    want to know what your take and experience with ECS motherboard. Any
    thought is fine.

    Thank You.

    Raymond, Dec 29, 2003

  2. Raymond

    Ghost Guest

    In article <>, "Raymond"
    <> wrote:

    > I got a friend that told me if I buy an ECS motherboard, it will work fine
    > just the first few weeks and it will start to have problem after that. I
    > want to know what your take and experience with ECS motherboard. Any
    > thought is fine.
    >
    > Thank You.

    In a nutshell... ECS sux!!!

    Ghost, Dec 29, 2003

  3. Being employed by a company that trains students for IT Certifications,
    including the A+ we have been using the ECS boards for more than a year.

    As part of the course the student build a PC in class and they take these
    home on completion of the course. Of the 400 that have been purchased this
    year we have had only two hardware failures.

    I would be the first to agree that the layout of the boards are not as good
    as some other brands but value for $$$ that are better than others on the
    market

    Keith Heathcote, Dec 29, 2003
  4. Raymond

    Geoff Guest

    Keith Heathcote wrote:
    > Being employed by a company that trains students for IT
    > Certifications, including the A+ we have been using the ECS boards
    > for more than a year.
    >
    > As part of the course the student build a PC in class and they take
    > these home on completion of the course. Of the 400 that have been
    > purchased this year we have had only two hardware failures.
    >
    > I would be the first to agree that the layout of the boards are not
    > as good as some other brands but value for $$$ that are better than
    > others on the market

    yes i agree ECS make ok boards

    although 'value' boards don't tend to have as good quality parts in them, so
    on't last as long, thats what poeple mostly moan about

    for example, i have a dual cpu p3 board by ECS it worked fine for about a
    year and a half then died (it was on 24/7, so it certainly took some hammer)
    during that time, it hung umm about 2 times for no reason, once currupted
    it's bios needing reflash, and then died totaly due to blown caps
    (simple job, solder some new caps on, works again and carrys on to this day)
    :)
    so in all it's not the best board ever, but the cost of it way outways it's
    slightly most unstable nature over a make like gigabyte or something
    model is D6VAA

    Geoff, Dec 29, 2003
  5. Raymond

    Nate Guest

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 21:45:47 -0600, Raymond wrote:

    > I got a friend that told me if I buy an ECS motherboard, it will work
    > fine just the first few weeks and it will start to have problem after
    > that. I want to know what your take and experience with ECS
    > motherboard. Any thought is fine.
    >
    > Thank You.

    If it were me I would probably avoid buying another ECS MB. I had a K7S5A
    that would not run reliably with a 133mhz FSB, it would run a 100mhz FSB
    fine however. It was an inexpensive board but it couldn't operate as
    advertised so I lost money buy buying it, then replacing it with a
    different board later on.

    Your mileage may vary of course, but I would look at other brands with a
    better reputation and spend the extra money on a decent board. A better MB
    with comparable features for your application can probably be had for only
    another $10-$20. Money well spent considering the importance a MB plays in
    the performance of your system. You can buy the best components and
    install the most reliable OS but it won't mean a thing if everything is
    running a flaky MB.

    Good Luck,
    Nate

    Nate, Dec 30, 2003
  6. Raymond

    Raymond Guest

    Thank You all.

    Raymond, Dec 31, 2003
  7. Raymond wrote:

    > I got a friend that told me if I buy an ECS motherboard, it will work fine
    > just the first few weeks and it will start to have problem after that. I
    > want to know what your take and experience with ECS motherboard. Any
    > thought is fine.

    I'm a little late to this thread but I thought I would contribute. I
    have purchased three or four ECS K7S5As. One was DOA, which was quickly
    fixed by a trip to the retailer for an even swap. While the boards lack
    features I've never had any problems beyond the DOA. I only bought the
    boards as part of a processor/motherboard deal at Fry's Electronics,
    mind you; I would never buy one by itself.

    --
    - Michael J. Astrauskas

    Michael J. Astrauskas, Jan 2, 2004
  8. Raymond

    Pat Guest

    > I'm a little late to this thread but I thought I would contribute. I
    > have purchased three or four ECS K7S5As. One was DOA, which was quickly
    > fixed by a trip to the retailer for an even swap. While the boards lack
    > features I've never had any problems beyond the DOA. I only bought the
    > boards as part of a processor/motherboard deal at Fry's Electronics,
    > mind you; I would never buy one by itself.
    >
    > --
    > - Michael J. Astrauskas

    Hey, so did I! But, that's been about a year ago and it's still running
    just fine. The motherboard manual was screwed up, though. The paragraph on
    setting the clock multipliers was backwards!

    Pat in TX

    Pat, Jan 4, 2004
  9. Raymond

    Pat Guest

    > > Hey, so did I! But, that's been about a year ago and it's still
    > > running
    > > just fine. The motherboard manual was screwed up, though. The
    > > paragraph on
    > > setting the clock multipliers was backwards!
    > >
    > > Pat in TX
    > > > *

    > Makes you wonder just how much Fry's pays for them. This weekends
    > special ECS motherboard with AMD Duron 1.6GHz $39 U.S. no mail in
    > rebate required. Looks like they give you the motherboard for free if
    > you buy the chip.

    Yes, that's pretty much the idea. When I couldn't get my setup to boot, I
    brought it in and asked to talk to a tech about it. He was pretty snotty
    and told me that the problem was probably my brand new keyboard! I asked
    him to put it on the bench and try to boot it (it wouldn't even post). He
    said that he couldn't tell anything about the post beeps or lack of beeps.
    He said that I had to go home and bring back my memory to test the
    motherboard. I told him that he could use some of Fry's because he should
    have some on his test bench. He replied that he didn't! He said "there are
    too many types of memory for you to expect us to keep samples of all of them
    for our test benches." I told him that he was a lousy excuse for a computer
    tech and turned to take my motherboard and CPU home.

    On the way out, by the refunds area (this is in Arlington, TX), I noticed a
    fully set up test area. I asked the guy there if he could test my
    motherboard. When he saw the board, he knew exactly what was wrong because,
    as he said, "We have had 25 of these come back with the same problem. There
    is a misprint in the motherboard manual." He reconfigured it, put some of
    the store's memory in it, and fired it up on the test bench. It worked
    perfectly and has ever since. Funny that he would have some DIMMs and yet
    the service area wouldn't, isn't it? I was both pissed off and relieved at
    the same time.

    I wrote an angry letter to the chain's president and got a somewhat nice
    reply that proved that the president doesn't know squat about computers (he
    didn't know what the P.O.S.T. was at all). He just said that the first guy
    wasn't representative of the Fry's quality team and the second guy was. At
    least I got in a good word for the second guy.....Oh, and the second guy
    said, "The service techs should all know about this: we've had so many come
    back already!"

    That has to be the sleaziest store ever in terms of customer service. It's
    like fighting a battle to get something done every time. The first guy was
    the store's regular worker; the second was probably some newbie that hadn't
    yet learned to be surly to customers.

    Pat in TX

    Pat, Jan 5, 2004