"Your drive allows you to change the region 4 more time(s)."

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Michael Mason, Feb 21, 2006.

  1. Hi everyone,

    I have an LG DVD-RW drive. A buddy of mine bought a DVD online that
    turned out to be from the UK. He asked me to copy it for him so he could
    watch it on his DVD player here in Canada.

    To my surprise, when I fired up DVD Shrink, it told me that it could read
    the disk if its region setting were changed... something that could only
    be done 4 more times.

    Why?

    What happens when it's 0 more times? Does it remain "stuck" in that
    region setting?

    Is it the program that manages this or does it "flick a switch" in the
    drive's firmware that keeps track of the changes? If so, is there
    something I can do to "reset the counter" if and when the need arises?

    I don't think that this is a long-term issue, but I want to make sure that
    if I do end up getting something on EBay or find something interesting on
    amazon.co.uk that isn't available in the US and I want to watch it on a
    NTSC DVD player, that I won't be crippling my equipment in the process.

    Thoughts? I can't seem to find anything on this subject using a
    traditional google search.

    THanks,
    Mike

    Michael Mason, Feb 21, 2006

  2. Michael Mason

    Merlin Guest

    http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html
    --
    Festus Noodleman

    Merlin, Feb 21, 2006

  3. Michael Mason

    P Pron Guest

    Michael Mason wrote:
    || Hi everyone,
    || I have an LG DVD-RW drive. A buddy of mine bought a DVD online that
    || turned out to be from the UK. He asked me to copy it for him so he
    || could watch it on his DVD player here in Canada.
    || To my surprise, when I fired up DVD Shrink, it told me that it could
    || read the disk if its region setting were changed... something that
    || could only be done 4 more times.
    || Why?
    || What happens when it's 0 more times? Does it remain "stuck" in that
    || region setting?
    || Is it the program that manages this or does it "flick a switch" in
    || the drive's firmware that keeps track of the changes? If so, is
    || there something I can do to "reset the counter" if and when the need
    || arises?
    || I don't think that this is a long-term issue, but I want to make
    || sure that if I do end up getting something on EBay or find something
    || interesting on amazon.co.uk that isn't available in the US and I
    || want to watch it on a NTSC DVD player, that I won't be crippling my
    || equipment in the process.
    || Thoughts? I can't seem to find anything on this subject using a
    || traditional google search.
    || THanks,
    || Mike

    Have a look at http://www.dvd43.com/ - it's free, and should do the trick

    paul

    P Pron, Feb 21, 2006
  4. Michael Mason

    Bratboy Guest

    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I have an LG DVD-RW drive. A buddy of mine bought a DVD online that
    > turned out to be from the UK. He asked me to copy it for him so he could
    > watch it on his DVD player here in Canada.
    >
    > To my surprise, when I fired up DVD Shrink, it told me that it could read
    > the disk if its region setting were changed... something that could only
    > be done 4 more times.
    >
    > Why?
    >
    > What happens when it's 0 more times? Does it remain "stuck" in that
    > region setting?
    >
    > Is it the program that manages this or does it "flick a switch" in the
    > drive's firmware that keeps track of the changes? If so, is there
    > something I can do to "reset the counter" if and when the need arises?
    >
    > I don't think that this is a long-term issue, but I want to make sure that
    > if I do end up getting something on EBay or find something interesting on
    > amazon.co.uk that isn't available in the US and I want to watch it on a
    > NTSC DVD player, that I won't be crippling my equipment in the process.
    >
    > Thoughts? I can't seem to find anything on this subject using a
    > traditional google search.
    >
    > THanks,
    > Mike

    Yes, if you dont use an app like AnyDVD most DVD drives allow 5 region
    changes and when you get to the last change your stuck with that region.
    Apps like AnyDVD and a few others can get around the limitation

    Bratboy, Feb 21, 2006
  5. Michael Mason

    Allan Guest

    Does it allow for Region 9???

    (That's Region Free)

    9 Expansion (often used as region free)

    On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 09:27:53 -0700, "Bratboy"
    <> wrote:

    >"Michael Mason" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi everyone,
    >>
    >> I have an LG DVD-RW drive. A buddy of mine bought a DVD online that
    >> turned out to be from the UK. He asked me to copy it for him so he could
    >> watch it on his DVD player here in Canada.
    >>
    >> To my surprise, when I fired up DVD Shrink, it told me that it could read
    >> the disk if its region setting were changed... something that could only
    >> be done 4 more times.
    >>
    >> Why?
    >>
    >> What happens when it's 0 more times? Does it remain "stuck" in that
    >> region setting?
    >>
    >> Is it the program that manages this or does it "flick a switch" in the
    >> drive's firmware that keeps track of the changes? If so, is there
    >> something I can do to "reset the counter" if and when the need arises?
    >>
    >> I don't think that this is a long-term issue, but I want to make sure that
    >> if I do end up getting something on EBay or find something interesting on
    >> amazon.co.uk that isn't available in the US and I want to watch it on a
    >> NTSC DVD player, that I won't be crippling my equipment in the process.
    >>
    >> Thoughts? I can't seem to find anything on this subject using a
    >> traditional google search.
    >>
    >> THanks,
    >> Mike

    >Yes, if you dont use an app like AnyDVD most DVD drives allow 5 region
    >changes and when you get to the last change your stuck with that region.
    >Apps like AnyDVD and a few others can get around the limitation

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Feb 22, 2006