    <http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=661>: that you should temporarily take
    control of their machines with your own infection for the duration of the
    transaction.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 21, 2007

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > Some large proportion of the world's privately-owned PCs (anything from 1/3
    > upwards, depending on who you ask) are not under the complete control of
    > their owners. If you're running some online shop, some corresponding
    > proportion of your customers will be infected. So how do you deal with
    > this? Here's one controversial suggestion
    > <http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=661>: that you should temporarily take
    > control of their machines with your own infection for the duration of the
    > transaction.

    Cool paradox in the end summed up by one of the readers. In the end I
    think the next step regardless will be one time root kits or more
    invasive checking of a machine you are about to triad with. either way
    the future looks kinda grim. In the past the internet was built on trust
    now how do we proceed with fear doubt and confusion? or with brave bold
    big steps!

    Robert Cooze, Nov 21, 2007

  3. On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 06:15:16 +1300, Robert Cooze wrote:

    > Cool paradox in the end summed up by one of the readers. In the end I
    > think the next step regardless will be one time root kits or more
    > invasive checking of a machine you are about to triad with. either way
    > the future looks kinda grim. In the past the internet was built on trust
    > now how do we proceed with fear doubt and confusion? or with brave bold
    > big steps!

    What we do now is to proceed with brave bold new steps. We give PCs free
    reign until it is confirmed that they are part of a botnet, in which case
    we simply do not permit that PC (unique MAC address) - or any PC behind
    the same router/firewall - to connect to the Internet until it has been
    certified as being free of malware and the ISP has cited that certification.

    If ISPs actively took those steps we will quickly kill of most of the
    malicious activity on the Internet.

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Nov 21, 2007