    can beat these.

    I tried posting the link before but it didn't work and reposted a corrected
    link but it didn't seem to ever appear. Trying again. Hope it works.
    Richard Bornstein, Oct 25, 2005

  2. Richard Bornstein

    Jasen Guest

    "Richard Bornstein" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi: I shot the following pictures with a Kodak LS753 camera. Your

    comments

    http://cards.webshots.com/invite/pickup/106778739QZHE/album/480100938UxNJpP
    > (just click on 'no thanks').
    >
    > My wife says that i can sell some of my pictures, but in my opinion they
    > are nice, but there is alot of wonderful professionals out that there that
    > can beat these.
    >
    > I tried posting the link before but it didn't work and reposted a

    corrected
    > link but it didn't seem to ever appear. Trying again. Hope it works.

    don't listen to your wife. Just nod and say "yes dear".
    Jasen, Oct 25, 2005

  3. Richard Bornstein

    Mark² Guest

    Richard Bornstein wrote:
    > Hi: I shot the following pictures with a Kodak LS753 camera. Your
    > comments are appreciated.
    >
    > I hope it works, and doesn't just connect to a webshots blank page.
    >
    > http://community.webshots.com/album/480100938UxNJpP
    >
    > If that doesn't work, perhaps this will:
    > http://cards.webshots.com/invite/pickup/106778739QZHE/album/480100938UxNJpP
    > (just click on 'no thanks').
    >
    > My wife says that i can sell some of my pictures, but in my opinion
    > they are nice, but there is alot of wonderful professionals out that
    > there that can beat these.

    I would suggest that you sell them to your wife.
    :)
    Mark², Oct 25, 2005
  4. > My wife says that i can sell some of my pictures, but in my opinion they
    > are nice, but there is alot of wonderful professionals out that there that
    > can beat these.

    Your wife is just being kind. They're just your holiday photos. Many are
    washed out and undersaturated, and most are of subjects that might be
    interesting to you personally but are totally dull to the independent
    observer. I looked through the first 8 pages and couldn't find a single
    one that had any real photographic or artistic merit. And if you really
    want comments you can learn from, don't put up 165 images, put up 5.

    Well, you did ask. Twice.
    Derek Fountain, Oct 25, 2005
  5. Richard Bornstein

    Gormless Guest

    Gormless, Oct 25, 2005
  6. Thanks for all your comments. They were very much appreciated.

    As for saturation, etc, i should say that all these pictures were not
    adjusted in any way. Sorry bout the excess amount of pictures, i just
    posted a link that had all the pics of that trip.

    Richard Bornstein, Oct 26, 2005
  7. Richard Bornstein

    > Thanks for all your comments. They were very much appreciated.
    >
    > As for saturation, etc, i should say that all these pictures were not
    > adjusted in any way. Sorry bout the excess amount of pictures, i just
    > posted a link that had all the pics of that trip.
    >

    > "Richard Bornstein" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi: I shot the following pictures with a Kodak LS753 camera. Your

    > comments
    > > are appreciated.
    > >
    > > I hope it works, and doesn't just connect to a webshots blank page.
    > >
    > > http://community.webshots.com/album/480100938UxNJpP
    > >
    > > If that doesn't work, perhaps this will:

    http://cards.webshots.com/invite/pickup/106778739QZHE/album/480100938UxNJpP
    > > (just click on 'no thanks').
    > >
    > > My wife says that i can sell some of my pictures, but in my opinion

    they
    > > are nice, but there is alot of wonderful professionals out that there

    that
    > > can beat these.
    > >
    > > I tried posting the link before but it didn't work and reposted a

    > corrected
    > > link but it didn't seem to ever appear. Trying again. Hope it works.

    No worries. Keep trying and keep learning and you never know what you can
    do later on.
    Jasen, Oct 26, 2005
  8. Richard Bornstein

    Roy Guest

    > Hi: I shot the following pictures with a Kodak LS753 camera. Your
    > comments
    > are appreciated.
    >
    > I hope it works, and doesn't just connect to a webshots blank page.
    >
    > http://community.webshots.com/album/480100938UxNJpP
    >
    > If that doesn't work, perhaps this will:
    > http://cards.webshots.com/invite/pickup/106778739QZHE/album/480100938UxNJpP
    > (just click on 'no thanks').
    >
    > My wife says that i can sell some of my pictures, but in my opinion they
    > are nice, but there is alot of wonderful professionals out that there that
    > can beat these.
    >
    > I tried posting the link before but it didn't work and reposted a
    > corrected
    > link but it didn't seem to ever appear. Trying again. Hope it works.

    Hi there.

    You have had a few comments, and do not seem to be too upset about the
    negative ones. That is good, think about what these posters have said, and
    try to apply that advice to your next shoot.

    The real difference between the "good" photographers and the rest, has a lot
    to do with them keeping the "ordinary" stuff out of sight.

    5 really good pics creates a much better impression than 165 which only
    includes 5 good ones.

    Roy G
    Roy, Oct 26, 2005
  9. Richard Bornstein

    > Hi: I shot the following pictures with a Kodak LS753 camera. Your

    comments
    > are appreciated.
    >
    > I hope it works, and doesn't just connect to a webshots blank page.
    >
    > http://community.webshots.com/album/480100938UxNJpP
    >
    > If that doesn't work, perhaps this will:

    http://cards.webshots.com/invite/pickup/106778739QZHE/album/480100938UxNJpP
    > (just click on 'no thanks').
    >
    > My wife says that i can sell some of my pictures, but in my opinion they
    > are nice, but there is alot of wonderful professionals out that there that
    > can beat these.
    >
    > I tried posting the link before but it didn't work and reposted a

    corrected
    > link but it didn't seem to ever appear. Trying again. Hope it works.

    My further advice is to buy a few books or do a course on photography. Books
    buy John Shaw on the art of nature photography are very good and are
    available cheaply via
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/102-1558890-8072119
    Learn how to "see" a good image through the lens. Keep things simple and go
    for good colour and clarity (black and white is much harder than colour)
    Use the rule of thirds, very important, and if you must centralise the
    subject, fill the frame with it, or at least enough that you can crop it
    later. Use a polarising filter for landscapes as it will make them much
    clearer with better contrast and colours. The image should be jumping out
    at you if you want to sell it. Be your own hardest critic and throw out the
    crap.
    After all of that you should begin to get somewhere.
    cheers
    Jasen
    Jasen, Oct 26, 2005
  10. Richard Bornstein

    Jasen Guest

    Jasen, Oct 26, 2005
  11. I appreciate the comment about polarizing filter, but the camera is a
    point-and-shoot. Is there any way to put on the filter?

    As for the pictures I took, personally i liked the pictures that I took on
    my hikes in the woods, closeups of the plants and such.

    Richard Bornstein, Oct 27, 2005
  12. Richard Bornstein

    > I appreciate the comment about polarizing filter, but the camera is a
    > point-and-shoot. Is there any way to put on the filter?
    >
    > As for the pictures I took, personally i liked the pictures that I took on
    > my hikes in the woods, closeups of the plants and such.

    Ah, now it's all clear. There are limitations to what you can and can't
    shot with a P&S. That's fine if you like what you took, but to try and sell
    that work isn't going to be easy. Heck, it isn't easy with really good
    photography sometimes. I'd doubt if you can put a polariser on your camera,
    but have a search for other attachments you might be able to fit on the lens
    housing. Dimage P&S cameras have things such as a fishlens for example, so
    there might be things like that. I still seriously recommend getting some
    reading material though and learn how to take shots properly and differently
    to others enough to stand out.
    good luck.

    Jasen, Oct 27, 2005
  13. Thanks again. I have some knowledge of the basics of the technics of
    photography, but I don't think I have the creative sense that top
    photographers need.
    Rick

    Richard Bornstein, Oct 28, 2005
  14. Richard Bornstein

    Mark² Guest

    Richard Bornstein wrote:
    > Thanks again. I have some knowledge of the basics of the technics of
    > photography, but I don't think I have the creative sense that top
    > photographers need.
    > Rick

    That's about how I feel about my photos a lot of the time.
    They are pleasing...to ME...but I don't have all sorts of creative eyeballs
    that lead to uniquely conceived shots.
    I have what I think are some nice photos, like the first few of these:
    http://www.pbase.com/markuson/maui_2004
    -But most of my photos are for *me, and not necessarily what others are
    looking for.

    That's one thing that makes doing this as a JOB different.
    You have to focus on what OTHERS find pleasing, rather than simply what is
    pleasing to yourself.
    That's not a bad thing, though, since much of the pleasure in photography is
    in creating images others appreciate...but when it turns into a money-making
    venture, a new pressure arrives that I'm not all too fond of.
    Others find great satisfaction in this aspect. I'm not so sure I would.
    It's not as fun when I'm being paid to do it. It reminds me of when I was a
    kid. If I was mowing a friend's lawn as a favor, I did it with great
    vigor...but when it was my regular, Saturday morning chores at home...it was
    drudgery.
    :)
    Mark², Oct 28, 2005
  15. In article <>, Richard Bornstein
    <> writes
    >Hi: I shot the following pictures with a Kodak LS753 camera. Your comments
    >are appreciated.
    >
    >I hope it works, and doesn't just connect to a webshots blank page.
    >
    >http://community.webshots.com/album/480100938UxNJpP
    >
    >If that doesn't work, perhaps this will:
    >http://cards.webshots.com/invite/pickup/106778739QZHE/album/480100938UxNJpP
    >(just click on 'no thanks').
    >
    >My wife says that i can sell some of my pictures, but in my opinion they
    >are nice, but there is alot of wonderful professionals out that there that
    >can beat these.
    >
    >I tried posting the link before but it didn't work and reposted a corrected
    >link but it didn't seem to ever appear. Trying again. Hope it works.

    Richard,

    At the risk of repeating some of the comments of others, I don't think
    you could sell any of these pictures, but you do show the signs of
    having a good eye. With some changes and experience you would improve
    very much. Don't think of this as discouraging, many people seem to be
    unable to frame a picture at any price.

    In detail:

    1 I noticed quite a few pictures which showed camera shake. This is a
    very common fault, caused by (a) using too slow a shutter speed; (b) not
    learning how to brace the camera while releasing the shutter; (c)
    stabbing the shutter too vigorously. Small P&S cameras are probably the
    hardest to handle here; they are very light (thus no inertia to resist
    impulse) and often offer no way of controlling the shutter speed in use.

    2 Again, quite a few photos showed exposure errors, mostly
    over-exposure. Learn to read the LCD screen immediately after the shot,
    and be prepared to delete and repeat if necessary. If the LCD review is
    not very good, be prepared to bracket and do the selection at home
    later. Also, if you are still not happy with the exposure of the only or
    best shot, learn how to tweak it in an image editing program later. One
    or two of the shots (Fall River Falls and 100-0940 spring to mind - I
    have an oil painting above my computer very similar to the latter) would
    look good on the wall with the correct exposure. If you want to become
    serious, get a good book on exposure (it doesn't matter if it covers
    film, most of the principles are the same).

    3 The flower shots show potential, but some had focus errors, and most
    of them had too much depth of field. Again, I suspect this is partly
    because of the equipment you used. A P&S with a tiny sensor will tend to
    have a very great DoF because of the small focal length of the lens, and
    even wide open may not give ideal results. Also, your P&S may not allow
    you to control aperture easily. Using a 35mm film camera or a DSLR with
    an APS-C or larger sensor will allow you to throw the background out of
    focus and produce a much better result.

    4 And, yes, it has to be said that there are a lot of very dull shots
    there. Lots of hazy hills and empty roads among many others. Now please
    don't think I'm being snooty here; I just got back from a 5-day trip
    with several hundred pictures, and the percentage of awfully dull
    "seemed like a good idea at the time" or "it means something to me as a
    memento" shots is not that different from yours. However, I would not
    show them to anyone outside the family (and them only for the content,
    as it were). Learn to be selective in what you show to others. If a
    picture does not stick in your mind for quite a time, how do you expect
    others to be wowed by it?

    Here is what I would suggest you do at this stage:

    (A) Chuck any images which are noticeably unsharp; sharpening can help
    with a little softness from AA filters in digital cameras but cannot
    retrieve pictures with camera shake or material focus errors. Also chuck
    any with major exposure errors.

    (B) Then put aside about half the pictures which just don't look
    interesting.

    (C) Any which look interesting but have slight exposure errors should be
    tweaked. A good book on the image editor of your choice will explain
    this, or come back later and ask.

    (D) Then select the ones - probably at most 10% of the total - which
    really catch your eye. Remove any blemishes, re-size if necessary for
    the final output and apply a little unsharp mask if necessary (your P&S
    probably over-sharpens in camera; a DSLR will almost certainly need some
    USM as they mostly do little in-camera sharpening).

    (E) Show prints of these to a dispassionate audience (i.e. preferably
    not your wife) and see what they say. Some will receive praise, some
    will get brickbats; many of these will surprise you, but gradually some
    of the feedback will make sense.

    (F) If there are camera clubs in your locality, consider joining one and
    entering their competitions and exhibitions. However, you often find a
    very stifling, old fashioned view of what makes a good picture.

    (G) Repeat the above until you see that your equipment is holding you
    back. Buy a DSLR. And lenses. And a tripod ....

    (H) Repeat until you realise that you are producing stuff which is (in
    the small percentage which sees the light of day) good enough to stand
    open comparison with the work of others you admire.

    (I) Realise (at least in my case!) that selling photos is just too
    frustrating, and that there are other ways of making a lot more money
    which leaves you time to please yourself!

    YMMV

    Hope you find this helpful, do come back with any specific issues.

    David
    --
    David Littlewood
    David Littlewood, Oct 28, 2005
  16. Richard Bornstein

    Cathy Guest

    > Richard Bornstein wrote:
    > > Thanks again. I have some knowledge of the basics of the technics of
    > > photography, but I don't think I have the creative sense that top
    > > photographers need.
    > > Rick

    > That's about how I feel about my photos a lot of the time.
    > They are pleasing...to ME...but I don't have all sorts of creative

    eyeballs
    > that lead to uniquely conceived shots.
    > I have what I think are some nice photos, like the first few of these:
    > http://www.pbase.com/markuson/maui_2004
    > -But most of my photos are for *me, and not necessarily what others

    are
    > looking for.

    Mark, lovely photos. Is that you at the waterfall? If so, you are a good
    looking guy. Nice picture with you and a young woman too.

    Cathy
    Cathy, Oct 28, 2005
  17. Richard Bornstein

    Mark² Guest

    Cathy wrote:
    >> Richard Bornstein wrote:
    >>> Thanks again. I have some knowledge of the basics of the technics of
    >>> photography, but I don't think I have the creative sense that top
    >>> photographers need.
    >>> Rick

    >> That's about how I feel about my photos a lot of the time.
    >> They are pleasing...to ME...but I don't have all sorts of creative
    >> eyeballs that lead to uniquely conceived shots.
    >> I have what I think are some nice photos, like the first few of
    >> these: http://www.pbase.com/markuson/maui_2004
    >> -But most of my photos are for *me, and not necessarily what others
    >> are looking for.

    > Mark, lovely photos. Is that you at the waterfall? If so, you are a
    > good looking guy.

    Wow! Thanks!
    :)

    >Nice picture with you and a young woman too.
    >
    > Cathy

    Double wow!
    -I'm sure you will absolutely make my wife's day when I show her your
    comments about the "young woman..." seeing as she's 4 1/2 years older than
    me, and I tease her every birthday about robbing the cradle, etc. :)
    A tripod comes in handy when you want to actually get into one of your own
    photos for a change, like in those two... :)
    Thank you for your kind remarks.
    -Mark
    Mark², Oct 29, 2005
  18. Richard Bornstein

    Mark² Guest

    Mark², Oct 29, 2005
  19. Richard Bornstein

    Mark² Guest

    David Littlewood wrote:
    > In article <>, Richard Bornstein
    > <> writes
    >> Hi: I shot the following pictures with a Kodak LS753 camera. Your
    >> comments are appreciated.
    >>
    >> I hope it works, and doesn't just connect to a webshots blank page.
    >>
    >> http://community.webshots.com/album/480100938UxNJpP
    >>
    >> If that doesn't work, perhaps this will:
    >> http://cards.webshots.com/invite/pickup/106778739QZHE/album/480100938UxNJpP
    >> (just click on 'no thanks').
    >>
    >> My wife says that i can sell some of my pictures, but in my opinion
    >> they are nice, but there is alot of wonderful professionals out that
    >> there that can beat these.
    >>
    >> I tried posting the link before but it didn't work and reposted a
    >> corrected link but it didn't seem to ever appear. Trying again.
    >> Hope it works.

    > Richard,
    >
    > At the risk of repeating some of the comments of others, I don't think
    > you could sell any of these pictures, but you do show the signs of
    > having a good eye. With some changes and experience you would improve
    > very much. Don't think of this as discouraging, many people seem to be
    > unable to frame a picture at any price.

    <Snip of EXCELLENT commentary and advice from D. Littlewood>

    (I) Realise (at least in my case!) that selling photos is just too
    > frustrating, and that there are other ways of making a lot more money
    > which leaves you time to please yourself!
    >
    > YMMV
    >
    > Hope you find this helpful, do come back with any specific issues.
    >
    > David

    You're a good guy, David.
    :)
    Great post and suggestions.
    I would only add one thing, which is to anyone else listening regarding
    exposure...
    -Even though it's old news, I continue to be AMAZED at the ability to
    recover poorly exosed shots during RAW processing(!!). Truly amazing. RSE
    is particularly good for doing this quickly, with results immediately
    revealed and duplicated for similarly problematic shots. I think many here
    on this forum continue to cheat themselves out of perhaps the most powerful
    aspecdt of digital by ignoring their RAW image capabilities. What an
    incredibly enabling tool!

    I suspect the OP wasn't using a camera that offers RAW mode, but for others,
    I guess this is just one more plug to give RAW a whirl--Especially with such
    excellent and FREE tools like RSE, which make the whole RAW issue intuitive
    and simple.

    -Mark2
    Mark², Oct 29, 2005
  20. Richard Bornstein

    Cathy Guest

    > Cathy wrote:
    > > "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in

    message

    of

    > >> That's about how I feel about my photos a lot of the time.
    > >> They are pleasing...to ME...but I don't have all sorts of creative
    > >> eyeballs that lead to uniquely conceived shots.
    > >> I have what I think are some nice photos, like the first few of
    > >> these: http://www.pbase.com/markuson/maui_2004
    > >> -But most of my photos are for *me, and not necessarily what others
    > >> are looking for.

    > > Mark, lovely photos. Is that you at the waterfall? If so, you are a
    > > good looking guy.

    > Wow! Thanks!
    > :)

    You're welcome.

    > >Nice picture with you and a young woman too.
    > >
    > > Cathy

    > Double wow!
    > -I'm sure you will absolutely make my wife's day when I show her your
    > comments about the "young woman..." seeing as she's 4 1/2 years older

    than
    > me, and I tease her every birthday about robbing the cradle, etc. :)

    Well, everybody needs compliments now and then. Keeps us going :)

    4 1/2 years is only important when you are in your teens and makes more
    of a difference when younger than 15. When I was around 15, I used to go
    to my cousins house and he was 11 years old and I thought what a kid :)
    nothing in common at all. But now, a man 4 1/2 years younger than me is
    nothing. In fact, 10 years younger is nothing - unless he looked
    younger, then that would be
    no good :)

    > A tripod comes in handy when you want to actually get into one of your

    own
    > photos for a change, like in those two... :)
    > Thank you for your kind remarks.

    Isn't it difficult when using a tripod such as in that case, to know if
    you are going to be in the right place in the picture? The picture of
    you and your wife is good as you are both pretty well in the middle of
    the photo, as if someone took it. I've taken quite a few self timer
    photos and they have turned out well, but not with a tripod.
    By the way, when on Pbase and other photo sites, I am always interested
    in what camera model certain photos are taken with, but I don't always
    see that information. Do people posting photos not always mention what
    camera they are using?

    Cathy
    Cathy, Oct 29, 2005