Your color laser printer may be ratting on you

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by SgtMinor, Oct 19, 2005.

  1. SgtMinor

    SgtMinor Guest

    SgtMinor, Oct 19, 2005

  2. The Old Sourdough, Oct 19, 2005

  3. SgtMinor

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 08:45:26 -0400, SgtMinor
    <> wrote:

    >In an effort to make the world safer for fascism, some color laser
    >printers embedding a secret code on their output:
    >
    >http://www.news24.com/News24/Technology/News/0,,2-13-1443_1819331,00.html#

    Ok, so I go to staples, buy a printer, pay cash, and leave.

    How are they going to trace it back to me without a 'reference' print?
    i.e. my letterhead, or a letter to mom....

    Evam

    Evan Platt, Oct 19, 2005
  4. SgtMinor

    EricP Guest

    On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 09:56:31 -0700, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 08:45:26 -0400, SgtMinor
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>In an effort to make the world safer for fascism, some color laser
    >>printers embedding a secret code on their output:
    >>
    >>http://www.news24.com/News24/Technology/News/0,,2-13-1443_1819331,00.html#

    >Ok, so I go to staples, buy a printer, pay cash, and leave.
    >
    >How are they going to trace it back to me without a 'reference' print?
    >i.e. my letterhead, or a letter to mom....
    >
    >Evam

    Exactly. All they are trying to do is be able to tie a particular
    printed piece of paper to a particular printer, like they could with
    old typewriters. "Yes your honour, this printer produced the document
    in question".

    So nobody has found the GPS chip in Canon printers then??
    :))

    EricP, Oct 19, 2005
  5. SgtMinor

    SgtMinor Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:
    > On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 08:45:26 -0400, SgtMinor
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>In an effort to make the world safer for fascism, some color laser
    >>printers embedding a secret code on their output:
    >>
    >>http://www.news24.com/News24/Technology/News/0,,2-13-1443_1819331,00.html#

    > Ok, so I go to staples, buy a printer, pay cash, and leave.
    >
    > How are they going to trace it back to me without a 'reference' print?
    > i.e. my letterhead, or a letter to mom....
    >
    > Evam

    They'll know which Staples store sold it and you'll be recorded on the
    store video camera. If the coded message is unique to the machine, who
    needs a reference print?

    The questions is, why does this need to be done in the first place, and
    if it's so innocuous - like the VIN on a car - why aren't we told about
    it?

    Whenever something's done in secret you should worry.

    SgtMinor, Oct 19, 2005
  6. SgtMinor

    TNKEV Guest

    SgtMinor wrote:
    > if it's so innocuous - like the VIN on a car -

    A VIN may not be as innocuous as you think,I work for a dealership and
    from only the last 8 digits of a VIN I can get the original owners
    name address and telephone # and the code to cut a key. newer vehicles
    have anti theft and the key has to be programmed to the vehicle to
    start the engine but the door can be opened.

    at this dealer you would have to show me proof you own the vehicle
    before a key would be cut,but not all dealerships are as stringent.
    I have a piece of paper covering my VIN.

    --
    http://www.hostmybb.com/phpbb/index.php?mforum=rftg
    B-N-Ps, no B no Ps,no spam, trades,post,chat

    TNKEV, Oct 19, 2005
  7. SgtMinor

    Top Guest

    "TNKEV" <> wrote in

    >SgtMinor wrote:
    >> if it's so innocuous - like the VIN on a car -

    > A VIN may not be as innocuous as you think,I work for a dealership
    > and from only the last 8 digits of a VIN I can get the original
    > owners
    >name address and telephone # and the code to cut a key. newer
    >vehicles
    > have anti theft and the key has to be programmed to the vehicle to
    > start the engine but the door can be opened.
    >
    > at this dealer you would have to show me proof you own the vehicle
    > before a key would be cut,but not all dealerships are as
    > stringent.
    > I have a piece of paper covering my VIN.

    Just curious, how far back could you go? I mean could you do that for
    a car from the 50s?

    Top

    --
    Live Life and Enjoy It....

    Top, Oct 19, 2005
  8. SgtMinor

    Toolman Tim Guest

    EricP wrote:
    > On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 09:56:31 -0700, Evan Platt
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 08:45:26 -0400, SgtMinor
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> In an effort to make the world safer for fascism, some color laser
    >>> printers embedding a secret code on their output:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.news24.com/News24/Technology/News/0,,2-13-1443_1819331,00.html#

    >> Ok, so I go to staples, buy a printer, pay cash, and leave.
    >>
    >> How are they going to trace it back to me without a 'reference'
    >> print? i.e. my letterhead, or a letter to mom....
    >>
    >> Evam

    > Exactly. All they are trying to do is be able to tie a particular
    > printed piece of paper to a particular printer, like they could with
    > old typewriters. "Yes your honour, this printer produced the document
    > in question".
    >
    > So nobody has found the GPS chip in Canon printers then??
    > :))

    THAT'S a scary thought <g>

    like an idiot.

    Toolman Tim, Oct 19, 2005
  9. SgtMinor

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 16:01:39 -0500, "TNKEV"
    <> wrote:

    > I have a piece of paper covering my VIN.

    I believe in most locations that's illegal. If a police officer wants
    to ticket your car, he'll generally verify the VIN matches the plate.

    And you do realize in California at least, you can go to the DMV's
    website, enter the plate # and get the VIN?

    Evan Platt, Oct 20, 2005
  10. SgtMinor

    SgtMinor Guest

    TNKEV wrote:
    > SgtMinor wrote:
    >> if it's so innocuous - like the VIN on a car -

    > A VIN may not be as innocuous as you think,I work for a dealership and
    > from only the last 8 digits of a VIN I can get the original owners
    > name address and telephone # and the code to cut a key. newer vehicles
    > have anti theft and the key has to be programmed to the vehicle to
    > start the engine but the door can be opened.
    >
    > at this dealer you would have to show me proof you own the vehicle
    > before a key would be cut,but not all dealerships are as stringent.
    > I have a piece of paper covering my VIN.

    Yeah, poor choice of words. I meant to describe the public nature of
    the VIN, not the harmlessness of it. As you outlined, it can easily be
    misused.

    I'm sure the piece of paper won't get you into trouble - unless it looks
    very intentional - but in most places I know of the VIN has to be
    publicly visible.

    SgtMinor, Oct 20, 2005
  11. SgtMinor

    Trax Guest