    operating in conformance with physical laws whose properties
    we don't truly understand.
    Bill Bryson; A Short History of Nearly Everything
    nuttin, Feb 7, 2004

  2. nuttin

    Cello Guest

    Canon 28-135 IS Lens - its about all I use outdoors. I use the Canon 50mm
    1.8 indoors. Expect to pay about $500 for both lenses if you shop right.

    Here are a couple of bird images:

    Make sure you view the image in the original size.

    http://www.pbase.com/image/25064952

    http://www.pbase.com/image/25064999

    Cello, Feb 8, 2004

  3. nuttin

    Mark M Guest

    "Cello" <> wrote in message
    > Canon 28-135 IS Lens - its about all I use outdoors. I use the Canon 50mm
    > 1.8 indoors. Expect to pay about $500 for both lenses if you shop right.
    >
    > Here are a couple of bird images:
    >
    > Make sure you view the image in the original size.
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/25064952
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/25064999

    A person who is mainly into birds will want MUCH more tele than that.
    You've got a couple of close images here, but most people into birds are
    going to want all the tele they can reasonably get.

    He'll want at least 300mm...even WITH the 1.6 crop/enlargement factor of the
    sensor in the 300D.
    400mm would be more like it, though getting that with a large aperture is
    big $$...
    Mark M, Feb 8, 2004
  4. nuttin

    nuttin Guest

    Actually, I'm a "she." And I rarely photograph perching birds. Mostly I go
    for wading birds and a lot of the time I'm in low light conditions. That's
    why I bought a Canon 75-300 IS lens today and took it out to the wildlife
    refuge to give it a whirl. When I was using film cameras I photographed
    with a PentaxAF and Sigma 400mm f5.6 combo and hated having toquit when the
    light was low. So I'm hoping I can get past this (for now, til I buy a 2.8
    lens) by using a faster ISO with the smaller aperture on the 75-300.
    However, this 300d I have seems quirky about changing ISO. If I press the
    ISO button and then turn the dial the ISO changes, but goes back to 125 when
    I press the shutter release. If I hold the ISO button and turn the dial I
    can sometimes get the ISO to stay changed. I wonder if this 300d is
    defective.
    thanks for the help..

    nuttin, Feb 8, 2004
  5. nuttin

    Mark M Guest

    "nuttin" <> wrote in message
    > Actually, I'm a "she." And I rarely photograph perching birds. Mostly I

    go
    > for wading birds and a lot of the time I'm in low light conditions.

    That's
    > why I bought a Canon 75-300 IS lens today and took it out to the wildlife
    > refuge to give it a whirl. When I was using film cameras I photographed
    > with a PentaxAF and Sigma 400mm f5.6 combo and hated having toquit when

    the
    > light was low. So I'm hoping I can get past this (for now, til I buy a

    2.8
    > lens) by using a faster ISO with the smaller aperture on the 75-300.
    > However, this 300d I have seems quirky about changing ISO. If I press the
    > ISO button and then turn the dial the ISO changes, but goes back to 125

    when
    > I press the shutter release. If I hold the ISO button and turn the dial I
    > can sometimes get the ISO to stay changed. I wonder if this 300d is
    > defective.
    > thanks for the help..

    That "125" is your shutter speed...not your ISO.
    It's supposed to do that.
    It will only show you the ISO while you are adjusting it.
    As soon as you push the shutter button, it reverts instantly to shooting
    mode, and it will show you shutter and aperture. This also means you were
    shooting birds at 1/125 shutter...far too slow.

    Perhaps you should go through the manual a bit. If this is a new camera to
    you, it's not surprising to here of these confusions.
    Mark M, Feb 8, 2004
  6. On 2004-02-08, Cello <> wrote:
    > Canon 28-135 IS Lens - its about all I use outdoors. I use the Canon 50mm
    > 1.8 indoors. Expect to pay about $500 for both lenses if you shop right.
    >
    > Here are a couple of bird images:
    >
    > Make sure you view the image in the original size.
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/25064952
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/25064999

    70-200L f/4 or any other L lense. L mean Lots of money to Canon,
    but they are sharper than their non-L cousins.
    Povl H. Pedersen, Feb 8, 2004
  7. nuttin

    Guest

    In message <I88Vb.46686$>,
    "nuttin" <> wrote:

    >What would you buy? why? I'm mainly shooting birds. Sometimes I need a
    >bigger f-stop for low light, but may use a faster ISO and see what I get.
    >If I buy a faster lens and use an extender on the 300D is that going to be
    >OK?

    Teleconverters are only fully useful when you have a sharp lens to begin
    with, which resolves more than your medium (sensor or film) can resolve
    cleanly. With a sharp telephoto prime, you can use 2x or even a 2x plus
    1.4x stacked (at least one must be non-canon, as explained below) and
    get more detail from the scene, with a smaller angle of view. With
    low-end lenses and all zooms, you may get some usefulness out of a 1.4x,
    but maybe not. Watch out for the Canon TCs; they are very good, but
    they only work with lenses that have a cavity on their rears of a
    certain diameter, as they have manufacturing safegauards against using
    their TCs with lenses they don't think are worth using with a TC.

    One example of lenses that benefit nothing from a TC are the Canon
    75-300mm lenses. Even the best one (the IS) has just about enough
    resolution at 300mm to almost challenge the resolution of the sensor,
    and any magnification from a TC is empty magnification, not unlike
    digital zoom. You could get better results with more available light
    for DOF and action-stopping by just doing all your zooming in software.
    --

    John P Sheehy <>
    , Feb 8, 2004