You need to work with the software

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by Tom Brown, Jun 27, 2004.

  1. Tom Brown

    Tom Brown Guest

    I became NT certified in 1998 by purchasing Windows NT 4 server and another
    computer. I installed NT Server on one machine and Windows NT 4 Workstation
    ( It came with the new computer) on the other. I then signed up for MCSE
    classes in Manhattan and took the courses. I used the Sybex books I
    received from school plus the notes from class and took them home and broke
    the little network I had over and over again. I passed every test the first
    time. I finished with 5 out of 6 for my MCSE but I did fail the SQL 6.5
    test by 20 points because I did not have the SQL software to play with.
    After completing these exams I put myself out there and received offers from
    several companies looking for accounting software consultants( I have
    experience as a staff accountant). I worked for 2 companies in that
    capacity in NYC until 9/11, after which the consulting gig I had at the time
    shut down for a while (they were located in 2 Broadway and did not open
    their offices for 2 weeks after that happened.) I then moved to Florida
    where I got a job doing accounting software consulting before I got my
    apartment. I intend to take the MCSE 2000 track and I will do my studying
    the same way. I do not see how anyone can expect to do well in a position
    as a MCP or MCSE without working with the software. If you do pass the
    tests without working on the software you may get a job with just your certs
    but believe me, you won't last very long on the front lines.
    Make sure you have some experience with the software, at least with working
    on your own small network, so you will know what to do when some thing
    happens you did not see in your testing. Besides, it's a lot of fun
    working with your own little network.
    Tom Brown, Jun 27, 2004

  2. Tom Brown

    Steve Guest

    Can I ask why you are taking the windows 2000 track?
    Since Windows 2003 is out now. My guess is Microsoft will
    start eliminating some of the windows 2000 exams towards
    the end of the year. When windows 2000 came out,
    Microsoft elimated win NT exams not far after that.

    Steve, Jun 28, 2004

  3. Tom Brown

    Tom Brown Guest

    Windows 2000 is much more established in the world right now. I think
    Windows 2000 certs right now would be more valuable than Windows 2003
    because there would be alot more shops using Win2000. Once I get a position
    with a shop using Win2000, after a period of time I can get certified in
    Win2003 when I need to and have my employer pay for it. Just FYI, my NT
    certifications are still valid. Microsoft still recognizes them, and my
    TCP/IP cert actually can be used as an elective for the Win2000 MCSE track.

    Tom Brown, Jun 28, 2004
  4. Tom Brown

    Consultant Guest

    vous prenez un chemin imprudent