    1. Advertising

  2. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Bruce, Oct 19, 2011

  3. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Eric Stevens <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 13:31:42 +0100, Bruce <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>RichA <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>http://www.amateurphotographer.co.u...n_stopped_amid_floods_update_news_310054.html

    >>The truth is *much worse than that*. Not only has Sony's Thai
    >>production stopped, but so has Nikon's and Canon's. ...

    >... not to mention Honda. The impact of the floods is more than on the
    >photographic industries and involves a lot of companies trying to
    >restore production after the Japanese earthquake.

    I didn't include Honda because the company has a negligible influence
    on digital photography.

    Perhaps you intended to post to rec.motorcycles?

    Bruce, Oct 19, 2011
  4. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Oct 19, 8:31 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    > RichA <> wrote:
    >
    > >http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Sonys_system_camera_product...

    > The truth is *much worse than that*.  Not only has Sony's Thai
    > production stopped, but so has Nikon's and Canon's.  There will be a
    > shortage of stock for the peak selling season - basically mid-November
    > to mid-January, in Europe at least - and retailers are not pleased.

    That is unfortunate. Christmas just being around the corner. I guess
    this is where JIT bites them in the ass?

    RichA, Oct 19, 2011
  5. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >On Oct 19, 8:31 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    >> RichA <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Sonys_system_camera_product...

    >> The truth is *much worse than that*.  Not only has Sony's Thai
    >> production stopped, but so has Nikon's and Canon's.  There will be a
    >> shortage of stock for the peak selling season - basically mid-November
    >> to mid-January, in Europe at least - and retailers are not pleased.

    >That is unfortunate. Christmas just being around the corner.

    I have spent most of this week locating and purchasing stock for the
    season for delivery before the end of October. I think I have managed
    to find just about enough Nikon, Sony, Panasonic and Olympus equipment
    for our needs, but Canon is more difficult.

    Olympus is the easiest, they always seem to have plenty of stock.

    I am working from home, but I understand our first Sigma SD1 arrived
    today. We had no option but to buy one. We have no orders for it. I
    have no idea how we will sell it - but we will, eventually.

    Bruce, Oct 20, 2011
  6. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 13:54:34 -0700 (PDT), RichA <> wrote:
    : On Oct 19, 8:31 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    : >
    :
    : That is unfortunate. Christmas just being around the corner. I guess
    : this is where JIT bites them in the ass?

    Maybe, maybe not. A natural disaster like this has two major consequences:
    loss of inventory and loss of production capacity. JIT tends to insure against
    loss of inventory. It doesn't insure against loss of production capacity, but
    only a foolish company concentrates a major fraction of its production in a
    flood plain. As you and Bruce have pointed out, what makes this event so
    serious is that it comes at about the worst possible time, disrupting
    production intended to meet the Christmas demand.

    It's bad for the Thai workers too, of course, but it's an ill wind that blows
    nobody any good. The companies' Japanese and Chinese plants will be working at
    full capacity, trying to catch up with the demand. Which raises another
    spectre: that quality will suffer, as it often does when things are done in a
    hurry.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Oct 21, 2011
  7. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 21:58:49 -0500, Rich <> wrote:
    : Bruce <> wrote in
    : news::
    : > I am working from home, but I understand our first Sigma SD1 arrived
    : > today. We had no option but to buy one. We have no orders for it. I
    : > have no idea how we will sell it - but we will, eventually.
    :
    : There's a store in Toronto called, Merkle Camera. They kind of specialize
    : in the weird. Sigma (They had the other SD's), Leica, etc. Maybe you can
    : fob it off on them? Though I don't know what the "rules" are regarding
    : this.

    Popular Photography has a review of the SD1 in their current issue. It's sort
    of amusing to see them grope for things to praise ("one of the most
    comfortable grips we've ever had the pleasure of wrapping our fingers around")
    about this ludicrously overpriced camera. I guess they'd prefer not to anger a
    major advertiser.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Oct 21, 2011
  8. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 13:54:34 -0700 (PDT), RichA <> wrote:
    >: On Oct 19, 8:31 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    >: > RichA <> wrote:
    >: >
    >: > >http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Sonys_system_camera_product...
    >: >
    >: > The truth is *much worse than that*.  Not only has Sony's Thai
    >: > production stopped, but so has Nikon's and Canon's.  There will be a
    >: > shortage of stock for the peak selling season - basically mid-November
    >: > to mid-January, in Europe at least - and retailers are not pleased.
    >:
    >: That is unfortunate. Christmas just being around the corner. I guess
    >: this is where JIT bites them in the ass?
    >
    >Maybe, maybe not. A natural disaster like this has two major consequences:
    >loss of inventory and loss of production capacity. JIT tends to insure against
    >loss of inventory. It doesn't insure against loss of production capacity, but
    >only a foolish company concentrates a major fraction of its production in a
    >flood plain. As you and Bruce have pointed out, what makes this event so
    >serious is that it comes at about the worst possible time, disrupting
    >production intended to meet the Christmas demand.

    Two points here. On the question of basing production plants in flood
    plains, that happens all over the world because the land is cheap and
    flat, and therefore easy and cheap to build large factories on. No
    doubt there will be an inquest into why the flood defences were
    insufficient to protect the land from inundation during this extreme
    weather event.

    On the question of loss of production, the problem is particularly
    acute for Sony because two key products were due to be launched, the
    NEX-7 mirrorless CSC and the A77 SLT.

    Some inventory has already been despatched from Thailand to major
    markets in the USA and Europe. The question is, what should Sony do
    with that inventory? Should the NEX-7 and A77 be released, knowing
    that the initial stocks will quickly sell out and there won't be any
    chance of replenishing them for several months? Or should Sony store
    this inventory until production resumes and continuity of supply can
    be maintained? Without the A77, the Alpha range is already struggling
    to survive, and this could kill it off.

    Ironically, only this week Sony UK made dealers aware that there will
    definitely be an A99 SLT in 2012 with a 36 MP full frame sensor, EVF
    and pellicle mirror. After the flood, I wonder just how "definite"
    that will be.

    Nikon is also badly affected with all DX (APS-C) DSLR production
    stopped because the factory is flooded. I haven't heard anything
    about Canon's situation.

    Bruce, Oct 21, 2011
  9. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >Popular Photography has a review of the SD1 in their current issue. It's sort
    >of amusing to see them grope for things to praise ("one of the most
    >comfortable grips we've ever had the pleasure of wrapping our fingers around")
    >about this ludicrously overpriced camera. I guess they'd prefer not to anger a
    >major advertiser.

    No one can afford to upset Sigma. Their lenses are one of our biggest
    earners, so I have to say that the Sigma SD1 is probably the finest
    DSLR ever made. I have to agree with PopPhoto that the SD1's grip is
    very fine indeed.

    Expensive? As Rolls-Royce/Bentley used to say in the days when they
    were the same company: if you have to ask the price of the car, then
    you cannot afford one.

    Bruce, Oct 21, 2011
  10. RichA

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Robert Coe
    <> wrote:

    > Popular Photography has a review of the SD1 in their current issue. It's sort
    > of amusing to see them grope for things to praise ("one of the most
    > comfortable grips we've ever had the pleasure of wrapping our fingers around")
    > about this ludicrously overpriced camera. I guess they'd prefer not to anger a
    > major advertiser.

    for $7000 it damned well better come with a nice grip!

    the best part is where they say it's the best sigma dslr ever made.
    that's not saying much of anything, especially considering how crappy
    the previous sigma slrs were.

    nospam, Oct 21, 2011
  11. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 11:14:04 -0700, nospam <> wrote:
    : In article <>, Robert Coe
    : <> wrote:
    :
    : > Popular Photography has a review of the SD1 in their current issue.
    : > It's sort of amusing to see them grope for things to praise ("one of
    : > the most comfortable grips we've ever had the pleasure of wrapping
    : > our fingers around") about this ludicrously overpriced camera. I
    : > guess they'd prefer not to anger a major advertiser.
    :
    : for $7000 it damned well better come with a nice grip!
    :
    : the best part is where they say it's the best sigma dslr ever made.
    : that's not saying much of anything, especially considering how crappy
    : the previous sigma slrs were.

    I liked their observation that it's "not for the faint of wallet".

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Oct 21, 2011
  12. RichA

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Robert Coe
    <> wrote:

    > : > Popular Photography has a review of the SD1 in their current issue.
    > : > It's sort of amusing to see them grope for things to praise ("one of
    > : > the most comfortable grips we've ever had the pleasure of wrapping
    > : > our fingers around") about this ludicrously overpriced camera. I
    > : > guess they'd prefer not to anger a major advertiser.
    > :
    > : for $7000 it damned well better come with a nice grip!
    > :
    > : the best part is where they say it's the best sigma dslr ever made.
    > : that's not saying much of anything, especially considering how crappy
    > : the previous sigma slrs were.
    >
    > I liked their observation that it's "not for the faint of wallet".

    that's because they can't come right out and say it's only for people
    with way more money than brains.

    nospam, Oct 21, 2011
  13. RichA

    Trevor Guest

    "nospam" <> wrote in message
    > the best part is where they say it's the best sigma dslr ever made.
    > that's not saying much of anything, especially considering how crappy
    > the previous sigma slrs were.

    The old term "damned with faint praise" comes to mind :)
    (That's how a "negative" review of an advertiser has been done for decades)

    Trevor.

    Trevor, Oct 22, 2011
  14. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 11:14:04 -0700, nospam <> wrote:
    >: In article <>, Robert Coe
    >: <> wrote:
    >:
    >: > Popular Photography has a review of the SD1 in their current issue.
    >: > It's sort of amusing to see them grope for things to praise ("one of
    >: > the most comfortable grips we've ever had the pleasure of wrapping
    >: > our fingers around") about this ludicrously overpriced camera. I
    >: > guess they'd prefer not to anger a major advertiser.
    >:
    >: for $7000 it damned well better come with a nice grip!
    >:
    >: the best part is where they say it's the best sigma dslr ever made.
    >: that's not saying much of anything, especially considering how crappy
    >: the previous sigma slrs were.
    >
    >I liked their observation that it's "not for the faint of wallet".

    It's a bargain.

    For the price, you could choose between a Leica M9 body and a Summarit
    lens, say a 35mm or 50mm, or the Sigma SD1 body. There is absolutely
    no contest - who on earth would choose the Leica?

    Bruce, Oct 22, 2011
  15. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    : >:
    : >: the best part is where they say it's the best sigma dslr ever made.
    : >: that's not saying much of anything, especially considering how crappy
    : >: the previous sigma slrs were.
    : >
    : >I liked their observation that it's "not for the faint of wallet".
    :
    :
    : It's a bargain.

    Keep telling yourself that. We all know that you have to sell one. ;^)

    : For the price, you could choose between a Leica M9 body and a Summarit
    : lens, say a 35mm or 50mm, or the Sigma SD1 body. There is absolutely
    : no contest - who on earth would choose the Leica?

    Who on earth would choose either one (over, say, the Canon 5D2 or the Nikon
    D700) unless he subscribes to the adage that "The price is the product"?

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Oct 23, 2011
  16. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 19:53:44 +0100, Bruce <> wrote:
    >: Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >: >On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 11:14:04 -0700, nospam <> wrote:
    >: >: In article <>, Robert Coe
    >: >: <> wrote:
    >: >:
    >: >: > Popular Photography has a review of the SD1 in their current issue.
    >: >: > It's sort of amusing to see them grope for things to praise ("one of
    >: >: > the most comfortable grips we've ever had the pleasure of wrapping
    >: >: > our fingers around") about this ludicrously overpriced camera. I
    >: >: > guess they'd prefer not to anger a major advertiser.
    >: >:
    >: >: for $7000 it damned well better come with a nice grip!
    >: >:
    >: >: the best part is where they say it's the best sigma dslr ever made.
    >: >: that's not saying much of anything, especially considering how crappy
    >: >: the previous sigma slrs were.
    >: >
    >: >I liked their observation that it's "not for the faint of wallet".
    >:
    >:
    >: It's a bargain.
    >
    >Keep telling yourself that. We all know that you have to sell one. ;^)

    I have to sell one, and only one. Ever. ;-)

    >: For the price, you could choose between a Leica M9 body and a Summarit
    >: lens, say a 35mm or 50mm, or the Sigma SD1 body. There is absolutely
    >: no contest - who on earth would choose the Leica?
    >
    >Who on earth would choose either one (over, say, the Canon 5D2 or the Nikon
    >D700) unless he subscribes to the adage that "The price is the product"?

    Just as many people buy prestige cars, not for the pleasure of owning
    them, but to drive them, many people buy the Leica because it allows
    them to shoot digital images with some of the best photographic lenses
    that have ever been made. Whether that same logic applies to buying
    the SD1 depends on whether people believe that Sigma lenses are as
    good.

    From a retailer's point of view, my head tells me that Sigma lenses
    sell very well indeed and are hugely profitable. My head also tells
    me that selling Leica is not something you do to get rich. My heart
    tells me that selling Leica is a labour of love, and a real privilege.

    Bruce, Oct 23, 2011
  17. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Rich <> wrote:
    >Bruce <> wrote in
    >> RichA <> wrote:

    >>>That is unfortunate. Christmas just being around the corner.

    >> I have spent most of this week locating and purchasing stock for the
    >> season for delivery before the end of October. I think I have managed
    >> to find just about enough Nikon, Sony, Panasonic and Olympus equipment
    >> for our needs, but Canon is more difficult.
    >>
    >> Olympus is the easiest, they always seem to have plenty of stock.
    >>
    >> I am working from home, but I understand our first Sigma SD1 arrived
    >> today. We had no option but to buy one. We have no orders for it. I
    >> have no idea how we will sell it - but we will, eventually.

    >There's a store in Toronto called, Merkle Camera. They kind of specialize
    >in the weird. Sigma (They had the other SD's), Leica, etc. Maybe you can
    >fob it off on them? Though I don't know what the "rules" are regarding
    >this.

    There are no rules except that we had to buy one.

    Bruce, Oct 23, 2011