    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 14, 2004

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Mr Bond Guest

    On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 11:54:27 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> wrote:

    >It starts by someone saying the following.
    >
    >"didn't the offsite domain controller have three Hdds?"
    >
    >grrr.

    Gutted. Physically missing or poked?

    Mr Bond, Sep 14, 2004

  3. Mr Bond wrote:
    >>It starts by someone saying the following.
    >>"didn't the offsite domain controller have three Hdds?"
    >>grrr.

    > Gutted. Physically missing or poked?

    poked...

    /lennier thankfully it only had the user data on it, the OS is fine :)

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 14, 2004
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    steve Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Mr Bond wrote:
    >>>It starts by someone saying the following.
    >>>"didn't the offsite domain controller have three Hdds?"
    >>>grrr.

    >> Gutted. Physically missing or poked?

    > poked...
    >
    > /lennier thankfully it only had the user data on it, the OS is fine :)

    That's better than stolen.....

    You restored from backups, right?

    :)

    steve, Sep 14, 2004
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    TEX Guest

    Mr Bond wrote:

    > On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 11:54:27 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    > <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> wrote:
    >

    >>It starts by someone saying the following.
    >>
    >>"didn't the offsite domain controller have three Hdds?"
    >>
    >>grrr.

    > Gutted. Physically missing or poked?

    I have come across a few sites in where the drives have been missing.
    Story alongs the lines of:

    Server 'A' has a raid 5 set. One drive fails. Repair company 'X' visits
    site after users complains that the server is "beeping". Repair company
    'X' does something and the beeping stops. Everyone is happy....

    X years later, users calls up and complains that server is beeping
    again. Vist site. Find that one of the drives is missing from the raid
    set. Faulty drive from last failure was not replaced when raid rebuilt.
    So now the data has been running on rebuilt degraded array for the last
    few years. Failed drive on degraded array....

    As for the backup. No one has bothered to check that they have been
    working....but that is another story.

    TEX

    TEX, Sep 14, 2004
  6. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Nigel Guest

    On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 01:08:22 +1200, TEX wrote:

    >> Gutted. Physically missing or poked?

    > I have come across a few sites in where the drives have been missing.
    > Story alongs the lines of:
    >
    > Server 'A' has a raid 5 set. One drive fails. Repair company 'X' visits
    > site after users complains that the server is "beeping". Repair company
    > 'X' does something and the beeping stops. Everyone is happy....
    >
    > X years later, users calls up and complains that server is beeping again.
    > Vist site. Find that one of the drives is missing from the raid set.
    > Faulty drive from last failure was not replaced when raid rebuilt. So now
    > the data has been running on rebuilt degraded array for the last few
    > years. Failed drive on degraded array....
    >
    > As for the backup. No one has bothered to check that they have been
    > working....but that is another story.

    Or, a system where one drive goes, but turns out the backups never
    completed overnight ( no one ever noticed ), a second drive goes before a
    full backup can be done ( an idiot admin never takes the system offline to
    do the backup ).

    Nigel

    Nigel, Sep 14, 2004
  7. steve wrote:
    >>poked...
    >>/lennier thankfully it only had the user data on it, the OS is fine :)

    > That's better than stolen.....
    > You restored from backups, right?
    > :)

    yep, all good now.