    now the whole SIP bandwagon has got going and is threatening to leave it
    behind, suddenly it's getting the open-standards religion.

    <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/21/skype_sip/>

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 22, 2009

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > ... they start sounding the clarion call for "interoperability". This is the
    > company that went it alone for years with its own proprietary protocol, but
    > now the whole SIP bandwagon has got going and is threatening to leave it
    > behind, suddenly it's getting the open-standards religion.
    >
    > <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/21/skype_sip/>

    I know loads of people that use skype - if you asked if having sip and
    interoperability was important to them, they would be "WTF are you on
    about" - its just like msn or aim to people. Nothing else.

    Richard, May 24, 2009

  3. In message <gvbses$1d4$>, Richard wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> ... they start sounding the clarion call for "interoperability". This is
    >> the company that went it alone for years with its own proprietary
    >> protocol, but now the whole SIP bandwagon has got going and is
    >> threatening to leave it behind, suddenly it's getting the open-standards
    >> religion.
    >>
    >> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/21/skype_sip/>

    > I know loads of people that use skype - if you asked if having sip and
    > interoperability was important to them, they would be "WTF are you on
    > about" - its just like msn or aim to people. Nothing else.

    That works both ways, though. Increasing numbers of VOIP customers are
    discovering that they can only talk to Skype users as though they were on
    POTS, and having to pay as much. This is why Skype is increasingly at a
    disadvantage.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 25, 2009