    "Annika1980" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    :
    Doug MacDonald, Jan 25, 2007

  3. Annika1980

    Guest

    On Jan 25, 12:23 pm, "Annika1980" <> wrote:

    Nice. Maybe a touch more dof would have helped - but having dabbled in
    macros, I know how hard it is to get these images right.

    And (not that I should dignify a Douglas post with any cred) if that's
    a cut and paste, I'll eat my hat.. and congratulate you, Annika for the
    *brilliant* way you have handled the blurred edges. A true master of
    PS!!

    I dearly hope he isn't suggesting the noise is that stippled pattern on
    its wings (although it wouldn't surprise me.) - as far as I can see, it
    has very low levels of noise and it is consistent across the image.

    By the way, did you use freeze spray? (O;

    (Ask Mark2 why that question...)
    , Jan 25, 2007
  4. Annika1980

    Mike Russell Guest

    Mike Russell, Jan 25, 2007
  5. Doug MacDonald wrote:
    > There's a lot of noise in those wings mate...
    > When you cut and past you really ought to balance the noise in the
    > background with the pic you put over it.

    That must be it? I surely would have expected slightly better bokeh from
    Canon's 50/1.2. He would have better suited using the 58mm f/1.2 Noct
    Nikkor for this shot, even on a cropped sensor.

    It's still a great shot, Bret! Keep em coming.

    Rita
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Jan 25, 2007
  6. Annika1980

    gpaleo Guest

    gpaleo, Jan 25, 2007
  7. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Jan 24, 10:43 pm, "Doug MacDonald"
    <> wrote:
    > There's a lot of noise in those wings mate...
    > When you cut and past you really ought to balance the noise in the
    > background with the pic you put over it.

    There is an old saying that applies here.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth
    and remove all doubt."

    Here is an unretouched full-size crop from the original image.

    Please show me where all the noise is.
    I won't even address your "cut and paste" allegations since they are a
    figment of your imagination, born in jealousy, no doubt.
    Annika1980, Jan 25, 2007
  8. Annika1980

    Saguenay Guest

    "Doug MacDonald" <> a écrit dans le
    message de news: HHVth.66$...
    > There's a lot of noise in those wings mate...

    Clean your monitor! What you see is your dust.

    Saguenay, Jan 25, 2007
  9. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Jan 25, 6:13 am, Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
    > I surely would have expected slightly better bokeh from
    > Canon's 50/1.2. He would have better suited using the 58mm f/1.2 Noct
    > Nikkor for this shot, even on a cropped sensor.

    LOL!

    The Canon 50mm f/1.2L .... bokeh so creamy you can drink it!

    Admit it, Rita.
    You would love to drink the creamy bokeh from the Canon 50 f/1.2L.
    Annika1980, Jan 25, 2007
  10. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Jan 25, 9:51 am, "Saguenay" <> wrote:
    > > There's a lot of noise in those wings mate...

    >Clean your monitor! What you see is your dust.

    I think that pelican crapped on his monitor again.
    Annika1980, Jan 25, 2007
  11. mark_digital©, Jan 25, 2007
  12. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Jan 25, 9:58 am, "mark_digital©" <> wrote:
    > > Here is an unretouched full-size crop from the original image.
    > >http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/73536978/original

    >I'll take a look if you promise you stopped imbedding virii in your pics.

    ? How would one do that?

    The only virus in my 20D pics is a love virus. People love them!
    Annika1980, Jan 25, 2007
  13. Annika1980

    J. Clarke Guest

    On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 03:43:35 GMT, "Doug MacDonald"
    <> wrote:

    >There's a lot of noise in those wings mate...
    >When you cut and past you really ought to balance the noise in the
    >background with the pic you put over it.

    I think you are confusing butterfly scales with noise.
    J. Clarke, Jan 25, 2007
  14. Annika1980 wrote:

    >> I surely would have expected slightly better bokeh from
    >> Canon's 50/1.2. He would have better suited using the 58mm f/1.2
    >> Noct Nikkor for this shot, even on a cropped sensor.

    > LOL!
    >
    > The Canon 50mm f/1.2L .... bokeh so creamy you can drink it!
    >
    > Admit it, Rita.
    > You would love to drink the creamy bokeh from the Canon 50 f/1.2L.

    LOL! I knew you would like that. You did good. Great pic!

    Rita
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Jan 25, 2007
  15. Annika1980

    smb Guest

    Nice pictures, but they seemed to have drawn the pixel peepers and
    equipment worshippers out of the closet.

    How about showing us what *you* can do rather than what your camera
    and pricey L glass can do? :)

    Steve

    smb, Jan 28, 2007
  16. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Jan 28, 7:59 am, smb <> wrote:
    > Nice pictures, but they seemed to have drawn the pixel peepers and
    > equipment worshippers out of the closet.

    Well that's kind of the point this week since I'm testing the 50 f/
    1.2L. It's a new offering from Canon and so most people probably
    haven't seen too many examples from it. I was a bit curious myself so
    I rented one for a week to put it through it's paces.

    > How about showing us what *you* can do rather than what your camera
    > and pricey L glass can do? :)

    I'll leave it to the viewer to figure out how much is me and how much
    is the equipment. All that my pics prove is what I can get out of the
    equipment I use.
    Someone else's results may vary.
    Annika1980, Jan 28, 2007
  17. Annika1980

    Saguenay Guest

    "Annika1980" <> a écrit dans le message de news:

    > On Jan 28, 7:59 am, smb <> wrote:
    >> Nice pictures, but they seemed to have drawn the pixel peepers and
    >> equipment worshippers out of the closet.

    > Well that's kind of the point this week since I'm testing the 50 f/
    > 1.2L. It's a new offering from Canon and so most people probably
    > haven't seen too many examples from it. I was a bit curious myself so
    > I rented one for a week to put it through it's paces.
    >

    >> How about showing us what *you* can do rather than what your camera
    >> and pricey L glass can do? :)

    > I'll leave it to the viewer to figure out how much is me and how much
    > is the equipment. All that my pics prove is what I can get out of the
    > equipment I use.
    > Someone else's results may vary.

    Good answer...
    Kind of a gentleman's answer.

    Anyway, one can appreciate your pics without asking corny questions.
    Saguenay, Jan 28, 2007
  18. Annika1980

    smb Guest

    On 28 Jan 2007 09:39:01 -0800, "Annika1980" <>
    wrote:

    >On Jan 28, 7:59 am, smb <> wrote:
    >> Nice pictures, but they seemed to have drawn the pixel peepers and
    >> equipment worshippers out of the closet.

    >Well that's kind of the point this week since I'm testing the 50 f/
    >1.2L. It's a new offering from Canon and so most people probably
    >haven't seen too many examples from it. I was a bit curious myself so
    >I rented one for a week to put it through it's paces.
    >

    >> How about showing us what *you* can do rather than what your camera
    >> and pricey L glass can do? :)

    >I'll leave it to the viewer to figure out how much is me and how much
    >is the equipment. All that my pics prove is what I can get out of the
    >equipment I use.
    >Someone else's results may vary.

    Don't get me wrong, it's just that there are enough "Camera X
    Galleries" out there that it would be refreshing to see examples of
    good photography without mention of the gear. Let the pictures speak
    for themselves.

    Steve
    smb, Jan 28, 2007
  19. Annika1980

    dwight Guest

    "smb" <> wrote in message
    > On 28 Jan 2007 09:39:01 -0800, "Annika1980" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>On Jan 28, 7:59 am, smb <> wrote:
    >>> Nice pictures, but they seemed to have drawn the pixel peepers and
    >>> equipment worshippers out of the closet.

    >>Well that's kind of the point this week since I'm testing the 50 f/
    >>1.2L. It's a new offering from Canon and so most people probably
    >>haven't seen too many examples from it. I was a bit curious myself so
    >>I rented one for a week to put it through it's paces.
    >>

    >>> How about showing us what *you* can do rather than what your camera
    >>> and pricey L glass can do? :)

    >>I'll leave it to the viewer to figure out how much is me and how much
    >>is the equipment. All that my pics prove is what I can get out of the
    >>equipment I use.
    >>Someone else's results may vary.
    >>

    > Don't get me wrong, it's just that there are enough "Camera X
    > Galleries" out there that it would be refreshing to see examples of
    > good photography without mention of the gear. Let the pictures speak
    > for themselves.
    >
    > Steve

    While I can understand your viewpoint, I'm always curious to know what
    equipment was used to capture a given image. I watch a DVD, then browse the
    "Making of..." section, too.

    dwight
    dwight, Jan 28, 2007
  20. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Jan 28, 4:27 pm, smb <> wrote:

    > Don't get me wrong, it's just that there are enough "Camera X
    > Galleries" out there that it would be refreshing to see examples of
    > good photography without mention of the gear. Let the pictures speak
    > for themselves.

    I would submit that there are plenty of those types of galleries out
    there as well.
    RPD is about digital photography and the equipment is a large part of
    that.
    Otherwise, it would just be rec.photo.
    Annika1980, Jan 29, 2007