    Ron
    http://ronbigelow.com

    , Jun 8, 2005

  2. Craig Flory Guest

    I was an air force photographer from 1966 to 1970 ... and went on hiking
    trips to Yosemite, with the Sierra Club. We made camp high up on a Friday
    night and then hiked even higher on the weekend. We had fun with snow even
    in mid-summer. So I'd suggest looking at hiking at the highest altitudes for
    some spectacular images. I'd say you might be able to find a web site for
    the Sierra Club in the San Francisco area to see if they might offer some
    advice.

    Craig Flory

    Craig Flory, Jun 8, 2005

  3. wrote:

    > I will be heading to Yosemite late this month. I have a couple of books
    > that show the standard shots (e.g., Yosemite Falls and Half Dome). Any
    > recommendations of lesser-known areas that may have photo
    > opportunities? I don't mind hiking a few miles if it produces a goood
    > image.

    If the Tioga Road is open by the time you get there, drive up to
    Tuolumne Meadows.
    http://www.nps.gov/yose/now/tioga.htm

    -Dave

    Dave Herzstein, Jun 8, 2005
  4. Patty Winter Guest

    In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    >I will be heading to Yosemite late this month. I have a couple of books
    >that show the standard shots (e.g., Yosemite Falls and Half Dome). Any
    >recommendations of lesser-known areas that may have photo
    >opportunities? I don't mind hiking a few miles if it produces a goood
    >image.

    Ron, I've only gone a little ways up the road myself, but the Old Big Oak
    Flat Road supposedly has some beautiful views of Bridalveil Falls--and
    will definitely give you a different angle than everyone else's photos
    of those falls.

    The Old BOF road leaves Northside Drive at:

    37°43'25.6" -119°38'41.5"

    (I believe that's marker V9 from the Yosemite Road Guide, a very
    handy booklet that's for sale at the Yosemite Association bookstore
    at the visitor center.)

    I went up as far as:

    37°43'30.8" -119°38'57.9"

    I got a couple glimpses of the falls, as I recall, but didn't get
    to a large enough opening to take a decent photo. About another
    1.5 miles further (and several hundred feet higher) is something
    called Rainbow View that I'm assuming has a view of, uh, Rainbow
    Falls. ;-) It's at approx.:

    37°43'20.7" -119°40'27.5"

    Unless the road is blocked because of the construction equipment
    currently being stored near Northside Drive, if you have a car
    with a decent clearance, you can drive up to:

    37°43'34.0" -119°38'46.5"

    So you don't have to walk all the way from the valley floor.

    On the other side of the valley, Artist Point and Inspiration Point
    (both above the Wawona Tunnel/Discovery View) are supposed to be
    really nice, too.

    And be sure to explore the area between the two main trails in the
    Yosemite Falls area for some nice viewing opportunities. I.e.,
    between the western trail (the traditional walkway to the Lower
    Fall from the Yosemite Lodge area) and the newer eastern (wheelchair
    accessible) trail.

    Hope that helps!

    Patty

    Patty Winter, Jun 8, 2005
  5. Bob Osgood Guest

    I was up there over Memorial day weekend. The best thing is there is more
    water (and waterfalls) now then
    at any time in memory. The bad thing is.. there is more water now than at
    any time in memory.
    We started out at about 7 am shooting the north side waterfalls and rock
    faces. We hiked up to
    Mirror lake in late morning. There is so much debris in the water that the
    mirror affect is lost. Its a nice
    hike, but if your looking for shots, this may disappoint. We hiked up to
    Vernal Nevada falls. This was a great
    hike and a good place for photos, you will need some higher speeds to
    capture the water falls and the
    Rapids. We went down into town for the afternoon and toured the Ansel Adams
    Museum/gift shop.
    It was really crowded the day we went, hopefully you will not have the big
    crowds.
    In the afternoon we went to Yosemite falls. This is the place we got the
    wettest, but also some
    good shots in the mist if you want to get creative.
    In the late afternoon we started out park, but stopped to watch some guys
    climbing El Capitan.
    I did not have the lens's to deal with that, but it was fun to watch through
    the binoculars. Late afternoon
    is definitely the time for that.
    We went up to Glacier point for the sunset shots... awesome place to do
    that. There is east facing
    views up the valley with Half Dome close up. Also Vernal Nevada falls offers
    some good views from
    here.
    Prepare to spend along time there.. and enjoy it to the utmost.

    here is a link to some of my shots from there.

    http://members.dslextreme.com/users/rosgood/Yosemite pictures 5-29-05/

    Bob

    Bob Osgood, Jun 8, 2005
  6. MadHatter Guest