Yet another question about x86 & x64 Vista Upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Jon W, May 9, 2008.

  1. Jon W

    Jon W Guest

    After much reading and research trying to find out what included both 32bit &
    64bit, and correct me if I'm wrong at any point, the ONLY full retail version
    that actually comes with both is Ultimate, while all other retail versions
    are eligible for the alternate media, meaning that you walk out of the store
    with the 32 bit and can order the 64bit DVD from Microsoft for the cost of
    S&H. I am also under the impression that the OEM versions can only be
    purchased with only 32bit or 64bit and are NOT eligible for the alternate
    media "deal".
    However the part that completely eludes me and I have searched for days for
    the answer to this question, because I own a license for both XP Home and I'm
    looking to upgrade to Home Premium but want to have the 64bit version,
    because I plan on adding 2 more gigs of RAM shortly, but I would also like to
    at least have the 32bit as an option, in case something goes wrong, maybe
    down the road I buy a piece of hardware not 64bit compatible who knows, just
    that little bit of comfort to fall back on.

    And the Question:
    Does the Home Premium upgrade license include both 32 and 64 bit versions?
    Can I Order and download the Home Premium Upgrade (32bit) from the Microsoft
    Marketplace and still be eligible for the 64bit alternate media?

    Jon W, May 9, 2008

  2. Yes. All retail copies entitle you to both dvds. Buy your upgrade edition
    and then order the x64 dvd. I have twice purchased the alternate media for
    Vista Home Premium upgrade editions for the S&H fees. You can order as soon
    as you have the VHP product key. Both my dvds took about a week to arrive.

    Colin Barnhorst, May 9, 2008

  3. Jon W

    Jon W Guest

    That's Great! Thank you very much for the quick reply! Exactly what I was
    looking for. I was a little disappointed, but not surprised with Microsoft
    that they haven't really made this clear anywhere that I found.

    Jon W, May 9, 2008
  4. Jon W

    troutman Guest

    Jon W,

    You are correct that it is difficult, if not impossible, to discern from
    looking at the Microsoft website what the process is for obtaining 64-bit
    media. I recently ordered a new laptop with Vista Business 64 pre-installed
    and wanted to upgrade to Vista Ultimate 64. I ordered an Anytime Upgrade from
    Amazon and a few days later it arrived with only 32-bit install media. The
    included instructions for ordering 64-bit media from Microsoft using your new
    product key on the web resulted in an "offer not found" message. I finally
    contacted someone at Microsoft by phone who agreed to have the 64-bit media
    mailed to me. Its been well more than a week and the 64-bit media has still
    not arrived.
    This system is seriously flawed. If I know that 64-bit media is what I need,
    I should be able to place my initial order for just that product without
    jumping through the 64-bit replacement media hoops. This causes unnecessary
    delay in getting the product to the customer and extra effort and
    complication at Microsoft.

    troutman, May 9, 2008
  5. Jon W

    Jon W Guest

    Couldn't agree with you more troutman, its almost as if MS is purposely
    stifling the distribution of 64bit versions almost like they don't really
    want people to know about it. Yet, if more people knew about it, more people
    would use it and the more people that used 64bit, means more companies would
    be forced to produce 64bit applications simply because the demand would be
    there. Yet the growth of the 64bit applications seems really to be null and
    void because the demand for them simply isn't there.

    Its ridiculous that I can't go to the store to buy a 64bit copy (unless its
    OEM), I have to buy the 32bit only to have to order the alternate media to
    actually get the 64bit. I can't even download it from Microsoft's Marketplace
    because I'm not running a 64bit OS, I have to order the 32bit, download it,
    burn it and I still have to order the 64bit media.

    But don't get me wrongthough, Kudos to Microsoft for making both x86 and x64
    available to both those who purchase the retail upgrade and the full retail
    versions. I just wish they would make it a lot more clear as to what you are
    getting, 32bit or 64bit and declare somewhere what is included with the
    versions you are buying.

    Jon W, May 9, 2008