Yet another photo-organizer????

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by KO, May 4, 2005.

  1. KO

    KO Guest

    Hi all,

    A few years ago, I have bought a digital camera. Euphoric as I was, I
    started taking pictures of almost anything, resulting in thousands of
    photos on my hard drive. In the beginning, all the images got a short
    description as filename to help me remember the contents and depending
    on the theme of the image they were put in a folder with the name of
    the theme. Also I had a special folder named "inbox" in which all
    newly taken pictures are stored and did not have a specific name yet
    (i.e. "image23043.jpg" instead of "My cat at the balcony.jpg").
    But the inbox grew and grew as I did not have the discipline to
    organize every time I uploaded my images from my camera to my PC (> 100
    per upload).

    For quite some time I have been looking for a suitable program to
    organize my images. So far ACDSEE was the program for me. But still it
    requires me a lot of energy to find what I was looking for and
    discipline. Therefor, I decided to develop a program that organizes my
    photo's for me and helps me find my images quickly. The only thing I
    want to do is upload the images from my camera, start the program and
    see that they are categorized automatically. No more creating suitable
    texts for each photo.

    If you know what I am talking about and experience the same problem as
    I do, then maybe you would like to help me in testing the draft version
    of the software. Any comment or suggestion is highly appreciated. As
    reward you will get a program that you have helped me tailor it to our
    needs or....

    Thanks all,
    KO.

    KO, May 4, 2005

  2. KO

    Ron Hunter Guest

    KO wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > A few years ago, I have bought a digital camera. Euphoric as I was, I
    > started taking pictures of almost anything, resulting in thousands of
    > photos on my hard drive. In the beginning, all the images got a short
    > description as filename to help me remember the contents and depending
    > on the theme of the image they were put in a folder with the name of
    > the theme. Also I had a special folder named "inbox" in which all
    > newly taken pictures are stored and did not have a specific name yet
    > (i.e. "image23043.jpg" instead of "My cat at the balcony.jpg").
    > But the inbox grew and grew as I did not have the discipline to
    > organize every time I uploaded my images from my camera to my PC (> 100
    > per upload).
    >
    > For quite some time I have been looking for a suitable program to
    > organize my images. So far ACDSEE was the program for me. But still it
    > requires me a lot of energy to find what I was looking for and
    > discipline. Therefor, I decided to develop a program that organizes my
    > photo's for me and helps me find my images quickly. The only thing I
    > want to do is upload the images from my camera, start the program and
    > see that they are categorized automatically. No more creating suitable
    > texts for each photo.
    >
    > If you know what I am talking about and experience the same problem as
    > I do, then maybe you would like to help me in testing the draft version
    > of the software. Any comment or suggestion is highly appreciated. As
    > reward you will get a program that you have helped me tailor it to our
    > needs or....
    >
    > Thanks all,
    > KO.

    Check out Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0. It contains just about
    everything you need to organize, and edit your photos in one reasonably
    priced package.
    So, unless you can beat what they have, you might have a lot of trouble
    making any money.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, May 4, 2005

  3. KO

    Beck Guest

    "KO" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > A few years ago, I have bought a digital camera. Euphoric as I was, I
    > started taking pictures of almost anything, resulting in thousands of
    > photos on my hard drive. In the beginning, all the images got a short
    > description as filename to help me remember the contents and depending
    > on the theme of the image they were put in a folder with the name of
    > the theme. Also I had a special folder named "inbox" in which all
    > newly taken pictures are stored and did not have a specific name yet
    > (i.e. "image23043.jpg" instead of "My cat at the balcony.jpg").
    > But the inbox grew and grew as I did not have the discipline to
    > organize every time I uploaded my images from my camera to my PC (> 100
    > per upload).
    >
    > For quite some time I have been looking for a suitable program to
    > organize my images. So far ACDSEE was the program for me. But still it
    > requires me a lot of energy to find what I was looking for and
    > discipline. Therefor, I decided to develop a program that organizes my
    > photo's for me and helps me find my images quickly. The only thing I
    > want to do is upload the images from my camera, start the program and
    > see that they are categorized automatically. No more creating suitable
    > texts for each photo.
    >
    > If you know what I am talking about and experience the same problem as
    > I do, then maybe you would like to help me in testing the draft version
    > of the software. Any comment or suggestion is highly appreciated. As
    > reward you will get a program that you have helped me tailor it to our
    > needs or....

    I will give it a go. I don't do much by way of organising my pictures, but
    I will test it out for you for any bugs or issues if you like. email me
    my_bulkmail AT btopenworld.com

    Beck, May 4, 2005
  4. KO

    Beck Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message

    > Check out Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0. It contains just about everything
    > you need to organize, and edit your photos in one reasonably priced
    > package.
    > So, unless you can beat what they have, you might have a lot of trouble
    > making any money.

    While Elements is a good program and has plenty of features, not everybody
    wants all those features and not everybody wants to pay for features they do
    not use. The only image manipulation I do is image resizing, I do not need
    a huge power hungry program like Elements.

    Beck, May 4, 2005
  5. KO

    JD Guest

    Re: TROLL Yet another photo-organizer????

    Speaking about yourself Russell?

    Jean.

    JD, May 4, 2005
  6. KO

    Russell Guest

    Re: TROLL Yet another photo-organizer????

    Nope. The OP (or you if you are the OP)

    "(i.e. "image23043.jpg" instead of "My cat at the balcony.jpg")." "The only
    thing I want to do is upload the images from my camera, start the program
    and see that they are categorized automatically. No more creating suitable
    texts for each photo."

    Now how has the OP managed to develop some software which can tell what a
    bitmapped image is and name it accordingly? Low budget Bitmap Image
    recognition? Mmmm! Don't think so.

    Russell, May 4, 2005
  7. KO

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Beck wrote:
    > "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>Check out Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0. It contains just about everything
    >>you need to organize, and edit your photos in one reasonably priced
    >>package.
    >>So, unless you can beat what they have, you might have a lot of trouble
    >>making any money.

    > While Elements is a good program and has plenty of features, not everybody
    > wants all those features and not everybody wants to pay for features they do
    > not use. The only image manipulation I do is image resizing, I do not need
    > a huge power hungry program like Elements.

    So, in addition to your program, the user has to buy an editor. What do
    you plan to ask for the program?

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, May 4, 2005
  8. KO

    Beck Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message

    >> While Elements is a good program and has plenty of features, not
    >> everybody wants all those features and not everybody wants to pay for
    >> features they do not use. The only image manipulation I do is image
    >> resizing, I do not need a huge power hungry program like Elements.

    > So, in addition to your program, the user has to buy an editor. What do
    > you plan to ask for the program?

    Its not my program. I have nothing to do with it.

    Beck, May 4, 2005
  9. KO

    Guest

    before you invest a lot of time/energy check out www.cerious.com for
    their thumbs plus ...i like the fact that you can easily create fields
    to fill in and then quickly search those fields ...as well as search
    exif data etc ...apparently can be scaled to 100's of thousands of
    images with no problem ....

    no financial interest but its useful to me - i take a lot a digital
    pix for work ...

    steve

    On 4 May 2005 05:30:56 -0700, "KO" <> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >A few years ago, I have bought a digital camera. Euphoric as I was, I
    >started taking pictures of almost anything, resulting in thousands of
    >photos on my hard drive. In the beginning, all the images got a short
    >description as filename to help me remember the contents and depending
    >on the theme of the image they were put in a folder with the name of
    >the theme. Also I had a special folder named "inbox" in which all
    >newly taken pictures are stored and did not have a specific name yet
    >(i.e. "image23043.jpg" instead of "My cat at the balcony.jpg").
    >But the inbox grew and grew as I did not have the discipline to
    >organize every time I uploaded my images from my camera to my PC (> 100
    >per upload).
    >
    >For quite some time I have been looking for a suitable program to
    >organize my images. So far ACDSEE was the program for me. But still it
    >requires me a lot of energy to find what I was looking for and
    >discipline. Therefor, I decided to develop a program that organizes my
    >photo's for me and helps me find my images quickly. The only thing I
    >want to do is upload the images from my camera, start the program and
    >see that they are categorized automatically. No more creating suitable
    >texts for each photo.
    >
    >If you know what I am talking about and experience the same problem as
    >I do, then maybe you would like to help me in testing the draft version
    >of the software. Any comment or suggestion is highly appreciated. As
    >reward you will get a program that you have helped me tailor it to our
    >needs or....
    >
    >Thanks all,
    >KO.

    , May 5, 2005
  10. KO

    KO Guest

    Thanks Beck! I will write you an email as soon as possible with the url
    from where you can download it.

    KO, May 5, 2005
  11. KO

    KO Guest

    To expensive for me. I am planning to ask no more than $5 - $10,
    because this is a hobby for me and it is in development. In the future
    I would like to add sophisticated algorithms like face recognition, to
    make it available to the big public. Nowadays suchs features cost about
    several 1000s. I will never ask those absurt prices.

    KO, May 5, 2005
  12. KO

    KO Guest

    Not much, I am an algorithm progammer and love to program and develop
    them. I just want to see if those sophisticated algorithms can help the
    general photographer in finding and organizing their photos. Maybe
    between $5 and $10. IT depends on its value.

    KO, May 5, 2005
  13. KO

    KO Guest

    It is a hobby to me and if it is used by about 100 people, then I am
    also satisfied. The aim is to make big algorithms available to the
    public and make live as easy as possible [ :) ]. In the future it
    would be nice to have encorporated a face recognition algorithm.

    KO, May 5, 2005
  14. KO

    KO Guest

    Re: TROLL Yet another photo-organizer????

    You are right Russell. That is almost impossible. But my aim is that
    you do not have to write those texts to find what you are looking for
    the next time you are interested in the photo. Without any input from
    the user it is impossible to find what you are looking for with only a
    text query. Therefor I use image queries and other ways of browsing
    your collection.

    KO, May 5, 2005
  15. KO

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "KO" <> writes:
    > You are right Russell. That is almost impossible. But my aim is that
    > you do not have to write those texts to find what you are looking for
    > the next time you are interested in the photo. Without any input from
    > the user it is impossible to find what you are looking for with only a
    > text query. Therefor I use image queries and other ways of browsing
    > your collection.

    Why don't you describe in technical terms exactly what you did? That
    makes for an interesting discussion, unlike marketing fluff.

    Paul Rubin, May 5, 2005
  16. KO

    Paul Furman Guest

    KO wrote:

    > Not much, I am an algorithm progammer and love to program and develop
    > them. I just want to see if those sophisticated algorithms can help the
    > general photographer in finding and organizing their photos. Maybe
    > between $5 and $10. IT depends on its value.

    I'm not sure what you could come up with that hasn't already been done
    though. What are you thinking of?

    --
    Paul Furman
    http://www.edgehill.net/1

    Paul Furman, May 5, 2005
  17. KO

    Paul Furman Guest

    Re: TROLL Yet another photo-organizer????

    Here is something along those lines:
    http://elib.cs.berkeley.edu/vision.html

    Paul Furman, May 5, 2005
  18. KO

    Ron Hunter Guest

    KO wrote:
    > To expensive for me. I am planning to ask no more than $5 - $10,
    > because this is a hobby for me and it is in development. In the future
    > I would like to add sophisticated algorithms like face recognition, to
    > make it available to the big public. Nowadays suchs features cost about
    > several 1000s. I will never ask those absurt prices.

    Suggestion: If you price the product too low, people won't take it
    seriously enough to buy it. Price it too high, and you try to compete
    with PSE3.. The price point should be based on the features.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, May 5, 2005
  19. KO

    Ron Hunter Guest

    KO wrote:
    > Not much, I am an algorithm progammer and love to program and develop
    > them. I just want to see if those sophisticated algorithms can help the
    > general photographer in finding and organizing their photos. Maybe
    > between $5 and $10. IT depends on its value.

    Well, if you can make one that can tell a snapdragon from a bluebonnet,
    I'm up for it! Grin.
    Good luck.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, May 5, 2005
  20. KO

    KO Guest

    Hello Paul,

    Your website is very interesting. I would like to try my software on
    your image collection. Would you like to help? To be clear: I have
    posted this topic to see if the software has any potential (by which I
    mean: is it user friendly, is it of any added value and does it help
    one to find ones photos fast enough).

    KO, May 6, 2005