Yet Another BLURAY poast

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Goro, Aug 11, 2005.

  1. Goro

    Goro Guest

    Tom's Hardware has an article about BluRay, most notably
    explaining/describing in further detail the copyprot schemes that were
    revealed in the last couple of days.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050810_131820.html

    Most notable in this article:
    "One part of the announcement that had been anticipated by experts was
    Blu-ray's embrace of Advanced Access Content System (AACS), one version
    of which has also been adopted by the HD DVD Forum. This controversial
    technology would require that disc players maintain permanent
    connections to content providers via the Internet, making it possible
    for discs that fail a security check to trigger a notification process,
    enabling the provider to send the player a sort of "self-destruct
    code." This code would come in the form of a flash ROM "update" that
    would actually render the player useless, perhaps unless and until it
    is taken to a repair shop for reprogramming."

    I can't imagine that this would make it to the final spec. Permanent
    internet connection? Self-destruct code?

    BluRay is a format that may or may not even be WANTED by the majority
    of consumers and instead of coming up with VALUE and FEATURES to give
    the consumer to convince him to upgrade, they are giving huge
    disincentives, in fact encouraging him to STAY with SD-DVD (or to
    gowith HD-DVD).

    In some ways it's not surprisng, though. If there's a way to lose a
    format way, Sony'll do it.

    Like i've said before, though, it's still too early to get all worked
    up about it, but the info is getting worse day by day. It'll be
    interesting to see what the final specs are and if ANYONE buys it....

    -goro-

    Goro, Aug 11, 2005

  2. Goro

    Tarkus Guest

    On 8/11/2005 1:25:33 PM, Goro wrote:

    > BluRay is a format that may or may not even be WANTED by the majority
    > of consumers and instead of coming up with VALUE and FEATURES to give
    > the consumer to convince him to upgrade, they are giving huge
    > disincentives, in fact encouraging him to STAY with SD-DVD (or to
    > gowith HD-DVD).
    >
    > In some ways it's not surprisng, though. If there's a way to lose a
    > format way, Sony'll do it.

    I guess you missed this part of the quote you posted:

    --
    "Oh sorry, Johnny, I forgot all about you. You can go now."

    Now playing: "AC/DC - For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)"

    Tarkus, Aug 11, 2005

  3. Goro

    Alpha Guest

    "Tarkus" <> wrote in message
    > On 8/11/2005 1:25:33 PM, Goro wrote:
    >
    >> BluRay is a format that may or may not even be WANTED by the majority
    >> of consumers and instead of coming up with VALUE and FEATURES to give
    >> the consumer to convince him to upgrade, they are giving huge
    >> disincentives, in fact encouraging him to STAY with SD-DVD (or to
    >> gowith HD-DVD).
    >>
    >> In some ways it's not surprisng, though. If there's a way to lose a
    >> format way, Sony'll do it.

    > I guess you missed this part of the quote you posted:
    >
    > "...Advanced Access Content System (AACS), one version of which has also
    > been adopted by the HD DVD Forum."
    > --
    > "Oh sorry, Johnny, I forgot all about you. You can go now."
    >
    > Now playing: "AC/DC - For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)"

    To the consumer, this is no different than the attempt funded by Circuit
    City to control DVD. It failed. People will *not* be monitored over
    telephone or the internet.

    Alpha, Aug 11, 2005