    Many Thanks,
    Aggie.

    P.S. My wee brain gone blank......Is it affect, or effect? :)

    Agnes L, Mar 24, 2006

  2. Agnes L

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Agnes L" <> wrote in message
    news:C3KUf.7229$...
    > (Windows XP Pro Media Center 2005, MS Works bundle 2005,
    > MS Word 2002, Motherboard-Intel 845)
    >

    > By utilizing System Restore will it affect (effect?) recent installed
    > programs and/or my newly acquired high-speed Internet Provider.
    > When l changed my ISP l had a terrible time getting connected
    > and would prefer not to go through that again.

    I don't know as I have never had to use a restore point on XP. But I guess
    it could if you are using a Restore point that has settings for the computer
    prior to what you have it configured for presently. If the Restore point is
    current to what you have at this time, then I do not see where it would make
    that much of a difference if you had to do a Restore. You may miss a couple
    things you may have done to the computer recently prior to the last Restore
    point..

    Like I said, I have never had to do a Restore.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Mar 24, 2006

  3. "Agnes L" <> wrote in message
    > (Windows XP Pro Media Center 2005, MS Works bundle 2005,
    > MS Word 2002, Motherboard-Intel 845)
    >

    > By utilizing System Restore will it affect (effect?) recent installed
    > programs and/or my newly acquired high-speed Internet Provider.
    > When l changed my ISP l had a terrible time getting connected
    > and would prefer not to go through that again.
    >
    > Many Thanks,
    > Aggie.
    >
    > P.S. My wee brain gone blank......Is it affect, or effect? :)

    Programs or hardware installed after the nominated RP will probably have to
    be reinstalled but all of your data files created after the RP ā€“ documents,
    images etc. ā€“ are preserved.

    Boscoe Pertwee, Mar 24, 2006
  4. Agnes L

    Plato Guest

    Agnes L wrote:

    > By utilizing System Restore will it affect (effect?) recent installed
    > programs and/or my newly acquired high-speed Internet Provider.
    > When l changed my ISP l had a terrible time getting connected
    > and would prefer not to go through that again.

    Maybe. Maybe not.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Mar 25, 2006
  5. Agnes L

    Agnes L Guest

    Re: System Restore question- Thanks Duane & BP

    The reason l considered System Restore is the number of problem
    items found when l scanned with Registry Fix & Registry Mechanic.
    Since l don't have the expertise to mess around with the Registry
    l thought System Restore might be a way of getting rid of the un-
    wanted items, all 200 plus. Seems a lot for a computer less than
    5 1/2 mos old.

    Aggie

    Agnes L, Mar 25, 2006
  6. Agnes L

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Agnes L" <> wrote in message

    > The reason l considered System Restore is the number of problem
    > items found when l scanned with Registry Fix & Registry Mechanic.
    > Since l don't have the expertise to mess around with the Registry
    > l thought System Restore might be a way of getting rid of the un-
    > wanted items, all 200 plus. Seems a lot for a computer less than
    > 5 1/2 mos old.

    I used that registry stuff long ago back in the 90's. I have not used one of
    those things since year 1999. Not on the job or home computers. The only
    time I am doing things with the registry is adjustments that I need to
    control the O/S or an application that needs its registry settings adjusted
    for execution of the program.

    Other than that, I don't mess with the registry period. The registry is just
    a database of information. If some pointer is broken for something that is
    no longer there or whatever, so what?

    My outlook on things of that nature is if it is not broke then don't fix it.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Mar 25, 2006
  7. Agnes L

    evil Guest

    Re: System Restore question- Thanks Duane & BP

    You could make a new boot disk, then run the registry cleaner and if
    not happy the return it to present. Just a thought as I am no expert. I
    do know how much junk can be there when transfering files and settings
    to a new computer. Or just be sure to save the log file in the options
    of reg mechanic so you can put it back to pre-cleaning state.

    evil, Mar 25, 2006
  8. Agnes L

    Mark Mandell Guest

    "Agnes L" <> wrote in message

    > The reason l considered System Restore is the number of problem
    > items found when l scanned with Registry Fix & Registry Mechanic.
    > Since l don't have the expertise to mess around with the Registry
    > l thought System Restore might be a way of getting rid of the un-
    > wanted items, all 200 plus. Seems a lot for a computer less than
    > 5 1/2 mos old.
    >
    > Aggie

    Those so-called Registry "fixes" are rather overrated in my experience.
    They might uncover hundreds of what you'd think to be unnessary and you'd
    then think that your OS is irreversibly tainted until you go ahead and sign
    up for the thorough "fix" that costs you whatever.

    Mark Mandell, Mar 25, 2006
  9. Re: System Restore question- Thanks Duane & BP

    "Agnes L" <> wrote in message

    > The reason l considered System Restore is the number of problem
    > items found when l scanned with Registry Fix & Registry Mechanic.
    > Since l don't have the expertise to mess around with the Registry
    > l thought System Restore might be a way of getting rid of the un-
    > wanted items, all 200 plus. Seems a lot for a computer less than
    > 5 1/2 mos old.
    >
    > Aggie

    Could do a Repair Install from the XP disc - which means you can replace a
    faulty XP set-up without losing your data or the applications and hardware
    installed on the hard drive - in theory at least.

    Boscoe Pertwee, Mar 25, 2006
  10. Agnes L

    MaryL Guest

    "Agnes L" <> wrote in message
    > (Windows XP Pro Media Center 2005, MS Works bundle 2005,
    > MS Word 2002, Motherboard-Intel 845)
    >

    > By utilizing System Restore will it affect (effect?) recent installed
    > programs and/or my newly acquired high-speed Internet Provider.
    > When l changed my ISP l had a terrible time getting connected
    > and would prefer not to go through that again.
    >
    > Many Thanks,
    > Aggie.
    >
    > P.S. My wee brain gone blank......Is it affect, or effect? :)

    Recently installed programs will be deleted *if* you have to use a Restore
    Point to revert backwards to before that date. Otherwise, it will have no
    effect, and data also will not be affected. To avoid this problem, I wait
    until I am sure everything is working correctly. Then I go into Control
    Panel and turn off System Restore. Be cautious because this will eliminate
    all Restore Points in your system. Then I immediately go back in and turn
    Restore Points back on. I do this periodically even if I have not installed
    any new programs because System Restore occasionally will become corrupt and
    cannot be used -- and it always happens at the most inopportune moments.

    MaryL

    MaryL, Mar 27, 2006
  11. Agnes L

    MaryL Guest

    Repair install on XP

    MaryL, Mar 27, 2006
  12. Agnes L

    MaryL Guest

    Re: System Restore question

    "MaryL" <-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message

    Sorry...I intended to forward this message to a friend who had asked a
    similar question. My hand slipped -- and I ended up posting it here under a
    new title.

    MaryL

    MaryL, Mar 27, 2006
  13. Agnes L

    Agnes L Guest

    | "Agnes L" <> wrote in message
    | > (Windows XP Pro Media Center 2005, MS Works bundle 2005,
    | > MS Word 2002, Motherboard-Intel 845)
    | >

    | > By utilizing System Restore will it affect (effect?) recent
    installed
    | > programs and/or my newly acquired high-speed Internet Provider.
    | > When l changed my ISP l had a terrible time getting connected
    | > and would prefer not to go through that again.
    | >
    | > Many Thanks,
    | > Aggie.
    | >
    | > P.S. My wee brain gone blank......Is it affect, or effect? :)
    | >

    | Recently installed programs will be deleted *if* you have to use a
    Restore
    | Point to revert backwards to before that date. Otherwise, it will
    have no
    | effect, and data also will not be affected. To avoid this problem, I
    wait
    | until I am sure everything is working correctly. Then I go into
    Control
    | Panel and turn off System Restore. Be cautious because this will
    eliminate
    | all Restore Points in your system. Then I immediately go back in and
    turn
    | Restore Points back on. I do this periodically even if I have not
    installed
    | any new programs because System Restore occasionally will become
    corrupt and
    | cannot be used -- and it always happens at the most inopportune
    moments.

    | MaryL

    Great idea! When l iron out all the kinks on my computer, l''ll do just
    that.
    Thanks, Aggie.

    Agnes L, Mar 27, 2006