Yes, I'm a newbie

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by NoNewz_is_GoodNewz, Nov 6, 2003.

  1. And I have a question. I hope I can explain it well enough to maybe get
    some help...

    I built a PC from scratch while taking my A+ course. I got it all set up
    and running win2k, no major issues. EXCEPT the case I bought (an eBay
    cheapy) had a bad on/off switch.

    So, I bought another case, with side window, and in this one, i rearranged
    the cd/dvd drives, so that now the DVD drive is in the top bay, the CD is in
    the next one down. Then, I decided to put in a mobile tray for the hard
    drive, which is below the CD burner. Under that of course, is my floppy.

    Now, when it boots up, it's telling me to reboot or to insert the boot disk.
    Any ideas why?

    I'm thinking that it is in the order that the drives are now set up, the
    motherboard has slots for primary/secondary/floppy/IDE, and when windows was
    set up in the original case, it was set up with things in one order, and now
    that I've moved it to case #2, and moved things around, windows isn't
    recognizing the drives now.

    Either that, or I've totally screwed up my cable connections and have them
    sticking in the drives/motherboard incorrectly.

    Can someone help me out on this one?

    The dual cold cathode UV tubes and UV sensitive and colored light up fans
    look and work great tho! Too bad I'm having these other issues to ruin my
    otherwise perfect first PC build!

    Thanks!

    Linda
    NoNewz_is_GoodNewz, Nov 6, 2003

  2. Thanks, I think that I have 'plugged' the HDD into something other than the
    primary.... I'll check it out tomorrow night and get back.

    I appreciate your time!

    Linda

    NoNewz_is_GoodNewz, Nov 6, 2003

  3. NoNewz_is_GoodNewz

    David Hough Guest

    If you are running cable select and plug the slave into the connecter
    that was the master and the master into the other, then the slave is now
    the master and the master is now the slave. The computer will now try
    to boot off the new master.
    David Hough, Nov 6, 2003
  4. NoNewz_is_GoodNewz

    Kenny Guest

    Check carefully the jumpering of your HDD and DVD/CD drives and which IDE
    channel they are connected to on m/b.
    Some people differ on the question of whether an optical drive should be on
    the same IDE channel as an HDD but my suggestion here would be to jumper the
    HDD as Master and connect only it to the Primary IDE channel on m/b.
    Jumper the DVD as Master and CDROM as Slave and connect these on same cable
    to the Secondary IDE channel on m/b. Only exception is if the HDD is
    Western Digital it's actually better to have NO jumpers on it if its a
    single drive and use CS jumpers if using 2 HDD's. Also some CDRW drives
    like to be the Master. Where the drives are physically doesn't matter, it's
    the cabling and jumpering which does. Make sure BIOS is set to
    automatically detect drives.

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Nov 6, 2003
  5. Thanks everyone!

    Good news! I got it! I had the cable from the HDD into the IDE slot...

    I have a New problem tho, but I'll make that one a new post.

    Linda

    NoNewz_is_GoodNewz, Nov 7, 2003
  6. Thanks so much! I feel pretty successful in my first build...

    If anyone knows anything about video cards (specifically All in Wonder with
    tv tuner), please see my other post...

    Thanks... You guys are awesome!

    Linda

    NoNewz_is_GoodNewz, Nov 7, 2003
  7. Oh yeah, One other question

    During all my mess, I went to play a CD, and it got no sound, but the
    speakers are new, and they work (hear all windows sounds)... The cable from
    the front of the case that says CD audio on it doesn't reach the little plug
    on the motherboard to allow sound from the front of the case.

    Do you think that this is the reason for no sound from a commercially made
    music CD, and if so, how do I get it to reach? Is there an adapter
    somewhere?

    Linda

    NoNewz_is_GoodNewz, Nov 7, 2003
  8. NoNewz_is_GoodNewz

    eveversion4 Guest

    Re: Oh yeah, One other question

    NoNewz_is_GoodNewz wrote:
    > During all my mess, I went to play a CD, and it got no sound, but the
    > speakers are new, and they work (hear all windows sounds)... The cable from
    > the front of the case that says CD audio on it doesn't reach the little plug
    > on the motherboard to allow sound from the front of the case.
    >
    > Do you think that this is the reason for no sound from a commercially made
    > music CD, and if so, how do I get it to reach? Is there an adapter
    > somewhere?
    >
    > Linda

    Linda,

    I'm not exactly sure what you mean here but I think that you are talking
    about the little tiny cable that you would normally plug one end into
    your cd-rom or dvd-rom and then the other end into your soundcard or in
    your case, the sound system integrated into your motherboard. If there
    is no connection from the drive to the on-board sound, you will hear no
    music. You should be able to find a longer skinny cable at your local
    computer store.

    eve

    [snip]

    **************************
    Remove _DONTSENDMECRAP_ to send email to me. Thanks!!
    eveversion4, Nov 7, 2003
  9. Re: Oh yeah, One other question

    Hi Dave....

    Yes, it's the little twisted two wire job with the small black (single)
    connector. The problem is that the audio jack on the motherboard for this
    wire is located between my pci slots, but they are toward the rear of my
    case, and obviously, the wire comes from the front at the CD rom bay... It
    doesn't reach. Happened to me with my original case too...

    Linda

    NoNewz_is_GoodNewz, Nov 7, 2003
  10. Re: Oh yeah, One other question

    Thanks....

    The 'other end' of the cable is attached to the case itself, came
    pre-installed, and not sure I can remove it to add a totally new longer
    cable, even if available.

    What I need probably is an add on length of cable - something to plug into
    the motherboard end, to give it more length so it can reach the place on the
    mobo.

    Does anyone know if that type of extension is available?

    Linda

    NoNewz_is_GoodNewz, Nov 7, 2003
  11. Re: Oh yeah, One other question

    If I'm reading this right, you want/have a cable that plugs into the outside
    of the Computer/ Front of the CD to the inside of the case/to the
    motherboard? Are you sure your not talking about a black cable about 4
    wires, with a black end about 1/3 of an inch by 2milli meters? That should
    plug into the back of the CD ROM right beside the IDE Cable.

    I've never seen a case where it runs from the outside to the inside...

    Philip

    C. Philip Cutler II, Nov 7, 2003
  12. Re: Oh yeah, One other question

    No, that isn't what I'm talking about... It is an internal tow wire twisted
    cable .... very small four prong male connector on the end that connects to
    the motherboard. The other end is attached to the front case speaker, it
    came attached with the case. All internal.

    Linda

    NoNewz_is_GoodNewz, Nov 8, 2003
  13. Re: Oh yeah, One other question

    Hi...

    Thanks Navin!

    NO, I don't mean the jack on the front outside of the case. This wire came
    pre-attached behind the drive bay, front speaker area, and I have no idea
    what to do with it. It says CD audio on the connector that goes to the
    motherboard. Only, the wires don't reach.

    But that makes total sense of what wire I DO need, so I'll just leave that
    other one hanging, it doesn't seem to be essential. I'll look for the one
    that you told me about.

    Dammit, I just came from COMPUSA again too!!!!

    Back I go.....

    Thanks again!

    Linda
    "Navin R. Johnson" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 05:59:40 GMT, "NoNewz_is_GoodNewz"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > Linda,
    >
    > I've been reading the follow-ups to your question and I think you're a
    > little confused. Some cases come with convenience audio jacks located in
    > the front panel - next to the two front USB ports. They just give easy
    > access to the audio connectors in case you want to plug in a set of
    > headphones or a mike without rooting around behind the system. You don't
    > have to connect it to get audio from the CD-ROM drive.
    >
    > The CD audio cable that you're missing goes from the 4-pin audio
    > connector on the back of the CD-ROM drive (next to the
    > Master/Slave/Cable Select jumper block) to the 'CD Audio In' connector
    > located either on the sound card or, in your case, the motherboard.
    > This cable is usually gray with two small flat 4-pin connectors attached
    > to the ends with three or four wires colored black, red and white
    > exposed at the connectors. Check the stuff that came along with the
    > CD-ROM drive. You should have had a package containing the mountng
    > screws, the IDE ribbon cable and the CD-Audio cable. Go here for a
    > picture of what the cable looks like:

    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=1&submit=Go&description=cd,
    audio%2Ccable

    NoNewz_is_GoodNewz, Nov 8, 2003
  14. Re: Oh yeah, One other question

    OOooops! I said male connector, it's actually a female.

    Sometimes, it's just so hard to tell the difference ;)

    Linda

    NoNewz_is_GoodNewz, Nov 8, 2003
  15. Re: Oh yeah, One other question

    Hi....

    Thanks for responding. I'll take a look at the wiring a little later today
    to verify it says 'cd audio', it may only say 'audio' or 'something else
    audio'. It is NOT part of the bundle of wires that has Power LED, reset
    switch etc. It is one single pair of twisted wires that is attached
    somewhere in the front panel section of the case (there is kinda a wall
    dividing this section of the case and the section where the motherboard is
    housed. The case has a front headphone jack, firewire/usb ports in a small
    covered section, not actually a speaker. I'm thinking that this wire
    probably is to enable the headphone audio from the front.

    I have perfect system sounds without this being connected, I have my
    start-up beep.

    This is the second case I've bought for this pc, and the other was a totally
    different one/different manufacturer - and it was the same way. I'm sure
    it's something simple, but I just can't figure it out, nor why the
    manufacturer wouldn't make the wires LONGER to reach the section of the
    motherboard where it should go???

    Linda

    NoNewz_is_GoodNewz, Nov 9, 2003
  16. NoNewz_is_GoodNewz

    Bret Guest

    Re: Oh yeah, One other question

    On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 15:35:06 GMT, "NoNewz_is_GoodNewz"
    <> wrote:

    >I have perfect system sounds without this being connected, I have my
    >start-up beep.

    Lots of mobos have a small speaker onboard for system beeps, so the
    connector might still be the case speaker.
    Bret, Nov 9, 2003
  17. Re: Oh yeah, One other question

    Do I need it to be connected? And if so, do you know of any extensions so
    it will reach the mobo?

    Thanks!

    Linda

    NoNewz_is_GoodNewz, Nov 9, 2003
  18. NoNewz_is_GoodNewz

    Bret Guest

    Re: Oh yeah, One other question

    On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 19:23:38 GMT, "NoNewz_is_GoodNewz"
    <> wrote:

    >Do I need it to be connected? And if so, do you know of any extensions so
    >it will reach the mobo?

    You don't need a system beep at all, seeing as you have a beep
    already, I see no need to connet the front speaker(assuming that is
    what it is)

    Bret, Nov 9, 2003