    Has anyone found the "Easter Egg" as listed on the Warner/BBC "Yes,
    Prime Minister" set? ;)

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Sep 26, 2003

  2. Derek Janssen wrote:
    > Regardless of whether this might or might not be the correct forum for
    > an inquiry of this nature, I had reason to bring to the table a question
    > regarding a standard tradition among DVD programmers and source code
    > authors--that is, widely considered traditional among its consumers, and
    > certainly indeed among its producers in the industry--with regards to
    > the practice of extraneous bonus material buried within the source code,
    > as beneficial or not beneficial to the consumer, and meant to escape
    > wider notice, whether it might be in wider public interest (although I
    > hesitate to say my own interest, nevertheless that does happen to be the
    > case), that those who are in possession of such information regarding
    > the extraneous material could be persuaded into a public or limited
    > disclosure, certainly not escaping the confines of the forum and its
    > jurisdictions, and not taking into account whether the manufacturer of
    > the product had intended, or even possibly hoped, this to be the case?
    >
    > In other words--
    > Has anyone found the "Easter Egg" as listed on the Warner/BBC "Yes,
    > Prime Minister" set? ;)
    >
    > Derek Janssen

    You stole fifteen seconds of my life and I want them back.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Sep 26, 2003

  3. Grand Inquisitor wrote:

    >> Regardless of whether this might or might not be the correct forum for
    >> an inquiry of this nature, I had reason to bring to the table a
    >> question regarding a standard tradition among DVD programmers and
    >> source code authors--that is, widely considered traditional among its
    >> consumers, and certainly indeed among its producers in the
    >> industry--with regards to the practice of extraneous bonus material
    >> buried within the source code, as beneficial or not beneficial to the
    >> consumer, and meant to escape wider notice, whether it might be in
    >> wider public interest (although I hesitate to say my own interest,
    >> nevertheless that does happen to be the case), that those who are in
    >> possession of such information regarding the extraneous material could
    >> be persuaded into a public or limited disclosure, certainly not
    >> escaping the confines of the forum and its jurisdictions, and not
    >> taking into account whether the manufacturer of the product had
    >> intended, or even possibly hoped, this to be the case?
    >>
    >> In other words--
    >> Has anyone found the "Easter Egg" as listed on the Warner/BBC "Yes,
    >> Prime Minister" set? ;)

    > You stole fifteen seconds of my life and I want them back.

    <Nigel Hawthorne:> Alas, that *is* the way of politics...

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Sep 26, 2003
  4. Derek Janssen

    Stan Brown Guest

    Stan Brown, Sep 27, 2003
  5. Derek Janssen <> wrote:
    > Has anyone found the "Easter Egg" as listed on the Warner/BBC "Yes,
    > Prime Minister" set? ;)

    In terms of one thing or the other, at the end of the day, when all's
    said and done, not to put *too* fine a point on it...

    ....go to the "Special Features" menu on Disc Three, highlight "Main
    Menu" and go left. You'll highlight a gift-wrapped box icon just left
    of the "Trailers" menu entry. It leads to a short clip done as part of
    Noel Edmonds' Christmas-morning show from 1987.

    HTH,

    doug

    --

    ---------------Douglas Bailey ()---------------
    I can't see the lines I used to think I could read between...

    Douglas Bailey, Sep 27, 2003
  6. "Douglas Bailey" <> wrote in message
    > Derek Janssen <> wrote:
    > > Has anyone found the "Easter Egg" as listed on the Warner/BBC "Yes,
    > > Prime Minister" set? ;)

    > In terms of one thing or the other, at the end of the day, when all's
    > said and done, not to put *too* fine a point on it...

    Don't do that, LOL, I'll spit my drink out!

    Great series, though.

    Steve

    Steve Knoblock, Sep 28, 2003
  7. Derek Janssen

    Stan Brown Guest

    In article <fGodb.161525$3o3.11569286@bgtnsc05-
    news.ops.worldnet.att.net> in alt.video.dvd, Steve Knoblock
    <> wrote:
    >"Douglas Bailey" <> wrote in message
    >> Derek Janssen <> wrote:
    >> > Has anyone found the "Easter Egg" as listed on the Warner/BBC "Yes,
    >> > Prime Minister" set? ;)

    >> In terms of one thing or the other, at the end of the day, when all's
    >> said and done, not to put *too* fine a point on it...

    >Don't do that, LOL, I'll spit my drink out!
    >
    >Great series, though.

    Yes it is.

    Does anyone know whether it's Macrovision encoded? I'd like to show
    my statistics class the three-minute segment in "The Ministerial
    Broadcast" where Sir Humphrey tells Bernard how to get any desired
    result from an opinion poll; but there's only a VCR in the classroom
    so I'd need to copy that part to VHS.

    And _that_ means hauling pieces of equipment out from the built-in
    cabinets and moving cables around. I'd rather not go through that if
    it's doomed not to work.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com

    Stan Brown, Sep 28, 2003
  8. Stan Brown <> wrote:

    > Does anyone know whether it's Macrovision encoded? I'd like to show
    > my statistics class the three-minute segment in "The Ministerial
    > Broadcast" where Sir Humphrey tells Bernard how to get any desired
    > result from an opinion poll...

    Do you know an easy way to check it? A utility program or something?
    I'll happily have a look at my discs for you, but I don't know how to
    establish the presence/absence of Macrovision.

    It doesn't seem to have the logo on the back cover, but I doubt that's
    definitive.

    doug

    Douglas Bailey, Sep 28, 2003
  9. Derek Janssen

    Stan Brown Guest

    In article <> in
    alt.video.dvd, Douglas Bailey <> wrote:
    >Stan Brown <> wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone know whether it's Macrovision encoded? I'd like to show
    >> my statistics class the three-minute segment in "The Ministerial
    >> Broadcast" where Sir Humphrey tells Bernard how to get any desired
    >> result from an opinion poll...

    >Do you know an easy way to check it? A utility program or something?

    No, I don't. I agree that the absence of a logo isn't definitive.

    It's only fifteen minutes' work to haul out the machine and
    rearrange the cables, so I guess I'll just try it and see what
    happens.

    Thanks for finding me the Easter egg, by the way. I have to admit I
    chuckled out loud.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com

    Stan Brown, Sep 28, 2003
  10. Derek Janssen

    Erik Harris Guest

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 01:15:27 -0400, Douglas Bailey <>
    wrote:

    >Do you know an easy way to check it? A utility program or something?
    >I'll happily have a look at my discs for you, but I don't know how to
    >establish the presence/absence of Macrovision.

    Try recording a few seconds of it with your VCR. If you see a crappy picture
    in black and white on the recording, it's protected.

    Or try recording part of it with some digital recorder (PVR, camcorder, etc).
    If it's protected, you'll generally get an error saying so, and it won't even
    let you try to copy.

    For a decently connected home theater setup, this should be really easy to
    test with minimal or no rewiring. If some rewiring is required, you'd only
    need to plug the DVD player's video plug into the VCR/PVR/Camcorder input,
    and not the audio, since your sole purpose at this point is to see if it'll
    work.

    --
    Erik Harris n$wsr$ader@$harrishom$.com
    AIM: KngFuJoe http://www.eharrishome.com

    The above email address is obfuscated to try to prevent SPAM.
    Replace each dollar sign with an "e" for the correct address.

    Erik Harris, Sep 28, 2003