Yes...another memory question. No boot up on 8 gigs of stick.

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by hoovinc, Sep 18, 2008.

  1. hoovinc

    hoovinc Guest

    Hello All,

    Not sure if this is an OS thing but here it goes. Newly built PC running
    Windows XP
    pro x64 edition. Srvc pack 2.
    With 4 sticks of memory (8 gb total)..pc won't boot up at all (no signal on
    monitors). It takes 4 to 5 shut downs and pc wil eventually boot up( But
    upon boot up, it will give me a blue screen error--but reboots itself and it
    will finally be good to go). So when the pc if finally running, it could
    run for hours without any problem. Even if I restart the pc ...it would
    boot up fine ( as long as it's been running fine).
    Lately, i've been running it with only 2 sticks of memory (4gb total)...and
    it boots up
    fine and dandy. But I do want to utilize the 8gb capability of this mobo and
    64bit tech.
    Any body have any clue on whats the issue here?
    btw: Both with 4 gigs or 8 gigs...the pc reads the memory fine.

    hoovinc, Sep 18, 2008

  2. You have a problem with your system. Maybe the brand of
    memory? It's one of those things you will need to work out.
    Start by making sure you have the most current version of
    BIOS. Then look carefully at your installed cards - there
    are some add in cards that will affect the system.

    It's not an easy answer.

    I am using two Biostar TA770 A2+ boards with 4 x 2GB
    DDR2-800 without any problems; one board is supporting Vista
    Enterprise x64 and the other supporting Windows XP Pro x64.
    Both recognize and use all 8GB of memory.

    Bobby Johnson, Sep 18, 2008

  3. We've seen something like this repeatedly. It seem to narrow down to voltage
    issues when using 4 sticks of memory, and the solution in some cases has
    been as simple as increaing the voltage 10% or so on the memory. In other
    cases, the solution has been "elusive" to be polite. Sometimes going to
    slower RAM has solved it. Sometimes a 2x2 GB + 2x1GB solution has solutiont
    has solved it. Sometimes, nothing does. I have a board that can run 6GB
    fine, no issues at all. But put 8GB in it, and it won't boot. Annoying,
    since I was going to use that board for my SBS virtualization box, and I
    wanted to give SBS a full 7GB.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64