yeah Im back

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thingy, Nov 15, 2005.

  1. thingy

    thingy Guest

    :D

    Got an identical motherboard for $45....."burnt it in" for 36 hours,
    made sure no swolen caps...

    :)

    Old one has at least 8 busted capacitors....all the same sized ones,
    smaller and bigger ones looooook OK.

    :(

    Huge IRQ conflicts trying to refill the motherboard with all my pci
    cards....kernel panics making me think I had zapped a cpu...arrg!!!

    :/

    Seems while my old motherboard was happy with adaptec scsi cards the new
    one doesnt, only difference is a later bios....v1.9 v v1.6....

    Im going to have a go re-capping the motherboard though..... 8
    capacitors at 20c each...worth a shot....

    :)

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Nov 15, 2005

  2. thingy

    Richard Guest

    thingy wrote:

    > Im going to have a go re-capping the motherboard though..... 8
    > capacitors at 20c each...worth a shot....

    Just make sure you get low esr ones to replace them with. otherwise yeah, it
    should solve it, only reason its not done is that its not worth the servicemans
    time to do it on an old mobo.

    Richard, Nov 15, 2005

  3. thingy

    XP Guest

    On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 22:43:39 +1300, thingy <> wrote:

    >:D
    >
    >Got an identical motherboard for $45....."burnt it in" for 36 hours,
    >made sure no swolen caps...
    >
    >:)
    >
    >Old one has at least 8 busted capacitors....all the same sized ones,
    >smaller and bigger ones looooook OK.

    :mad:

    >Huge IRQ conflicts trying to refill the motherboard with all my pci
    >cards....kernel panics making me think I had zapped a cpu...arrg!!!
    >
    >:/
    >
    >Seems while my old motherboard was happy with adaptec scsi cards the new
    >one doesnt, only difference is a later bios....v1.9 v v1.6....
    >
    >Im going to have a go re-capping the motherboard though..... 8
    >capacitors at 20c each...worth a shot....

    Sorry Wrong type of Gaps you need very LOW ESR ones they are not 20c at
    all.

    That card is covered buy the CGA, all this into was posted in a Mag recently
    as it a Manufactures fault Totally..

    Unless it over 5 years old..?

    XP, Nov 15, 2005
  4. thingy

    thingy Guest

    XP wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 22:43:39 +1300, thingy <> wrote:
    >

    >>:D
    >>
    >>Got an identical motherboard for $45....."burnt it in" for 36 hours,
    >>made sure no swolen caps...
    >>
    >>:)
    >>
    >>Old one has at least 8 busted capacitors....all the same sized ones,
    >>smaller and bigger ones looooook OK.
    >>
    >:mad:
    >>
    >>Huge IRQ conflicts trying to refill the motherboard with all my pci
    >>cards....kernel panics making me think I had zapped a cpu...arrg!!!
    >>
    >>:/
    >>
    >>Seems while my old motherboard was happy with adaptec scsi cards the new
    >>one doesnt, only difference is a later bios....v1.9 v v1.6....
    >>
    >>Im going to have a go re-capping the motherboard though..... 8
    >>capacitors at 20c each...worth a shot....

    > Sorry Wrong type of Gaps you need very LOW ESR ones they are not 20c at
    > all.

    These are reduced to clear from $1, but they probably are not ESR anyway....

    Who sells them?

    > That card is covered buy the CGA, all this into was posted in a Mag recently
    > as it a Manufactures fault Totally..
    >

    > Unless it over 5 years old..?

    Neither are.

    The company I got the m/board from is no longer with us.

    I dont have the receipt for the graphics card and Im not sure who I
    bought it off it was in 2002 or 2003.

    thingy, Nov 15, 2005
  5. thingy

    XP Guest

    On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 06:31:23 +1300, thingy <> wrote:

    >XP wrote:
    >> On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 22:43:39 +1300, thingy <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>:D
    >>>
    >>>Got an identical motherboard for $45....."burnt it in" for 36 hours,
    >>>made sure no swolen caps...
    >>>
    >>>:)
    >>>
    >>>Old one has at least 8 busted capacitors....all the same sized ones,
    >>>smaller and bigger ones looooook OK.
    >>>
    >>:mad:
    >>>
    >>>Huge IRQ conflicts trying to refill the motherboard with all my pci
    >>>cards....kernel panics making me think I had zapped a cpu...arrg!!!
    >>>
    >>>:/
    >>>
    >>>Seems while my old motherboard was happy with adaptec scsi cards the new
    >>>one doesnt, only difference is a later bios....v1.9 v v1.6....
    >>>
    >>>Im going to have a go re-capping the motherboard though..... 8
    >>>capacitors at 20c each...worth a shot....

    >> Sorry Wrong type of Gaps you need very LOW ESR ones they are not 20c at
    >> all.

    >These are reduced to clear from $1, but they probably are not ESR anyway....
    >
    >Who sells them?

    Radio Spares or Farnel

    >> That card is covered buy the CGA, all this into was posted in a Mag recently
    >> as it a Manufactures fault Totally..
    >>

    >> Unless it over 5 years old..?

    >Neither are.
    >
    >The company I got the m/board from is no longer with us.

    Contact the MoBo maker..

    Or the Importers.

    XP, Nov 15, 2005
  6. thingy

    thing2 Guest

    XP wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 06:31:23 +1300, thingy <> wrote:
    >

    >>XP wrote:

    >>>:mad:

    >>>Sorry Wrong type of Gaps you need very LOW ESR ones they are not 20c at
    >>>all.

    >>These are reduced to clear from $1, but they probably are not ESR anyway....
    >>
    >>Who sells them?

    > Radio Spares or Farnel
    >

    >>>That card is covered buy the CGA, all this into was posted in a Mag recently
    >>>as it a Manufactures fault Totally..
    >>>

    >>>Unless it over 5 years old..?

    >>Neither are.
    >>
    >>The company I got the m/board from is no longer with us.

    > Contact the MoBo maker..

    worth an email.

    > Or the Importers.

    Any idea who is for MSI boards?

    regards

    Thing

    thing2, Nov 15, 2005
  7. thingy wrote:
    > :D
    >
    > Got an identical motherboard for $45....."burnt it in" for 36 hours,
    > made sure no swolen caps...
    >
    > :)
    >
    > Old one has at least 8 busted capacitors....all the same sized ones,
    > smaller and bigger ones looooook OK.
    >
    > :(
    >
    > Huge IRQ conflicts trying to refill the motherboard with all my pci
    > cards....kernel panics making me think I had zapped a cpu...arrg!!!
    >
    > :/
    >
    > Seems while my old motherboard was happy with adaptec scsi cards the new
    > one doesnt, only difference is a later bios....v1.9 v v1.6....
    >
    > Im going to have a go re-capping the motherboard though..... 8
    > capacitors at 20c each...worth a shot....
    >
    > :)
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Try this site if you haven't been there already.

    http://badcaps.net/

    Regards
    DM.

    Donovan Marshall, Nov 17, 2005