    One question I have for you guys, I had the question, wich interface is
    better suited for a Digital Film recorder. I hesitated betwwen IEEE 1394
    and USB... I think both are right..

    Bizoune, Nov 25, 2003

  2. Bizoune

    Jinkies Guest

    In article <1nMwb.36535$>,
    says...

    >I scored 900 on both COre and Software..
    >

    >Thanks for all your help, although I did not asked many question here, I was
    >always browsing, and taking notes...
    >Again thanks.
    >
    >One question I have for you guys, I had the question, wich interface is
    >better suited for a Digital Film recorder. I hesitated betwwen IEEE 1394
    >and USB... I think both are right..

    1394 is the faster, newer protocol. Its hard for me to believe you got 900
    while wondering about such a simple question. But really this demonstrates the
    ultimate futility of multiple-choice assessment tests. The question asked you
    which is 'better' which is subjective. USB is more ubiquitous, and the client
    likely already has a USB interface in his machine, so you might think that USB
    is the 'better' choice. But the answer the test is looking for is Firewire,
    the tip off is in the term 'digital film recorder' (a device that stores a very
    large amount of data, necessitating a fast/wide datapipe).

    Congrats on your pass

    Jinkies, Nov 25, 2003

  3. Bizoune

    Bizoune Guest

    > 1394 is the faster, newer protocol. Its hard for me to believe you got
    900
    > while wondering about such a simple question. But really this

    demonstrates the
    > ultimate futility of multiple-choice assessment tests. The question

    asked you
    > which is 'better' which is subjective. USB is more ubiquitous, and the

    client
    > likely already has a USB interface in his machine, so you might think that

    USB
    > is the 'better' choice. But the answer the test is looking for is

    Firewire,
    > the tip off is in the term 'digital film recorder' (a device that stores a

    very
    > large amount of data, necessitating a fast/wide datapipe).

    That's the problem, it's too simple. Usb 2.0 would be alright(at 480 Mbps),
    as well as firewire.

    And btw, I don't care you don't beleive me! I have nothing to prove...

    Bizoune, Nov 25, 2003
  4. Bizoune

    Bizoune Guest

    > USB 2.0 would be OK but Firewire was largely designed to support digital
    > video.

    Thanks man, that's what I chose...

    Bizoune, Nov 25, 2003
  5. Bizoune

    Jinkies Guest

    In article <LiNwb.36559$>,
    says...

    >And btw, I don't care you don't beleive me! I have nothing to prove...

    I didn't say I didn't believe you I said I found it hard to believe. This is
    not an assessment of your character because I would find it hard to believe no
    matter who it had happened to. Clearly, coming on this newsgroup to announce
    that you got 900 when you didn't wouldn't serve much of a purpose. Some people
    might assume your rush to defend yourself against what you erroneously
    interpreted as an accusation suggests that you are guilty (he who doth protest
    too much), however I don't make that assumption.

    Jinkies, Nov 25, 2003
  6. Bizoune

    Jinkies Guest

    In article <LiNwb.36559$>,
    says...

    >And btw, I don't care you don't beleive me! I have nothing to prove...

    Incidentally, me not believing you was not the premise I based the cogency of
    my arguement on. Since you have nothing to prove, why bother proving that you
    are incapable of identifying the level of cogency in a (particularly simple)
    arguement?

    Jinkies, Nov 25, 2003
  7. Bizoune

    Bizoune Guest

    > I didn't say I didn't believe you I said I found it hard to believe. This

    is
    > not an assessment of your character because I would find it hard to

    believe no
    > matter who it had happened to. Clearly, coming on this newsgroup to

    announce
    > that you got 900 when you didn't wouldn't serve much of a purpose. Some

    people
    > might assume your rush to defend yourself against what you erroneously
    > interpreted as an accusation suggests that you are guilty (he who doth

    protest
    > too much), however I don't make that assumption.

    Maybe I didn't deserve 900.. I still find it weird that Digital Cam
    Recorders are more popular with the IEEE 1394 interface.. To be honest, I
    have yet to see a Computer with an IEEE 1394 interface. I manage 200
    computer, and there's a total of 800 computer at my work, there's some
    USB2.0, but no FireWire...

    I still can't understand why I scored 900, on my reports, it sais I missed 2
    objectives... oh well...

    Sorry if I sounded frustrated.. I studied hard and was very proud, and the
    first thing I heard from you is, "it's hard to beleive", you don't know
    Firewire?? Duh!

    Bizoune, Nov 25, 2003
  8. Bizoune

    Jinkies Guest

    In article <LiNwb.36559$>,
    says...

    >> 1394 is the faster, newer protocol. Its hard for me to believe you got

    >900
    >> while wondering about such a simple question. But really this

    >demonstrates the
    >> ultimate futility of multiple-choice assessment tests. The question

    >asked you
    >> which is 'better' which is subjective. USB is more ubiquitous, and the

    >client
    >> likely already has a USB interface in his machine, so you might think that

    >USB
    >> is the 'better' choice. But the answer the test is looking for is

    >Firewire,
    >> the tip off is in the term 'digital film recorder' (a device that stores a

    >very
    >> large amount of data, necessitating a fast/wide datapipe).

    >That's the problem, it's too simple. Usb 2.0 would be alright(at 480 Mbps),
    >as well as firewire.

    If it were 'too simple' you wouldn't have had a problem with it. The question
    is too amibiguous, and that is why it partially stumped you. A definition of
    the word ambiguous can be found in a dictionary.

    Jinkies, Nov 25, 2003
  9. Bizoune

    Bizoune Guest

    > If it were 'too simple' you wouldn't have had a problem with it. The

    question
    > is too amibiguous, and that is why it partially stumped you. A definition

    of
    > the word ambiguous can be found in a dictionary.

    Yes, I know where to look when I don't understand a word.. but thanks!
    Sorry I can't explain myself very clearly, I'm french..

    I'm glad I'm done with this A+ stuff, I won't have to read your useless
    posts anymore.

    Bizoune, Nov 25, 2003
  10. Bizoune

    Jinkies Guest

    In article <iJNwb.36568$>,
    says...

    >> I didn't say I didn't believe you I said I found it hard to believe. This

    >is
    >> not an assessment of your character because I would find it hard to

    >believe no
    >> matter who it had happened to. Clearly, coming on this newsgroup to

    >announce
    >> that you got 900 when you didn't wouldn't serve much of a purpose. Some

    >people
    >> might assume your rush to defend yourself against what you erroneously
    >> interpreted as an accusation suggests that you are guilty (he who doth

    >protest
    >> too much), however I don't make that assumption.

    >Maybe I didn't deserve 900.. I still find it weird that Digital Cam
    >Recorders are more popular with the IEEE 1394 interface.. To be honest, I
    >have yet to see a Computer with an IEEE 1394 interface. I manage 200
    >computer, and there's a total of 800 computer at my work, there's some
    >USB2.0, but no FireWire...

    I agree with you completely, I got that same question in a practice exam and
    answered USB for exactly the reasons you described. If I hadn't taken practice
    exams and been informed what answer they were looking for, I would've answered
    that question wrong on the actual A+ exam. Did that teach me anything about
    being a computer technician? No, it simply taught me how to answer that
    question right to pass the stupid test.

    >I still can't understand why I scored 900, on my reports, it sais I missed 2
    >objectives... oh well...

    Yeah oh well, you passed, who cares! Since they switched back to linear
    format, I've noticed a lot of people saying they got 900s even though they were
    sure they got some answers that don't pertain to the new objectives wrong.
    Maybe its a bug in the test some people get. I scored 782 and was expecting a
    high 800 score based cycling through the 80 questions a few times before ending
    the exam.

    >Sorry if I sounded frustrated.. I studied hard and was very proud, and the
    >first thing I heard from you is, "it's hard to beleive", you don't know
    >Firewire?? Duh!

    I understand, my A+ experience has been frustrating for the same reasons. I
    fully support the concept of A+ and training certification but I hope the means
    improves.

    Jinkies, Nov 25, 2003
  11. Bizoune

    Jinkies Guest

    In article <GPNwb.36572$>,
    says...

    >I'm glad I'm done with this A+ stuff, I won't have to read your useless
    >posts anymore.

    If my posts are useless, we're probably all doomed.

    Jinkies, Nov 25, 2003
  12. Bizoune

    Geoff Guest

    Bizoune wrote:
    > I scored 900 on both COre and Software..
    >

    > Thanks for all your help, although I did not asked many question
    > here, I was always browsing, and taking notes...
    > Again thanks.
    >
    > One question I have for you guys, I had the question, wich interface
    > is better suited for a Digital Film recorder. I hesitated betwwen
    > IEEE 1394 and USB... I think both are right..

    it would have been 1394 (firewire)
    they hardly count usb 2.0 yet....

    Geoff, Nov 25, 2003
  13. Bizoune

    Geoff Guest

    Bizoune wrote:
    >> I didn't say I didn't believe you I said I found it hard to believe.
    >> This is not an assessment of your character because I would find it
    >> hard to believe no matter who it had happened to. Clearly, coming
    >> on this newsgroup to announce that you got 900 when you didn't
    >> wouldn't serve much of a purpose. Some people might assume your
    >> rush to defend yourself against what you erroneously interpreted as
    >> an accusation suggests that you are guilty (he who doth protest too
    >> much), however I don't make that assumption.

    > Maybe I didn't deserve 900.. I still find it weird that Digital Cam
    > Recorders are more popular with the IEEE 1394 interface.. To be
    > honest, I have yet to see a Computer with an IEEE 1394 interface. I
    > manage 200 computer, and there's a total of 800 computer at my work,
    > there's some USB2.0, but no FireWire...
    >
    > I still can't understand why I scored 900, on my reports, it sais I
    > missed 2 objectives... oh well...
    >
    > Sorry if I sounded frustrated.. I studied hard and was very proud,
    > and the first thing I heard from you is, "it's hard to beleive", you
    > don't know Firewire?? Duh!

    my motherboard has usb 2.0 and firewire on it :)
    nforce2 though....
    rox :)

    Geoff, Nov 25, 2003
  14. Bizoune

    Jinkies Guest

    In article <>, says...

    >"Jinkies" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <GPNwb.36572$>,
    >> says...
    >> >

    >> >I'm glad I'm done with this A+ stuff, I won't have to read your useless
    >> >posts anymore.
    >> >

    >> If my posts are useless, we're probably all doomed.
    >>

    >Another load of bullshit. Your posts are argumentative and vaguely
    >condescending, and in fact are useless. Pikoro? Is That You?

    There is no need to troll me in every thread just because you were incapable of
    effectively arguing your point with me in another thread. Insults wont win you
    any arguements.

    Jinkies, Nov 25, 2003
  15. Bizoune

    Bizoune Guest

    > The current 2001 objectives exams have a number of "beta" questions for

    the
    > 2003 objectives tests. These questions don't count against your overall
    > score but they apparently show up in the "further study required" column.
    > Several people have posted similar results in this newsgroup.

    That's probably why, thanks for the explaination. I think I failed one
    question, it asked me what's the resistance in a 10base5 coaxial cable.. ; )
    I guessed, maybe I got it, maybe not. It's probably in the 2003 objectives.
    I never that info in any book..

    Bizoune, Nov 25, 2003
  16. Bizoune

    Jinkies Guest

    In article <>, says...

    >"Jinkies" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <GPNwb.36572$>,
    >> says...
    >> >

    >> >I'm glad I'm done with this A+ stuff, I won't have to read your useless
    >> >posts anymore.
    >> >

    >> If my posts are useless, we're probably all doomed.
    >>

    >Another load of bullshit. Your posts are argumentative and vaguely
    >condescending, and in fact are useless. Pikoro? Is That You?

    By the way, claiming that I am 'vaguely condescending' doesn't green-light your
    insults. And Pikoro, whoever that is, is a strawman. Maybe you wish you were
    arguing with someone you can relate to, but apparently that isn't the case.

    Jinkies, Nov 25, 2003
  17. Bizoune

    Jinkies Guest

    In article <>, says...

    > Your posts are argumentative

    translation: Demonstrating how your arguements are invalid in public is rude.

    That's a common value held by many cultures, all of them inferior to the
    'arguementative' west!

    Jinkies, Nov 25, 2003
  18. Bizoune

    Jinkies Guest

    In article <>, says...

    >There have been no arguments. Only comments on your ignorance.

    ahh my arguements are rude, but yours are wise! Because, because, because..
    you say so!

    Jinkies, Nov 25, 2003
  19. Bizoune

    Jinkies Guest

    In article <>, says...

    >"Jinkies" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <1nMwb.36535$>,
    >> says...
    >> >
    >> >I scored 900 on both COre and Software..
    >> >

    >> >Thanks for all your help, although I did not asked many question here, I

    >was
    >> >always browsing, and taking notes...
    >> >Again thanks.
    >> >
    >> >One question I have for you guys, I had the question, wich interface is
    >> >better suited for a Digital Film recorder. I hesitated betwwen IEEE 1394
    >> >and USB... I think both are right..
    >> >

    >> 1394 is the faster, newer protocol.

    >Faster yes, newer no, firewire actually predates USB.

    You put up a hell of a compelling ARGUEment, because you happen to be RIGHT!!
    But wait a second, arguementativeness is a negative quality, according to you.
    I guess you'll just have to take the wind out of your own sails now...

    >>Its hard for me to believe you got 900
    >> while wondering about such a simple question.

    >Luckily, I don't think anyone puts much wieght on what you believe.

    description

    Appeal To Popularity is an attempt to convince the opponent to change his
    argument in your favour because of the opinion of the majority.

    This fallacy is similar to Bandwagon, but the difference is that bandwagon
    implies that dissidents will be social outcasts.

    >> But really this demonstrates the
    >> ultimate futility of multiple-choice assessment tests. The question

    >asked you
    >> which is 'better' which is subjective.

    >No - its not. 1394 is the correct answer because it is the best answer, if
    >you were truly familar with the technology you would understand why it is
    >the best answer.

    You're making three claims. Claim #1: I am not truely familiar with the
    technology, Claim #2: someone who is truely familiar with the technology would
    understand why it is the best answer. And claim #3, that it is the best answer.

    I've already falsified Claim #3. I have no way of proving claim #1. Claim #2
    relies on Claim #3 having not been falsified.

    Even if I hadn't falsified Claim #3, you'd still be operating under the No True
    Scotsman fallacy:

    description

    No True Scotsman is two logical errors at the same time: post hoc and begging
    the question.

    examples

    The error is named after a specific example. There is a story where a Scotsman
    reads a newspaper story about a horrible murder in London, and proudly states
    that this sort of thing can only happen in England because no Scotsman would
    ever be so deranged. Later, the news reports that the murderer was just off the
    train from Glasgow, and lived in Scotland all his life. The Scotsman reading
    the article revises his statement, saying that no true Scotsman would do such a
    thing.

    >>USB is more ubiquitous, and the client
    >> likely already has a USB interface in his machine,
    >>

    >Irrelevant. It wasn't neccesary to know anything about the client's
    >computer.

    It wasn't necessary to know anything about the client's computer to arrive at
    the answer CompTIA wants. But since the question doesn't say that it is
    irrelevent to know anything about the client's computer, it is irrelevent that
    the answer demonstrated that it was irrelevent to know anything about the
    client's computer in order to provide the correct answer. And that's because
    when we take a test we answer questions we don't question answers. If I were
    hunting a rabbit in the woods and manage to capture it, it then becomes true
    once I FIND the rabbit that everywhere I had searched for the rabbit had been
    irrelevent, but before I find the rabbit, looking for the rabbit in places I
    didn't find him was not irrelevent. This is the basis of falsification and how
    we gain scientific knowledge.

    You're ignoring the most cogent arguement, which is another common fallacy.
    The cogent arguement was that because USB is far more ubiquitous, thus ensuring
    more compatibility, it is the 'better' choice. The word 'better' is
    subjective. We know that the industry developed these standards for specific
    purposes. 1394 was developed with video in mind, and that is why CompTIA is
    wording it that way. But just because CompTIA and the computer industry want
    1394 to be the 'better' choice for consumers doesn't necessarily mean it is.
    Its like, if it were the year 1983 and you were taking a test to be a VCR
    repairman and the question is 'Which is the better format, Beta or VHS'? What
    are you going to answer? Do you think the answer the test might have been
    looking for might have been different if the test had been written by Sony,
    than if it had been written by the staff at a video rental store?

    Jinkies, Nov 25, 2003
  20. Bizoune

    Bizoune Guest

    > You're ignoring the most cogent arguement, which is another common
    fallacy.
    > The cogent arguement was that because USB is far more ubiquitous, thus

    ensuring
    > more compatibility, it is the 'better' choice. The word 'better' is
    > subjective. We know that the industry developed these standards for

    specific
    > purposes. 1394 was developed with video in mind, and that is why CompTIA

    is
    > wording it that way. But just because CompTIA and the computer industry

    want
    > 1394 to be the 'better' choice for consumers doesn't necessarily mean it

    is.
    > Its like, if it were the year 1983 and you were taking a test to be a VCR
    > repairman and the question is 'Which is the better format, Beta or VHS'?

    What
    > are you going to answer? Do you think the answer the test might have been
    > looking for might have been different if the test had been written by

    Sony,
    > than if it had been written by the staff at a video rental store?

    Jesus, you sound like the architect in Matrix 2... I didn't understand a
    thing! You need to step down a bit buddy!

    Bizoune, Nov 25, 2003