    before I pick it up. But I just thought that maybe someone has had
    experience with issues with other computer brands.

    cheers.
    Troglodyte, Nov 28, 2004

  2. Troglodyte

    Peter Guest

    Troglodyte wrote:
    > I have decided that this week Im going to pick me up one of those
    > computers offa trade me for 150 bucks. To run Linux on. Proly suse or
    > red hat. maybe even mandrake I dont know yet since I ahve all three
    > here. Instead of a duel boot. Question is this. Any h/w compatability
    > issues with the likes of dell or hp or pc company with Linux ?

    It seems to depend more on the models of components than who the assembler
    is. The main issues seem to occur with winmodems and some graphics cards
    (S3, VIA, SIS).
    If you can get to the PC, try Knoppix on it.

    HTH

    Peter
    Peter, Nov 28, 2004

  3. Troglodyte

    Chris Hope Guest

    Troglodyte wrote:

    > I have decided that this week Im going to pick me up one of those
    > computers offa trade me for 150 bucks. To run Linux on. Proly suse or
    > red hat. maybe even mandrake I dont know yet since I ahve all three
    > here. Instead of a duel boot. Question is this. Any h/w compatability
    > issues with the likes of dell or hp or pc company with Linux ?
    >
    > I know how to do the research myself. and I probably will research that
    > before I pick it up. But I just thought that maybe someone has had
    > experience with issues with other computer brands.

    I have succesfully installed Linux on Dell, HP/Compaq and PC Company
    machines in the past. Normally the main problems you are going to have are
    with graphics cards, win modems and wireless modems. Generally, if it's an
    older machine you are less likely to have problems, other than with win
    modems, although IIRC Mandrake has pretty good support for them now.

    Chris Hope, Nov 28, 2004
  4. Troglodyte

    BrianM Guest

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 04:02:38 +1300, Troglodyte wrote:

    > I have decided that this week Im going to pick me up one of those
    > computers offa trade me for 150 bucks. To run Linux on. Proly suse or
    > red hat. maybe even mandrake I dont know yet since I ahve all three
    > here. Instead of a duel boot. Question is this. Any h/w compatability
    > issues with the likes of dell or hp or pc company with Linux ?
    >
    > I know how to do the research myself. and I probably will research that
    > before I pick it up. But I just thought that maybe someone has had
    > experience with issues with other computer brands.
    >
    > cheers.

    here's some sites regarding compatibility that may help

    Redhat
    http://hardware.redhat.com/hcl/

    Mandrake
    http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/hardware.php3

    Suse
    http://hardwaredb.suse.de/index.php?LANG=en_uk

    and a kiwi one
    http://linuxhardware.co.nz/home.do

    cheers
    BM
    BrianM, Nov 28, 2004
  5. Hi there,

    Troglodyte wrote:
    > I have decided that this week Im going to pick me up one of those
    > computers offa trade me for 150 bucks. To run Linux on. Proly suse or
    > red hat. maybe even mandrake I dont know yet since I ahve all three
    > here. Instead of a duel boot. Question is this. Any h/w compatability
    > issues with the likes of dell or hp or pc company with Linux ?
    >
    > I know how to do the research myself. and I probably will research that
    > before I pick it up. But I just thought that maybe someone has had
    > experience with issues with other computer brands.

    Compatibility has less to do with brandnames, more to do with which
    componentry they install into their bulk-assembled boxen. Chipset
    issues with video and sound are most common problems, but I find
    that newer distros pretty much have it covered. Anything that doesn't
    work is either rare as hens teeth, or crap (TM) (sorry Woger)...

    Mandrake 10.0 is my pick...it has great hardware detection and a wider
    range of drivers than probably any other distro out there...nothing I've
    tried to install it on has failed to work, with only minor sound issues
    (due to oddball Via AC97) being a barrier to achieving a perfect install
    each time I've done so...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Nov 29, 2004
  6. Troglodyte

    Gordon Guest

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 06:51:43 +1300, Peter wrote:

    > The main issues seem to occur with winmodems and some graphics cards
    > (S3, VIA, SIS).

    Good grief, S3 has always worked no problem. Still there might be a
    hidden, rare vbersion out there.
    Gordon, Nov 29, 2004
  7. In article <>, Chris Wilkinson <> wrote:
    (snip)
    >Mandrake 10.0 is my pick...it has great hardware detection and a wider
    >range of drivers than probably any other distro out there...nothing I've
    >tried to install it on has failed to work, with only minor sound issues
    >(due to oddball Via AC97) being a barrier to achieving a perfect install
    >each time I've done so...

    Idle aside ... have you ever installed mandrake 10 over a working RH 9 ?

    Bruce

    ------------------------------
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals
    dying of nothing.

    -Redd Foxx

    (if there were any)
    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 29, 2004
  8. Troglodyte

    Peter Guest

    Gordon wrote:

    > On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 06:51:43 +1300, Peter wrote:
    >
    >> The main issues seem to occur with winmodems and some graphics cards
    >> (S3, VIA, SIS).

    > Good grief, S3 has always worked no problem. Still there might be a
    > hidden, rare vbersion out there.

    I struggled with S3 on a laptop once.
    Peter, Nov 29, 2004
  9. In article <> in nz.comp on Mon, 29 Nov 2004
    18:20:37 +1300, Peter <> says...
    > Gordon wrote:
    >
    > > On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 06:51:43 +1300, Peter wrote:
    > >
    > >> The main issues seem to occur with winmodems and some graphics cards
    > >> (S3, VIA, SIS).

    > > Good grief, S3 has always worked no problem. Still there might be a
    > > hidden, rare vbersion out there.

    > I struggled with S3 on a laptop once.

    The old Virge and stuff like that had about the worst drivers ever known,
    but it seems overall that video card drivers are more flaky than most
    other types of hardware, or to put it another way, bugs are more likely
    to cause problems with your system.

    One of the common points of failure for the S3 drivers was applications
    that had lots of icons in them. Depending on the particular card or
    driver, the application would either display corrupted icons or the whole
    computer would lock up. The fix being to disable the hardware
    accelerator.
    Patrick Dunford, Nov 29, 2004
  10. Troglodyte said the following on 29/11/2004 4:02 a.m.:
    > I have decided that this week Im going to pick me up one of those
    > computers offa trade me for 150 bucks. To run Linux on. Proly suse or
    > red hat. maybe even mandrake I dont know yet since I ahve all three
    > here. Instead of a duel boot. Question is this. Any h/w compatability
    > issues with the likes of dell or hp or pc company with Linux ?
    >
    > I know how to do the research myself. and I probably will research that
    > before I pick it up. But I just thought that maybe someone has had
    > experience with issues with other computer brands.
    >
    > cheers.

    I have tried several dists, my most sucessful for compatibility to
    hardware was Xandros, it supported my winmodem, Canon Inkjet, USB key,
    out of the box.
    Collector»NZ, Nov 29, 2004
  11. Hi there,

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <>, Chris Wilkinson <> wrote:
    > (snip)
    >
    >>Mandrake 10.0 is my pick...it has great hardware detection and a wider
    >>range of drivers than probably any other distro out there...nothing I've
    >>tried to install it on has failed to work, with only minor sound issues
    >>(due to oddball Via AC97) being a barrier to achieving a perfect install
    >>each time I've done so...

    > Idle aside ... have you ever installed mandrake 10 over a working RH 9 ?

    No, but I've only tried RH 8.0, not 9.0. I'd be cautious attempting an
    'install over' style install, and would likely opt for the 'wipe clean
    and install from scratch'...I just feel that Mandrake 10 is now removed
    far enough from its RH roots to be a separate entity...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Nov 30, 2004
  12. In article <>, Chris Wilkinson <> wrote:
    >Hi there,
    >Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >> In article <>, Chris Wilkinson

    > <> wrote:
    >> (snip)
    >>
    >>>Mandrake 10.0 is my pick...it has great hardware detection and a wider
    >>>range of drivers than probably any other distro out there...nothing I've
    >>>tried to install it on has failed to work, with only minor sound issues
    >>>(due to oddball Via AC97) being a barrier to achieving a perfect install
    >>>each time I've done so...

    >> Idle aside ... have you ever installed mandrake 10 over a working RH 9 ?

    >No, but I've only tried RH 8.0, not 9.0. I'd be cautious attempting an
    >'install over' style install, and would likely opt for the 'wipe clean
    >and install from scratch'...I just feel that Mandrake 10 is now removed
    >far enough from its RH roots to be a separate entity...

    Thanks. I would have probably gone mandrake initially ... except at the time
    it rather looked like mandrake was going under :)

    Bruce

    ------------------------------

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 30, 2004
  13. Re: Yeah, I know this ain't a Linux group but I'll ask anyways

    In article <>,
    Chris Wilkinson <> wrote:

    >Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >>
    >> Idle aside ... have you ever installed mandrake 10 over a working RH 9 ?

    >No, but I've only tried RH 8.0, not 9.0. I'd be cautious attempting an
    >'install over' style install, and would likely opt for the 'wipe clean
    >and install from scratch'...

    That would be my recommendation even if you were upgrading to a newer
    version of the same distro. Of course, you could save a backup of
    relevant bits of the old installation (especially /etc) so you can
    restore important settings.

    This has been my practice for a long while. Recently I broke the rule,
    and the results were sufficiently unsatisfactory for me to conclude that
    my original practice had been right all along.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 13, 2004