Yawn. One more crummy P&S appears

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rich, Feb 13, 2008.

  1. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Rich, Feb 13, 2008

  2. Rich

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Alfred Molon, Feb 13, 2008

  3. Rich

    Jufi Guest

    "Rich" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > How many hundreds of these cruddy things does Walmart and Best Buy
    > need.
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonP50/page12.asp

    Yikes....

    Perhaps Nikon should follow Pentax's lead and concentrate on the SLR
    business? I haven't seen a decent Nikon P&S in years. No excuse for the slow
    focus and handling these days.
    Jufi, Feb 13, 2008
  4. Rich

    Mike Dobony Guest

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 07:28:42 -0800 (PST), Rich wrote:

    > How many hundreds of these cruddy things does Walmart and Best Buy
    > need.
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonP50/page12.asp

    Teh 28MM equivelant should make this a popular camera with people involved
    in real estate. I wish there was a wider selection of such cameras. I had
    to end up buying a legacy, leftover FujiFilm E510 to get the wide angle.
    Mike Dobony, Feb 13, 2008
  5. Rich

    John Navas Guest

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 21:24:53 GMT, "Jufi" <> wrote in
    <FeJsj.7038$J93.4997@trndny08>:

    >"Rich" <> wrote in message
    >> How many hundreds of these cruddy things does Walmart and Best Buy
    >> need.
    >>
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonP50/page12.asp

    >Yikes....
    >
    >Perhaps Nikon should follow Pentax's lead and concentrate on the SLR
    >business?

    I think it clearly is doing that.

    >I haven't seen a decent Nikon P&S in years. No excuse for the slow
    >focus and handling these days.

    With this as the result.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas
    John Navas, Feb 13, 2008
  6. Rich

    Guest

    Re: Yawn. One more crummy P&S appears

    On Feb 13, 10:28 am, Rich <> wrote:
    > How many hundreds of these cruddy things does Walmart and Best Buy
    > need.
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonP50/page12.asp

    _I have to agree... I checked out the sample pictures, and,
    whoa... what garbage. If anyone in this newsgroup has
    already purchased one of these junkers, please wrap it
    carefully, package it, and mail it to me for... errr... disposal...
    yea... thats it... I run a coolpix garbage recycling company(!)...
    oh... and feel free to include 5 bucks or more... you know...
    having to clean my hands after picking one of these up :)
    , Feb 13, 2008
  7. Rich

    Charles Guest

    Re: Yawn. One more crummy P&S appears

    Why are we subjected to this noise? If we want to read the reviews, almost
    all of us know how to do that.

    And, that review was not all that negative!
    Charles, Feb 13, 2008
  8. Rich

    John Navas Guest

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 21:26:25 GMT, Mike Dobony
    <> wrote in
    <1w1rbwj78kdzb.1resaxnnyq6tq$>:

    >On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 07:28:42 -0800 (PST), Rich wrote:
    >
    >> How many hundreds of these cruddy things does Walmart and Best Buy
    >> need.
    >>
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonP50/page12.asp

    >Teh 28MM equivelant should make this a popular camera with people involved
    >in real estate.

    Why, when there are better cameras with 28 mm wide angle?

    >I wish there was a wider selection of such cameras.

    There are a number of them. Go to
    <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp> and select "< 28 mm" for
    Zoom wide.

    >I had
    >to end up buying a legacy, leftover FujiFilm E510 to get the wide angle.

    Why?

    John Navas, Feb 14, 2008
  9. Rich

    John Navas Guest

    Re: Yawn. One more crummy P&S appears

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 18:17:32 -0500, "Charles"
    <> wrote in
    <>:

    >Why are we subjected to this noise? ...

    Children like to bash.

    John Navas, Feb 14, 2008
  10. Rich

    Guest

    Yawn. One more crummy post complaining about P&S cameras........
    , Feb 14, 2008
  11. Mike Dobony <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 07:28:42 -0800 (PST), Rich wrote:

    >> How many hundreds of these cruddy things does Walmart and Best Buy
    >> need.
    >>
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonP50/page12.asp

    > Teh 28MM equivelant should make this a popular camera with people involved
    > in real estate.

    It would be even more popular with RE photographers if it went down to
    20mm equivalent :)

    --
    Chris Malcolm DoD #205
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]
    Chris Malcolm, Feb 14, 2008
  12. Rich

    Mike Dobony Guest

    On 14 Feb 2008 10:34:14 GMT, Chris Malcolm wrote:

    > Mike Dobony <> wrote:
    >> On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 07:28:42 -0800 (PST), Rich wrote:

    >>> How many hundreds of these cruddy things does Walmart and Best Buy
    >>> need.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonP50/page12.asp

    >> Teh 28MM equivelant should make this a popular camera with people involved
    >> in real estate.

    > It would be even more popular with RE photographers if it went down to
    > 20mm equivalent :)

    Agreed, but I had a hard time finding a 28MM equivelant. The only
    practical way to get any lower is to get a DSLR with an 18-XX MM lens and
    get a multiplier to get the actual rating of the lens.
    Mike Dobony, Feb 14, 2008
  13. Rich

    Mike Dobony Guest

    On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 00:01:21 GMT, John Navas wrote:

    > On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 21:26:25 GMT, Mike Dobony
    > <> wrote in
    > <1w1rbwj78kdzb.1resaxnnyq6tq$>:
    >
    >>On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 07:28:42 -0800 (PST), Rich wrote:
    >>
    >>> How many hundreds of these cruddy things does Walmart and Best Buy
    >>> need.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonP50/page12.asp

    >>Teh 28MM equivelant should make this a popular camera with people involved
    >>in real estate.

    > Why, when there are better cameras with 28 mm wide angle?
    >
    >>I wish there was a wider selection of such cameras.

    > There are a number of them. Go to
    > <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp> and select "< 28 mm" for
    > Zoom wide.

    I only found 3 when I looked there a month ago.

    >>I had
    >>to end up buying a legacy, leftover FujiFilm E510 to get the wide angle.

    > Why?

    1- affordable. 2- see above
    Mike Dobony, Feb 14, 2008
  14. Mike Dobony wrote:
    []
    > Agreed, but I had a hard time finding a 28MM equivelant. The only
    > practical way to get any lower is to get a DSLR with an 18-XX MM lens
    > and get a multiplier to get the actual rating of the lens.

    Mike, the Nikon 8400 is 24mm equivalent - even wider....

    David
    David J Taylor, Feb 14, 2008
  15. Rich

    Mike Dobony Guest

    On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 21:12:07 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:

    > Mike Dobony wrote:
    > []
    >> Agreed, but I had a hard time finding a 28MM equivelant. The only
    >> practical way to get any lower is to get a DSLR with an 18-XX MM lens
    >> and get a multiplier to get the actual rating of the lens.

    > Mike, the Nikon 8400 is 24mm equivalent - even wider....
    >
    > David

    I didn't see that one. Maybe because for the price I would be better off
    with something like a D40 or even a D200. OTOH, if I did that I wouldn't
    have a camera I could put in my pocket.
    Mike Dobony, Feb 15, 2008
  16. Rich

    John Navas Guest

    On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 20:52:22 GMT, Mike Dobony
    <> wrote in
    <>:

    >On 14 Feb 2008 10:34:14 GMT, Chris Malcolm wrote:

    >> It would be even more popular with RE photographers if it went down to
    >> 20mm equivalent :)

    >Agreed, but I had a hard time finding a 28MM equivelant. The only
    >practical way to get any lower is to get a DSLR with an 18-XX MM lens and
    >get a multiplier to get the actual rating of the lens.

    It's quite practical to go wider with a wide conversion adapter on a
    compact digital. The Panasonic Wide Converter for my FZ8 takes it to 25
    mm. Several other cameras also in that range.

    John Navas, Feb 15, 2008
  17. Mike Dobony wrote:
    > On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 21:12:07 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> Mike Dobony wrote:
    >> []
    >>> Agreed, but I had a hard time finding a 28MM equivelant. The only
    >>> practical way to get any lower is to get a DSLR with an 18-XX MM
    >>> lens and get a multiplier to get the actual rating of the lens.

    >> Mike, the Nikon 8400 is 24mm equivalent - even wider....
    >>
    >> David

    > I didn't see that one. Maybe because for the price I would be better
    > off with something like a D40 or even a D200. OTOH, if I did that I
    > wouldn't have a camera I could put in my pocket.

    Yes, the Nikon 8400 wasn't a cheap camera, and I don't know what the
    second-hand prices might be. I suspect that you would end up with a
    considerably cheaper and lighter alternative to the DSLR, though, as you
    would need a leans in the 15-16mm physical focal length region.

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp8400/

    If you can get to try one in the flesh, you will appreciate the robust
    feel of the camera. It can do movies as well, which is missing from the
    DSLR right now.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Feb 15, 2008
  18. Rich

    Mike Dobony Guest

    On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 08:23:02 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:

    > Mike Dobony wrote:
    >> On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 21:12:07 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:
    >>
    >>> Mike Dobony wrote:
    >>> []
    >>>
    >>> Mike, the Nikon 8400 is 24mm equivalent - even wider....
    >>>
    >>> David

    >> I didn't see that one. Maybe because for the price I would be better
    >> off with something like a D40 or even a D200. OTOH, if I did that I
    >> wouldn't have a camera I could put in my pocket.

    > Yes, the Nikon 8400 wasn't a cheap camera, and I don't know what the
    > second-hand prices might be. I suspect that you would end up with a
    > considerably cheaper and lighter alternative to the DSLR, though, as you
    > would need a leans in the 15-16mm physical focal length region.
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp8400/
    >
    > If you can get to try one in the flesh, you will appreciate the robust
    > feel of the camera. It can do movies as well, which is missing from the
    > DSLR right now.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    After the 2gb XD memory I have only about $140 into the camera I have and
    it does a good job. I don't think the extra $600 or so for the extra 4mm
    is a good value. I could add a wide angle attachement to this camera for
    under $100 for the very few times the 28mm is not enough and still have
    money in my pocket and I have movie mode also. Cheaper still is to just
    take a few extra pictures every once in a while. I *should* have looked
    into the panorama option instead. Oh well. I like what I have and didn't
    spend a lot of money on it.
    Mike Dobony, Feb 15, 2008
  19. Mike Dobony wrote:
    []
    > After the 2gb XD memory I have only about $140 into the camera I have
    > and it does a good job. I don't think the extra $600 or so for the
    > extra 4mm is a good value. I could add a wide angle attachement to
    > this camera for under $100 for the very few times the 28mm is not
    > enough and still have money in my pocket and I have movie mode also.
    > Cheaper still is to just take a few extra pictures every once in a
    > while. I *should* have looked into the panorama option instead. Oh
    > well. I like what I have and didn't spend a lot of money on it.

    Only you can decide what's good value for money - I know that I have not
    been disappointed with the Nikon 8400.

    You can still use tools like the free AutoStitch to make wider-angle
    pictures - no special options or cards needed.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Feb 15, 2008
  20. Rich

    Mr. Strat Guest

    In article <>, John Navas
    <> wrote:

    > It's quite practical to go wider with a wide conversion adapter on a
    > compact digital. The Panasonic Wide Converter for my FZ8 takes it to 25
    > mm. Several other cameras also in that range.

    Oh joy! A thing you stick on the lens to make it wider. Those things
    have always delivered stellar image quality.
    Mr. Strat, Feb 15, 2008