Yahoo-Xtra Mail help is helpless ...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Donchano, Sep 3, 2007.

  1. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    I spent around a half an hour on the phone today with Xtra's help desk
    talking to a friendly Asian chap who was trying his best to help me
    sort out my problems although the cards were stacked against him (and
    me).

    Why?

    Because the idiots at Yahoo-Xtra had him using a different version of
    their webmail interface than I was using.

    I was told that the best way to eliminate all the false-positives was
    to import my email client's address book so that good emails from my
    "contacts" would no longer be classified as spam.

    However, when I tried doing this following the instructions I'd been
    given, I got a different set of options than the ones the instructions
    said I'd get.

    Why?

    Because when I was forced to install the Yahoo mail crap, it installed
    a new beta version of their webmail programme. What the help desk
    people were using was the "classic" or old webmail interface, which
    has a completely different user interface than the one that installed
    by default.

    So all this time the people at the helpdesk (and Xtra's highly
    unreliable email help) have been telling me about options that don't
    exist in the beta version.

    Why?

    Because some stupid fucking idiot or idiots overlooked this major
    factor - just like they overlooked all the problems that would be
    caused by the mail migration to Yahoo.

    In any event, I've now been able to import my Thunderbird address book
    into Yahoo-Xtra Mail and hopefully that will solve the false-positives
    problem. Not that I won't be checking every day for a week or two to
    make sure.

    In the meantime, I'm wondering if the fools who caused all this
    inconvenience, upheaval and time wasting will be fired. Probably not,
    because, just like the government and the public service, no one at
    Xtra will ever admit that there's been a mistake, let alone take
    responsibility for it.

    Business as usual.
    Donchano, Sep 3, 2007

  2. Donchano

    Sir to you Guest

    On Sep 3, 10:11 pm, Donchano <> wrote:
    > I spent around a half an hour on the phone today with Xtra's help desk
    > talking to a friendly Asian chap who was trying his best to help me
    > sort out my problems although the cards were stacked against him (and
    > me).
    >
    > Why?
    >
    > Because the idiots at Yahoo-Xtra had him using a different version of
    > their webmail interface than I was using.
    >
    > I was told that the best way to eliminate all the false-positives was
    > to import my email client's address book so that good emails from my
    > "contacts" would no longer be classified as spam.
    >
    > However, when I tried doing this following the instructions I'd been
    > given, I got a different set of options than the ones the instructions
    > said I'd get.
    >
    > Why?
    >
    > Because when I was forced to install the Yahoo mail crap, it installed
    > a new beta version of their webmail programme. What the help desk
    > people were using was the "classic" or old webmail interface, which
    > has a completely different user interface than the one that installed
    > by default.
    >
    > So all this time the people at the helpdesk (and Xtra's highly
    > unreliable email help) have been telling me about options that don't
    > exist in the beta version.
    >
    > Why?
    >
    > Because some stupid fucking idiot or idiots overlooked this major
    > factor - just like they overlooked all the problems that would be
    > caused by the mail migration to Yahoo.
    >
    > In any event, I've now been able to import my Thunderbird address book
    > into Yahoo-Xtra Mail and hopefully that will solve the false-positives
    > problem. Not that I won't be checking every day for a week or two to
    > make sure.
    >
    > In the meantime, I'm wondering if the fools who caused all this
    > inconvenience, upheaval and time wasting will be fired. Probably not,
    > because, just like the government and the public service, no one at
    > Xtra will ever admit that there's been a mistake, let alone take
    > responsibility for it.
    >
    > Business as usual.

    I had issues with the spam filter crap and pop3. Seems 1/2 the
    'options' are being tweaked. ie, they are still in development. I've
    never seen such a shambles in my life.

    I use 2 pc's to download mail. Pre-upgrade, this worked ok and each pc
    would just down load new mail from the server. But, now I am getting
    duplicate mail. ie, pc 1 downloads mail from the server, then pc 2
    downloads the same mail.
    I spit on telecoms offer of 1 free weeks internet.
    Sir to you, Sep 3, 2007

  3. On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person
    by the name of Donchano exclaimed:
    > I spent around a half an hour on the phone today with Xtra's help desk
    > talking to a friendly Asian chap who was trying his best to help me
    > sort out my problems although the cards were stacked against him (and
    > me).

    But you'll continue using this near-useless service, no
    doubt?

    May I suggest fastmail.fm or tuffmail.com?

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and
    Aaron Lawrence, Sep 3, 2007
  4. Donchano

    John Guest

    "Donchano" <> wrote in message
    >I spent around a half an hour on the phone today with Xtra's help desk
    > talking to a friendly Asian chap who was trying his best to help me
    > sort out my problems although the cards were stacked against him (and
    > me).
    >
    > Why?
    >
    > Because the idiots at Yahoo-Xtra had him using a different version of
    > their webmail interface than I was using.
    >
    > I was told that the best way to eliminate all the false-positives was
    > to import my email client's address book so that good emails from my
    > "contacts" would no longer be classified as spam.
    >
    > However, when I tried doing this following the instructions I'd been
    > given, I got a different set of options than the ones the instructions
    > said I'd get.
    >
    > Why?
    >
    > Because when I was forced to install the Yahoo mail crap, it installed
    > a new beta version of their webmail programme. What the help desk
    > people were using was the "classic" or old webmail interface, which
    > has a completely different user interface than the one that installed
    > by default.
    >
    > So all this time the people at the helpdesk (and Xtra's highly
    > unreliable email help) have been telling me about options that don't
    > exist in the beta version.
    >
    > Why?
    >
    > Because some stupid fucking idiot or idiots overlooked this major
    > factor - just like they overlooked all the problems that would be
    > caused by the mail migration to Yahoo.
    >
    > In any event, I've now been able to import my Thunderbird address book
    > into Yahoo-Xtra Mail and hopefully that will solve the false-positives
    > problem. Not that I won't be checking every day for a week or two to
    > make sure.
    >
    > In the meantime, I'm wondering if the fools who caused all this
    > inconvenience, upheaval and time wasting will be fired. Probably not,
    > because, just like the government and the public service, no one at
    > Xtra will ever admit that there's been a mistake, let alone take
    > responsibility for it.
    >
    > Business as usual.

    You can easily switch from the Beta version of the webmail, to the older
    version, in the webmail settings. I am surprised they didn't tell you how to
    do this. The older version is far better.
    John, Sep 5, 2007
  5. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 14:57:44 +1200, "John" <>
    magnanimously proffered:

    >"Donchano" <> wrote in message
    >>I spent around a half an hour on the phone today with Xtra's help desk
    >> talking to a friendly Asian chap who was trying his best to help me
    >> sort out my problems although the cards were stacked against him (and
    >> me).
    >>
    >> Why?
    >>
    >> Because the idiots at Yahoo-Xtra had him using a different version of
    >> their webmail interface than I was using.
    >>
    >> I was told that the best way to eliminate all the false-positives was
    >> to import my email client's address book so that good emails from my
    >> "contacts" would no longer be classified as spam.
    >>
    >> However, when I tried doing this following the instructions I'd been
    >> given, I got a different set of options than the ones the instructions
    >> said I'd get.
    >>
    >> Why?
    >>
    >> Because when I was forced to install the Yahoo mail crap, it installed
    >> a new beta version of their webmail programme. What the help desk
    >> people were using was the "classic" or old webmail interface, which
    >> has a completely different user interface than the one that installed
    >> by default.
    >>
    >> So all this time the people at the helpdesk (and Xtra's highly
    >> unreliable email help) have been telling me about options that don't
    >> exist in the beta version.
    >>
    >> Why?
    >>
    >> Because some stupid fucking idiot or idiots overlooked this major
    >> factor - just like they overlooked all the problems that would be
    >> caused by the mail migration to Yahoo.
    >>
    >> In any event, I've now been able to import my Thunderbird address book
    >> into Yahoo-Xtra Mail and hopefully that will solve the false-positives
    >> problem. Not that I won't be checking every day for a week or two to
    >> make sure.
    >>
    >> In the meantime, I'm wondering if the fools who caused all this
    >> inconvenience, upheaval and time wasting will be fired. Probably not,
    >> because, just like the government and the public service, no one at
    >> Xtra will ever admit that there's been a mistake, let alone take
    >> responsibility for it.
    >>
    >> Business as usual.

    >You can easily switch from the Beta version of the webmail, to the older
    >version, in the webmail settings. I am surprised they didn't tell you how to
    >do this. The older version is far better.

    Surprised? I'm dumbfounded!

    After numerous calls and emails, one of Xtra's help reps finally
    figured out that I was using a completely different interface than he
    was.

    It took a half an hour, but he had the patience and intelligence to
    realise that something was wrong. Xtra obviously didn't tell him (or
    any of the other helpdesk reps) about this. He figured it out on his
    own.

    So Xtra foisted this beta version on us as the default when we
    installed the new software that would allow us to access our webmail -
    which had to be done before we could discover all those legitimate
    emails that had been marked as spam. But the idiots failed to let
    their own helpdesk know about the new Yahoo webmail interface. No
    wonder their advice was totally useless, because it wouldn't work in
    the beta interface.

    Idiots. Amateurish idiots. Off with their heads ...
    Donchano, Sep 5, 2007
  6. In message <>, Donchano wrote:

    > In the meantime, I'm wondering if the fools who caused all this
    > inconvenience, upheaval and time wasting will be fired. Probably not,
    > because, just like the government and the public service, no one at
    > Xtra will ever admit that there's been a mistake, let alone take
    > responsibility for it.

    It will only be an issue if it costs them customers. If the customers don't
    leave, then by definition there's no problem.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 7, 2007
  7. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 17:25:51 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> magnanimously proffered:

    >In message <>, Donchano wrote:
    >
    >> In the meantime, I'm wondering if the fools who caused all this
    >> inconvenience, upheaval and time wasting will be fired. Probably not,
    >> because, just like the government and the public service, no one at
    >> Xtra will ever admit that there's been a mistake, let alone take
    >> responsibility for it.

    >It will only be an issue if it costs them customers. If the customers don't
    >leave, then by definition there's no problem.

    Or costs them money.

    Which is what my last complaint to the Commerce Commission
    accomplished and what hopefully will happen again with the formal
    complaint I'm drafting now.
    Donchano, Sep 9, 2007