Yahoo!Xtra Mail delivery problem

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Matty F, Mar 22, 2011.

  1. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    Yahoo!Xtra are refusing to send emails for no apparent reason.
    e.g. a message to a single recipient every few weeks.
    I can't be bothered dealing with their Customer Care.
    Can anyone recommend a better email host?

    This is the message I get:
    Your message was not sent

    Your account has been temporarily blocked from sending messages. This
    block can be caused by sending messages that trigger our spam filters,
    or by having too many recipients in one email. We encourage you to
    review the contents and recipient list of your message, and try
    sending it at after an hour or two. Doing so will usually resolve the
    matter.
    If you are still unable to send messages after a 24-hour period,
    please read our FAQ for more information and to request Customer Care
    assistance.

    We apologise for the inconvenience.

    Thanks,

    The Yahoo!Xtra Mail Team

    Matty F, Mar 22, 2011

  2. On 23/03/2011 10:18 a.m., Matty F wrote:
    > Yahoo!Xtra are refusing to send emails for no apparent reason.
    > e.g. a message to a single recipient every few weeks.
    > I can't be bothered dealing with their Customer Care.
    > Can anyone recommend a better email host?
    >
    > This is the message I get:
    > Your message was not sent
    >
    > Your account has been temporarily blocked from sending messages. This
    > block can be caused by sending messages that trigger our spam filters,
    > or by having too many recipients in one email. We encourage you to
    > review the contents and recipient list of your message, and try
    > sending it at after an hour or two. Doing so will usually resolve the
    > matter.
    > If you are still unable to send messages after a 24-hour period,
    > please read our FAQ for more information and to request Customer Care
    > assistance.
    >
    > We apologise for the inconvenience.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > The Yahoo!Xtra Mail Team

    Try gmail (google mail)

    Roger Dewhurst, Mar 23, 2011

  3. Matty F

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <a0b1d800-5b05-4f40-83f8-eadc2ab4ea92
    @o15g2000prn.googlegroups.com>, , Matty F says...

    > Yahoo!Xtra are refusing to send emails for no apparent reason.
    > e.g. a message to a single recipient every few weeks.
    > I can't be bothered dealing with their Customer Care.
    > Can anyone recommend a better email host?
    >
    > This is the message I get:
    > Your message was not sent
    >
    > Your account has been temporarily blocked from sending messages. This
    > block can be caused by sending messages that trigger our spam filters,
    > or by having too many recipients in one email. We encourage you to
    > review the contents and recipient list of your message, and try
    > sending it at after an hour or two. Doing so will usually resolve the
    > matter.
    > If you are still unable to send messages after a 24-hour period,
    > please read our FAQ for more information and to request Customer Care
    > assistance.
    >
    > We apologise for the inconvenience.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > The Yahoo!Xtra Mail Team

    The reason seems *somewhat* apparent... what sort of message are you
    sending? - does it have multiple recipients (more than 50?). Or perhaps
    it is due to the content?

    More info please.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Mar 23, 2011
  4. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On Mar 23, 4:42 pm, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > In article <a0b1d800-5b05-4f40-83f8-eadc2ab4ea92
    > @o15g2000prn.googlegroups.com>, , Matty F says...
    >

    > > Yahoo!Xtra are refusing to send emails for no apparent reason.
    > > e.g. a message to a single recipient every few weeks.
    > > I can't be bothered dealing with their Customer Care.
    > > Can anyone recommend a better email host?

    > > This is the message I get:
    > > Your message was not sent

    > > Your account has been temporarily blocked from sending messages. This
    > > block can be caused by sending messages that trigger our spam filters,
    > > or by having too many recipients in one email. We encourage you to
    > > review the contents and recipient list of your message, and try
    > > sending it at after an hour or two. Doing so will usually resolve the
    > > matter.
    > > If you are still unable to send messages after a 24-hour period,
    > > please read our FAQ for more information and to request Customer Care
    > > assistance.

    > > We apologise for the inconvenience.

    > > Thanks,

    > > The Yahoo!Xtra Mail Team

    > The reason seems *somewhat* apparent... what sort of message are you
    > sending? - does it have multiple recipients (more than 50?). Or perhaps
    > it is due to the content?
    >
    > More info please.

    As I said, it's to a single recipient. In response to a message from
    him asking whether I had received his message, I replied with the
    single word "Received". For that I get banned, and it's not the first
    time.
    You don't have to explain further, I'll just stop using Yahoo wherever
    possible, and recommend that others also avoid Yahoo.

    Matty F, Mar 23, 2011
  5. Matty F

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <7016651b-2fa3-499d-9e33-6b498768aa17@
    22g2000prx.googlegroups.com>, , Matty F says...

    > On Mar 23, 4:42 pm, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > > In article <a0b1d800-5b05-4f40-83f8-eadc2ab4ea92
    > > @o15g2000prn.googlegroups.com>, , Matty F says...
    > >

    > > > Yahoo!Xtra are refusing to send emails for no apparent reason.
    > > > e.g. a message to a single recipient every few weeks.
    > > > I can't be bothered dealing with their Customer Care.
    > > > Can anyone recommend a better email host?

    > > > This is the message I get:
    > > > Your message was not sent

    > > > Your account has been temporarily blocked from sending messages. This
    > > > block can be caused by sending messages that trigger our spam filters,
    > > > or by having too many recipients in one email. We encourage you to
    > > > review the contents and recipient list of your message, and try
    > > > sending it at after an hour or two. Doing so will usually resolve the
    > > > matter.
    > > > If you are still unable to send messages after a 24-hour period,
    > > > please read our FAQ for more information and to request Customer Care
    > > > assistance.

    > > > We apologise for the inconvenience.

    > > > Thanks,

    > > > The Yahoo!Xtra Mail Team

    > > The reason seems *somewhat* apparent... what sort of message are you
    > > sending? - does it have multiple recipients (more than 50?). Or perhaps
    > > it is due to the content?
    > >
    > > More info please.

    > As I said, it's to a single recipient. In response to a message from
    > him asking whether I had received his message, I replied with the
    > single word "Received". For that I get banned, and it's not the first
    > time.
    > You don't have to explain further, I'll just stop using Yahoo wherever
    > possible, and recommend that others also avoid Yahoo.

    I agree - Yahoo/Xtra email is pretty awful. (Sorry, didn't spot the
    singl-recipient bit).

    re other server options, what about your own domain, and pay for and e-
    mail server service only, with it.

    Or, with your own domain, run your own server - a spare computer running
    Linux something (the s/w's free).

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Mar 23, 2011
  6. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On Mar 23, 7:12 pm, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > In article <7016651b-2fa3-499d-9e33-6b498768aa17@
    > 22g2000prx.googlegroups.com>, , Matty F says...
    >

    > > On Mar 23, 4:42 pm, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > > > In article <a0b1d800-5b05-4f40-83f8-eadc2ab4ea92
    > > > @o15g2000prn.googlegroups.com>, , Matty F says...

    > > > The reason seems *somewhat* apparent... what sort of message are you
    > > > sending? - does it have multiple recipients (more than 50?). Or perhaps
    > > > it is due to the content?

    > > > More info please.

    > > As I said, it's to a single recipient. In response to a message from
    > > him asking whether I had received his message, I replied with the
    > > single word "Received". For that I get banned, and it's not the first
    > > time.
    > > You don't have to explain further, I'll just stop using Yahoo wherever
    > > possible, and recommend that others also avoid Yahoo.

    > I agree - Yahoo/Xtra email is pretty awful. (Sorry, didn't spot the
    > singl-recipient bit).
    >
    > re other server options, what about your own domain, and pay for and e-
    > mail server service only, with it.
    >
    > Or, with your own domain, run your own server - a spare computer running
    > Linux something (the s/w's free).

    I don't do a lot of emails, which is why I am p*ss*d off that Yahoo
    rejected two of them. So I'm just punishing Yahoo because I know Yahoo
    management will be reading this. It's already reached page 1 on Google
    and is being copied into various forums, e.g. this one:
    http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t745555-yahoo-xtra-mail-delivery-problem.html

    I find it surprising that businesses who depend on the Internet have
    such poor service and poor technical help. Have they not learned that
    dissatisfied customers are people who will make their dissatisfaction
    known far and wide?
    P.S. I have moderated my language because Google wouldn't let me post
    what I really think about Yahoo.

    Hushmail.com and and www.mail.com have been suggested as good.
    I'll think about Gmail but I'd rather not.

    Matty F, Mar 23, 2011
  7. Matty F

    EMB Guest

    On 23/03/2011 8:12 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:

    > I agree - Yahoo/Xtra email is pretty awful. (Sorry, didn't spot the
    > singl-recipient bit).

    yahoo are the single most awful email provider going.

    > re other server options, what about your own domain, and pay for and e-
    > mail server service only, with it.
    >
    > Or, with your own domain, run your own server - a spare computer running
    > Linux something (the s/w's free).

    Your own domain with the free version of google apps is the simplest.
    No cost beyond domain registration, truckloads of storage, and it works
    well.

    EMB, Mar 23, 2011
  8. Matty F

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <imcb7c$9u6$>, , EMB
    says...

    > On 23/03/2011 8:12 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:
    >
    > > I agree - Yahoo/Xtra email is pretty awful. (Sorry, didn't spot the
    > > singl-recipient bit).

    > yahoo are the single most awful email provider going.
    >

    > > re other server options, what about your own domain, and pay for and e-
    > > mail server service only, with it.
    > >
    > > Or, with your own domain, run your own server - a spare computer running
    > > Linux something (the s/w's free).
    > >

    > Your own domain with the free version of google apps is the simplest.
    > No cost beyond domain registration, truckloads of storage, and it works
    > well.

    How do you mean truckloads of storage? How many terabytes?

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Mar 23, 2011
  9. Matty F

    Boots Guest

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 14:18:10 -0700, Matty F wrote:

    > Yahoo!Xtra are refusing to send emails for no apparent reason. e.g. a
    > message to a single recipient every few weeks. I can't be bothered
    > dealing with their Customer Care. Can anyone recommend a better email
    > host?
    >
    > This is the message I get:
    > ---------------------------------------------------------------- Your
    > message was not sent
    >
    > Your account has been temporarily blocked from sending messages. This
    > block can be caused by sending messages that trigger our spam filters,
    > or by having too many recipients in one email. We encourage you to
    > review the contents and recipient list of your message, and try sending
    > it at after an hour or two. Doing so will usually resolve the matter.
    > If you are still unable to send messages after a 24-hour period, please
    > read our FAQ for more information and to request Customer Care
    > assistance.
    >
    > We apologise for the inconvenience.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > The Yahoo!Xtra Mail Team

    Do you have some sort of malware on your computer that is spewing out
    spam?

    Boots, Mar 23, 2011
  10. Matty F

    Boots Guest

    On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 20:12:33 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:

    > Or, with your own domain, run your own server - a spare computer running
    > Linux something (the s/w's free).

    That won't work with Xtra. IIRC Telecom/Gen-I/Xtra blocks emails being
    sent anywhere other than to their own email servers. :(

    Boots, Mar 23, 2011
  11. Matty F

    EMB Guest

    On 23/03/2011 10:09 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:

    > How do you mean truckloads of storage? How many terabytes?

    For a single mail user the 50GB or so they offer is truckloads.

    EMB, Mar 23, 2011
  12. Matty F

    EMB Guest

    On 23/03/2011 10:15 p.m., Boots wrote:
    > On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 20:12:33 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:
    >
    >> Or, with your own domain, run your own server - a spare computer running
    >> Linux something (the s/w's free).

    > That won't work with Xtra. IIRC Telecom/Gen-I/Xtra blocks emails being
    > sent anywhere other than to their own email servers. :(

    Not if you ask nicely, or have a static IP

    EMB, Mar 23, 2011
  13. Matty F

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <imcf9c$jdp$>, , EMB
    says...

    > On 23/03/2011 10:15 p.m., Boots wrote:
    > > On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 20:12:33 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:
    > >
    > >> Or, with your own domain, run your own server - a spare computer running
    > >> Linux something (the s/w's free).

    > > That won't work with Xtra. IIRC Telecom/Gen-I/Xtra blocks emails being
    > > sent anywhere other than to their own email servers. :(

    > Not if you ask nicely, or have a static IP

    You don't even have to ask nicely if you have a dynamic IP - I've used
    this form for several folk running their own server...

    https://www.telecom.co.nz/form/1,6849,5664,00.html?
    StreamID=&StreamName=&source_stream=

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Mar 23, 2011
  14. Matty F

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    , Dave Doe says...

    > In article <imcf9c$jdp$>, , EMB
    > says...

    > > > That won't work with Xtra. IIRC Telecom/Gen-I/Xtra blocks emails being
    > > > sent anywhere other than to their own email servers. :(

    > > Not if you ask nicely, or have a static IP

    > You don't even have to ask nicely if you have a dynamic IP - I've used
    > this form for several folk running their own server...
    >
    > https://www.telecom.co.nz/form/1,6849,5664,00.html?
    > StreamID=&StreamName=&source_stream=

    Or use another port of course.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Mar 23, 2011
  15. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On Mar 23, 9:13 pm, Boots <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 14:18:10 -0700, Matty F wrote:
    > > Yahoo!Xtra are refusing to send emails for no apparent reason. e.g. a
    > > message to a single recipient every few weeks. I can't be bothered
    > > dealing with their Customer Care. Can anyone recommend a better email
    > > host?

    > > This is the message I get:
    > > ---------------------------------------------------------------- Your
    > > message was not sent

    > > Your account has been temporarily blocked from sending messages. This
    > > block can be caused by sending messages that trigger our spam filters,
    > > or by having too many recipients in one email. We encourage you to
    > > review the contents and recipient list of your message, and try sending
    > > it at after an hour or two. Doing so will usually resolve the matter.
    > > If you are still unable to send messages after a 24-hour period, please
    > > read our FAQ for more information and to request Customer Care
    > > assistance.

    > > We apologise for the inconvenience.

    > > Thanks,

    > > The Yahoo!Xtra Mail Team

    > Do you have some sort of malware on your computer that is spewing out
    > spam?

    No, Yahoo just don't like the domain name of the person I was sending
    to. That's none of their business.

    Matty F, Mar 23, 2011
  16. Matty F

    Richard Guest

    On 23/03/2011 10:57 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article<-september.org>,
    > , Dave Doe says...
    >>
    >> In article<imcf9c$jdp$>, , EMB
    >> says...

    >>> Not if you ask nicely, or have a static IP

    >> You don't even have to ask nicely if you have a dynamic IP - I've used
    >> this form for several folk running their own server...
    >>
    >> https://www.telecom.co.nz/form/1,6849,5664,00.html?
    >> StreamID=&StreamName=&source_stream=

    > Or use another port of course.

    except that everyone listens on port 25 so you cant really.

    besides, if its a dynamic IP it will be in the PBL so anyone sane will
    not accept connections from it regardless.

    Richard, Mar 23, 2011
  17. Matty F

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <imcidd$llq$>, , Richard
    says...

    > On 23/03/2011 10:57 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:
    > > In article<-september.org>,
    > > , Dave Doe says...
    > >>
    > >> In article<imcf9c$jdp$>, , EMB
    > >> says...

    > >> You don't even have to ask nicely if you have a dynamic IP - I've used
    > >> this form for several folk running their own server...
    > >>
    > >> https://www.telecom.co.nz/form/1,6849,5664,00.html?
    > >> StreamID=&StreamName=&source_stream=

    > > Or use another port of course.

    > except that everyone listens on port 25 so you cant really.

    Sorry, been away - in short no, this is *your* server (or even
    Telecom's), you use the port you're told to. Other servers are
    irrelevant to "you".

    eg's - Xtra use SSL port 465. 587 is another port that is sometimes
    used as a substitute for 25 (one I've used before when the client's ISP
    has been blocking ("filtering") 25 - eg Xtra). It works just fine.

    > besides, if its a dynamic IP it will be in the PBL so anyone sane will
    > not accept connections from it regardless.

    Irrelevant to this also.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Apr 26, 2011