Yahoo 'Web Beacons' Spy On And Track Yahoo Users!

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Tommy, May 15, 2005.

  1. Tommy

    Tommy Guest

    Yahoo 'Web Beacons' Spy On And Track Yahoo Users!

    5-15-5

    Yahoo tracks all of its users everywhere on the web and the way to opt-out
    is detailed below. If you have a Yahoo e-mail account or belong to one of
    Yahoo's many Yahoo groups, this probably applies to you. Yahoo has probably
    been tracking everything you do online. Follow the instructions precisely
    to opt out of this. Notice the important part at the very end.

    "Yahoo is now using something called 'Web Beacons' to track Yahoo Group
    users around the net and see what you're doing and where you are going
    similar to cookies. Yahoo is recording every website and every group you
    visit.

    Take a look at their updated privacy statement:

    http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy

    About half-way down the page, in the section on cookies, you will see a link
    that says web beacons. Click on the phrase web beacons.

    http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy/us/beacons/details.html

    That will bring you to a paragraph entitled "Outside the Yahoo Network."

    In this section you'll see a little "click here to opt out" link that will
    let you "opt-out" of their new method of snooping.

    Once you have clicked that link, you are exempted. Notice the "Success"
    message on the top of the next page. Be careful because on that page there
    is a "Cancel Opt-out" button that, if clicked, will **undo** the opt-out.
    So don't reflexively click that button, or you will undo the opt-out ! Feel
    free to forward this to other groups."

    Tommy, May 15, 2005

  2. Tommy

    Roger Guest

    In one age, called the Second Age by some,
    (an Age yet to come, an Age long past)
    someone claiming to be Tommy wrote
    in message <3067642.nTSIEsN9WP@FreeBSD>:

    >Yahoo 'Web Beacons' Spy On And Track Yahoo Users!
    >
    >5-15-5
    >
    >Yahoo tracks all of its users everywhere on the web and the way to opt-out
    >is detailed below.

    Wrong -- the pager you cite very clearly says "Yahoo! uses web beacons
    to conduct research on behalf of certain partners on THEIR web sites"
    <emphasis mine.>

    Still having problems reading for comprehension, huh?

    Is this how Nizkor determines your personal IP address? LOL

    When *are* you going to get back to your lies about hate crimes, their
    publication and forgery?

    Roger, May 15, 2005

  3. Tommy

    in message <4150751.LQVkQvgiyy@FreeBSD>:

    >>>No, that's what you did write.. Denial isn't a river Roger.

    >> LOL -- your URL points to a forgery, and *I'm* the one in denial?

    >Its not a forgery, check the header of the post.

    Why do you keep removing the original groups from this?

    Check the message it claims to be quoting.

    One notes that if one walks back up the thread, the actual message
    which zie "quotes" as containing this phrase doesn't say anything
    about Dallas or crime or anything:

    The message your URL points to is
    1114562298.11d33c8f2bbecd2dd04­ca889d4c16bf9@bubbanews
    , which was in response to 9egt6190kj80fm9sp4d11tikhdok52­
    But the reference there is quoted, too -- let's back up a couple
    ("jack's" message
    1114536848.f6c8b4d63148117aff6­32d0af90e4173@bubbanews appears to
    directly quote it, and says that On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 13:05:30 GMT, I
    wrote the statement. Of course, "jack" later dropped that part of the
    forgery, making it even harder to locate this "quote," but we'll let
    that go for a moment.)

    So, let's search on that date for the phrase "such as Dallas"
    (actually a subset of the search I've already posted) which would be:
    http://groups-beta.google.com/­group/alt.revisionism/browse_f­rm/thread...
    and looky there: the one and only hit is "jack."

    But let's see what he was responding to, since this *seems* to be a
    normal citation by a news reader. That would be message
    oa326118cl0nsiibc8g2rrmiq37s10­, which reads in its
    entirety:

    <include>

    In one age, called the Second Age by some,
    (an Age yet
    to come, an Age long past)
    someone claiming to be Way Back Jack wrote
    in message
    <­ting.com>:

    >On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 21:52:08 -0400, "Patrick Keenan" <>
    >wrote:

    >>"Way The **** Back Jack" <I'> wrote in message

    >>> And how did blacks treat their wimmen folk, Butch?

    >>Depends on the culture in question.

    >>Were you trying to make a point?

    >Actually, whigger, I was asking a question.
    >
    >And still haven't gotten an answer.

    Yes, you did -- it just wasn't the one you wanted.

    Here is the answer again: "Depends on the culture in question."

    Now, was there a point you wanted to make?

    Or are you just going to start forging again?

    </include>

    Where is the phrase that you and "jack" claim I wrote in that message?

    Now, this has been pointed out to you in the past, so one might wonder
    why you continue to post it as if is were something *I* had posted --
    if one were not already aware of the fundamental dishonesty of the
    brat and zir buddies over in alt.non.racism.

    Now, back to the topics of *this* thread: why did you claim that
    Yahoo "tracks all of its users everywhere on the web?"

    Where are the rest of those 1232 hate crime hoaxes (keeping in mind
    that producing them *still* does not support your lie that *most* hate
    crimes are faked?)

    Where is even the *start* of support for your lie that all
    white-committed hate crimes are nationally televised?

    *Then* we can get to the rest of your lies: about the FBI, Nizkor,
    the Holocaust, the Moon landings, etc...

    Roger, May 15, 2005
  4. On Sun, 15 May 2005 22:32:48 GMT, Roger <roger@.> wrote:

> [...]

    > </include>
    >
    >Where is the phrase that you and "jack" claim I wrote in that message?
    >
    >Now, this has been pointed out to you in the past, so one might wonder
    >why you continue to post it as if is were something *I* had posted --
    >if one were not already aware of the fundamental dishonesty of the
    >brat and zir buddies over in alt.non.racism.
    >
    >Now, back to the topics of *this* thread: why did you claim that
    >Yahoo "tracks all of its users everywhere on the web?"
    >
    >Where are the rest of those 1232 hate crime hoaxes (keeping in mind
    >that producing them *still* does not support your lie that *most* hate
    >crimes are faked?)
    >
    >Where is even the *start* of support for your lie that all
    >white-committed hate crimes are nationally televised?
    >
    >*Then* we can get to the rest of your lies: about the FBI, Nizkor,
    >the Holocaust, the Moon landings, etc...

    Identify for us lots of cities to justify these incredible assertions:
    ________

    http://tinyurl.com/bqydt

    "There are lots of cities where the black population is low but crime
    is high such as Dallas and lots of cities where black population is
    high but crime is low." -- Roger

    _______

    The next response suggests that Roger was willing to try to support
    his ridiculous assertion:
    _______
    >http://tinyurl.com/datc8
    >" First, define both "large percentage" and "low crime," and justify
    > both." -- Roger

    __________
    Use the same criteria and range of rates that were used in these
    lists, but showing the opposite trend:

    Safest Cities (75,000 or more) per
    http://advertisers.americancityandcounty.com/ar/government_amherst_ny_tops/

    1. Amherst, N.Y 3.9%
    http://www.epodunk.com/cgi-bin/popInfo.php?locIndex=91

    2. Newton, Mass. 2.0%
    http://www.city-data.com/city/Newton-Massachusetts.html

    3. Mission Viejo, Calif. 1.1%
    http://www.city-data.com/city/Mission-Viejo-California.html

    4. Cary, N.C. 6.1%
    http://www.city-data.com/city/Cary-North-Carolina.html

    5. Brick Township, N.J. (Less than 1% as computed by dividing 75,325
    population into 751 blacks)
    http://www.co.ocean.nj.us/planning/databook/09RACE2000.htm

    6. Simi Valley, Calif. 1.3%
    http://www.city-data.com/city/Simi-Valley-California.html

    7. Sunnyvale, Calif. 2.2%
    http://www.city-data.com/city/Sunnyvale-California.html

    8. Colonie, N.Y. 3.5%
    http://www.city-data.com/city/Colonie-New-York.html

    9. Sterling Heights, Mich. 1.3%
    http://www.city-data.com/city/Sterling-Heights-Michigan.html

    10. Clarkstown, N.Y 7.9%
    http://www.epodunk.com/cgi-bin/popInfo.php?locIndex=409
    ____________________

    Most Dangerous Cities (75,000 or more) per
    http://advertisers.americancityandcounty.com/ar/government_amherst_ny_tops/

    1. Detroit 81.6%
    http://www.city-data.com/city/Detroit-Michigan.html

    2. Atlanta 61.4%
    http://www.city-data.com/city/Atlanta-Georgia.html

    3. St. Louis 51.2%
    http://www.city-data.com/city/St.-Louis-Missouri.html

    4. Baltimore 64.3%
    http://www.city-data.com/city/Baltimore-Maryland.html

    5. Gary, Ind. 84.0%
    http://www.city-data.com/city/Gary-Indiana.html

    6. Camden, N.J. 53.3%
    http://www.city-data.com/city/Camden-New-Jersey.html

    7. Tampa 26.1%
    http://www.city-data.com/city/Tampa-Florida.html

    8. West Palm Beach, Fla. 32.2%
    http://www.city-data.com/city/West-Palm-Beach-Florida.html

    9. Compton, Calif. 40.3% (White non-Hispanic 1.0%)
    http://www.city-data.com/city/Compton-California.html

    10. Memphis, Tenn. 61.4%
    http://www.city-data.com/city/Memphis-Tennessee.html
    _______

    But in the end, Roger ran away and denied ever having made the
    ridiculous claim above.

    Way Back Jack, May 16, 2005
  5. Tommy

    <1116204186.d1ba1cca23d4169200b1bf61e129df93@bubbanews>:

    >>>Its not a forgery, check the header of the post.

    >>Why do you keep removing the original groups from this?
    >>
    >>Check the message it claims to be quoting.
    >>
    >>One notes that if one walks back up the thread, the actual message
    >>which zie "quotes" as containing this phrase doesn't say anything
    >>about Dallas or crime or anything:
    >>
    >>The message your URL points to is
    >>1114562298.11d33c8f2bbecd2dd04­ca889d4c16bf9@bubbanews
    >>, which was in response to 9egt6190kj80fm9sp4d11tikhdok52­
    >>But the reference there is quoted, too -- let's back up a couple
    >>("jack's" message
    >>1114536848.f6c8b4d63148117aff6­32d0af90e4173@bubbanews appears to
    >>directly quote it, and says that On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 13:05:30 GMT, I
    >>wrote the statement. Of course, "jack" later dropped that part of the
    >>forgery, making it even harder to locate this "quote," but we'll let
    >>that go for a moment.)
    >>
    >>So, let's search on that date for the phrase "such as Dallas"
    >>(actually a subset of the search I've already posted) which would be:
    >>http://groups-beta.google.com/­group/alt.revisionism/browse_f­rm/thread...
    >>and looky there: the one and only hit is "jack."
    >>
    >>But let's see what he was responding to, since this *seems* to be a
    >>normal citation by a news reader. That would be message
    >>oa326118cl0nsiibc8g2rrmiq37s10­, which reads in its
    >>entirety:
    >>
    >> <include>
    >>
    >>In one age, called the Second Age by some,
    >> (an Age yet
    >> to come, an Age long past)
    >> someone claiming to be Way Back Jack wrote
    >> in message
    >> <­ting.com>:

    >>>Actually, whigger, I was asking a question.
    >>>
    >>>And still haven't gotten an answer.

    >>Yes, you did -- it just wasn't the one you wanted.
    >>
    >>Here is the answer again: "Depends on the culture in question."
    >>
    >>Now, was there a point you wanted to make?
    >>
    >>Or are you just going to start forging again?
    >>
    >> </include>
    >>
    >>Where is the phrase that you and "jack" claim I wrote in that message?
    >>
    >>Now, this has been pointed out to you in the past, so one might wonder
    >>why you continue to post it as if is were something *I* had posted --
    >>if one were not already aware of the fundamental dishonesty of the
    >>brat and zir buddies over in alt.non.racism.
    >>
    >>Now, back to the topics of *this* thread: why did you claim that
    >>Yahoo "tracks all of its users everywhere on the web?"
    >>
    >>Where are the rest of those 1232 hate crime hoaxes (keeping in mind
    >>that producing them *still* does not support your lie that *most* hate
    >>crimes are faked?)
    >>
    >>Where is even the *start* of support for your lie that all
    >>white-committed hate crimes are nationally televised?
    >>
    >>*Then* we can get to the rest of your lies: about the FBI, Nizkor,
    >>the Holocaust, the Moon landings, etc...

    >Identify for us lots of cities to justify these incredible assertions:

    Identify for us the author of the message you point to, then explain
    why you made up the quote you "quote" in it.

    Roger, May 16, 2005
  6. Roger wrote:

> [...]

    >>>if one were not already aware of the fundamental dishonesty of the
    >>>brat and zir buddies over in alt.non.racism.
    >>>
    >>>Now, back to the topics of *this* thread: why did you claim that
    >>>Yahoo "tracks all of its users everywhere on the web?"
    >>>
    >>>Where are the rest of those 1232 hate crime hoaxes (keeping in mind
    >>>that producing them *still* does not support your lie that *most* hate
    >>>crimes are faked?)
    >>>
    >>>Where is even the *start* of support for your lie that all
    >>>white-committed hate crimes are nationally televised?
    >>>
    >>>*Then* we can get to the rest of your lies: about the FBI, Nizkor,
    >>>the Holocaust, the Moon landings, etc...

    >>Identify for us lots of cities to justify these incredible assertions:

    > Identify for us the author of the message you point to, then explain
    > why you made up the quote you "quote" in it.

    Nothing for nothing but, what the hell does this have with the original
    post?

    Michael
    --
    "Trusted Computing" is a SCAM
    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/can-you-trust.html

    Protect your rights
    http://www.eff.org/Infrastructure/trusted_computing/20031001_tc.php
    http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html

    Michael Pelletier, May 16, 2005
  7. Tommy

    Solbu Guest

    Solbu, May 17, 2005
  8. Tommy

    Roger Guest

    In one age, called the Second Age by some,
    (an Age yet to come, an Age long past)
    someone claiming to be Solbu wrote
    in message <hacie.10285$>:

    >Right.
    >Just finished reading the page.
    >I run a yahoo group, and I will start moving the group onto another server.
    >
    >Most likely a server with mailman.

    Because ... ?

    Or did you comprehend it as poorly as the idiot child did?

    Roger, May 17, 2005
  9. Tommy

    Solbu Guest

    Solbu, May 17, 2005
  10. Tommy

    Jon Guest

    Solbu wrote:

    > Because it was the last drop. I have been
    > thinking of switching for the last year.
    > This was the push that got me going.

    > Besides in yahoo groups I can not convert From
    > html To text format. I seriously consider HTML
    > mail as a security risk. In mailman I can force
    > the removal of HTML content.

    > THAT is a large contributor in my decision.

    > Yes, I know there are ways to protect myself from
    > HTML mails. But most of the listmembers do not
    > know that there IS a risk in the first place.
    > Let alone how to protect them selves.

    I started getting spammed immediately after signing up for Yahoo
    groups. They don't take any precautions that I know of.

    Jon

    Jon, May 17, 2005