    Or is it just some scheme to send their own adverts to people who might be
    interested?

    (Don't the Americans read all our emails anyway?)
    geopelia, Jun 4, 2013

  2. geopelia

    Malcolm Guest

    On Tue 04 Jun 2013 03:23:13 PM CDT, geopelia wrote:

    >(Don't the Americans read all our emails anyway?)

    Hi
    I'm in Mississippi and reading this...does that count....

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) Kernel 3.7.10-1.11-desktop
    Malcolm, Jun 4, 2013

  3. geopelia

    peterwn Guest

    On Jun 4, 3:23 pm, "geopelia" <> wrote:
    > I see Yahoo is going to be scanning email for adverts.
    > Does Yahoo have its own email?

    Yahoo has had a web-based email system even longer than Google. Google
    already scan gmail emails electronically and place 'context' ads on
    the right hand side. It is a fully automatic process so it is not as
    if some human is reading your mail.

    > Will this include yahoo xtra emails? I use xtra, which I think is some sort
    > of Yahoo.

    I do not think so but I could be wrong. Whether it carries context
    sensitive ads would be a matter between Telecom and Yahoo. Telecom
    certainly would not want Vodafone ads appearing on xtra-yahoo.

    > Is this the same as a spam check, or will they look at the emails
    > themselves, such as emails from Countdown or the Warehouse?
    > I need the Countdown weekly emails for ordering, and they send me
    > confirmations of orders etc.

    The scanning for ad placement would be similar to spam checking.
    Possibly, detection of Countdown emails could lead to New World ads,
    similarly Kmart ads for Warehouse emails.

    International communications have alrays been regarded as 'fair game'
    for eavesdropping. Again, the likes of CIA, KGB's successor, etc would
    use automated keyword detecting methods for finding suspicious emails.

    The chances of a human actually reading an ordinary person's emails is
    extremely remote. One the other hand one has to watch these little old
    ladies - they can get up to all sorts of mischief (just kidding!).
    peterwn, Jun 4, 2013
  4. geopelia

    Rich80105 Guest

    On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 17:08:03 +1200, george152 <> wrote:

    >On 04/06/13 15:23, geopelia wrote:
    >
    >> (Don't the Americans read all our emails anyway?)
    >>

    >I rather doubt that.
    >Just imagine how many people it would take (and how long) to check the
    >email output for a single day.
    >It's paranoia to think we're worth all the effort it would take
    >they're not out to get us :)

    They are able to store as much as they like, and have sophisticated
    programmes to identify words or phrases of interest. and can follow
    material initiated by some individuals. Usenet is public anyway - and
    yes there are some in America that are likely to follow nz.general.
    Rich80105, Jun 4, 2013
  5. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Malcolm" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue 04 Jun 2013 03:23:13 PM CDT, geopelia wrote:
    >

    >>(Don't the Americans read all our emails anyway?)
    >>

    > Hi
    > I'm in Mississippi and reading this...does that count....

    How's the weather? I hope there are no tornadoes around your way.

    But it's the American government that is supposed to be reading all the
    emails.
    geopelia, Jun 4, 2013
  6. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "peterwn" <> wrote in message
    On Jun 4, 3:23 pm, "geopelia" <> wrote:
    > I see Yahoo is going to be scanning email for adverts.
    > Does Yahoo have its own email?

    Yahoo has had a web-based email system even longer than Google. Google
    already scan gmail emails electronically and place 'context' ads on
    the right hand side. It is a fully automatic process so it is not as
    if some human is reading your mail.

    > Will this include yahoo xtra emails? I use xtra, which I think is some
    > sort
    > of Yahoo.

    I do not think so but I could be wrong. Whether it carries context
    sensitive ads would be a matter between Telecom and Yahoo. Telecom
    certainly would not want Vodafone ads appearing on xtra-yahoo.

    > Is this the same as a spam check, or will they look at the emails
    > themselves, such as emails from Countdown or the Warehouse?
    > I need the Countdown weekly emails for ordering, and they send me
    > confirmations of orders etc.

    The scanning for ad placement would be similar to spam checking.
    Possibly, detection of Countdown emails could lead to New World ads,
    similarly Kmart ads for Warehouse emails.

    International communications have alrays been regarded as 'fair game'
    for eavesdropping. Again, the likes of CIA, KGB's successor, etc would
    use automated keyword detecting methods for finding suspicious emails.

    The chances of a human actually reading an ordinary person's emails is
    extremely remote. One the other hand one has to watch these little old
    ladies - they can get up to all sorts of mischief (just kidding!).

    Too right! But what about big old ladies?

    Facebook already has a lot of ads down the right hand side.
    But if you magnify it up to 150 you lose them.
    I use 125 for ease of reading.

    I often talk about guns and bombs. I bet somebody has got their beady eye on
    me!
    But it's all ancient history to kids today.
    geopelia, Jun 4, 2013
  7. geopelia

    Pooh Guest

    "Rich80105" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 17:08:03 +1200, george152 <> wrote:
    >
    >>On 04/06/13 15:23, geopelia wrote:
    >>
    >>> (Don't the Americans read all our emails anyway?)
    >>>

    >>I rather doubt that.
    >>Just imagine how many people it would take (and how long) to check the
    >>email output for a single day.
    >>It's paranoia to think we're worth all the effort it would take
    >>they're not out to get us :)

    > They are able to store as much as they like, and have sophisticated
    > programmes to identify words or phrases of interest. and can follow
    > material initiated by some individuals. Usenet is public anyway - and
    > yes there are some in America that are likely to follow nz.general.

    Storing isn't reading Dickie. As you say they can check for phrases and
    words. By all accounts one to avoid is Echelon and there used ti be a long
    list that people were encoursged to use as much as possible to jam up the
    system.

    Pooh
    Pooh, Jun 4, 2013
  8. geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    On 2013-06-04, Allistar <> wrote:
    > geopelia wrote:
    >

    >> "Malcolm" <> wrote in message

    >>> Hi
    >>> I'm in Mississippi and reading this...does that count....
    >>>

    >> How's the weather? I hope there are no tornadoes around your way.
    >>
    >> But it's the American government that is supposed to be reading all the
    >> emails.

    > If an mail is from NZ to NZ then it's unlikely the data leaves our shores.

    Ah, so google has some servers in NZ for all that gmail stuff?
    Gordon, Jun 5, 2013
  9. geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    On 05/06/13 17:23, Gordon wrote:
    > On 2013-06-04, Allistar <> wrote:
    >> geopelia wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Malcolm" <> wrote in message

    >>> How's the weather? I hope there are no tornadoes around your way.
    >>>
    >>> But it's the American government that is supposed to be reading all the
    >>> emails.

    >> If an mail is from NZ to NZ then it's unlikely the data leaves our shores.

    > Ah, so google has some servers in NZ for all that gmail stuff?

    If I ping www.google.co.nz it returns port-60-234-121-35.orcon.net.nz.
    (This doesn't mean that it is actually an Orcon server of course).

    Ping gmail.com and you get syd01s12-in-f21.1e100.net. (syd = Sydney?).
    Again that doesn't mean that the server is in Sydney.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Jun 5, 2013
  10. geopelia

    Pooh Guest

    "george152" <> wrote in message
    > On 05/06/13 01:44, Pooh wrote:
    >> "Rich80105" <> wrote in message

    >>> They are able to store as much as they like, and have sophisticated
    >>> programmes to identify words or phrases of interest. and can follow
    >>> material initiated by some individuals. Usenet is public anyway - and
    >>> yes there are some in America that are likely to follow nz.general.

    >> Storing isn't reading Dickie. As you say they can check for phrases and
    >> words. By all accounts one to avoid is Echelon and there used ti be a
    >> long
    >> list that people were encoursged to use as much as possible to jam up the
    >> system.
    >>

    > There used to be such a list that some people used as their sig :)
    >
    > Most monitoring would be done by message origin

    Nah. Was more fun sending emails to friends using as many words as possible.
    Especially when the emails were going to people in Defence and Police. Never
    got a rise which was a bit disappointing :)

    Pooh
    Pooh, Jun 5, 2013
  11. geopelia

    Seagull Guest

    "geopelia" wrote in message news:kojm9s$2jo$...

    I see Yahoo is going to be scanning email for adverts.
    Does Yahoo have its own email?

    Will this include yahoo xtra emails? I use xtra, which I think is some sort
    of Yahoo.

    Is this the same as a spam check, or will they look at the emails
    themselves, such as emails from Countdown or the Warehouse?
    I need the Countdown weekly emails for ordering, and they send me
    confirmations of orders etc.

    Or is it just some scheme to send their own adverts to people who might be
    interested?

    Details here:
    http://dottech.org/111191/yahoo-shu...-new-mail-version-which-scans-emails-for-ads/

    Note you CAN opt out.
    Seagull, Jun 5, 2013
  12. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Seagull" <seagull117@invalid_gmail.com> wrote in message

    > "geopelia" wrote in message news:kojm9s$2jo$...
    >
    > I see Yahoo is going to be scanning email for adverts.
    > Does Yahoo have its own email?
    >
    > Will this include yahoo xtra emails? I use xtra, which I think is some
    > sort
    > of Yahoo.
    >
    > Is this the same as a spam check, or will they look at the emails
    > themselves, such as emails from Countdown or the Warehouse?
    > I need the Countdown weekly emails for ordering, and they send me
    > confirmations of orders etc.
    >
    > Or is it just some scheme to send their own adverts to people who might be
    > interested?
    >
    > Details here:
    > http://dottech.org/111191/yahoo-shu...-new-mail-version-which-scans-emails-for-ads/
    >
    > Note you CAN opt out.

    I don't use Yahoo itself, but I think xtra has some connection. I haven't
    heard anything from xtra though.
    geopelia, Jun 5, 2013
  13. geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <konbe4$g11$>, , geopelia
    says...

    > "Seagull" <seagull117@invalid_gmail.com> wrote in message
    > >

    > > "geopelia" wrote in message news:kojm9s$2jo$...
    > >
    > > I see Yahoo is going to be scanning email for adverts.
    > > Does Yahoo have its own email?
    > >
    > > Will this include yahoo xtra emails? I use xtra, which I think is some
    > > sort
    > > of Yahoo.
    > >
    > > Is this the same as a spam check, or will they look at the emails
    > > themselves, such as emails from Countdown or the Warehouse?
    > > I need the Countdown weekly emails for ordering, and they send me
    > > confirmations of orders etc.
    > >
    > > Or is it just some scheme to send their own adverts to people who might be
    > > interested?
    > >
    > > Details here:
    > > http://dottech.org/111191/yahoo-shu...-new-mail-version-which-scans-emails-for-ads/
    > >
    > > Note you CAN opt out.
    > >

    > I don't use Yahoo itself, but I think xtra has some connection. I haven't
    > heard anything from xtra though.

    You *do* use Yahoo - you're using Xtra for your e-mail, and they don't
    host it themeselves anymore, they outsource it to Yahoo. So your e-mail
    is on Yahoo's servers.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Jun 5, 2013
  14. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <konbe4$g11$>, , geopelia
    > says...
    >>
    >> "Seagull" <seagull117@invalid_gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> >

    >> > "geopelia" wrote in message news:kojm9s$2jo$...
    >> >
    >> > I see Yahoo is going to be scanning email for adverts.
    >> > Does Yahoo have its own email?
    >> >
    >> > Will this include yahoo xtra emails? I use xtra, which I think is some
    >> > sort
    >> > of Yahoo.
    >> >
    >> > Is this the same as a spam check, or will they look at the emails
    >> > themselves, such as emails from Countdown or the Warehouse?
    >> > I need the Countdown weekly emails for ordering, and they send me
    >> > confirmations of orders etc.
    >> >
    >> > Or is it just some scheme to send their own adverts to people who might
    >> > be
    >> > interested?
    >> >
    >> > Details here:
    >> > http://dottech.org/111191/yahoo-shu...-new-mail-version-which-scans-emails-for-ads/
    >> >
    >> > Note you CAN opt out.
    >> >

    >> I don't use Yahoo itself, but I think xtra has some connection. I haven't
    >> heard anything from xtra though.

    > You *do* use Yahoo - you're using Xtra for your e-mail, and they don't
    > host it themeselves anymore, they outsource it to Yahoo. So your e-mail
    > is on Yahoo's servers.

    That doesn't worry me.
    I'm amazed how many of my old newsgroup messages have ended up on Google.
    geopelia, Jun 5, 2013
  15. In article <kon9hf$9gf$>, "Seagull" <seagull117@invalid_gmail.com> wrote:
    >"geopelia" wrote in message news:kojm9s$2jo$...
    >I see Yahoo is going to be scanning email for adverts.
    >Does Yahoo have its own email?
    >Will this include yahoo xtra emails? I use xtra, which I think is some sort
    >of Yahoo.
    >Is this the same as a spam check, or will they look at the emails
    >themselves, such as emails from Countdown or the Warehouse?
    >I need the Countdown weekly emails for ordering, and they send me
    >confirmations of orders etc.
    >Or is it just some scheme to send their own adverts to people who might be
    >interested?

    >Details here:
    >http://dottech.org/111191/yahoo-shutting-down-mail-classic-forcing-users-to-swi
    >tch-to-new-mail-version-which-scans-emails-for-ads/
    >Note you CAN opt out.

    ... so SPAM by definition then. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Jun 6, 2013
  16. geopelia

    Pooh Guest

    "geoff" <> wrote in message

    > "Pooh" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "george152" <> wrote in message

    >> Nah. Was more fun sending emails to friends using as many words as
    >> possible. Especially when the emails were going to people in Defence and
    >> Police. Never got a rise which was a bit disappointing :)

    > Try sending emails with Ricin and bomb recipes, and see if you get any
    > interest !
    >
    > geoff

    No! The security services know to much about me as it is :)

    Pooh
    Pooh, Jun 6, 2013
  17. geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <koocre$li9$>, , geopelia
    says...

    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <konbe4$g11$>, , geopelia
    > > says...
    > >>
    > >> "Seagull" <seagull117@invalid_gmail.com> wrote in message

    > >> I don't use Yahoo itself, but I think xtra has some connection. I haven't
    > >> heard anything from xtra though.

    > > You *do* use Yahoo - you're using Xtra for your e-mail, and they don't
    > > host it themeselves anymore, they outsource it to Yahoo. So your e-mail
    > > is on Yahoo's servers.
    > >

    > That doesn't worry me.
    > I'm amazed how many of my old newsgroup messages have ended up on Google.

    They will be on *all* Usenet servers that carry the .nz groups.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Jun 6, 2013
  18. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    in message news:kook7j$pi4$...
    > In article <kon9hf$9gf$>, "Seagull"
    > <seagull117@invalid_gmail.com> wrote:
    >>"geopelia" wrote in message news:kojm9s$2jo$...
    >>I see Yahoo is going to be scanning email for adverts.
    >>Does Yahoo have its own email?
    >>Will this include yahoo xtra emails? I use xtra, which I think is some
    >>sort
    >>of Yahoo.
    >>Is this the same as a spam check, or will they look at the emails
    >>themselves, such as emails from Countdown or the Warehouse?
    >>I need the Countdown weekly emails for ordering, and they send me
    >>confirmations of orders etc.
    >>Or is it just some scheme to send their own adverts to people who might be
    >>interested?

    >>Details here:
    >>http://dottech.org/111191/yahoo-shutting-down-mail-classic-forcing-users-to-swi
    >>tch-to-new-mail-version-which-scans-emails-for-ads/
    >>Note you CAN opt out.

    > .. so SPAM by definition then. :)

    Can we still say which supermarket or garden centre we prefer?
    Or would that be considered spam?
    geopelia, Jun 6, 2013
  19. geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <kop8nl$t5r$>, , geopelia
    says...

    > "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    > in message news:kook7j$pi4$...
    > > In article <kon9hf$9gf$>, "Seagull"
    > > <seagull117@invalid_gmail.com> wrote:
    > >>"geopelia" wrote in message news:kojm9s$2jo$...
    > >>I see Yahoo is going to be scanning email for adverts.
    > >>Does Yahoo have its own email?
    > >>Will this include yahoo xtra emails? I use xtra, which I think is some
    > >>sort
    > >>of Yahoo.
    > >>Is this the same as a spam check, or will they look at the emails
    > >>themselves, such as emails from Countdown or the Warehouse?
    > >>I need the Countdown weekly emails for ordering, and they send me
    > >>confirmations of orders etc.
    > >>Or is it just some scheme to send their own adverts to people who might be
    > >>interested?

    > >>Details here:
    > >>http://dottech.org/111191/yahoo-shutting-down-mail-classic-forcing-users-to-swi
    > >>tch-to-new-mail-version-which-scans-emails-for-ads/
    > >>Note you CAN opt out.

    > > .. so SPAM by definition then. :)
    > >

    > Can we still say which supermarket or garden centre we prefer?
    > Or would that be considered spam?

    Do you get much spam?

    If not, opt out! :)

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Jun 6, 2013
  20. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <kop8nl$t5r$>, , geopelia
    > says...
    >>
    >> "Bruce Sinclair" <>
    >> wrote
    >> in message news:kook7j$pi4$...

    >> > .. so SPAM by definition then. :)
    >> >

    >> Can we still say which supermarket or garden centre we prefer?
    >> Or would that be considered spam?

    > Do you get much spam?
    >
    > If not, opt out! :)

    I get a reasonable amount. One firm wanted "my firm" to buy their sheet
    metal and heavy construction stuff.
    Looks good too, if I was in that line of work. How they got me is a mystery!
    And of course people want to give me millions of dollars.

    It isn't enough spam to worry me.
    geopelia, Jun 6, 2013