    unfair to kids or older people. And there's no way to get rid of
    them. I've heard that they go away after a few weeks, is that true?

    When you do get them, are they for every email or every so often?

    Richard Fangnail, Feb 24, 2010

  2. Richard Fangnail

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 24/02/2010 18:16, Richard Fangnail wrote:
    > There have been threads the past year about Yahoo Mail asking people
    > to enter Captchas (the twisted characters you enter for security) when
    > sending out emails. Apparently it's only for new users or people who
    > recently had suspicous activity.
    >
    > I've never been asked for one until just now. A week ago somebody
    > mailed out garbage to 5-10 people on my Contacts list so it looked
    > like I had sent them. I don't know how they did it. Today, Yahoo
    > said I had to change my password and gave me the captcha. I then sent
    > 2-3 emails and no captcha appeared.
    >
    > I hope the captchas don't appear - I hate those things, and they are
    > unfair to kids or older people.

    Why are they unfair?

    Desk Rabbit, Feb 24, 2010

  3. On Feb 24, 10:35 am, Desk Rabbit <> wrote:
    > On 24/02/2010 18:16, Richard Fangnail wrote:
    >
    > > There have been threads the past year about Yahoo Mail asking people
    > > to enter Captchas (the twisted characters you enter for security) when
    > > sending out emails.  Apparently it's only for new users or people who
    > > recently had suspicous activity.

    > > I've never been asked for one until just now.  A week ago somebody
    > > mailed out garbage to 5-10 people on my Contacts list so it looked
    > > like I had sent them.  I don't know how they did it.  Today, Yahoo
    > > said I had to change my password and gave me the captcha.  I then sent
    > > 2-3 emails and no captcha appeared.

    > > I hope the captchas don't appear - I hate those things, and they are
    > > unfair to kids or older people.

    > Why are they unfair?

    What I meant was that some people can't deal with the captchas due to
    handicaps or confusion.

    Richard Fangnail, Feb 24, 2010
  4. Richard Fangnail

    Rod Speed Guest

    Richard Fangnail wrote:
    > There have been threads the past year about Yahoo Mail asking people
    > to enter Captchas (the twisted characters you enter for security) when
    > sending out emails. Apparently it's only for new users or people who
    > recently had suspicous activity.
    >
    > I've never been asked for one until just now. A week ago somebody
    > mailed out garbage to 5-10 people on my Contacts list so it looked
    > like I had sent them. I don't know how they did it. Today, Yahoo
    > said I had to change my password and gave me the captcha. I then sent
    > 2-3 emails and no captcha appeared.
    >
    > I hope the captchas don't appear - I hate those things, and they are
    > unfair to kids or older people. And there's no way to get rid of
    > them. I've heard that they go away after a few weeks, is that true?
    >
    > When you do get them, are they for every email or every so often?

    Makes more sense to use gmail instead of yahoo mail. Handles spam much better too.

    Rod Speed, Feb 24, 2010
  5. Richard Fangnail

    John Holmes Guest

    Richard Fangnail "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > On Feb 24, 10:35 am, Desk Rabbit <> wrote:
    >> On 24/02/2010 18:16, Richard Fangnail wrote:
    >>
    >> > There have been threads the past year about Yahoo Mail asking people
    >> > to enter Captchas (the twisted characters you enter for security)

    when
    >> > sending out emails.  Apparently it's only for new users or people

    who
    >> > recently had suspicous activity.

    >> > I've never been asked for one until just now.  A week ago somebody
    >> > mailed out garbage to 5-10 people on my Contacts list so it looked
    >> > like I had sent them.  I don't know how they did it.  Today, Yahoo
    >> > said I had to change my password and gave me the captcha.  I then

    sen
    >> > 2-3 emails and no captcha appeared.

    >> > I hope the captchas don't appear - I hate those things, and they are
    >> > unfair to kids or older people.

    >> Why are they unfair?

    > What I meant was that some people can't deal with the captchas due to
    > handicaps or confusion.

    Like you, eh?

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Feb 24, 2010
  6. In message <>, John Holmes wrote:
    > Richard Fangnail "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > when

    > who

    > sen

    > >> Why are they unfair?

    > > What I meant was that some people can't deal with the captchas due to
    > > handicaps or confusion.

    > Like you, eh?

    THey should put them on car ignition systems.

    Word.

    Proof of Americas 3rd world status:
    http://www.ramusa.org/
    Cash for *who*?
    http://www.pavlovianobeisance.com/

    §ñühw¤£f, Feb 24, 2010
  7. Richard Fangnail

    NotMe Guest

    "Desk Rabbit" <> wrote in message
    > On 24/02/2010 18:16, Richard Fangnail wrote:
    >> There have been threads the past year about Yahoo Mail asking people
    >> to enter Captchas (the twisted characters you enter for security) when
    >> sending out emails. Apparently it's only for new users or people who
    >> recently had suspicous activity.
    >>
    >> I've never been asked for one until just now. A week ago somebody
    >> mailed out garbage to 5-10 people on my Contacts list so it looked
    >> like I had sent them. I don't know how they did it. Today, Yahoo
    >> said I had to change my password and gave me the captcha. I then sent
    >> 2-3 emails and no captcha appeared.
    >>
    >> I hope the captchas don't appear - I hate those things, and they are
    >> unfair to kids or older people.

    > Why are they unfair?

    Because some folk's vision/perception can't decipher the code. Audio
    alternative for the blind is a night mare. Those that are ADD/Dyslexic are
    screwed.

    Some providers give users 3-5 shots to enter the right code then lock out
    the user for 24 hours others required a CS troop to intervene.

    NotMe, Feb 24, 2010
  8. On Feb 24, 2:27 pm, (Gordon Burditt) wrote:

    > Beware of emails containing links that tell you to change your
    > password, especially if they don't contain your name.  You may have
    > just given your password away to the bad guys.  And when they use
    > your account to spam, expect a lot more captchas or a cancelled
    > account.  I suggest you go to Yahoo by typing in the address manually,
    > and change your password AGAIN.

    There wasn't an email from Yahoo. It was something that appeared on
    their page.

    Richard Fangnail, Feb 25, 2010
  9. Last time on misc.consumers, Richard Fangnail
    <> said:

    >There have been threads the past year about Yahoo Mail asking people
    >to enter Captchas (the twisted characters you enter for security) when
    >sending out emails. Apparently it's only for new users or people who
    >recently had suspicous activity.

    That's what they say, anyway.

    >I've never been asked for one until just now. A week ago somebody
    >mailed out garbage to 5-10 people on my Contacts list so it looked
    >like I had sent them. I don't know how they did it. Today, Yahoo
    >said I had to change my password and gave me the captcha.

    I can't tie the appearance of the crapchas to any such clear-cut
    event. The support droids are, of course, completely useless. Their
    explanation of why the crapchas appeared made no sense, and they are
    either unable or unwilling to clear the flag in my account record that
    causes the crapchas to be displayed.

    >I hope the captchas don't appear - I hate those things, and they are
    >unfair to kids or older people. And there's no way to get rid of
    >them. I've heard that they go away after a few weeks, is that true?

    They probably NEVER go away. It's been over a year, and Yahoo Mail is
    still asking for those goddamned crapchas. It's made that particular
    account virtually unusable.

    >When you do get them, are they for every email or every so often?

    EVERY. SINGLE. EMAIL.

    It's ironic that the "solution" to SPAM is more aggravating than the
    SPAM itself.

    Scott in SoCal, Feb 25, 2010
  10. Richard Fangnail

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 24/02/2010 18:40, Richard Fangnail wrote:
    > On Feb 24, 10:35 am, Desk Rabbit<> wrote:
    >> On 24/02/2010 18:16, Richard Fangnail wrote:
    >>
    >>> There have been threads the past year about Yahoo Mail asking people
    >>> to enter Captchas (the twisted characters you enter for security) when
    >>> sending out emails. Apparently it's only for new users or people who
    >>> recently had suspicous activity.

    >>> I've never been asked for one until just now. A week ago somebody
    >>> mailed out garbage to 5-10 people on my Contacts list so it looked
    >>> like I had sent them. I don't know how they did it. Today, Yahoo
    >>> said I had to change my password and gave me the captcha. I then sent
    >>> 2-3 emails and no captcha appeared.

    >>> I hope the captchas don't appear - I hate those things, and they are
    >>> unfair to kids or older people.

    >> Why are they unfair?

    > What I meant was that some people can't deal with the captchas due to
    > handicaps or confusion.

    The majority of captchas I've seen and used have a small icon next to
    them to allow the words to be spoken to assist visually impaired people.

    Unfortunately there is little that can be done for people in a permanent
    state of confusion for which sending email might be the least of their
    problems.

    Desk Rabbit, Feb 25, 2010
  11. Richard Fangnail

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 24/02/2010 23:48, NotMe wrote:
    > "Desk Rabbit"<> wrote in message
    >> On 24/02/2010 18:16, Richard Fangnail wrote:
    >>> There have been threads the past year about Yahoo Mail asking people
    >>> to enter Captchas (the twisted characters you enter for security) when
    >>> sending out emails. Apparently it's only for new users or people who
    >>> recently had suspicous activity.
    >>>
    >>> I've never been asked for one until just now. A week ago somebody
    >>> mailed out garbage to 5-10 people on my Contacts list so it looked
    >>> like I had sent them. I don't know how they did it. Today, Yahoo
    >>> said I had to change my password and gave me the captcha. I then sent
    >>> 2-3 emails and no captcha appeared.
    >>>
    >>> I hope the captchas don't appear - I hate those things, and they are
    >>> unfair to kids or older people.

    >> Why are they unfair?

    > Because some folk's vision/perception can't decipher the code. Audio
    > alternative for the blind is a night mare. Those that are ADD/Dyslexic are
    > screwed.
    >
    > Some providers give users 3-5 shots to enter the right code then lock out
    > the user for 24 hours others required a CS troop to intervene.

    So they need to contact the provider to make alternative arrangements.
    In the UK at least this kind of discrimination is illegal.

    Desk Rabbit, Feb 25, 2010
  12. On Feb 24, 7:37 pm, Scott in SoCal <> wrote:

    > EVERY. SINGLE. EMAIL.
    >
    > It's ironic that the "solution" to SPAM is more aggravating than the
    > SPAM itself.

    Scott, when did you first start using Yahoo Mail?

    Richard Fangnail, Feb 25, 2010
  13. Richard Fangnail

    John Holmes Guest

    §ñühw¤£f "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > In message <>, John Holmes
    > wrote:
    >> Richard Fangnail "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >> when

    >> who

    >> sen

    >> > What I meant was that some people can't deal with the captchas due
    >> > to handicaps or confusion.

    >> Like you, eh?
    >>

    > THey should put them on car ignition systems.
    >
    > Word.

    :)

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Feb 25, 2010
  14. Richard Fangnail

    > On 24/02/2010 18:40, Richard Fangnail wrote:

    >>> Why are they unfair?

    >> What I meant was that some people can't deal with the captchas due to
    >> handicaps or confusion.

    > The majority of captchas I've seen and used have a small icon next to them
    > to allow the words to be spoken to assist visually impaired people.
    >
    > Unfortunately there is little that can be done for people in a permanent
    > state of confusion for which sending email might be the least of their
    > problems.

    Have you tried to use that option? For most such systems the audio option
    is complex and virtually unusable.

    NotMe, Feb 25, 2010
  15. Richard Fangnail

    > On 24/02/2010 23:48, NotMe wrote:
    >> "Desk Rabbit"<> wrote in message

    >>> Why are they unfair?

    >> Because some folk's vision/perception can't decipher the code. Audio
    >> alternative for the blind is a night mare. Those that are ADD/Dyslexic
    >> are
    >> screwed.
    >>
    >> Some providers give users 3-5 shots to enter the right code then lock out
    >> the user for 24 hours others required a CS troop to intervene.
    >>

    > So they need to contact the provider to make alternative arrangements. In
    > the UK at least this kind of discrimination is illegal.

    Have you tried to do that? Easier talking to a wall ... at lease talking to
    a wall you get an echo.

    NotMe, Feb 25, 2010
  16. Richard Fangnail

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 25/02/2010 23:36, NotMe wrote:
    > "Desk Rabbit"<> wrote in message

    >>> What I meant was that some people can't deal with the captchas due to
    >>> handicaps or confusion.

    >> The majority of captchas I've seen and used have a small icon next to them
    >> to allow the words to be spoken to assist visually impaired people.
    >>
    >> Unfortunately there is little that can be done for people in a permanent
    >> state of confusion for which sending email might be the least of their
    >> problems.

    > Have you tried to use that option? For most such systems the audio option
    > is complex and virtually unusable.

    Complex, how? you click icon. Words come out of speakers.

    If it is too complex to make sure your speakers are on and working and
    your ears unblocked and your brain engaged, then getting to a web page
    behind a captcha is the *least* of your problems.

    Desk Rabbit, Feb 26, 2010
  17. Richard Fangnail

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 25/02/2010 23:37, NotMe wrote:
    > "Desk Rabbit"<> wrote in message
    >> On 24/02/2010 23:48, NotMe wrote:
    >>> "Desk Rabbit"<> wrote in message

    >>> Because some folk's vision/perception can't decipher the code. Audio
    >>> alternative for the blind is a night mare. Those that are ADD/Dyslexic
    >>> are
    >>> screwed.
    >>>
    >>> Some providers give users 3-5 shots to enter the right code then lock out
    >>> the user for 24 hours others required a CS troop to intervene.
    >>>

    >> So they need to contact the provider to make alternative arrangements. In
    >> the UK at least this kind of discrimination is illegal.

    > Have you tried to do that? Easier talking to a wall ... at lease talking to
    > a wall you get an echo.

    Then go elsewhere, complain to trading standards, write to your MP.

    Your other option of course is to just to moan about it and do nothing.

    Desk Rabbit, Feb 26, 2010
  18. Last time on misc.consumers, Richard Fangnail
    <> said:

    >On Feb 24, 7:37 pm, Scott in SoCal <> wrote:
    >
    >> EVERY. SINGLE. EMAIL.
    >>
    >> It's ironic that the "solution" to SPAM is more aggravating than the
    >> SPAM itself.

    >Scott, when did you first start using Yahoo Mail?

    Sometime in 2001. Why do you ask?

    Scott in SoCal, Feb 26, 2010
  19. On Feb 26, 8:23 am, Scott in SoCal <> wrote:
    > Last time on misc.consumers, Richard Fangnail
    > <> said:

    > >Scott, when did you first start using Yahoo Mail?

    > Sometime in 2001. Why do you ask?

    Some people have said that if you recently got an account, you would
    get the captchas. Obviously that's not your case.
    I wonder why you suddenly started getting the captchas only a year
    ago.

    Richard Fangnail, Feb 26, 2010
  20. Richard Fangnail

    > On 25/02/2010 23:36, NotMe wrote:
    >> "Desk Rabbit"<> wrote in message

    >>> The majority of captchas I've seen and used have a small icon next to
    >>> them
    >>> to allow the words to be spoken to assist visually impaired people.
    >>>
    >>> Unfortunately there is little that can be done for people in a permanent
    >>> state of confusion for which sending email might be the least of their
    >>> problems.

    >> Have you tried to use that option? For most such systems the audio
    >> option
    >> is complex and virtually unusable.
    >>

    > Complex, how? you click icon. Words come out of speakers.
    >
    > If it is too complex to make sure your speakers are on and working and
    > your ears unblocked and your brain engaged, then getting to a web page
    > behind a captcha is the *least* of your problems.

    Some folk have multiple disabilities. They are not unable only disabled.
    Sounds to me that you are a classic example of a TAB (Temporally Able
    Bodied). Assuming you are one of the very fortunate few you'll not face
    those problems but live long enough ... you likely will.

    And yes, getting to a web page IS very likely the least of their problems
    but why do you feel it's necessary to justify making that task harder?

    http://images.google.com/images?um=...arch&aq=f&aqi=g-sx2g-s1g-sx7&aql=&oq=&start=0

    NotMe, Feb 26, 2010