    Thanks for your advice.
    --
    Alan

    *alan*, Aug 25, 2007

  2. *alan*

    OrCiscoNovice

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2007
    Messages:
    16
    I could check out Yahoo's support pages. I would bet it would give you more information about Yahoo Install Manager.

    I have and use Yahoo Messenger on my computer. I do not have the Yahoo Install Manager. However, when I installed Yahoo I did the custom install and told it to only install the messenger component.

    OrCiscoNovice, Aug 25, 2007

  3. On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 21:46:05 -0700, *alan* wrote:

    > Just noticed the other day that, in addition to the 9 MB Yahoo Messenger
    > program on my computer (XP Pro SP2), there's a 55 MB program calling itself
    > "Yahoo Install Manager". What does it do and can I get rid of it without
    > screwing things up? (I'd prefer to keep the Yahoo Messenger as my kid uses
    > it).
    > Thanks for your advice.

    If it were me, I would uninstall everything Yahoo Messenger, along
    with AOL, MSN, etc. & install Trillian. It does 5 different chat
    clients(AOL,MSN,Yahoo, ICQ, MirC), so one program for all. No
    proprietary junk or spyware.

    http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/

    Phyl McGrouen, Aug 25, 2007
  4. *alan*

    *alan* Guest

    "Phyl McGrouen" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 21:46:05 -0700, *alan* wrote:
    >
    >> Just noticed the other day that, in addition to the 9 MB Yahoo Messenger
    >> program on my computer (XP Pro SP2), there's a 55 MB program calling
    >> itself
    >> "Yahoo Install Manager". What does it do and can I get rid of it without
    >> screwing things up? (I'd prefer to keep the Yahoo Messenger as my kid
    >> uses
    >> it).
    >> Thanks for your advice.

    > If it were me, I would uninstall everything Yahoo Messenger, along
    > with AOL, MSN, etc. & install Trillian. It does 5 different chat
    > clients(AOL,MSN,Yahoo, ICQ, MirC), so one program for all. No
    > proprietary junk or spyware.
    >
    > http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/

    Thanks for your advice. However, I don't need to interface with 5
    different chat clients, and don't really want to cough up $25.00 for video
    chat.

    I do have a couple of questions, though:
    (1) What's the purpose of Yahoo Install Manager?
    (2) Will Yahoo Messenger still function if I get rid of the Install Manager?

    Thanks for your answers.
    --
    alan

    *alan*, Aug 25, 2007
  5. *alan*

    TJ Guest

    "*alan*" <> wrote in

    > "Phyl McGrouen" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 21:46:05 -0700, *alan* wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just noticed the other day that, in addition to the 9 MB Yahoo
    >>> Messenger program on my computer (XP Pro SP2), there's a 55 MB
    >>> program calling itself
    >>> "Yahoo Install Manager". What does it do and can I get rid of it
    >>> without screwing things up? (I'd prefer to keep the Yahoo Messenger
    >>> as my kid uses
    >>> it).
    >>> Thanks for your advice.

    >> If it were me, I would uninstall everything Yahoo Messenger, along
    >> with AOL, MSN, etc. & install Trillian. It does 5 different chat
    >> clients(AOL,MSN,Yahoo, ICQ, MirC), so one program for all. No
    >> proprietary junk or spyware.
    >>
    >> http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/

    > Thanks for your advice. However, I don't need to interface with 5
    > different chat clients, and don't really want to cough up $25.00 for
    > video chat.

    Don't ya just hate it when other people think they know what's best for
    you? ;-)

    > I do have a couple of questions, though:

    > (1) What's the purpose of Yahoo Install Manager?

    Beats the livin' shit outta me.

    > (2) Will Yahoo Messenger still function if I get rid of the Install
    > Manager?

    Probably. I have Yahoo Messenger (8.0.1.413) installed and it works
    perfectly with NO trace of anything calling itself "Yahoo Install Manager"
    on this machine. So go ahead and remove it if it's bothering you for some
    reason. What's the worst that could happen? Yahoo Messenger stops
    functioning? Big deal. Just remove THAT as well, and download a fresh
    copy. :)

    TJ, Aug 25, 2007
  6. *alan*

    *alan* Guest

    "TJ" <> wrote in message
    > "*alan*" <> wrote in
    >

    >> "Phyl McGrouen" <> wrote in message

    >>> If it were me, I would uninstall everything Yahoo Messenger, along
    >>> with AOL, MSN, etc. & install Trillian. It does 5 different chat
    >>> clients(AOL,MSN,Yahoo, ICQ, MirC), so one program for all. No
    >>> proprietary junk or spyware.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/

    >> Thanks for your advice. However, I don't need to interface with 5
    >> different chat clients, and don't really want to cough up $25.00 for
    >> video chat.

    > Don't ya just hate it when other people think they know what's best for
    > you? ;-)

    Yup --- I had to look to see if my header had somehow been changed to "Can
    you recommend a chat client?"

    >> I do have a couple of questions, though:

    >> (1) What's the purpose of Yahoo Install Manager?

    > Beats the livin' shit outta me.
    >
    >> (2) Will Yahoo Messenger still function if I get rid of the Install
    >> Manager?

    > Probably. I have Yahoo Messenger (8.0.1.413) installed and it works
    > perfectly with NO trace of anything calling itself "Yahoo Install Manager"
    > on this machine. So go ahead and remove it if it's bothering you for some
    > reason. What's the worst that could happen? Yahoo Messenger stops
    > functioning? Big deal. Just remove THAT as well, and download a fresh
    > copy. :)

    Thanks. I just got rid of it and the Messenger still works. I shouldn't
    have been so timid about it.
    Thanks again --- and thanks for not recommending your favorite alternative
    ;-)
    --
    alan

    *alan*, Aug 25, 2007
  7. *alan*

    TJ Guest

    "*alan*" <> wrote in

    > "TJ" <> wrote in message
    >> "*alan*" <> wrote in
    >>

    >>> "Phyl McGrouen" <> wrote in message

    >>> Thanks for your advice. However, I don't need to interface with 5
    >>> different chat clients, and don't really want to cough up $25.00 for
    >>> video chat.

    >> Don't ya just hate it when other people think they know what's best
    >> for you? ;-)

    > Yup --- I had to look to see if my header had somehow been changed to
    > "Can you recommend a chat client?"

    Welcome to 24hoursupport.helpdesk. I'm sure some nitpicker will be
    along shortly to "explain" to you that by "header", you actually meant
    "Subject"

    >>> I do have a couple of questions, though:

    >>> (1) What's the purpose of Yahoo Install Manager?

    >> Beats the livin' shit outta me.
    >>
    >>> (2) Will Yahoo Messenger still function if I get rid of the Install
    >>> Manager?

    >> Probably. I have Yahoo Messenger (8.0.1.413) installed and it works
    >> perfectly with NO trace of anything calling itself "Yahoo Install
    >> Manager" on this machine. So go ahead and remove it if it's
    >> bothering you for some reason. What's the worst that could happen?
    >> Yahoo Messenger stops functioning? Big deal. Just remove THAT as
    >> well, and download a fresh copy. :)

    > Thanks. I just got rid of it and the Messenger still works. I
    > shouldn't have been so timid about it.
    > Thanks again --- and thanks for not recommending your favorite
    > alternative ;-)

    Welcome.

    TJ, Aug 25, 2007
  8. TJ wrote:
    > "*alan*" <> wrote in
    >
    >> "TJ" <> wrote in message
    >>> "*alan*" <> wrote in

    >>> Don't ya just hate it when other people think they know what's best
    >>> for you? ;-)

    >> Yup --- I had to look to see if my header had somehow been changed to
    >> "Can you recommend a chat client?"

    > Welcome to 24hoursupport.helpdesk. I'm sure some nitpicker will be
    > along shortly to "explain" to you that by "header", you actually meant
    > "Subject"

    Looks like you're it.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 26, 2007
  9. *alan*

    TJ Guest

    Rôgêr <> wrote in

    > TJ wrote:
    >> "*alan*" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> "TJ" <> wrote in message

    >>> Yup --- I had to look to see if my header had somehow been changed
    >>> to "Can you recommend a chat client?"

    >> Welcome to 24hoursupport.helpdesk. I'm sure some nitpicker will be
    >> along shortly to "explain" to you that by "header", you actually
    >> meant "Subject"

    > Looks like you're it.

    :) I was wondering if anyone would pick up on that.

    TJ, Aug 26, 2007
  10. On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 16:07:15 +0000, *alan* wrote:

    > "Phyl McGrouen" <> wrote in message

    <snip>
    >> If it were me, I would uninstall everything Yahoo Messenger, along
    >> with AOL, MSN, etc. & install Trillian. It does 5 different chat
    >> clients(AOL,MSN,Yahoo, ICQ, MirC), so one program for all. No
    >> proprietary junk or spyware.
    >>
    >> http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/

    > Thanks for your advice. However, I don't need to interface with 5
    > different chat clients, and don't really want to cough up $25.00 for video
    > chat.
    >
    > I do have a couple of questions, though:
    > (1) What's the purpose of Yahoo Install Manager?
    > (2) Will Yahoo Messenger still function if I get rid of the Install Manager?
    >
    > Thanks for your answers.

    I take it you didn't actually READ for comprehension. ;-)

    The basic Trillian is FREE, no need to cough up anything.

    Anytime I have installed Yahoo, after a clean install of Windows, it would
    slow it down considerably or worse, crash it. I use Trillian for all
    of my chat needs. Trillian doesn't need an INSTALL MANAGER, which is just
    what it says, it helps install the program. In other words, it is so
    buggy, it needs an EXTRA program to install it.

    Have nice day. ;-/

    Phyl McGrouen, Aug 26, 2007
  11. *alan*

    TJ Guest

    Phyl McGrouen <> wrote in

    > On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 16:07:15 +0000, *alan* wrote:
    >
    >> "Phyl McGrouen" <> wrote in message

    > <snip>
    >>> If it were me, I would uninstall everything Yahoo Messenger, along
    >>> with AOL, MSN, etc. & install Trillian. It does 5 different chat
    >>> clients(AOL,MSN,Yahoo, ICQ, MirC), so one program for all. No
    >>> proprietary junk or spyware.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/

    >> Thanks for your advice. However, I don't need to interface with 5
    >> different chat clients, and don't really want to cough up $25.00 for
    >> video chat.
    >>
    >> I do have a couple of questions, though:
    >> (1) What's the purpose of Yahoo Install Manager?
    >> (2) Will Yahoo Messenger still function if I get rid of the Install
    >> Manager?
    >>
    >> Thanks for your answers.

    > I take it you didn't actually READ for comprehension. ;-)

    PKB. :)

    The OP asked two questions about Yahoo Messenger. There is no mention
    of Trillian in the post.

    > The basic Trillian is FREE, no need to cough up anything.

    The OP wanted WEBCAM capability which is not available with the free
    version of Trillion. You'd know that if you'd bothered to read the rest
    of YESTERDAYS thread before posting this.

    > Anytime I have installed Yahoo, after a clean install of Windows, it
    > would slow it down considerably or worse, crash it.

    Oh give me a break. What are you running over there, Win3.1 with 8MB
    ram?

    > I use Trillian
    > for all of my chat needs.

    Goodie for you.

    > Trillian doesn't need an INSTALL MANAGER,

    Neither does Yahoo Messenger, which you would have ALSO already known
    had you bothered to READ the rest of the thread before hitting the send
    button.

    <snip>

    TJ, Aug 26, 2007
  12. *alan*

    *alan* Guest

    "Phyl McGrouen" wrote

    > I take it you didn't actually READ for comprehension. ;-)
    >
    > The basic Trillian is FREE, no need to cough up anything.
    >[...]
    > Have nice day. ;-/

    Gee, Phyl, it looks like you don't actually COMPREHEND what you READ.
    A couple of other posters have already pointed out that you DO need to cough
    up $25 for Trillian video chat, but i figure you might need to see it one
    more time, so it can finally SINK IN .

    And while we're on the subject of READING COMPREHENSION, "yahoo install
    manager": what's it for?" does NOT mean "can you recommend a chat client?"

    Thanks again for your input.

    *alan*, Aug 27, 2007
  13. On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 10:28:09 -0500, TJ wrote:

    > Phyl McGrouen <> wrote in

    <snip>
    >> I take it you didn't actually READ for comprehension. ;-)

    > PKB. :)
    >
    > The OP asked two questions about Yahoo Messenger. There is no mention
    > of Trillian in the post.
    >
    >> The basic Trillian is FREE, no need to cough up anything.

    > The OP wanted WEBCAM capability which is not available with the free
    > version of Trillion. You'd know that if you'd bothered to read the rest
    > of YESTERDAYS thread before posting this.
    >
    >> Anytime I have installed Yahoo, after a clean install of Windows, it
    >> would slow it down considerably or worse, crash it.

    > Oh give me a break. What are you running over there, Win3.1 with 8MB
    > ram?
    >
    >> I use Trillian
    >> for all of my chat needs.

    > Goodie for you.
    >
    >> Trillian doesn't need an INSTALL MANAGER,

    > Neither does Yahoo Messenger, which you would have ALSO already known
    > had you bothered to READ the rest of the thread before hitting the send
    > button.
    >
    > <snip>

    I stand corrected.

    I went back & looked at my copy of Trillian. A customer gave me the
    copy & the folder was labeled Trillian Basic, but it turned out to be
    Trillian Pro. I'm not using that copy of Trillian, as it is an
    older version & not compatible. I didn't need the bells & whistles
    of the Pro version.

    I graciously apologize for the confusion. I hope I am graciously
    forgiven.

    <[:-}

    I still believe Yahoo Messenger is not a well-written piece of code &
    do not want this on my computer. It didn't play nice at times. Most
    every time I have removed all things associated with Yahoo Messenger,
    the computer really runs much better. So I disagree with you on this.
    However, I *did* believe a *person in the know" in relation to Yahoo
    Install Manager & didn't check it out for myself. Thanks for that
    particular piece of information.

    Phyl McGrouen, Aug 27, 2007
  14. On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 00:30:40 +0000, *alan* wrote:

    > "Phyl McGrouen" wrote
    >
    >> I take it you didn't actually READ for comprehension. ;-)
    >>
    >> The basic Trillian is FREE, no need to cough up anything.
    >>[...]
    >> Have nice day. ;-/

    > Gee, Phyl, it looks like you don't actually COMPREHEND what you READ.
    > A couple of other posters have already pointed out that you DO need to cough
    > up $25 for Trillian video chat, but i figure you might need to see it one
    > more time, so it can finally SINK IN .
    >
    > And while we're on the subject of READING COMPREHENSION, "yahoo install
    > manager": what's it for?" does NOT mean "can you recommend a chat client?"
    >
    > Thanks again for your input.

    See my reply to TJ.

    Phyl McGrouen, Aug 27, 2007
  15. *alan*

    > On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 00:30:40 +0000, *alan* wrote:
    >
    >> "Phyl McGrouen" wrote
    >>
    >>> I take it you didn't actually READ for comprehension. ;-)
    >>>
    >>> The basic Trillian is FREE, no need to cough up anything.
    >>>[...]
    >>> Have nice day. ;-/

    >> Gee, Phyl, it looks like you don't actually COMPREHEND what you READ.
    >> A couple of other posters have already pointed out that you DO need to
    >> cough
    >> up $25 for Trillian video chat, but i figure you might need to see it one
    >> more time, so it can finally SINK IN .
    >>
    >> And while we're on the subject of READING COMPREHENSION, "yahoo install
    >> manager": what's it for?" does NOT mean "can you recommend a chat
    >> client?"
    >>
    >> Thanks again for your input.

    > See my reply to TJ.

    Graciously forgiven.

    *alan*, Aug 27, 2007
  16. *alan*

    Plato Guest

    Phyl McGrouen wrote:

    > > Just noticed the other day that, in addition to the 9 MB Yahoo Messenger
    > > program on my computer (XP Pro SP2), there's a 55 MB program calling itself
    > > "Yahoo Install Manager". What does it do and can I get rid of it without
    > > screwing things up? (I'd prefer to keep the Yahoo Messenger as my kid uses
    > > it).
    > > Thanks for your advice.

    > If it were me, I would uninstall everything Yahoo Messenger, along
    > with AOL, MSN, etc. & install Trillian. It does 5 different chat
    > clients(AOL,MSN,Yahoo, ICQ, MirC), so one program for all. No
    > proprietary junk or spyware.

    AIM is actually the standard, and while I dont like AOL, again, their
    chat app _is_ standard. Was taken over for a few years by ICQ but they
    are pretty much not used nowadays.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Aug 28, 2007
  17. On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 16:15:02 -0500, Plato wrote:

    > Phyl McGrouen wrote:

    <snip>
    >> If it were me, I would uninstall everything Yahoo Messenger, along
    >> with AOL, MSN, etc. & install Trillian. It does 5 different chat
    >> clients(AOL,MSN,Yahoo, ICQ, MirC), so one program for all. No
    >> proprietary junk or spyware.

    > AIM is actually the standard, and while I dont like AOL, again, their
    > chat app _is_ standard. Was taken over for a few years by ICQ but they
    > are pretty much not used nowadays.

    Trillian actually makes AIM tolerable, since I don't seem to be able to
    convince my cousin to ditch AOL & AIM.

    :)

    Phyl McGrouen, Aug 28, 2007
  18. *alan*

    Mitch Guest

    In article <46d48fe7$0$98927$>, Plato <|@|.|>
    wrote:

    > AIM is actually the standard, and while I dont like AOL, again, their
    > chat app _is_ standard. Was taken over for a few years by ICQ but they
    > are pretty much not used nowadays.

    NOT "standard;" merely common.
    It would also be closer to say it's proprietary than standard.

    Mitch, Aug 29, 2007