    I have AVG virus basher installed and I somehow sense AVG may be
    implicated in some un-announced way.

    Any suggestions most welcome.
    -Newsman-, Dec 9, 2009

  2. -Newsman-

    Malcolm Guest

    On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 00:46:54 GMT
    (-Newsman-) wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I use the latest Firefox browser and always allow updates (3.3x)
    >
    > There are times when, on entering a query in the Google search box,
    > Yahoo grabs the search, seemingly determined to force me away fom
    > Google even though I have Firefox set to Google as the preferred
    > search engine.
    >
    > Is there a way of eliminating Yahoo from my browser and PC and ridding
    > myself once and for all from this unauthorised and intrusive behavour?
    >
    > I have AVG virus basher installed and I somehow sense AVG may be
    > implicated in some un-announced way.
    >
    > Any suggestions most welcome.

    Hi
    Run about:config then filter on search, you will
    find the entry browser.search.order.2 is set to Yahoo

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.39-0.3-default
    Malcolm, Dec 9, 2009

  3. -Newsman-

    JohnO Guest

    On Dec 9, 1:55 pm, Malcolm <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 00:46:54 GMT
    >

    > (-Newsman-) wrote:
    >
    > > Hello,

    > > I use the latest Firefox browser and always allow updates (3.3x)

    > > There are times when, on entering a query in the Google search box,
    > > Yahoo grabs the search, seemingly determined to force me away fom
    > > Google even though I have Firefox set to Google as the preferred
    > > search engine.

    > > Is there a way of eliminating Yahoo from my browser and PC and ridding
    > > myself once and for all from this unauthorised and intrusive behavour?

    > > I have AVG virus basher installed and I somehow sense AVG may be
    > > implicated in some un-announced way.

    > > Any suggestions most welcome.

    > Hi
    > Run about:config then filter on search, you will
    > find the entry browser.search.order.2 is set to Yahoo

    By "about:config" he means enter that address into the FireFox URL
    field, then accept the ensuing nanny warning. I don't see how to
    delete from there but at least the field can be modified to blank or
    "Google".

    The search box on the toolbar has a drop-down that has a 'Manage
    Search Engines' option. I assume that's where the OP set Google as
    preferred.

    Keith, did you just promote Google to the top of the list or did you
    remove all the other search engines from the list?

    PS: FireFix is up to at least 3.5.5 (on Windows) now.
    JohnO, Dec 9, 2009
  4. -Newsman-

    victor Guest

    JohnO wrote:
    > On Dec 9, 1:55 pm, Malcolm <> wrote:
    >> On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 00:46:54 GMT
    >>

    >> (-Newsman-) wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello,
    >>> I use the latest Firefox browser and always allow updates (3.3x)
    >>> There are times when, on entering a query in the Google search box,
    >>> Yahoo grabs the search, seemingly determined to force me away fom
    >>> Google even though I have Firefox set to Google as the preferred
    >>> search engine.
    >>> Is there a way of eliminating Yahoo from my browser and PC and ridding
    >>> myself once and for all from this unauthorised and intrusive behavour?
    >>> I have AVG virus basher installed and I somehow sense AVG may be
    >>> implicated in some un-announced way.
    >>> Any suggestions most welcome.

    >> Hi
    >> Run about:config then filter on search, you will
    >> find the entry browser.search.order.2 is set to Yahoo
    >>

    > By "about:config" he means enter that address into the FireFox URL
    > field, then accept the ensuing nanny warning. I don't see how to
    > delete from there but at least the field can be modified to blank or
    > "Google".
    >
    > The search box on the toolbar has a drop-down that has a 'Manage
    > Search Engines' option. I assume that's where the OP set Google as
    > preferred.
    >
    > Keith, did you just promote Google to the top of the list or did you
    > remove all the other search engines from the list?
    >
    > PS: FireFix is up to at least 3.5.5 (on Windows) now.

    The address bar search engine setting in about:config is a different key
    to the search dropdown box.
    By default the address performs an "I'm feeling lucky" search on Google.
    I just had to change mine back from winamp's yahoo search after
    installing winamp. <shakes fist at yahoo>
    I had to change the "keyword.URL" string back. I recommend changing it
    to http://www.google.com/search?q= so it does a normal Google search.
    But the default browser.search.order.2 is indeed Yahoo, and I'm sure
    that is worth money to Mozilla.
    I mostly keep the search dropdown on wikipedia and type google searches
    into the address bar.

    You can do quite a lot with bookmark keywords in the address bar
    like this http://johnbokma.com/firefox/keymarks-explained.html
    victor, Dec 9, 2009
  5. -Newsman-

    -Newsman- Guest

    On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 17:28:06 -0800 (PST), JohnO <>
    wrote:

    >On Dec 9, 1:55=A0pm, Malcolm <> wrote:
    >> On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 00:46:54 GMT
    >>

    >> (-Newsman-) wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hello,

    >> > I use the latest Firefox browser and always allow updates (3.3x)

    Should have typed 3.5.5 (ooops!)

    >> > There are times when, on entering a query in the Google search box,
    >> > Yahoo grabs the search, seemingly determined to force me away fom
    >> > Google even though I have Firefox set to Google as the preferred
    >> > search engine.

    >> > Is there a way of eliminating Yahoo from my browser and PC and ridding
    >> > myself once and for all from this unauthorised and intrusive behavour?

    >> > I have AVG virus basher installed and I somehow sense AVG may be
    >> > implicated in some un-announced way.

    >> > Any suggestions most welcome.

    >> Hi
    >> Run about:config then filter on search, you will
    >> find the entry browser.search.order.2 is set to Yahoo
    >>

    >By "about:config" he means enter that address into the FireFox URL
    >field, then accept the ensuing nanny warning. I don't see how to
    >delete from there but at least the field can be modified to blank or
    >"Google".

    I've done that in one case, and deleted all other USER lines
    incorporating anything to do with Yahoo.

    >The search box on the toolbar has a drop-down that has a 'Manage
    >Search Engines' option. I assume that's where the OP set Google as
    >preferred.

    Yep.

    >Keith, did you just promote Google to the top of the list or did you
    >remove all the other search engines from the list?

    I hadn't removed them, but I have now. The computer and browser seem
    to have withstood the assault.

    >PS: FireFix is up to at least 3.5.5 (on Windows) now.

    Yep (As above)

    Many thanks to you both for the suggestions - I'll see how I go.

    Finally, this:

    Having made these changes, I've run my registry through C-Cleaner. It
    threw up literally dozens of strings almost all of which incorporated
    the Internet's grisly trio of Apple/iTunes/Yahoo. I deleted the lot.
    FWIW, I did install iTunes about three weeks ago and it has been
    roughly since then that the Yahoo search hijacking has been happening.

    If it's you, iTunes, not nice. Not nice at all.
    -Newsman-, Dec 9, 2009
  6. -Newsman-

    JohnO Guest

    On Dec 9, 5:04 pm, (-Newsman-) wrote:
    > On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 17:28:06 -0800 (PST), JohnO <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >On Dec 9, 1:55=A0pm, Malcolm <> wrote:

    > Should have typed 3.5.5 (ooops!)

    > >> Hi
    > >> Run about:config then filter on search, you will
    > >> find the entry browser.search.order.2 is set to Yahoo

    > >By "about:config" he means enter that address into the FireFox URL
    > >field, then accept the ensuing nanny warning. I don't see how to
    > >delete from there but at least the field can be modified to blank or
    > >"Google".

    > I've done that in one case, and deleted all other USER lines
    > incorporating anything to do with Yahoo.
    >

    > >The search box on the toolbar has a drop-down that has a 'Manage
    > >Search Engines' option. I assume that's where the OP set Google as
    > >preferred.

    > Yep.
    >

    > >Keith, did you just promote Google to the top of the list or did you
    > >remove all the other search engines from the list?

    > I hadn't removed them, but I have now.  The computer and browser seem
    > to have withstood the assault.
    >

    > >PS: FireFix is up to at least 3.5.5 (on Windows) now.

    > Yep (As above)
    >
    > Many thanks to you both for the suggestions - I'll see how I go.
    >
    > Finally, this:
    >
    > Having made these changes, I've run my registry through C-Cleaner.  It
    > threw up literally dozens of strings almost all of which incorporated
    > the Internet's grisly trio of Apple/iTunes/Yahoo.  I deleted the lot.
    > FWIW, I did install  iTunes about three weeks ago and it has been
    > roughly since then that the Yahoo search hijacking has been happening.
    >
    > If it's you, iTunes, not nice.  Not nice at all.

    QuickTime, from the same vendor (Apple) is just as bad - avoid!
    JohnO, Dec 9, 2009
  7. -Newsman-

    EMB Guest

    JohnO wrote:

    > QuickTime, from the same vendor (Apple) is just as bad - avoid!

    Quicktime has been evil since its introduction - I've seen more machines
    borked by it than I care to remember.
    EMB, Dec 9, 2009
  8. In message <hford8$pe6$>, EMB wrote:

    > Quicktime has been evil since its introduction - I've seen more machines
    > borked by it than I care to remember.

    Only under Windows, though. On the Mac it used to be a very useful and
    powerful technology, back when Microsoft’s Video for Windows couldn’t even
    keep audio and video playback in sync.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 9, 2009
  9. In message <hfn6du$3mk$-september.org>, victor wrote:

    > I just had to change mine back from winamp's yahoo search after
    > installing winamp. <shakes fist at yahoo>

    Funny I’ve never had that problem. Something about having proper OS-level
    package management, I guess.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 9, 2009
  10. -Newsman-

    victor Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <hfn6du$3mk$-september.org>, victor wrote:
    >
    >> I just had to change mine back from winamp's yahoo search after
    >> installing winamp. <shakes fist at yahoo>

    > Funny I’ve never had that problem. Something about having proper OS-level
    > package management, I guess.

    Just not clearing a tick box.
    Its a user setting, I don't think package management systems would
    prevent it.
    victor, Dec 9, 2009
  11. In message <hfp89t$8d2$-september.org>, victor wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message <hfn6du$3mk$-september.org>, victor wrote:
    >>
    >>> I just had to change mine back from winamp's yahoo search after
    >>> installing winamp. <shakes fist at yahoo>

    >> Funny I’ve never had that problem. Something about having proper OS-level
    >> package management, I guess.

    > Just not clearing a tick box.

    But why is it checked by default?

    > ... I don't think package management systems would prevent it.

    Repository administrators would not accept packages that clobbered each
    other like this.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 10, 2009
  12. -Newsman-

    victor Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <hfp89t$8d2$-september.org>, victor wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> Funny I’ve never had that problem. Something about having proper OS-level
    >>> package management, I guess.

    >> Just not clearing a tick box.

    > But why is it checked by default?
    >
    >> ... I don't think package management systems would prevent it.

    > Repository administrators would not accept packages that clobbered each
    > other like this.

    Perhaps not, but as linux gets more mainstream software like Google
    Chrome, Adobe Air, etc are distributed as debs direct from the vendor
    as are Firefox plugins. And plenty of official repository apps embed
    commercial service settings, SIP clients for example.
    victor, Dec 11, 2009