    Note that you need to do this opt out action for each computer and/or
    browser that you use.

    Russell

    Russell Smithies, Feb 4, 2004

  2. Russell Smithies wrote:
    > Yahoo is now using something called "Web Beacons" to track Yahoo
    > Group users around the net and see what you're doing and where you
    > are going - similar to cookies. Take a look at their updated privacy
    > statement:
    > http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy/us/pixels/details.html
    > Note that you need to do this opt out action for each computer and/or
    > browser that you use.

    wow... someone has outdone MS for invasion of privacy... nice.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 4, 2004

  3. Russell Smithies

    GraB Guest

    http://www.allaboutcookies.org/web-beacons/

    GraB, Feb 5, 2004
  4. Russell Smithies

    Miche Guest

    In article <6SdUb.34250$>,
    "Russell Smithies" <> wrote:

    > Yahoo is now using something called "Web Beacons" to track Yahoo
    > Group users around the net and see what you're doing and where you
    > are going - similar to cookies. Take a look at their updated privacy
    > statement:
    >
    > http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy/us/pixels/details.html
    >
    > About half-way down the page, in the section "Outside the Yahoo!
    > Network", you'll see a little "click here" link that will let
    > you "opt-out" of their new method of snooping. I strongly recommend
    > that you do this.
    >
    > Once you have clicked that link, you are opted out. Notice
    > the "Success" message the top the next page.
    >
    > Be careful because on that page there is a "Cancel Opt-out" button
    > that, if clicked, will undo the opt-out.
    >
    > Note that you need to do this opt out action for each computer and/or
    > browser that you use.

    They do this on a reasonably regular basis.

    Miche

    --
    If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud.
    -- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

    Miche, Feb 5, 2004
  5. Russell Smithies

    ~misfit~ Guest

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Russell Smithies wrote:
    >> Yahoo is now using something called "Web Beacons" to track Yahoo
    >> Group users around the net and see what you're doing and where you
    >> are going - similar to cookies. Take a look at their updated privacy
    >> statement:
    >> http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy/us/pixels/details.html
    >> Note that you need to do this opt out action for each computer and/or
    >> browser that you use.

    > wow... someone has outdone MS for invasion of privacy... nice.

    That's the reason a group I'm in went to smartgroups instead.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Feb 5, 2004
  6. Russell Smithies

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <6SdUb.34250$>,
    z says...
    > Yahoo is now using something called "Web Beacons" to track Yahoo
    > Group users around the net and see what you're doing and where you
    > are going - similar to cookies. Take a look at their updated privacy
    > statement:

    A web beacon is a 1x1 image, they have been used a long time at Yahoo and
    are commonplace.

    Mainlander, Feb 6, 2004
  7. Russell Smithies

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <KnqUb.34953$>,
    ~misfit~@his_desk.com says...
    > T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > > Russell Smithies wrote:
    > >> Yahoo is now using something called "Web Beacons" to track Yahoo
    > >> Group users around the net and see what you're doing and where you
    > >> are going - similar to cookies. Take a look at their updated privacy
    > >> statement:
    > >> http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy/us/pixels/details.html
    > >> Note that you need to do this opt out action for each computer and/or
    > >> browser that you use.

    > > wow... someone has outdone MS for invasion of privacy... nice.

    > That's the reason a group I'm in went to smartgroups instead.

    There have always been privacy tradeoffs with Yahoo, however there are no
    competing services that are anywhere near as good.

    Mainlander, Feb 6, 2004
  8. Russell Smithies

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <KnqUb.34953$>,
    ~misfit~@his_desk.com says...
    > T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > > Russell Smithies wrote:
    > >> Yahoo is now using something called "Web Beacons" to track Yahoo
    > >> Group users around the net and see what you're doing and where you
    > >> are going - similar to cookies. Take a look at their updated privacy
    > >> statement:
    > >> http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy/us/pixels/details.html
    > >> Note that you need to do this opt out action for each computer and/or
    > >> browser that you use.

    > > wow... someone has outdone MS for invasion of privacy... nice.

    > That's the reason a group I'm in went to smartgroups instead.

    Big deal, Yahoo can't track you outside their own network. Not like
    Google or Doubleclick

    Mainlander, Feb 6, 2004
  9. Russell Smithies

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Mainlander wrote:
    > In article <KnqUb.34953$>,
    > ~misfit~@his_desk.com says...
    >> T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>>
    >>> wow... someone has outdone MS for invasion of privacy... nice.

    >> That's the reason a group I'm in went to smartgroups instead.

    > There have always been privacy tradeoffs with Yahoo, however there
    > are no competing services that are anywhere near as good.

    Have you checked out Smartgoups?
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Feb 6, 2004
  10. Russell Smithies

    GraB Guest

    On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 13:44:01 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

    >In article <KnqUb.34953$>,
    >~misfit~@his_desk.com says...
    >> T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> >
    >> > wow... someone has outdone MS for invasion of privacy... nice.

    >> That's the reason a group I'm in went to smartgroups instead.

    >Big deal, Yahoo can't track you outside their own network. Not like
    >Google or Doubleclick

    You need to have cookies enabled anyway. I rarely need to enable
    them.

    GraB, Feb 6, 2004
  11. Russell Smithies

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <AEBUb.35433$>,
    ~misfit~@his_desk.com says...
    > Mainlander wrote:
    > > In article <KnqUb.34953$>,
    > > ~misfit~@his_desk.com says...

    > >> That's the reason a group I'm in went to smartgroups instead.

    > > There have always been privacy tradeoffs with Yahoo, however there
    > > are no competing services that are anywhere near as good.

    > Have you checked out Smartgoups?

    Have looked briefly at it, none of the alternative services are as good
    as Yahoo. MSN, others try to come close.

    Mainlander, Feb 6, 2004