    do I just have to create a fake one to see how it works, or could
    someone whack me with a clue stick.

    severe beating accepted if warranted.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 20, 2005

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    paora Guest

    On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 23:40:37 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >ok well, I wanted some info, and it seems that these people run a yahoo
    >group thing to do their mailing list... I subscribed, and activated my
    >subscription, but if I go back to their (yahoo.com based) website, it
    >asks me to sign in... but I havent been allocated a logon/password, so
    >do I just have to create a fake one to see how it works, or could
    >someone whack me with a clue stick.
    >
    >severe beating accepted if warranted.

    Did you already have a yahoo ID of some sort - a free email account?
    Did you create a new one?

    I can't see how you can join a group without already having an ID or
    signing up for a new one.
    paora, Mar 20, 2005

  3. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    <> wrote:

    >ok well, I wanted some info, and it seems that these people run a yahoo
    >group thing to do their mailing list... I subscribed, and activated my
    >subscription, but if I go back to their (yahoo.com based) website, it
    >asks me to sign in... but I havent been allocated a logon/password, so
    >do I just have to create a fake one to see how it works, or could
    >someone whack me with a clue stick.
    >
    >severe beating accepted if warranted.

    Did you already have a yahoo ID of some sort - a free email account?
    Did you create a new one?

    I can't see how you can join a group without already having an ID or
    signing up for a new one.

    When you sign up for a yahoo ID you create your own logon/password.
    paora, Mar 20, 2005
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Thor Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > ok well, I wanted some info, and it seems that these people run a yahoo
    > group thing to do their mailing list... I subscribed, and activated my
    > subscription, but if I go back to their (yahoo.com based) website, it
    > asks me to sign in... but I havent been allocated a logon/password, so
    > do I just have to create a fake one to see how it works, or could
    > someone whack me with a clue stick.
    >
    > severe beating accepted if warranted.

    Basically you need either to get a yahoo id and link your email address to
    it or just pop the mailing list. If you joined with an email address that
    uses a pop server that is.

    --
    *~~~~~~~~~~~~Thor
    Thor, Mar 20, 2005
  5. paora wrote:
    >>ok well, I wanted some info, and it seems that these people run a yahoo
    >>group thing to do their mailing list... I subscribed, and activated my
    >>subscription, but if I go back to their (yahoo.com based) website, it
    >>asks me to sign in... but I havent been allocated a logon/password, so
    >>do I just have to create a fake one to see how it works, or could
    >>someone whack me with a clue stick.
    >>severe beating accepted if warranted.

    > Did you already have a yahoo ID of some sort - a free email account?
    > Did you create a new one?
    > I can't see how you can join a group without already having an ID or
    > signing up for a new one.

    they had a subscribe link on their website, which sent an email to the
    owner of the group, it replied with an "are you sure" email, to which I
    said yep, they then emailed me a link to a page to change
    preferences(yahoo.com/listname) to which I visited, and all it asks for
    is a yahoo logon.

    I've re-read through the initial signup thing and it doesnt mention
    anywhere what to do.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 20, 2005
  6. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Thor Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > paora wrote:
    >
    > they had a subscribe link on their website, which sent an email to the
    > owner of the group, it replied with an "are you sure" email, to which I
    > said yep, they then emailed me a link to a page to change
    > preferences(yahoo.com/listname) to which I visited, and all it asks for
    > is a yahoo logon.
    >
    > I've re-read through the initial signup thing and it doesnt mention
    > anywhere what to do.

    Easiest way is to email

    subscribe as subject and in body of message

    Then do it via email, use a gmail account or similar if you don't want to
    use your real one.

    --
    *~~~~~~~~~~~~Thor
    Thor, Mar 20, 2005
  7. Thor wrote:
    >>they had a subscribe link on their website, which sent an email to the
    >>owner of the group, it replied with an "are you sure" email, to which I
    >>said yep, they then emailed me a link to a page to change
    >>preferences(yahoo.com/listname) to which I visited, and all it asks for
    >>is a yahoo logon.

    >>I've re-read through the initial signup thing and it doesnt mention
    >>anywhere what to do.

    > Easiest way is to email
    > subscribe as subject and in body of message
    > Then do it via email, use a gmail account or similar if you don't want to
    > use your real one.

    yeah thanks, Im just about to do that...

    <gloat>
    ahh, Otago anniversary day... got to love a long weekend, followed by a
    short week, followed by a long weekend, followed by a short week. :)
    </gloat>
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 20, 2005
  8. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Rob J Guest

    In article <d1kqjq$g8i$> in nz.comp on Mon, 21 Mar
    2005 09:40:17 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz <> says...
    > paora wrote:
    > >>ok well, I wanted some info, and it seems that these people run a yahoo
    > >>group thing to do their mailing list... I subscribed, and activated my
    > >>subscription, but if I go back to their (yahoo.com based) website, it
    > >>asks me to sign in... but I havent been allocated a logon/password, so
    > >>do I just have to create a fake one to see how it works, or could
    > >>someone whack me with a clue stick.
    > >>severe beating accepted if warranted.

    > > Did you already have a yahoo ID of some sort - a free email account?
    > > Did you create a new one?
    > > I can't see how you can join a group without already having an ID or
    > > signing up for a new one.

    > they had a subscribe link on their website, which sent an email to the
    > owner of the group, it replied with an "are you sure" email, to which I
    > said yep, they then emailed me a link to a page to change
    > preferences(yahoo.com/listname) to which I visited, and all it asks for
    > is a yahoo logon.
    >
    > I've re-read through the initial signup thing and it doesnt mention
    > anywhere what to do.

    To get a Yahoo ID you sign on at the Yahoo Groups homepage. Then once you
    have one, you can either join a group on its webpage, or link your email
    address to the Yahoo ID.

    Signing on by email only is still supported, but most people don't bother
    with it as they miss out on access to all the useful web based features.
    Rob J, Mar 20, 2005
  9. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Rob J Guest

    In article <uem%d.11298$> in nz.comp on Mon,
    21 Mar 2005 09:50:18 +1200, Thor <> says...
    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    > > paora wrote:
    > >
    > > they had a subscribe link on their website, which sent an email to the
    > > owner of the group, it replied with an "are you sure" email, to which I
    > > said yep, they then emailed me a link to a page to change
    > > preferences(yahoo.com/listname) to which I visited, and all it asks for
    > > is a yahoo logon.
    > >
    > > I've re-read through the initial signup thing and it doesnt mention
    > > anywhere what to do.

    > Easiest way is to email
    >
    > subscribe as subject and in body of message
    >
    > Then do it via email, use a gmail account or similar if you don't want to
    > use your real one.

    NO!

    This gives you the Yahoo ID and password that you need to access the
    Yahoo groups website.
    Rob J, Mar 20, 2005
  10. In article <>, Rob J <> wrote:
    >In article <uem%d.11298$> in nz.comp on Mon,
    >21 Mar 2005 09:50:18 +1200, Thor <> says...
    >> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>
    >> > paora wrote:
    >> >
    >> > they had a subscribe link on their website, which sent an email to the
    >> > owner of the group, it replied with an "are you sure" email, to which I
    >> > said yep, they then emailed me a link to a page to change
    >> > preferences(yahoo.com/listname) to which I visited, and all it asks for
    >> > is a yahoo logon.
    >> >
    >> > I've re-read through the initial signup thing and it doesnt mention
    >> > anywhere what to do.

    >> Easiest way is to email
    >>
    >> subscribe as subject and in body of message
    >>
    >> Then do it via email, use a gmail account or similar if you don't want to
    >> use your real one.

    >NO!
    >This gives you the Yahoo ID and password that you need to access the
    >Yahoo groups website.

    Disagree. If you only want to access a yahoo groups email list then email is
    the easiest way. At least it is for me. :)
    I've been dropped once (in about a year) ... but apparently that "just
    happens" sometimes. Resubscribing is easy - by email of course :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)
    Bruce Sinclair, Mar 21, 2005
  11. Rob J wrote:
    > To get a Yahoo ID you sign on at the Yahoo Groups homepage. Then once you
    > have one, you can either join a group on its webpage, or link your email
    > address to the Yahoo ID.

    yep, this is what I ended up doing... bit of a pain really, but I guess
    they have to do it somehow, although email and password should be
    sufficient.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 21, 2005
  12. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Rob J Guest

    In article <I8o%d.11326$> in nz.comp on Mon,
    21 Mar 2005 00:00:30 GMT, Bruce Sinclair
    <> says...
    > In article <>, Rob J <> wrote:
    > >In article <uem%d.11298$> in nz.comp on Mon,
    > >21 Mar 2005 09:50:18 +1200, Thor <> says...

    > >> Easiest way is to email
    > >>
    > >> subscribe as subject and in body of message
    > >>
    > >> Then do it via email, use a gmail account or similar if you don't want to
    > >> use your real one.

    > >NO!
    > >This gives you the Yahoo ID and password that you need to access the
    > >Yahoo groups website.

    > Disagree. If you only want to access a yahoo groups email list then email is
    > the easiest way. At least it is for me. :)
    > I've been dropped once (in about a year) ... but apparently that "just
    > happens" sometimes. Resubscribing is easy - by email of course :)

    What you do when you sign on to Yahoo Groups website is control your
    email subscription - among other things. There is an option to receive
    individual messages, digests, special announcements or no mail at all.

    There are about 8 special email addresses per group you can also use - if
    you can remember them all.
    Rob J, Mar 21, 2005
  13. In article <>, Rob J <> wrote:
    (snip)
    >> >NO!
    >> >This gives you the Yahoo ID and password that you need to access the
    >> >Yahoo groups website.

    >> Disagree. If you only want to access a yahoo groups email list then email is
    >> the easiest way. At least it is for me. :)
    >> I've been dropped once (in about a year) ... but apparently that "just
    >> happens" sometimes. Resubscribing is easy - by email of course :)

    >What you do when you sign on to Yahoo Groups website is control your
    >email subscription - among other things. There is an option to receive
    >individual messages, digests, special announcements or no mail at all.
    >
    >There are about 8 special email addresses per group you can also use - if
    >you can remember them all.

    May be .. but if all you want is to join a list, email works well :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)
    Bruce Sinclair, Mar 21, 2005
  14. In article <d1krbv$g8i$>,
    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote:

    ><gloat>
    >ahh, Otago anniversary day... got to love a long weekend, followed by a
    >short week, followed by a long weekend, followed by a short week. :)
    ></gloat>

    Yes, it's funny, isn't it, how a long weekend has to be either preceded
    or followed by a short week. Seems to contradict the general Law Of
    Sheer Cussedness that's supposed to apply to nature, doesn't it. :)

    Lawrence "40% of sick days are taken on Friday or Monday" D'Oliveiro
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 27, 2005