    box a few weeks later. Perhaps Yahoo has a deal with their
    advertisers that they'll at least leak a few pieces of junk mail in
    most of the free accounts.

    Edw. Peach, Nov 16, 2005

  2. Edw. Peach

    Notan Guest

    "Edw. Peach" wrote:

    > This is probably no surprise to anybody who roams this forum, but I
    > get a kick out of Yahoo's email program, at least the free version.
    > The site pretends to be really concerned about annoyances like pop-up
    > ads and spam, but I notice that when I sign up for an account, they
    > have a disclaimer that it will take a few days before any changes I've
    > made will take effect. The first thing I do when I create an account
    > (I only have a few) is to go in and change the marketing preferences
    > so I won't get a mailbox full of crap I don't want.
    >
    > Invariably I will find a few topics of crap mail drifting into my mail
    > box a few weeks later. Perhaps Yahoo has a deal with their
    > advertisers that they'll at least leak a few pieces of junk mail in
    > most of the free accounts.

    I'm pretty sure that a certain amount of crap is included in *all* free
    accounts. After all, without some type of advertising, who would pay?

    Notan

    Notan, Nov 16, 2005

  3. Edw. Peach

    Jbob Guest

    While you might be partially correct I have a little different experience
    with them. I have 4 Yahoo email accounts. One I have had for a very long
    time and use it for general registration just in case of harvesting. I have
    a paid Yahoo Mail Plus account. It of course gets it fair share of SPAM
    since I use it most often. I do have two newer accounts that I have only
    used in one place and never shared that address with anyone other than
    registering with that site. To date neither one of them has received not
    one single SPAM message. And I did like you did. Upon creation I went and
    edited my preferences and opted out of all junk.

    I know these two do not prove anything however could it be that whomever
    these addies of yours were shared with sold them to marketers?

    Jbob, Nov 16, 2005
  4. Edw. Peach

    Winged Guest

    Jbob wrote:
    > While you might be partially correct I have a little different experience
    > with them. I have 4 Yahoo email accounts. One I have had for a very long
    > time and use it for general registration just in case of harvesting. I have
    > a paid Yahoo Mail Plus account. It of course gets it fair share of SPAM
    > since I use it most often. I do have two newer accounts that I have only
    > used in one place and never shared that address with anyone other than
    > registering with that site. To date neither one of them has received not
    > one single SPAM message. And I did like you did. Upon creation I went and
    > edited my preferences and opted out of all junk.
    >
    > I know these two do not prove anything however could it be that whomever
    > these addies of yours were shared with sold them to marketers?

    I tend to concur with JBOB. I have had a free account Yahoo for years
    with very little spam that gets through their filters(only in a blue
    moon does it receive anything but legitimate mail. The original poster
    either has his addy open somewhere, posted somewhere or has friends who
    sign him up. Without knowledge of his habits and configuration though,
    and habits of those who mail to him, I have no clue where his issue
    comes from.

    I do use the account frequently and have always considered the account a
    throwaway but the need has never arisen. Strange, perhaps the poster
    should examine the types of mail he receives, the configuration of his
    yahoo name, and how he uses the addy...Maybe we are just lucky....

    Winged

    Winged

    Winged, Nov 17, 2005
  5. Edw. Peach

    Edw. Peach Guest

    I certainly do not fault Yahoo for wanting to make capital from their
    efforts and the free accounts work nicely. I also have a gmail
    account and that one gives me the most trouble, with varioius 'server
    error' problems. (And I also have, for my personal use only,
    accounts through my ISP, and I pay a BUNDLE for cable internet.) The
    odd thing about the latest account I set up is that I was getting
    unsolicted mail even before I used it, and that same thing has
    happened with other Yahoo accounts before. The type of mail I get is
    about stocks and bonds and my user name has NO connection to anything
    in that field.

    Edw. Peach, Nov 17, 2005
  6. Edw. Peach

    traveler Guest

    On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 14:54:12 -0500, Edw. Peach <>
    wrote:

    >This is probably no surprise to anybody who roams this forum, but I
    >get a kick out of Yahoo's email program, at least the free version.
    >The site pretends to be really concerned about annoyances like pop-up
    >ads and spam, but I notice that when I sign up for an account, they
    >have a disclaimer that it will take a few days before any changes I've
    >made will take effect. The first thing I do when I create an account
    >(I only have a few) is to go in and change the marketing preferences
    >so I won't get a mailbox full of crap I don't want.
    >
    >Invariably I will find a few topics of crap mail drifting into my mail
    >box a few weeks later. Perhaps Yahoo has a deal with their
    >advertisers that they'll at least leak a few pieces of junk mail in
    >most of the free accounts.

    I hope you know that yahoo copies and records everything you write and
    do on thier site, I.P., everything

    traveler, Nov 19, 2005