Yahoo (AT&T) drops 'Do Not Track' policy in the name of'personalised' experience

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Anonymous Remailer (austria), May 5, 2014.

  1. Why are we not reading this in an American newspaper?

    http://www.cmo.com.au/article/544288/yahoo_drops_do_track_policy
    _name_personalised_experience/

    Yahoo will stop honoring "Do Not Track" requests made by a
    user's browser. It will now actively attempt to track an
    individual's interactions with its site and its content.

    "Here at Yahoo, we work hard to provide our users with a highly
    personalized experience," the ironically named "Yahoo Privacy
    Team" wrote in a blog post. "We keep people connected to what
    matters most to them, across devices and around the world. We
    fundamentally believe the best web is a personalised one."

    Yahoo's team claimed Yahoo was originally the first major tech
    company to implement "Do Not Track," which, in reality, is more
    of a request from the browser to the website than an order.
    Yahoo said it had yet to see a single privacy standard that is
    "effective, easy to use and has been adopted by the broader tech
    industry." For that reason, as well as its desire for
    "personalised" experiences, Yahoo changed its policy.

    "Personalised" ads, of course, are a mixed bag. On the one hand,
    if Yahoo knows a consumer is a single man, they won't receive
    irrelevant ads for maternity clothes. On the other, tailoring an
    ad to an individual's gender, age, location, and even annual
    income means that Yahoo can charge far more per ad than it
    normally would.

    Yahoo does allow users to manage certain elements of their
    privacy via its "Yahoo Privacy Center," where users can manually
    click a button and opt out of what Yahoo calls "interest-based
    advertising." Doing so, however, requires users not only to
    accept cookies into their browser, but also to be logged into
    Yahoo, across every PC they own, for those privacy settings to
    be passed along to other devices.

    "Do Not Track," of course, allows users to set a blanket
    statement against tracking across all websites, not just Yahoo.
    What Yahoo hopes, of course, is that you simply won't bother.
    Anonymous Remailer (austria), May 5, 2014

  2. > Why are we not reading this in an American newspaper?

    Because the American media has become nothing more than the
    Joseph Goebbels' Reich Minister of Propaganda for the demoncratic
    party. They are the Obamanigger shrills.
    Anonymous Remailer (austria), May 5, 2014