YACT (Yet another conspiracy theory)

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Shane, Jun 18, 2006.

  1. Shane

    Shane Guest

    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10387175

    Microsoft may be hatching rival to iPod and iTunes

    Monday June 19, 2006
    By Kenneth Li

    NEW YORK - Microsoft is developing a music and video device to compete with
    Apple's iPod and creating its own music service to rival Apple's iTunes,
    sources close to the company say.

    __EOF__

    Between you and I, Apples success with the Ipod had nothing to do with what
    it could do (the market was already saturated with mp3 players when the
    Ipod came out) It was all about style [baby]

    Microsoft has to generate the same chic, and style before it can make a dent
    in Ipods.
    Also when Ipods were first taking off, I heard Microsoft comments to the
    effect that, mp3 players are a multi million dollar business, but Microsoft
    deals in billion dollar businesses

    --
    Rule 6: There is no rule 6

    Blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org
    Shane, Jun 18, 2006

  2. Shane

    shannon Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10387175
    >
    > Microsoft may be hatching rival to iPod and iTunes
    >
    > Monday June 19, 2006
    > By Kenneth Li
    >
    > NEW YORK - Microsoft is developing a music and video device to compete with
    > Apple's iPod and creating its own music service to rival Apple's iTunes,
    > sources close to the company say.
    >
    > __EOF__
    >
    > Between you and I, Apples success with the Ipod had nothing to do with what
    > it could do (the market was already saturated with mp3 players when the
    > Ipod came out) It was all about style [baby]
    >
    > Microsoft has to generate the same chic, and style before it can make a dent
    > in Ipods.
    > Also when Ipods were first taking off, I heard Microsoft comments to the
    > effect that, mp3 players are a multi million dollar business, but Microsoft
    > deals in billion dollar businesses

    :))
    I saw this a little while ago
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEmZuieb7TM
    shannon, Jun 18, 2006

  3. T'was the Mon, 19 Jun 2006 08:13:03 +1200 when I remembered Shane
    <-a-geek.net> saying something like this:

    >Between you and I, Apples success with the Ipod had nothing to do with what
    >it could do (the market was already saturated with mp3 players when the
    >Ipod came out) It was all about style [baby]

    You don't feel the tight integration between Itunes store, legal music
    downloading at a fair price, and the Ipod helped? having said that,
    you're quite right about the Ipod being a cultural icon of today's
    generation much like the Walkman of old days.

    >Microsoft has to generate the same chic, and style before it can make a dent
    >in Ipods.

    From what I can see, they're working on it. Compare the original Xbox
    to the Xbox 360. One of these things looks better than the other:)

    On a side note, I just bought an original Xbox secondhand from EB
    Games for $149. I didn't realize they were so cheap these days.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Jun 18, 2006
  4. Shane

    shannon Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > T'was the Mon, 19 Jun 2006 08:13:03 +1200 when I remembered Shane
    > <-a-geek.net> saying something like this:
    >
    >> Between you and I, Apples success with the Ipod had nothing to do with what
    >> it could do (the market was already saturated with mp3 players when the
    >> Ipod came out) It was all about style [baby]

    > You don't feel the tight integration between Itunes store, legal music
    > downloading at a fair price, and the Ipod helped? having said that,
    > you're quite right about the Ipod being a cultural icon of today's
    > generation much like the Walkman of old days.

    Its all of those things and more.
    The click wheel interface, the styling, the mindshare, the linguistic
    coinage spawning podcasting. Itunes as a free podcast directory etc.
    They have made it possible for any trendy kid to carry around a little
    bit of Apple style.
    Many ipod users I know have sharepod so they don't need to use itunes,
    and they can upload from their ipods, exchange music on soulseek etc.
    The itunes store is a good piece of vertical integration that required
    some lateral thinking and independence that other players too close to
    DRM and the RIAA, like Sony couldn't achieve.
    shannon, Jun 19, 2006
  5. Shane

    BrianM Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 06:13:03 +1000, Shane wrote:

    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10387175
    >
    > Microsoft may be hatching rival to iPod and iTunes
    >
    > Monday June 19, 2006
    > By Kenneth Li
    >
    > NEW YORK - Microsoft is developing a music and video device to compete
    > with Apple's iPod and creating its own music service to rival Apple's
    > iTunes, sources close to the company say.
    >
    > __EOF__
    >
    > Between you and I, Apples success with the Ipod had nothing to do with
    > what it could do (the market was already saturated with mp3 players when
    > the Ipod came out) It was all about style [baby]
    >
    > Microsoft has to generate the same chic, and style before it can make a
    > dent in Ipods.
    > Also when Ipods were first taking off, I heard Microsoft comments to the
    > effect that, mp3 players are a multi million dollar business, but
    > Microsoft deals in billion dollar businesses

    A bit of competition won't do the market any harm - it may even bring the
    price down for us Gente Pobre.

    cheers
    --
    BrianM