    And do current Linux kernels provide any 64-bit date/time functions yet
    <http://maul.deepsky.com/%7Emerovech/2038.html>? MacOS had this sussed
    years ago...
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Dec 23, 2003

  2. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    > Looks like date/time problems never go away...
    >
    > This vendor <http://news.com.com/2100-7355_3-5129875.html> did
    > something unbelievably stupid which means all current versions of
    > their software will start misbehaving in just a few weeks, at 10th
    > January 2004 13:37:04 UTC. Somehow I doubt they're an isolated case,
    > though other products may not exhibit exactly the same problem.
    >
    > And do current Linux kernels provide any 64-bit date/time functions
    > yet <http://maul.deepsky.com/%7Emerovech/2038.html>? MacOS had this
    > sussed years ago...

    All programs using 32-bits for date/time storage must die at some stage
    (64-bit storage is not immune, but will die much, much later, of course :)).
    The question of when depends on what date they measure from. In Delphi,
    dates are stored as a double (Floating point type), expressed as the
    fraction of days elapsed since 12/30/1899.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Dec 24, 2003

  3. In article <bsatv1$9u7$>,
    "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote:

    >Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >> Looks like date/time problems never go away...
    >>
    >> And do current Linux kernels provide any 64-bit date/time functions
    >> yet <http://maul.deepsky.com/%7Emerovech/2038.html>? MacOS had this
    >> sussed years ago...

    >All programs using 32-bits for date/time storage must die at some stage

    Here's another gripe: if UNIX/Linux folks would only use unsigned
    instead of signed 32-bit integers, they could keep going until about
    2138 with the current API.

    >(64-bit storage is not immune, but will die much, much later, of course :)).

    Longer than the age of the Universe is probably good enough for most
    purposes :).

    >The question of when depends on what date they measure from. In Delphi,
    >dates are stored as a double (Floating point type), expressed as the
    >fraction of days elapsed since 12/30/1899.

    Hmm, not sure I like floating point for this purpose.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Dec 26, 2003
  4. On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 19:23:38 +1300, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    > Here's another gripe: if UNIX/Linux folks would only use unsigned
    > instead of signed 32-bit integers, they could keep going until about
    > 2138 with the current API.

    Yes, but switching from signed to unsigned only puts the problem off for
    100 years.

    Going to 64 bit pretty much puts it past the heat death of the Sun.

    As for why 32 bit originally? In 1970 ram was $1E9/Mb.

    (Which is also why old *nix commands are so few letters)
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Dec 26, 2003
  5. In article <>,
    "Uncle StoatWarbler" <> wrote:

    >In 1970 ram was $1E9/Mb.
    >
    >(Which is also why old *nix commands are so few letters)

    And yet even new *nix commands still use so few letters...
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Dec 27, 2003
  6. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    T.N.O. Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >>In 1970 ram was $1E9/Mb.
    >>(Which is also why old *nix commands are so few letters)

    > And yet even new *nix commands still use so few letters...

    Thats because we are now lazy as opposed to efficient. :)
    T.N.O., Dec 27, 2003
  7. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Lennier Guest

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 20:53:03 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:

    >> And yet even new *nix commands still use so few letters...

    > Thats because we are now lazy as opposed to efficient. :)

    Have you noticed how application switches are starting to get longer and
    longer?

    Lennier
    Lennier, Dec 27, 2003
  8. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    T.N.O. Guest

    Lennier wrote:
    >>>And yet even new *nix commands still use so few letters...

    >>Thats because we are now lazy as opposed to efficient. :)

    > Have you noticed how application switches are starting to get longer and
    > longer?

    only because we like to have more choice now...
    T.N.O., Dec 27, 2003
  9. On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 17:49:05 +1300, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    >>In 1970 ram was $1E9/Mb.
    >>
    >>(Which is also why old *nix commands are so few letters)

    > And yet even new *nix commands still use so few letters...

    Yes, traditions die hard,
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Dec 27, 2003
  10. In article <pan.2003.12.27.09.28.47.80941@TRACKER>,
    Lennier <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 20:53:03 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:
    >
    >>> And yet even new *nix commands still use so few letters...

    >> Thats because we are now lazy as opposed to efficient. :)

    >Have you noticed how application switches are starting to get longer and
    >longer?

    You mean those double-dash ones? And all those apps offering both
    single-dash and double-dash switches?
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Dec 28, 2003
  11. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Lennier Guest

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 23:12:40 +1300, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    > You mean those double-dash ones?

    Yeah!

    > And all those apps offering both
    > single-dash and double-dash switches?

    Yeah...

    Mind due, I quite like having all those options for RPM at the command
    line.

    Lennier
    Lennier, Dec 28, 2003