    of the driver CD. Please, please, can anyone help me?

    --
    Alasdair Baxter

    Alasdair, Jun 24, 2010

  2. Alasdair

    Alasdair Guest

    Alasdair, Jun 26, 2010

  3. Alasdair wrote:
    > On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 18:39:10 +0100, Me <> wrote:
    >
    >> Have you tried here?
    >> http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=535858
    >>
    >> Me

    > I downloaded it and tried to install it but it is not recognised.
    >
    > What i need is a copy of the original CD or an address for the
    > manufacturer of the unit.

    The original manufacturer may well not deal with end users!

    These devices typically look like a combination of USB sound card and
    HID (human interface device - i.e. keyboard in this case). The sound
    card can probably be handled by generic driver code. The keyboard might
    be more of a problem, but possibly not - it might even simply generate
    the key codes for the corresponding characters on the main keyboard.

    Unfortunately, Windows won't always select drivers based on device
    class, although often what is on the CD is only a mapping between the
    USB ID and built-in Windows driver binaries. The USB ID may change
    with the branding.

    If you have access to a Linux system, I'd try running "lsusb -v" to get
    all the device identify information. I can't promise that that will
    help, but there may be clues as to what it really is, under the skin.

    David Woolley, Jun 26, 2010
  4. Alasdair

    alexd Guest

    Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings, David Woolley
    chose the tried and tested strategy of:

    > Unfortunately, Windows won't always select drivers based on device
    > class, although often what is on the CD is only a mapping between the
    > USB ID and built-in Windows driver binaries. The USB ID may change
    > with the branding.

    I don't know a lot about Windows drivers, but I believe this mapping is in
    the .inf file [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INF_file]. If it were my device
    and I couldn't track down the original drivers, I'd take an .inf file from a
    similar product and see if changing the vendor/product ID therein would con
    it into working.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    Qua illic est accuso, illic est a vindicatum

    alexd, Jun 26, 2010
  5. Alasdair

    Alasdair Guest

    On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 10:40:29 +0100, David Woolley
    <> wrote:

    >These devices typically look like a combination of USB sound card and
    >HID (human interface device - i.e. keyboard in this case). The sound
    >card can probably be handled by generic driver code. The keyboard might
    >be more of a problem, but possibly not - it might even simply generate
    >the key codes for the corresponding characters on the main keyboard.

    There is no keyboard attached to this unit. It is merely an ordinary
    USB telephone handset with the normal buttons 1 to 0 plus mute,
    redial and a back arrow. There is also a button with an @ symbol on it
    and yet another with a $ symbol.

    If I can find out the name of the original manufacturer, I can always
    ask them for a copy of the original CD. It is then up to them whether
    to let me have one or not.

    --
    Alasdair.

    Alasdair, Jun 26, 2010
  6. Alasdair wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 10:40:29 +0100, David Woolley
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> These devices typically look like a combination of USB sound card and
    >> HID (human interface device - i.e. keyboard in this case). The sound
    >> card can probably be handled by generic driver code. The keyboard might
    >> be more of a problem, but possibly not - it might even simply generate
    >> the key codes for the corresponding characters on the main keyboard.

    > There is no keyboard attached to this unit. It is merely an ordinary
    > USB telephone handset with the normal buttons 1 to 0 plus mute,

    That's a keyboard, albeit a small one.

    David Woolley, Jun 27, 2010
  7. alexd wrote:
    > Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings, David Woolley
    > chose the tried and tested strategy of:
    >
    >> Unfortunately, Windows won't always select drivers based on device
    >> class, although often what is on the CD is only a mapping between the
    >> USB ID and built-in Windows driver binaries. The USB ID may change
    >> with the branding.

    > I don't know a lot about Windows drivers, but I believe this mapping is in
    > the .inf file [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INF_file]. If it were my device
    > and I couldn't track down the original drivers, I'd take an .inf file from a
    > similar product and see if changing the vendor/product ID therein would con
    > it into working.

    I'd agree.

    David Woolley, Jun 27, 2010