    Anyone know where to get this?

    There are 10 types of people in this world...
    ....those who understand binary & those who don't.
    Daniel, May 16, 2005

  2. Daniel

    Unk Guest

    On Sun, 15 May 2005 21:02:08 -0500, "Daniel" <daniel_h_wATyyahooDOTccom> wrote:

    >I'm trying to download the Xvid codec because I've got to re-encode some
    >AVIs that were done in Xvid. The problem is that I can only find that yes
    >it exists, & yes they have the source code....but no actual download of the
    >codec.
    >
    >Anyone know where to get this?
    >
    >--

    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/xvid.cfm
    Click the "Download" image to get the file, "XviD-1.0.3-20122004.exe"
    Unk, May 16, 2005

  3. Daniel

    gangle Guest

    http://www.koepi.org/xvid.shtml

    "Daniel" wrote

    gangle, May 16, 2005
  4. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    wrote:

    > >I'm trying to download the Xvid codec because I've got to re-encode some
    > >AVIs that were done in Xvid. The problem is that I can only find that

    yes
    > >it exists, & yes they have the source code....but no actual download of

    the
    > >codec.
    > >
    > >Anyone know where to get this?
    > >
    > >--

    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/xvid.cfm
    > Click the "Download" image to get the file, "XviD-1.0.3-20122004.exe"

    Thanks...but I've also ran into another problem as well. I've got some files
    that are in AC3 ("AC3 DVM" as a video info viewer shows). I cant seem to
    find a AC3 codec that can play them back.

    Any ideas? Is there just 1 ac3 codec or multiple ones?
    Daniel, May 16, 2005
  5. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    "gangle" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.koepi.org/xvid.shtml

    Thanks...did happen to find it....but I've also ran into another problem as

    Daniel, May 16, 2005
  6. Daniel

    Unk Guest

    On Mon, 16 May 2005 01:44:11 -0500, "Daniel" <daniel_h_wATyyahooDOTccom> wrote:

    >"Unk" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 15 May 2005 21:02:08 -0500, "Daniel" <daniel_h_wATyyahooDOTccom>

    >wrote:
    >>
    >> >I'm trying to download the Xvid codec because I've got to re-encode some
    >> >AVIs that were done in Xvid. The problem is that I can only find that

    >yes
    >> >it exists, & yes they have the source code....but no actual download of

    >the
    >> >codec.
    >> >
    >> >Anyone know where to get this?
    >> >
    >> >--

    >http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/xvid.cfm
    >> Click the "Download" image to get the file, "XviD-1.0.3-20122004.exe"
    >>

    >Thanks...but I've also ran into another problem as well. I've got some files
    >that are in AC3 ("AC3 DVM" as a video info viewer shows). I cant seem to
    >find a AC3 codec that can play them back.
    >
    >Any ideas? Is there just 1 ac3 codec or multiple ones?

    http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/software.htm
    http://www.doom9.org/Soft21/Filters/ac3filter_0_70b.exe

    Gspot codec identifier - Drag & drop file into it, or add a shortcut to it in your "Sendto"
    folder. http://www.headbands.com/gspot/download.html
    Unk, May 16, 2005
  7. Daniel

    gangle Guest

    "Daniel" wrote
    > "gangle" wrote
    > > http://www.koepi.org/xvid.shtml
    > >

    > Thanks...did happen to find it....but I've also ran into another problem as
    > well. I've got some files that are in AC3 ("AC3 DVM" as a video info viewer
    > shows). I cant seem to find a AC3 codec that can play them back.
    >
    > Any ideas? Is there just 1 ac3 codec or multiple ones?

    It's not a codec -- it's a Direct Show filter, and this one works well
    on my system:
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Audio/Audio-CD-Rippers-Encoders/AC3-Filter-a-RC.shtml

    gangle, May 16, 2005
  8. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    "gangle" <> wrote in message
    > "Daniel" wrote
    > > "gangle" wrote
    > > > http://www.koepi.org/xvid.shtml
    > > >

    > > Thanks...did happen to find it....but I've also ran into another problem

    as
    > > well. I've got some files that are in AC3 ("AC3 DVM" as a video info

    viewer
    > > shows). I cant seem to find a AC3 codec that can play them back.
    > >
    > > Any ideas? Is there just 1 ac3 codec or multiple ones?

    > It's not a codec -- it's a Direct Show filter, and this one works well
    > on my system:

    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Audio/Audio-CD-Rippers-Encoders/AC3-
    Filter-a-RC.shtml

    Then how do I re-encode a video's audio that is using it? I cant get
    VirtualDub 1.4 to reprocess it. I tried ripping the audio out of it (using
    save as WAV) & then tried to have WinAmp use it's diskwriter plugin to
    convert to regular WAV, but not able to get WinAmp to read it either (says
    no supported codec).

    I tried the codec the other person posted a link to (thats the one I'd
    installed) but still nothing.

    Daniel, May 16, 2005
  9. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    wrote:

    > >"Unk" <> wrote in message
    > >> On Sun, 15 May 2005 21:02:08 -0500, "Daniel"

    <daniel_h_wATyyahooDOTccom>

    some

    > >yes

    of
    > >the

    >http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/xvid.cf

    > >> Click the "Download" image to get the file, "XviD-1.0.3-20122004.exe"
    > >>

    > >Thanks...but I've also ran into another problem as well. I've got some

    files
    > >that are in AC3 ("AC3 DVM" as a video info viewer shows). I cant seem to
    > >find a AC3 codec that can play them back.
    > >
    > >Any ideas? Is there just 1 ac3 codec or multiple ones?
    > >

    > http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/software.htm
    > http://www.doom9.org/Soft21/Filters/ac3filter_0_70b.exe
    >
    > Gspot codec identifier - Drag & drop file into it, or add a shortcut to it

    in your "Sendto"
    > folder. http://www.headbands.com/gspot/download.html

    I tried that one & no matter what I select to try to convert it to (the
    compression method, need MP3 not AC3) then I get an error that the selected
    format isn't compatible with the audio source. GSpot says 3 compatible
    audio codecs installed though. So what is wrong? Will I be able to get the
    audio out of this AVI in another compression format?
    Daniel, May 16, 2005
  10. Daniel

    gangle Guest

    "Daniel" wrote

    >........Then how do I re-encode a video's audio that is using it? I cant get
    > VirtualDub 1.4 to reprocess it. I tried ripping the audio out of it (using
    > save as WAV) & then tried to have WinAmp use it's diskwriter plugin to
    > convert to regular WAV, but not able to get WinAmp to read it either (says
    > no supported codec).
    >
    > I tried the codec the other person posted a link to (thats the one I'd
    > installed) but still nothing.

    **I F** Direct Show recognized the AC3 filter, you would be able
    to BOTH play the AC3 sound directly and convert it to wav
    or mp3 in Virtual Dub. I suggest uninstalling any/all AC3 filters,
    then install the one I pointed to.
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Audio/Audio-CD-Rippers-Encoders/AC3-Filter-a-RC.shtml

    Then go to control panel and open the configuration on the filter;
    on the SYSTEM Tab: check only "AC3" under "Use AC3Filter for,"
    and bullet both "Prefer AC3 Filter" and "Use Direct Sound as default
    audio renderer" > Apply > OK. If this doesn't work, I'm stumped as
    to what your specific problem might be.
    gangle, May 16, 2005
  11. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    "gangle" <> wrote in message
    > "Daniel" wrote
    >
    > >........Then how do I re-encode a video's audio that is using it? I cant

    get
    > > VirtualDub 1.4 to reprocess it. I tried ripping the audio out of it

    (using
    > > save as WAV) & then tried to have WinAmp use it's diskwriter plugin to
    > > convert to regular WAV, but not able to get WinAmp to read it either

    (says
    > > no supported codec).
    > >
    > > I tried the codec the other person posted a link to (thats the one I'd
    > > installed) but still nothing.

    > **I F** Direct Show recognized the AC3 filter, you would be able
    > to BOTH play the AC3 sound directly and convert it to wav
    > or mp3 in Virtual Dub. I suggest uninstalling any/all AC3 filters,
    > then install the one I pointed to.

    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Audio/Audio-CD-Rippers-Encoders/AC3-
    Filter-a-RC.shtml

    > Then go to control panel and open the configuration on the filter;
    > on the SYSTEM Tab: check only "AC3" under "Use AC3Filter for,"
    > and bullet both "Prefer AC3 Filter" and "Use Direct Sound as default
    > audio renderer" > Apply > OK. If this doesn't work, I'm stumped as
    > to what your specific problem might be.

    OK, not sure what you're saying here because I'm missing allot of it. I go
    to "Control panel" & open the "AC3" icon/option. A window comes up. I click
    the SYSTEM tab. I do not have a "Use AC3Filter for" option or anything that
    says "AC3 filter" on that screen. I have "Default audio renderer" and have
    "Direct sound" (selected) & "Wav out" as my options. I also have a "use
    filter merrit" & "Prefer AC3 filter" (selected...is THAT the one?) & "Prefer
    other filter". I have a "System options" section in the bottom left, and it
    has 4 check boxes (all checked). "Auto load movie configuration files"
    "Generate timestamps" with a sub option of "Jitter Correction. Curren
    jitter: 0ms" & "Use WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE". Thats it.

    Also, HOW would I go about uninstalling an audio codec & how can I easilly
    reinstall if that didnt work (dont want to go needlessly undoing something)?

    Also here is the audio info about the file. "384 kb/s (6 ch) CBR 48000Hz".
    Do I need to at least be able to encode it to "384 Kb/s" when I process it
    with VirtualDub? I'm setting to convert it to stereo & 16-bit & to also
    convert it to 4800Hz even though it already is (just in case this 6 channel
    audio is the problem).

    GSpot shows the following 3 codecs.

    << AC3Filter >>

    DSH Friendly Name AC3Filter
    DSH Driver or Wrapper C:\Program Files\AC3Filter\ac3filter.ax
    DSH DirectShow CLSID {A753A1EC-973E-4718-AF8E-A3F554D45C44}
    DSH Format Tag 0x2000
    FIL File Description ac3filter
    FIL File Version 0.70b
    FIL Internal Name ac3filter
    FIL Legal Copyright Copyright © 2002 by Vigovsky Alexander
    FIL Original Filename ac3filter.ax
    FIL Product Name AC3Filter
    FIL Product Version 0.70b
    FIL Comments Direct show AC3 decoder filter
    REG Additional Media Type 01 MEDIATYPE_MPEG2_PES
    REG Additional Media Type 02 MEDIASUBTYPE_DOLBY_AC3
    REG Additional Media Type 03 MEDIATYPE_DVD_ENCRYPTED_PACK

    << CyberLink Audio Decoder >>

    DSH Friendly Name CyberLink Audio Decoder
    DSH Driver or Wrapper C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\claud.ax
    DSH DirectShow CLSID {9BC1B780-85E3-11D2-98D0-0080C84E9C39}
    DSH Format Tag 0x2000
    FIL File Description CyberLink Audio Filter
    FIL Company Name CyberLink Corp.
    FIL File Version 2.00.0914
    FIL Internal Name CLAUD.AX
    FIL Legal Copyright Copyright (C) 1999 CyberLink Corp.
    FIL Original Filename CLAUD.AX
    FIL Product Name CyberLink PowerDVD
    FIL Product Version 2.00.0914
    FIL Comments CyberLink Audio Filter
    FIL Legal Trademarks CyberLink Corp.
    FIL Private Build 1999.09.14
    REG Additional Media Type 01 MEDIASUBTYPE_DOLBY_AC3
    REG Additional Media Type 02 MEDIATYPE_MPEG2_PES
    REG Additional Media Type 03 MEDIASUBTYPE_MPEG2_AUDIO
    REG Additional Media Type 04 MEDIASUBTYPE_DVD_LPCM_AUDIO
    REG Additional Media Type 05 MEDIATYPE_DVD_ENCRYPTED_PACK

    <<AC3 from AVI XForm >> (this has a "-->" after it with the "ATI MPEG audio
    decoder" to the right, each link contains the following info)

    DSH Friendly Name AC3 from AVI XForm
    DSH Driver or Wrapper C:\WINDOWS\System32\mpgaudio.ax
    DSH DirectShow CLSID {51653990-57B4-11CF-8EB1-02608C9BABA2}
    DSH Format Tag 0x2000
    FIL File Description MPEG Audio Codec (Sample)
    FIL Company Name MyCompanyName
    FIL File Version 1.00
    FIL Internal Name MPGAudio.ax
    FIL Legal Copyright Copyright (C) 1997 MyCompanyName.
    FIL Original Filename MPGAudio.ax
    FIL Product Name MyProductName
    FIL Product Version 1.00
    REG Additional Media Type 01 WAVE_FORMAT_AC3 (0x2000)
    REG Additional Media Type 02 MEDIATYPE_MPEG2_PES

    << ATI MPEG Audio Encoder >>

    ACM Format Name IMA ADPCM
    ACM Format Code 0x0011
    ACM Driver File C:\WINDOWS\System32\imaadp32.acm
    ACM Short Name Microsoft IMA ADPCM
    ACM Long Name Microsoft IMA ADPCM CODEC
    ACM Copyright Copyright (C) 1992-1996 Microsoft Corporation
    ACM Features Compresses and decompresses IMA ADPCM audio data.
    DSH DirectShow CLSID CLSID_ACMWrapper {6a08cf80-0e18-11cf-a24d-0020afd79767}
    DSH Driver or Wrapper C:\WINDOWS\System32\quartz.dll
    FIL File Description IMA ADPCM CODEC for MSACM
    FIL Company Name Microsoft Corporation
    FIL File Version 5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
    FIL Internal Name IMA ADPCM CODEC for MSACM
    FIL Legal Copyright © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
    FIL Original Filename imaadp32.acm
    FIL Product Name Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    FIL Product Version 5.1.2600.1106
    Daniel, May 16, 2005
  12. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    "gangle" <> wrote in message
    > "Daniel" wrote
    >
    > >........Then how do I re-encode a video's audio that is using it? I cant

    get
    > > VirtualDub 1.4 to reprocess it. I tried ripping the audio out of it

    (using
    > > save as WAV) & then tried to have WinAmp use it's diskwriter plugin to
    > > convert to regular WAV, but not able to get WinAmp to read it either

    (says
    > > no supported codec).
    > >
    > > I tried the codec the other person posted a link to (thats the one I'd
    > > installed) but still nothing.

    > **I F** Direct Show recognized the AC3 filter, you would be able
    > to BOTH play the AC3 sound directly and convert it to wav
    > or mp3 in Virtual Dub. I suggest uninstalling any/all AC3 filters,
    > then install the one I pointed to.

    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Audio/Audio-CD-Rippers-Encoders/AC3-
    Filter-a-RC.shtml

    > Then go to control panel and open the configuration on the filter;
    > on the SYSTEM Tab: check only "AC3" under "Use AC3Filter for,"
    > and bullet both "Prefer AC3 Filter" and "Use Direct Sound as default
    > audio renderer" > Apply > OK. If this doesn't work, I'm stumped as
    > to what your specific problem might be.

    Also here isthe error I'm getting (VirtualDub 1.4.10)

    Error: "The requested audio compression is not compatible with the input
    format. Check that the sampling rate and channel count ofthe input match
    those of the requested format."

    Settings:
    ORIGINAL: 4800Hz, 8-bit, stereo (GSpot says 6 channel).
    OUTPUT: convert to 4800Hz, convert to 16-bit, convert to stereo.
    (set to full processing mode, not direct stream copy, & compression set to
    DivX MPEG layer 3, & set for anything...I'm usually trying the 4800Hz @ 160
    or any bit rate).

    Any other ideas to rip out this audio? I can always use VirtualDub to get
    the aduio from THAT file.
    Daniel, May 16, 2005
  13. Daniel

    gangle Guest

    "Daniel" wrote
> [...]

    > REG Additional Media Type 02 MEDIATYPE_MPEG2_PES
    >
    > << ATI MPEG Audio Encoder >>
    >
    > ACM Format Name IMA ADPCM
    > ACM Format Code 0x0011
    > ACM Driver File C:\WINDOWS\System32\imaadp32.acm
    > ACM Short Name Microsoft IMA ADPCM
    > ACM Long Name Microsoft IMA ADPCM CODEC
    > ACM Copyright Copyright (C) 1992-1996 Microsoft Corporation
    > ACM Features Compresses and decompresses IMA ADPCM audio data.
    > DSH DirectShow CLSID CLSID_ACMWrapper {6a08cf80-0e18-11cf-a24d-0020afd79767}
    > DSH Driver or Wrapper C:\WINDOWS\System32\quartz.dll
    > FIL File Description IMA ADPCM CODEC for MSACM
    > FIL Company Name Microsoft Corporation
    > FIL File Version 5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
    > FIL Internal Name IMA ADPCM CODEC for MSACM
    > FIL Legal Copyright © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
    > FIL Original Filename imaadp32.acm
    > FIL Product Name Microsoft® Windows® Operating System

    This is just a guess, but based on all the info you have supplied,
    your problem may be that the ATI drivers are screwing up
    the way Direct Show is able to use particular filters/codecs to
    render certain file types. I can't tell you if this can even be fixed
    because, after 3 years, there are certain ATI functions on my
    ATI 7500 All-In-Wonder Video Card (Win98) that don't work because
    of driver issues -- luckily, those missing items are not a problem for me
    -- but, in your case, it may not be so lucky, because (if I'm right)
    ATI may never let you use AC3 sound files properly. The standard
    question would be: Do you have the latest drivers? -- but, in the
    case of ATI, the latest drivers may be the problem, not the
    solution. Anyway, I hope I'm wrong so you can still fix this!
    gangle, May 16, 2005
  14. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    "gangle" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > > FIL Product Name Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    > > FIL Product Version 5.1.2600.1106

    > This is just a guess, but based on all the info you have supplied,
    > your problem may be that the ATI drivers are screwing up
    > the way Direct Show is able to use particular filters/codecs to
    > render certain file types. I can't tell you if this can even be fixed
    > because, after 3 years, there are certain ATI functions on my
    > ATI 7500 All-In-Wonder Video Card (Win98) that don't work because
    > of driver issues -- luckily, those missing items are not a problem for me
    > -- but, in your case, it may not be so lucky, because (if I'm right)
    > ATI may never let you use AC3 sound files properly. The standard
    > question would be: Do you have the latest drivers? -- but, in the
    > case of ATI, the latest drivers may be the problem, not the
    > solution. Anyway, I hope I'm wrong so you can still fix this!

    Still can't get VirtualDub to work with it....but LAMA TO THE RESCUE (or at
    least the thing that "Really whips the Lama's ass!").

    WinAmp can PLAY the video & use it's "Disk Writer Plugin" to write a WAV (of
    what ever frequency, 8/16 bit, mono/stereo, & modification by equalizer
    setting that I choose).

    This worked & now I've got a stripped audio file for each...the much slower
    & MUCH more hard drive consumption way, but it DOES work.
    Daniel, May 16, 2005