    Any help (and apologies in advance if all it required was a v.simple
    googling)

    EP.

    English Patient, Mar 26, 2006

  2. English Patient

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-03-26, English Patient <my_castle@on_the_hill.com> wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a link to an xvid encoder, so I can convert my mpeg2
    > files into xvid ones.
    >
    > I've tried googling (ish) and come across many links for xvids codecs, and
    > stuff which indicates xvid is some kinda open-source / free to all type
    > thing.
    > But a link to an encoder I find none.
    >
    > I've already got a divx encoder but WMP doesn't play divx files so would
    > like to try out xvid.
    >
    > Any help (and apologies in advance if all it required was a v.simple
    > googling)
    >
    > EP.

    You might want to look at something like this:
    http://www.doom9.org/

    in order to decide what you really need.

    --
    and find something besides WMP while you're at it.

    Jimchip, Mar 26, 2006

  3. "English Patient" <my_castle@on_the_hill.com> said in

    > Does anyone know of a link to an xvid encoder, so I can
    > convert my mpeg2 files into xvid ones.
    >
    > I've tried googling (ish) and come across many links for
    > xvids codecs, and stuff which indicates xvid is some kinda
    > open-source / free to all type thing.
    > But a link to an encoder I find none.
    >
    > I've already got a divx encoder but WMP doesn't play divx
    > files so would like to try out xvid.
    >
    > Any help (and apologies in advance if all it required was a
    > v.simple googling)
    >
    > EP.

    http://www.xvid.org/modules.php?
    op=modload&name=FAQ&file=index&myfaq=yes&id_cat=1
    --Get your xvid build here: http://www.koepi.org/xvid.shtml
    You might use these for conversion:
    http://www.virtualdub.org/ (go for virtualdubmod for MPEG2 import_see below)
    http://gknot.doom9.org/ (you may not like this rippack-opt for mencoder_see below)
    -You can opt for a codec pack but they're more trouble than they're worth. You can do
    a custom install of klite codec pack and just pick what you need like Divx and uncheck
    everything else. Don't install divx player or anything from them. It's better to get the koepi
    xvid build also. WMP sucks!
    Try this for a media player (Media Player Classic):
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/

    Videohelp.com and Doom9 will soon be your new home.
    Also be sure to check out this fairly new tool for converting between various formats:
    http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/

    Whatevernevermind, Mar 26, 2006
  4. English Patient

    Guest

    I have kept data on hard drives for long periods in storage without any
    problems. My big problem is if the hatd drive becomes not supported in
    the future. Therefore a high quality USB dive may be the best solution.

    I would not rely on tapes for many reasons, especialy that after about
    3 to 5 years, the tape drive standards change. Personaly, I think tape
    will soon be phased out entirely.

    If a CD disk is not exposed to UV rays or excessive heat, it should
    last the longest from what I've read and have been told. The RW types,
    however, may not be perminent.

    I have data on the first generation of CD's that I burned, and it's
    still all there. These must be at least 7 years now.

    Jerry G.

    , Mar 26, 2006
  5. English Patient

    gangle Guest