Xubuntu Feisty...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Miguel, Apr 23, 2007.

  1. Miguel

    Miguel Guest

    FWIW....I'm wondering why I got all excited with last weeks release of
    Xubuntu Feisty. No visible changes at all. It must all be under the
    hood.

    However......

    PS/2 mouse not recognized (known bug - workaround is use previous
    kernel)

    Shutdown hanging (known bug)

    ext3 does fsck at boot due to above bug (pita cos 500MHz/192MB=slow
    boot)

    xfce menu editor still won't edit menu (major pita)

    current dmcrypt (1.0.4) still not working (fix needed - workaround is
    use 1.0.3)

    no obvious samba as in Ubuntu (or nothing obvious that I could find)

    .....and this is only after half a day of playing around. Think I'll
    leave it for a fortnight or so and let the community have their say.
    Then I'll update and see how things are.

    My main machine is still running Xubuntu Edgy flawlessly. 24/7 day in,
    day out. An absolutely fantastic operating system.

    I can guarantee Feisty will get there in the next month or so and that
    I'll be using it on my main machine by June. It just feels like a beta
    at the moment, not a release candidate.....almost feel like asking for
    a refund :)

    That's only my opinion, good people. If you're Linux-curious don't let
    me put you off. But for the moment, if your system can handle it, I'd
    suggest Ubuntu Feisty. Stay away from Xubuntu Feisty for a few more
    weeks.

    Regards
    Miguel

    Miguel, Apr 23, 2007

  2. Miguel

    XPD Guest

    "Miguel" <> wrote in message
    > FWIW....I'm wondering why I got all excited with last weeks release of
    > Xubuntu Feisty. No visible changes at all. It must all be under the
    > hood.

    Got it installed on a VM atm, seems ok but havent sat down and actually used
    it.

    XPD, Apr 23, 2007

  3. Miguel

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Miguel wrote:
    > FWIW....I'm wondering why I got all excited with last weeks release of
    > Xubuntu Feisty. No visible changes at all. It must all be under the
    > hood.
    >
    > However......
    >
    > PS/2 mouse not recognized (known bug - workaround is use previous
    > kernel)
    >
    > Shutdown hanging (known bug)
    >
    > ext3 does fsck at boot due to above bug (pita cos 500MHz/192MB=slow
    > boot)
    >
    > xfce menu editor still won't edit menu (major pita)
    >
    > current dmcrypt (1.0.4) still not working (fix needed - workaround is
    > use 1.0.3)
    >
    > no obvious samba as in Ubuntu (or nothing obvious that I could find)
    >
    > ....and this is only after half a day of playing around. Think I'll
    > leave it for a fortnight or so and let the community have their say.
    > Then I'll update and see how things are.
    >
    > My main machine is still running Xubuntu Edgy flawlessly. 24/7 day in,
    > day out. An absolutely fantastic operating system.
    >
    > I can guarantee Feisty will get there in the next month or so and that
    > I'll be using it on my main machine by June. It just feels like a beta
    > at the moment, not a release candidate.....almost feel like asking for
    > a refund :)
    >
    > That's only my opinion, good people. If you're Linux-curious don't let
    > me put you off. But for the moment, if your system can handle it, I'd
    > suggest Ubuntu Feisty. Stay away from Xubuntu Feisty for a few more
    > weeks.
    >
    > Regards
    > Miguel

    Thanks for the update Miguel, I was wondering why I'd not heard anything
    here. :)
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Apr 23, 2007
  4. Miguel

    bAZZ Guest

    On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 23:26:29 +1200, ~misfit~ <>
    wrote:

    > Miguel wrote:
    >> FWIW....I'm wondering why I got all excited with last weeks release of
    >> Xubuntu Feisty. No visible changes at all. It must all be under the
    >> hood.
    >>
    >> However......
    >>
    >> PS/2 mouse not recognized (known bug - workaround is use previous
    >> kernel)
    >>
    >> Shutdown hanging (known bug)
    >>
    >> ext3 does fsck at boot due to above bug (pita cos 500MHz/192MB=slow
    >> boot)
    >>
    >> xfce menu editor still won't edit menu (major pita)
    >>
    >> current dmcrypt (1.0.4) still not working (fix needed - workaround is
    >> use 1.0.3)
    >>
    >> no obvious samba as in Ubuntu (or nothing obvious that I could find)
    >>
    >> ....and this is only after half a day of playing around. Think I'll
    >> leave it for a fortnight or so and let the community have their say.
    >> Then I'll update and see how things are.
    >>
    >> My main machine is still running Xubuntu Edgy flawlessly. 24/7 day in,
    >> day out. An absolutely fantastic operating system.
    >>
    >> I can guarantee Feisty will get there in the next month or so and that
    >> I'll be using it on my main machine by June. It just feels like a beta
    >> at the moment, not a release candidate.....almost feel like asking for
    >> a refund :)
    >>
    >> That's only my opinion, good people. If you're Linux-curious don't let
    >> me put you off. But for the moment, if your system can handle it, I'd
    >> suggest Ubuntu Feisty. Stay away from Xubuntu Feisty for a few more
    >> weeks.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Miguel

    > Thanks for the update Miguel, I was wondering why I'd not heard anything
    > here. :)

    Heh Shaun.

    Taken the leap over to the other side yet ? hehe.

    I found when I was first playing with linux I went out and got a couple
    Linux texts in a Redhat retail bundle. Manuals (like good old days !!),
    extras and damn comprehensive hand holding with one of the Redhat manuals.
    It was so much easier to have a hard copy beside me to look up while
    trying to understand what was happening on screen. It really helped me as
    I'd always learnt from books in past LOL.

    Anyway if you are going to have a play and want em I'll send them up to
    ya. Think it is Redhat 6.5 or similar. Even though they are older editions
    alot of the commands and workings of the OS are still vewry similar so
    they are still great to reference when stuck and can't google they may
    well help.

    Yours if you want em. Drop me a line if your keen. I got this huge box
    full of linux stuff. Was going to chuck it on trademe cos there is like
    1-2 yrs editions linux format magazine and some other editions of
    developer and other mags with all the software and dvds. Then there are
    all the special edition mags with PHP,SQL etc etc. Tons crap I never ever
    got to read / use. I used to get them from work each month before they
    were destroyed and recycled. Used to hate to chuck away such expensive
    stuff so Mr Magpie I became. Then there are all the PCworld, APC mag,
    PCauthority etc. all with cds etc. Ended up having to get this huge set
    shelving to stack em all on. Must have a clean out one of these days......

    See Ya
    bAZZ

    bAZZ, Apr 24, 2007
  5. 4l the software and dvds. Then there are
    > all the special edition mags with PHP,SQL etc etc. Tons crap I never
    > ever got to read / use. I used to get them from work each month before
    > they were destroyed and recycled. Used to hate to chuck away such
    > expensive stuff so Mr Magpie I became. Then there are all the PCworld,
    > APC mag, PCauthority etc. all with cds etc. Ended up having to get this
    > huge set shelving to stack em all on. Must have a clean out one of these
    > days.....
    >
    > See Ya
    > bAZZ
    >
    > --Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

    Do you have Linux Format Issues May 2004, June 2004,July 2004 ?

    cheers
    Grant

    Grant Chivers, Apr 24, 2007
  6. Miguel

    ~misfit~ Guest

    bAZZ wrote:
> [...]

    > editions alot of the commands and workings of the OS are still vewry
    > similar so they are still great to reference when stuck and can't
    > google they may well help.
    >
    > Yours if you want em. Drop me a line if your keen. I got this huge box
    > full of linux stuff. Was going to chuck it on trademe cos there is
    > like 1-2 yrs editions linux format magazine and some other editions of
    > developer and other mags with all the software and dvds. Then there
    > are all the special edition mags with PHP,SQL etc etc. Tons crap I
    > never ever got to read / use. I used to get them from work each month
    > before they were destroyed and recycled. Used to hate to chuck away
    > such expensive stuff so Mr Magpie I became. Then there are all the
    > PCworld, APC mag, PCauthority etc. all with cds etc. Ended up having
    > to get this huge set shelving to stack em all on. Must have a clean

    Hey there Bazz,

    Thanks for the offer mate but I'm going to try to avoid the inevitable for a
    bit longer. From what I hear about Vista (from friends that have it, not
    from propoganda merchants) it's something I'm going to avoid like the
    plague. I'll stick with XP Pro for a while longer.

    I'd love (some of) those PCW, APC, PCA mags but they'd cost a bloody fortune
    to get here. I learned a lot from mags. Bought PC World from '94 to around
    '05 without missing an issue. Then, when it got to be food or magazine, I
    stopped buying it (and changed from The Listener to the TV Guide after 25
    years of The Listener). Now and then, when I have a dollar or two spare I
    still pick up a PC mag though. Got April's APC and, wouldn't ya know it, the
    DVD won't work. Emailed them at the supplied addy for DVD errors (and
    several other addys at the same domain) and just get bounces. Bastards.

    Cheers mate,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Apr 25, 2007
  7. Miguel

    Enkidu Guest

    bAZZ wrote:

    > I found when I was first playing with linux I went out and got a couple
    > Linux texts in a Redhat retail bundle. Manuals (like good old days !!),
    > extras and damn comprehensive hand holding with one of the Redhat
    > manuals. It was so much easier to have a hard copy beside me to look up
    > while trying to understand what was happening on screen. It really
    > helped me as I'd always learnt from books in past LOL.

    I never use paper when I can get it online. You can't cut and paste from
    a paper manual!

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Apr 25, 2007
  8. Miguel

    bAZZ Guest

    On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 23:08:44 +0100, Grant Chivers
    <> wrote:

    > 4l the software and dvds. Then there are
    >> all the special edition mags with PHP,SQL etc etc. Tons crap I never
    >> ever got to read / use. I used to get them from work each month before
    >> they were destroyed and recycled. Used to hate to chuck away such
    >> expensive stuff so Mr Magpie I became. Then there are all the PCworld,
    >> APC mag, PCauthority etc. all with cds etc. Ended up having to get this
    >> huge set shelving to stack em all on. Must have a clean out one of these
    >> days.....
    >>
    >> See Ya
    >> bAZZ
    >>
    >> --Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

    > Do you have Linux Format Issues May 2004, June 2004,July 2004 ?
    >
    > cheers
    > Grant

    Dunno Grant,

    Will have a look tonight as I really need to have a bit of a tidy up and
    sort out so this'll be good motivation to get em all out. Will post here
    when I see whats what.

    bAZZ

    bAZZ, Apr 25, 2007
  9. Miguel

    bAZZ Guest

    On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 01:40:14 +0100, ~misfit~ <>
    wrote:

    > Hey there Bazz,
    >
    > Thanks for the offer mate but I'm going to try to avoid the inevitable
    > for a
    > bit longer. From what I hear about Vista (from friends that have it, not
    > from propoganda merchants) it's something I'm going to avoid like the
    > plague. I'll stick with XP Pro for a while longer.
    >
    > I'd love (some of) those PCW, APC, PCA mags but they'd cost a bloody
    > fortune
    > to get here. I learned a lot from mags. Bought PC World from '94 to
    > around
    > '05 without missing an issue. Then, when it got to be food or magazine, I
    > stopped buying it (and changed from The Listener to the TV Guide after 25
    > years of The Listener). Now and then, when I have a dollar or two spare I
    > still pick up a PC mag though. Got April's APC and, wouldn't ya know it,
    > the
    > DVD won't work. Emailed them at the supplied addy for DVD errors (and
    > several other addys at the same domain) and just get bounces. Bastards.
    >
    > Cheers mate,

    Isn't that always the way <g>. I nearly bought one the other day. Till I
    saw it was like 12 odd dollars. I never realised just how much one would
    spend if you were to purchase retail copies every month. It would cost a
    small fortune and I took it for granted till we closed the doors and now
    have to buy magazines. Comics for kids are about 7-8 each and now they
    expect me to keep getting them for them. No chance. I might weigh a bundle
    up and see what the cost is with NZpost. Alot of the cd/dvd are all over
    the place but could probably match them up to mag. I used to flick them on
    to friends/family on dial up as there were some good software to be had on
    some and saved bandwith for them. I'm digging them out tonite so will see
    what is there.

    I think I will prob only buy the occasional issue nowdays for something
    specific.

    bAZZ

    bAZZ, Apr 25, 2007
  10. Miguel

    sam Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > bAZZ wrote:
    >>
    >> I found when I was first playing with linux I went out and got a
    >> couple Linux texts in a Redhat retail bundle. Manuals (like good old
    >> days !!), extras and damn comprehensive hand holding with one of the
    >> Redhat manuals. It was so much easier to have a hard copy beside me to
    >> look up while trying to understand what was happening on screen. It
    >> really helped me as I'd always learnt from books in past LOL.
    >>

    > I never use paper when I can get it online. You can't cut and paste from
    > a paper manual!
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Yes you can, but it makes a mess of your monitor.

    sam, Apr 25, 2007
  11. Miguel

    Peter Guest

    Grant Chivers wrote:

    > Do you have Linux Format Issues May 2004, June 2004,July 2004 ?

    I might have those around somewhere, if they're not thrown out. Pretty old
    now, though. What did you want them for?

    Peter

    Peter, Apr 25, 2007