    other regarding all these terms? could it be that Nikon's dTTL is the
    same as Canon's iTTL for example???

    Thanks!

    fake name, Feb 27, 2004

  2. fake name

    Vin Guest

    fake name <-network> wrote:
    > Hi, TTL = Through The Lens (at least that's what I think it means anyway)

    > other regarding all these terms? could it be that Nikon's dTTL is the
    > same as Canon's iTTL for example???

    I believe that dttl and ittl are for nikons, and attl and ettl are
    for canons. I cant really help with a site here, but I think nikon
    dttl is similar to canon ettl where the ttl meters on a preflash.
    Canon attl is (i think) the same as standard ttl in the nikon where
    they both meter OTF (Off the film, since digital sensors dont reflect
    light well, it doesnt meter corretly). Anyone Correct me if I wrong
    about this?

    Vin.

    --
    Vin
    Melbourne, Australia

    Vin, Feb 27, 2004

  3. fake name

    Robertwgross Guest

    Vin wrote:
    >I believe that dttl and ittl are for nikons, and attl and ettl are
    >for canons. I cant really help with a site here, but I think nikon
    >dttl is similar to canon ettl where the ttl meters on a preflash.
    >Canon attl is (i think) the same as standard ttl in the nikon where
    >they both meter OTF (Off the film, since digital sensors dont reflect
    >light well, it doesnt meter corretly). Anyone Correct me if I wrong
    >about this?

    That is about the same as my understanding. TTL and its variations were good in
    the film world, and E-TTL or its variations are good in the digital world. With
    a digital camera, they require a pre-flash with the main flash happening a tiny
    fraction of a split second later. For that reason, the older TTL flashes are
    not optimized for the newer digital cameras.

    ---Bob Gross---

    Robertwgross, Feb 27, 2004
  4. fake name

    fake name Guest

    In article <>,
    (Robertwgross) wrote:

    > Vin wrote:
    > >I believe that dttl and ittl are for nikons, and attl and ettl are
    > >for canons. I cant really help with a site here, but I think nikon
    > >dttl is similar to canon ettl where the ttl meters on a preflash.
    > >Canon attl is (i think) the same as standard ttl in the nikon where
    > >they both meter OTF (Off the film, since digital sensors dont reflect
    > >light well, it doesnt meter corretly). Anyone Correct me if I wrong
    > >about this?

    > That is about the same as my understanding. TTL and its variations were good
    > in
    > the film world, and E-TTL or its variations are good in the digital world.
    > With
    > a digital camera, they require a pre-flash with the main flash happening a
    > tiny
    > fraction of a split second later. For that reason, the older TTL flashes are
    > not optimized for the newer digital cameras.
    >
    > ---Bob Gross---

    Thanks to both of you, Vin and Bob!

    fake name, Feb 27, 2004