    This evening I got the Filipina, and I asked her where she was. She
    said "Manila". I asked her if she was working for Xtra or Yahoo, and
    she said for Telecom.
    Sue Bilstein, Aug 29, 2007

  2. Sue Bilstein

    Mark Cundall Guest

    Have they outsourced to philippines?

    Dell have moved there as well..

    Mark

    Mark Cundall, Aug 29, 2007

  3. Sue Bilstein

    Sue Bilstein Guest

    On Aug 29, 11:02 pm, "Mark Cundall" <>
    wrote:
    > Have they outsourced to philippines?
    >
    > Dell have moved there as well..

    Well that's the funny thing. As I said in my post, they have two
    helpdesks, one in NZ, one in the Phillipines.

    I suspect that the Phillipines one is actually Yahoo's.
    Sue Bilstein, Aug 29, 2007
  4. Sue Bilstein

    none Guest

    Sue Bilstein wrote:
    > Well that's the funny thing. As I said in my post, they have two
    > helpdesks, one in NZ, one in the Phillipines.
    >
    > I suspect that the Phillipines one is actually Yahoo's.

    No, it's Xtra's.

    They first outsourced dialup, then their broadband helpdesk. I believe
    the only staff left in NZ is the "higher tier" stuff, where the
    flowchart readers in Manila escalate to when they can't fix it.

    http://stuff.co.nz/AAMB7/aamsz=275x15_TEXTLINK/4122147a13.html
    none, Aug 30, 2007
  5. Sue Bilstein

    Vista Guest

    >I noticed a few days ago, during the Bubble Down the Drain fiasco,
    > that Xtra helpdesk seems to have two personalities.
    >
    > Either you get NZ music greatest hits for Music On Hold, and a Kiwi
    > CSR; or you get anonymous jazz with frequent apology-announcements,
    > and a Filipina CSR.
    >
    > This evening I got the Filipina, and I asked her where she was. She
    > said "Manila". I asked her if she was working for Xtra or Yahoo, and
    > she said for Telecom.

    I thought one was for dialup, and their bradband one was in NZ

    They should only provide email support as I find telephone support a waste
    of time.
    Vista, Aug 30, 2007
  6. Sue Bilstein

    none Guest

    Vista wrote:
    > I thought one was for dialup, and their bradband one was in NZ
    >
    > They should only provide email support as I find telephone support a waste
    > of time.

    Dear Xtra,

    It would seem my broadband isn't working, could you please help me check
    my settings.

    I hope you get this e-mail, though I'm not sure if you will, as I think
    my Internet Express Mail uses my broadband to send e-letters.

    Thanks in advance.

    Customer x
    none, Aug 30, 2007
  7. Sue Bilstein

    a_l_p Guest

    none wrote:
    > Vista wrote:
    >
    >> I thought one was for dialup, and their bradband one was in NZ
    >>
    >> They should only provide email support as I find telephone support a
    >> waste of time.

    > Dear Xtra,
    >
    > It would seem my broadband isn't working, could you please help me check
    > my settings.
    >
    > I hope you get this e-mail, though I'm not sure if you will, as I think
    > my Internet Express Mail uses my broadband to send e-letters.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Customer x

    Inappropriate laughter: soup came out my nose.

    A L P
    a_l_p, Aug 30, 2007
  8. On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 14:53:12 +1200, a_l_p <> wrote
    in <news:fb5bd5$ira$>:

    > none wrote:
    >> Vista wrote:
    >>
    >>> I thought one was for dialup, and their bradband one was in NZ
    >>>
    >>> They should only provide email support as I find telephone support a
    >>> waste of time.

    >> Dear Xtra,
    >>
    >> It would seem my broadband isn't working, could you please help me check
    >> my settings.
    >>
    >> I hope you get this e-mail, though I'm not sure if you will, as I think
    >> my Internet Express Mail uses my broadband to send e-letters.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> Customer x

    > Inappropriate laughter: soup came out my nose.

    Damn it, Agnes, you're not supposed to SNORT the stuff!
    --
    Nicolaas.

    .... At no time is freedom of speech more precious than when a man hits his
    thumb with a hammer!
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Aug 30, 2007
  9. Sue Bilstein

    Gordon Guest

    On 2007-08-29, Sue Bilstein <> wrote:
    > I noticed a few days ago, during the Bubble Down the Drain fiasco,
    > that Xtra helpdesk seems to have two personalities.
    >
    > Either you get NZ music greatest hits for Music On Hold, and a Kiwi
    > CSR; or you get anonymous jazz with frequent apology-announcements,
    > and a Filipina CSR.

    Philippineo? Fillapino is the language.

    > This evening I got the Filipina, and I asked her where she was. She
    > said "Manila". I asked her if she was working for Xtra or Yahoo, and
    > she said for Telecom.

    I work for money, does not everyone
    Gordon, Aug 30, 2007
  10. Sue Bilstein

    Donchano Guest

    On 30 Aug 2007 06:39:01 GMT, Gordon <> magnanimously
    proffered:

    >On 2007-08-29, Sue Bilstein <> wrote:
    >> I noticed a few days ago, during the Bubble Down the Drain fiasco,
    >> that Xtra helpdesk seems to have two personalities.
    >>
    >> Either you get NZ music greatest hits for Music On Hold, and a Kiwi
    >> CSR; or you get anonymous jazz with frequent apology-announcements,
    >> and a Filipina CSR.
    >>

    >Philippineo? Fillapino is the language.

    The official language of the Philippines is Filipino (formerly
    "Pilipino" - both spelled with one "L").

    A Philippine male is a Filipino and a Philippine female is a Filipino.
    So Sue was correct. And just to confuse things further, people of
    Philippine descent are called Filipinos.

    >> This evening I got the Filipina, and I asked her where she was. She
    >> said "Manila". I asked her if she was working for Xtra or Yahoo, and
    >> she said for Telecom.

    >I work for money, does not everyone

    Au contraire. I work for pleasure and the money I earn is part of that
    pleasure.
    Donchano, Aug 30, 2007
  11. On 30 Aug 2007 06:39:01 GMT, Gordon <> wrote in

    > On 2007-08-29, Sue Bilstein <> wrote:
    >> I noticed a few days ago, during the Bubble Down the Drain fiasco,
    >> that Xtra helpdesk seems to have two personalities.
    >>
    >> Either you get NZ music greatest hits for Music On Hold, and a Kiwi
    >> CSR; or you get anonymous jazz with frequent apology-announcements,
    >> and a Filipina CSR.
    >>

    > Philippineo? Fillapino is the language.

    I always understood that Filipino/Philippino was the nationality, and the
    language was Tagalog. But I reserve the right to be wrong.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Aug 30, 2007
  12. Sue Bilstein

    Donchano Guest

    On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 19:01:23 +1200, Donchano
    <> magnanimously proffered:

    >On 30 Aug 2007 06:39:01 GMT, Gordon <> magnanimously
    >proffered:
    >
    >>On 2007-08-29, Sue Bilstein <> wrote:
    >>> I noticed a few days ago, during the Bubble Down the Drain fiasco,
    >>> that Xtra helpdesk seems to have two personalities.
    >>>
    >>> Either you get NZ music greatest hits for Music On Hold, and a Kiwi
    >>> CSR; or you get anonymous jazz with frequent apology-announcements,
    >>> and a Filipina CSR.
    >>>

    >>Philippineo? Fillapino is the language.

    >The official language of the Philippines is Filipino (formerly
    >"Pilipino" - both spelled with one "L").
    >
    >A Philippine male is a Filipino and a Philippine female is a Filipino.
    >So Sue was correct. And just to confuse things further, people of
    >Philippine descent are called Filipinos.

    That will teach me to be a smart ass. A Philippine female is a
    FILIPINA. Duhhh ...
    Donchano, Aug 30, 2007
  13. Sue Bilstein

    Geoff Guest

    Donchano wrote:
    > On 30 Aug 2007 06:39:01 GMT, Gordon <> magnanimously
    > proffered:
    >
    >> On 2007-08-29, Sue Bilstein <> wrote:
    >>> I noticed a few days ago, during the Bubble Down the Drain fiasco,
    >>> that Xtra helpdesk seems to have two personalities.
    >>>
    >>> Either you get NZ music greatest hits for Music On Hold, and a Kiwi
    >>> CSR; or you get anonymous jazz with frequent apology-announcements,
    >>> and a Filipina CSR.
    >>>

    >> Philippineo? Fillapino is the language.

    > The official language of the Philippines is Filipino (formerly
    > "Pilipino" - both spelled with one "L").
    >
    > A Philippine male is a Filipino and a Philippine female is a Filipino.

    No, female is Filipina.

    >>> This evening I got the Filipina, and I asked her where she was. She
    >>> said "Manila". I asked her if she was working for Xtra or Yahoo,
    >>> and she said for Telecom.

    She could have been Polish or Canadian too.

    geoff
    Geoff, Sep 1, 2007
  14. Sue Bilstein

    Donchano Guest

    On Sat, 1 Sep 2007 15:05:14 +1200, "Geoff" <>
    magnanimously proffered:

    >Donchano wrote:
    >> On 30 Aug 2007 06:39:01 GMT, Gordon <> magnanimously
    >> proffered:

    >>> Philippineo? Fillapino is the language.

    >> The official language of the Philippines is Filipino (formerly
    >> "Pilipino" - both spelled with one "L").
    >>
    >> A Philippine male is a Filipino and a Philippine female is a Filipino.

    >No, female is Filipina.

    Which is why I made the correction two days ago. ;-)
    Donchano, Sep 1, 2007
  15. In message <>, Geoff wrote:

    > Donchano wrote:
    >
    >> A Philippine male is a Filipino and a Philippine female is a Filipino.

    > No, female is Filipina.

    So what's the term for referring to Filipinos generally?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 1, 2007
  16. Sue Bilstein

    Donchano Guest

    On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 15:29:24 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> magnanimously proffered:

    >In message <>, Geoff wrote:
    >
    >> Donchano wrote:
    >>
    >>> A Philippine male is a Filipino and a Philippine female is a Filipino.

    >> No, female is Filipina.

    >So what's the term for referring to Filipinos generally?

    As I posted earlier: " people of Philippine descent are called
    Filipinos." That includes citizens of the Philippines as well as
    people of Philippine descent who live in other places, such as the
    USA.
    Donchano, Sep 1, 2007
  17. Sue Bilstein

    Jerry Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, Geoff wrote:
    >
    >> Donchano wrote:
    >>
    >>> A Philippine male is a Filipino and a Philippine female is a Filipino.

    >> No, female is Filipina.

    > So what's the term for referring to Filipinos generally?

    Well, back in my USMC days.... never mind, not exactly PC
    Jerry, Sep 1, 2007
  18. Sue Bilstein

    Donchano Guest

    On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 15:29:24 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> magnanimously proffered:

    >In message <>, Geoff wrote:
    >
    >> Donchano wrote:
    >>
    >>> A Philippine male is a Filipino and a Philippine female is a Filipino.

    >> No, female is Filipina.

    >So what's the term for referring to Filipinos generally?

    Didn't read your question correctly. The answer is: Filipinos.
    Generally, Filipinos are referred to as Filipinos. Generally.
    Donchano, Sep 1, 2007
  19. Sue Bilstein

    Sue Bilstein Guest

    wrote:

    > She could have been Polish or Canadian too.

    Not with that accent! It's very distinctive. I've worked with many
    Filipinos over the years.
    Sue Bilstein, Sep 1, 2007
  20. Sue Bilstein

    Sue Bilstein Guest

    On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 17:03:35 +1200, Jerry
    <> wrote:
    >Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> No, female is Filipina.

    >> So what's the term for referring to Filipinos generally?

    >Well, back in my USMC days.... never mind, not exactly PC

    Gugus, right?

    In general I admire and respect Filipinos. They are good with people,
    and most of the ones I've known have been clever and competent as
    well. (The few who are good with people, lazy and clueless rise
    immediately into management roles). They are also tough and brave.
    IME, that is.
    Sue Bilstein, Sep 1, 2007