    I hate the idea of having my speed dropped to 64kbs when I go over 1
    gig, so I'll probably upgrade to a 3 gig plan. Is this playing into
    Xtra's hands?

    Mrs Beeble Brock, Oct 27, 2004

  2. Mrs Beeble Brock

    Chris Hope Guest

    Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:

    > So what are other Jetstream users going to do? Status quo or change plans?
    >
    > I hate the idea of having my speed dropped to 64kbs when I go over 1
    > gig, so I'll probably upgrade to a 3 gig plan. Is this playing into
    > Xtra's hands?

    I changed from the 10GB 256k plan to the 10GB 2mb plan. It was upgraded
    yesterday morning sometime before 4am. I also hate the idea of being
    dropped to 64k; if it was to 256k I would be perfectly happy.

    I'm considering either changing to the Orcon 256k flat rate (which features
    no drop in bandwidth) or seeing about setting them up as a second plan (if
    this is possible) to fall back on so I can take advantage of high speed
    during the day (Telecom) and unlimited downloads overnight (Orcon), which
    is when I tend to pull most of my traffic down. The speed of the overnight
    stuff doesn't concern me particularly as it's mainly for a remote backup
    system.

    Chris Hope, Oct 27, 2004

  3. Mmm. You're lucky to be in an area with a choice of providers. Jetstream
    is, to my knowledge, the only dsl provier in Queenstown. But I guess I
    could be using dialup over night for downloading - then again the
    electricity costs from leaving the PC on permanently would probably
    outweigh the savings on Jetstream.

    I had previously been on the 500 meg 200mps plan but swapped to a plan
    with slower speed and higher volume - never really noticed the speed
    difference to be honest but I can understand others would.

    Mrs Beeble Brock, Oct 27, 2004
  4. Mrs Beeble Brock

    Chris Hope Guest

    Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:

    >>>So what are other Jetstream users going to do? Status quo or change
    >>>plans?
    >>>
    >>>I hate the idea of having my speed dropped to 64kbs when I go over 1
    >>>gig, so I'll probably upgrade to a 3 gig plan. Is this playing into
    >>>Xtra's hands?

    >> I changed from the 10GB 256k plan to the 10GB 2mb plan. It was upgraded
    >> yesterday morning sometime before 4am. I also hate the idea of being
    >> dropped to 64k; if it was to 256k I would be perfectly happy.
    >>
    >> I'm considering either changing to the Orcon 256k flat rate (which
    >> features no drop in bandwidth) or seeing about setting them up as a
    >> second plan (if this is possible) to fall back on so I can take advantage
    >> of high speed during the day (Telecom) and unlimited downloads overnight
    >> (Orcon), which is when I tend to pull most of my traffic down. The speed
    >> of the overnight stuff doesn't concern me particularly as it's mainly for
    >> a remote backup system.
    >>

    > Mmm. You're lucky to be in an area with a choice of providers. Jetstream
    > is, to my knowledge, the only dsl provier in Queenstown. But I guess I
    > could be using dialup over night for downloading - then again the
    > electricity costs from leaving the PC on permanently would probably
    > outweigh the savings on Jetstream.
    >
    > I had previously been on the 500 meg 200mps plan but swapped to a plan
    > with slower speed and higher volume - never really noticed the speed
    > difference to be honest but I can understand others would.

    I can't see why you wouldn't be able to get an Orcon account just because
    you're in Queenstown. You should give them a call on 0508 467 266 and find
    out.

    You get 256k with no cap for $49.95 per month. You only pay Orcon so there
    won't be anything additional on your Telecom bill for Jetstream.

    More info at http://www.orcon.net.nz/products/bitstream/

    I've never actually used them so can't comment on their service as an ISP,
    but from my experience of various ISPs they're pretty much all the same and
    all go through their ups and downs.

    Chris Hope, Oct 28, 2004
  5. Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:
    > Mmm. You're lucky to be in an area with a choice of providers. Jetstream
    > is, to my knowledge, the only dsl provier in Queenstown.

    Telecom is the only DSL provider anywhere, but they now wholesale it to
    a number of other ISP's, which means you can change if you wish.

    There is also wireless in queenstown depending on where you are.... if
    you can see "the gleeb", then you can probably see the antenna

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 28, 2004
  6. Mrs Beeble Brock

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Mrs Beeble Brock said the following on 28/10/2004 11:33:
    > So what are other Jetstream users going to do? Status quo or change plans?
    >
    > I hate the idea of having my speed dropped to 64kbs when I go over 1
    > gig, so I'll probably upgrade to a 3 gig plan. Is this playing into
    > Xtra's hands?

    Using Xtra full stop is playing into thier hands

    --
    He was so narrow-minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.
    Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E | |

    Collector_NZ, Oct 28, 2004
  7. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > There is also wireless in queenstown depending on where you are.... if
    > you can see "the gleeb", then you can probably see the antenna

    looking through my address book...
    Name: ap1.qtn1.synaptic.net.nz
    Address: 202.150.101.188

    my address book looks a bit odd these days :/

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 28, 2004
  8. Mrs Beeble Brock

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 11:33:59 +1300, Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:

    > So what are other Jetstream users going to do? Status quo or change plans?
    >
    > I hate the idea of having my speed dropped to 64kbs when I go over 1
    > gig, so I'll probably upgrade to a 3 gig plan. Is this playing into
    > Xtra's hands?

    No, they are offering you a range of services. As in, Would you like and
    extra 2GB with that?

    Zoom, out and see how Telecom, is having problems getting onto the level
    playing field. That is more important.

    Gordon, Oct 28, 2004
  9. Mrs Beeble Brock

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 11:40:16 +1300, Chris Hope wrote:

    > I changed from the 10GB 256k plan to the 10GB 2mb plan. It was upgraded
    > yesterday morning sometime before 4am. I also hate the idea of being
    > dropped to 64k; if it was to 256k I would be perfectly happy.

    You are on the hook, your wallet is about to be reeled in.

    To me, the faster the connection, the higher, if any the cap needs to be.

    WTF is the point is having a sports car, just to be given 10 liters of
    fuel for the month?

    The choice is yours, not mine.

    Gordon, Oct 28, 2004
  10. Mrs Beeble Brock

    Guest

    I live in Auckland. I was happy to receive word from Telecom (NZ) that
    my Ihug/Jetstream 256/128 unlimited plan ($59.95+$10/month) is to be
    upgraded to 2mb at no extra cost from November or December. I noted
    that the new 2mb plan would have a 10gb monthly limit.

    My usage typically is 2-2.5gb/month but when I checked last week I see
    that my usage in July had jumped to 6gb+ and 9gb+ in August. For the
    first 7 days of the current period (Sept/Oct) it is already 3gb+ ... so
    heading for 12gb this month.

    The puzzle is this: as far as I can determine, our pattern of usage has
    not changed. We are not using the internet more than usual and we are
    not downloading large files ... or any more than in the past.

    I wonder whether any other Telecom customers have had a similar
    experience?

    I am just a little suspicious that Telecom is playing some kind of game
    in advance of the Jetstream new plan.

    Rusky

    , Oct 28, 2004
  11. Well that's what I thought too Rusky - I know I download a few
    programmes and MP3s but definitely no more than usual.

    I have actually played into their hands by changing to the 3 gig plan.
    But I have no choice - even if I switch to a different provider, I still
    end up using Telecom since Whoosh are not available here.

    Mrs Beeble Brock, Oct 28, 2004
  12. Which Wireless is in Queenstown? That is, one who does not subcontract
    to Xtra?

    Mrs Beeble Brock, Oct 28, 2004
  13. Mrs Beeble Brock

    Guest

    On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 22:38:19 -0700, ruskelly wrote:

    > The puzzle is this: as far as I can determine, our pattern of usage has
    > not changed. We are not using the internet more than usual and we are
    > not downloading large files ... or any more than in the past.

    Have you checked for viruses?

    Divine

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."

    , Oct 28, 2004
  14. Yes and found six with Micro Trend that Norton AV didn't find despite
    having done a live update 10 minutes prior. I should get a firewall but
    due to networked PCs, win fax etc it needs tech expert and I am waiting
    for the need to become urgent or my finances to improve, whichever
    happens first.

    Mrs Beeble Brock, Oct 28, 2004
  15. Mrs Beeble Brock

    Paul Guest

    Chris Hope wrote:
    > Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:
    >

    >>So what are other Jetstream users going to do? Status quo or change plans?
    >>
    >>I hate the idea of having my speed dropped to 64kbs when I go over 1
    >>gig, so I'll probably upgrade to a 3 gig plan. Is this playing into
    >>Xtra's hands?

    > I changed from the 10GB 256k plan to the 10GB 2mb plan. It was upgraded
    > yesterday morning sometime before 4am. I also hate the idea of being
    > dropped to 64k; if it was to 256k I would be perfectly happy.
    >
    > I'm considering either changing to the Orcon 256k flat rate (which features
    > no drop in bandwidth) or seeing about setting them up as a second plan (if
    > this is possible) to fall back on so I can take advantage of high speed
    > during the day (Telecom) and unlimited downloads overnight (Orcon), which
    > is when I tend to pull most of my traffic down. The speed of the overnight
    > stuff doesn't concern me particularly as it's mainly for a remote backup
    > system.

    RE a 2nd plan... I *heard* that Telecom is changing the way it measures
    traffic.

    It will no longer be measured against your domain, i.e.
    @paradise.net.nz, @orcon.net.nz. Instead, it's going to be measured
    against your physical termination point - a.k.a. you phone line.

    If you swap from one provider to another, the traffic keeps ticking over.

    PLS CORRECT ME... I'm hazy on this.

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 28, 2004
  16. Mrs Beeble Brock

    Chris Hope Guest

    Paul wrote:

    > Chris Hope wrote:
    >> Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:
    >>

    >>>So what are other Jetstream users going to do? Status quo or change
    >>>plans?
    >>>
    >>>I hate the idea of having my speed dropped to 64kbs when I go over 1
    >>>gig, so I'll probably upgrade to a 3 gig plan. Is this playing into
    >>>Xtra's hands?

    >> I changed from the 10GB 256k plan to the 10GB 2mb plan. It was upgraded
    >> yesterday morning sometime before 4am. I also hate the idea of being
    >> dropped to 64k; if it was to 256k I would be perfectly happy.
    >>
    >> I'm considering either changing to the Orcon 256k flat rate (which
    >> features no drop in bandwidth) or seeing about setting them up as a
    >> second plan (if this is possible) to fall back on so I can take advantage
    >> of high speed during the day (Telecom) and unlimited downloads overnight
    >> (Orcon), which is when I tend to pull most of my traffic down. The speed
    >> of the overnight stuff doesn't concern me particularly as it's mainly for
    >> a remote backup system.
    >>

    > RE a 2nd plan... I *heard* that Telecom is changing the way it measures
    > traffic.
    >
    > It will no longer be measured against your domain, i.e.
    > @paradise.net.nz, @orcon.net.nz. Instead, it's going to be measured
    > against your physical termination point - a.k.a. you phone line.
    >
    > If you swap from one provider to another, the traffic keeps ticking over.
    >
    > PLS CORRECT ME... I'm hazy on this.

    While it wouldn't surprise me if you are correct, it seems pretty crazy
    really, as your login to your ISP should really have nothing to do with
    your phone line. This raises an interesting question though, because with
    Orcon's 256k plan you aren't billed at all by Telecom. I'll probably get
    around to calling Orcon and asking them about these questions a little
    later in the month when I get closer to the cap.

    Chris Hope, Oct 28, 2004
  17. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 28, 2004
  18. Thanks for the link. ALthough there are no traffic limits, I doubt I'd
    ever need more than 3 gig per month (I hope) so Symaptic would work out
    to be considerably more expensive than Xtra. But it's good to know there
    is competition.

    Mrs Beeble Brock, Oct 29, 2004
  19. Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:
    > Thanks for the link. ALthough there are no traffic limits, I doubt I'd
    > ever need more than 3 gig per month (I hope) so Symaptic would work out
    > to be considerably more expensive than Xtra. But it's good to know there
    > is competition.

    fair enough.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 29, 2004
  20. In article <>,
    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote:

    >Telecom is the only DSL provider anywhere...

    No, TelstraClear do have their own network, which is available at least
    in the CBDs of the larger centres.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Oct 29, 2004