Xtra's "managed" speeds

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Jack Spratt, Oct 17, 2009.

  1. Jack Spratt

    Jack Spratt Guest

    No doubt they are/will screw down P2P traffic but....
    Does anyone know if Xtra give lower priorities to certain traffic
    types (as well as manage "speeds" at busy times)?
    Recently I had to abandon the Go Large Plan as they said it would
    cease to be.
    I moved to the no data limit and "managed" speed plan.
    My average d/l speed is around 1.2 - 1.5Kbps when tested on Telecoms
    broadband speed tests.
    However if I download a file from sources that used to give me
    120+Kbps speeds I now sit on around 20
    Now whenever I play online Poker I lag so bad as to make the game
    unplayable.
    I can no longer (seemingly) use my NNTP client to read Usenet hence my
    posting this through Google.
    I can browse the web just fine and YouTube videos (for example) run
    just fine with acceptable speeds.
    Anything outside of http, pop, smtp seems to be suffering big time.
    Am I being "managed"?

    Also, what speeds do those of you on the fixed data limit but
    unmanaged speeds enjoy?

    Jack Spratt, Oct 17, 2009

  2. Jack Spratt

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-10-17, Jack Spratt <> wrote:
    > No doubt they are/will screw down P2P traffic but....
    > Does anyone know if Xtra give lower priorities to certain traffic
    > types (as well as manage "speeds" at busy times)?
    > Recently I had to abandon the Go Large Plan as they said it would
    > cease to be.
    > I moved to the no data limit and "managed" speed plan.
    > My average d/l speed is around 1.2 - 1.5Kbps when tested on Telecoms
    > broadband speed tests.
    > However if I download a file from sources that used to give me
    > 120+Kbps speeds I now sit on around 20
    > Now whenever I play online Poker I lag so bad as to make the game
    > unplayable.
    > I can no longer (seemingly) use my NNTP client to read Usenet hence my
    > posting this through Google.
    > I can browse the web just fine and YouTube videos (for example) run
    > just fine with acceptable speeds.
    > Anything outside of http, pop, smtp seems to be suffering big time.
    > Am I being "managed"?
    >
    > Also, what speeds do those of you on the fixed data limit but
    > unmanaged speeds enjoy?

    i have no real problem with the speed of p2p, for it goes 24/7. A bit like
    the water and power supply to ones place. Or the roads for that matter. If
    I am downloading a Creative Commons copyrighted movie, (yes they do exist,
    thanks Mininova), I care not if it arrives now! For it is "project" I am
    receiving via the Internet. To date it is free of advertisments. yes!

    Gordon, Oct 18, 2009

  3. On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 10:00:02 +1300, "geoff" <>
    wrote:

    >Jack Spratt wrote:
    >> No doubt they are/will screw down P2P traffic but....
    >> Does anyone know if Xtra give lower priorities to certain traffic
    >> types (as well as manage "speeds" at busy times)?
    >> Recently I had to abandon the Go Large Plan as they said it would
    >> cease to be.
    >> I moved to the no data limit and "managed" speed plan.
    >> My average d/l speed is around 1.2 - 1.5Kbps when tested on Telecoms
    >> broadband speed tests.
    >> However if I download a file from sources that used to give me
    >> 120+Kbps speeds I now sit on around 20
    >> Now whenever I play online Poker I lag so bad as to make the game
    >> unplayable.
    >> I can no longer (seemingly) use my NNTP client to read Usenet hence my
    >> posting this through Google.
    >> I can browse the web just fine and YouTube videos (for example) run
    >> just fine with acceptable speeds.
    >> Anything outside of http, pop, smtp seems to be suffering big time.
    >> Am I being "managed"?
    >>
    >> Also, what speeds do those of you on the fixed data limit but
    >> unmanaged speeds enjoy?

    >GoLarge seemed to have FTP pegged to about 500kbps max, as well as USNET
    >binaries even slower .
    >
    >But if you want to view vapid crap on YouTube, you ae OK for speed !
    >
    >geoff

    Any idea if they allow full speed in the depths of the night? Or is
    it restricted 24/7?

    Stephen Worthington, Oct 19, 2009
  4. Jack Spratt

    Donchano Guest

    On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 21:30:58 +1300, Stephen Worthington
    <34.nz56.remove_numbers> shouted from the highest
    rooftop:

    >On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 10:00:02 +1300, "geoff" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Jack Spratt wrote:
    >>> No doubt they are/will screw down P2P traffic but....
    >>> Does anyone know if Xtra give lower priorities to certain traffic
    >>> types (as well as manage "speeds" at busy times)?
    >>> Recently I had to abandon the Go Large Plan as they said it would
    >>> cease to be.
    >>> I moved to the no data limit and "managed" speed plan.
    >>> My average d/l speed is around 1.2 - 1.5Kbps when tested on Telecoms
    >>> broadband speed tests.
    >>> However if I download a file from sources that used to give me
    >>> 120+Kbps speeds I now sit on around 20
    >>> Now whenever I play online Poker I lag so bad as to make the game
    >>> unplayable.
    >>> I can no longer (seemingly) use my NNTP client to read Usenet hence my
    >>> posting this through Google.
    >>> I can browse the web just fine and YouTube videos (for example) run
    >>> just fine with acceptable speeds.
    >>> Anything outside of http, pop, smtp seems to be suffering big time.
    >>> Am I being "managed"?
    >>>
    >>> Also, what speeds do those of you on the fixed data limit but
    >>> unmanaged speeds enjoy?

    >>GoLarge seemed to have FTP pegged to about 500kbps max, as well as USNET
    >>binaries even slower .
    >>
    >>But if you want to view vapid crap on YouTube, you ae OK for speed !
    >>
    >>geoff

    >Any idea if they allow full speed in the depths of the night? Or is
    >it restricted 24/7?

    In theory, "Big Time" is only supposed to be throttled during "peak
    times." Or to quote Telecom:

    "However, because of this we manage all the traffic on Big
    Time. When the network is busy (generally inside the hours of 9am and
    2am) you may noticed reduced speeds; in particular you are likely to
    see reduced speeds in relation to file sharing."

    That's similar to what Xtra promised with "Go Large" when it was
    launched. In practice, however, speeds were throttled back to what
    you'd expect from a dial-up connection most of the time. Which is why
    customers such as me made formal complaints to the Commerce Commission
    and why the commission forced Telecom-Xtra to refund some piddling
    amount to Go Large customers and withdraw the plan.

    I'm going to take Telecom's offer to trial Big Time for the same price
    as Go Large ($49.95mo) to see if they pull the same crap as last time.
    If so, I'll make another formal complaint and shift to the 10gig
    "Explorer" plan because I can easily discipline myself to stay within
    that monthly limit as long as an old friend doesn't keep sending me
    huge multi-megabyte files showing sunsets and cute animals.

    Donchano, Oct 20, 2009