Xtra's Damage Control - Too Little Too Late

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Donchano, Aug 24, 2007.

  1. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    By now, many of you will have received the same Xtra email I did
    earlier today and are probably wondering, like I am, why the braindead
    wankers didn't send this out BEFORE the weekend's email fiasco - and
    why it's taken them sooooooo long to send it AFTER it happened?

    In addition, I've noticed that Telecom and Xtra seem to have become
    one in the same again, after years of insisting that they were two
    separate entities and using that as an excuse not to take
    responsibility for each other's ****-ups. Could this signal a more
    honest, customer driven epoch in Telecom's slow, almost glacial change
    from being a government department (and acting like one) to being a
    genuine private enterprise? Somehow I doubt it ...

    Subject: Important - Your Xtra Email Settings

    Dear Customer

    Important - Your Xtra Email Settings need to be checked and possibly
    reset.

    We are aware that some customers have been experiencing difficulties
    sending Xtra email. If you have been having problems, this email may
    be able to help you resolve them.

    We have noticed that you have unsuccessfully attempted to send email
    via Xtra over the last couple of days. It may be that your settings
    have been changed incorrectly or have stopped working and are
    therefore causing these problems.

    To resolve this current issue we would encourage you to check your
    settings and re-set them to enable you to send email again. The
    correct settings can be found at
    http://xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4155-7780597,0.html

    Please note it is important that you follow the instructions carefully
    as the settings need to be followed exactly to ensure that your mail
    is set up correctly.

    If you continue to have problems sending email please contact our
    Helpdesk on 0800 110 090.

    Kind Regards

    Team @ Xtra


    In view of Telecom's announcement about compensation to users over the
    weekend's email fiasco (http://www.stuff.co.nz/4176846a10.html), I
    would file this under "Too Little Too Late."
     
    Donchano, Aug 24, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Donchano

    Cima Guest


    >
    >Important - Your Xtra Email Settings need to be checked and possibly
    >reset.



    Hmmm, I was helping someone this morning, and this:

    In the 'Outgoing mail (SMTP): field, enter send.xtra.co.nz
    ^^^^
    didn't work (I changed the ports as per the instructions). Went back to
    smtp.xtra.co.nz and it worked. I sent a message from my Paradise webmail to them
    and it ended up in their fuckin SPAM folder on that ridiculous Bubblebullshit
    Webmail! Total ballsup. She hasn't received any emails all week, a couple were
    in the spam folder though, but where the hell are the rest of them.
     
    Cima, Aug 24, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Donchano

    Jerry Guest

    Donchano wrote:
    > By now, many of you will have received the same Xtra email I did
    > earlier today and are probably wondering, like I am, why the braindead
    > wankers didn't send this out BEFORE the weekend's email fiasco - and
    > why it's taken them sooooooo long to send it AFTER it happened?
    >
    > In addition, I've noticed that Telecom and Xtra seem to have become
    > one in the same again, after years of insisting that they were two
    > separate entities and using that as an excuse not to take
    > responsibility for each other's ****-ups. Could this signal a more
    > honest, customer driven epoch in Telecom's slow, almost glacial change
    > from being a government department (and acting like one) to being a
    > genuine private enterprise? Somehow I doubt it ...
    >
    > Subject: Important - Your Xtra Email Settings
    >
    > Dear Customer
    >
    > Important - Your Xtra Email Settings need to be checked and possibly
    > reset.
    >
    > We are aware that some customers have been experiencing difficulties
    > sending Xtra email. If you have been having problems, this email may
    > be able to help you resolve them.
    >
    > We have noticed that you have unsuccessfully attempted to send email
    > via Xtra over the last couple of days. It may be that your settings
    > have been changed incorrectly or have stopped working and are
    > therefore causing these problems.
    >
    > To resolve this current issue we would encourage you to check your
    > settings and re-set them to enable you to send email again. The
    > correct settings can be found at
    > http://xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4155-7780597,0.html
    >
    > Please note it is important that you follow the instructions carefully
    > as the settings need to be followed exactly to ensure that your mail
    > is set up correctly.
    >
    > If you continue to have problems sending email please contact our
    > Helpdesk on 0800 110 090.
    >
    > Kind Regards
    >
    > Team @ Xtra
    >
    >
    > In view of Telecom's announcement about compensation to users over the
    > weekend's email fiasco (http://www.stuff.co.nz/4176846a10.html), I
    > would file this under "Too Little Too Late."


    Xtra did away with their news servers, perhaps e-mail will be the next
    non-essential service to go
     
    Jerry, Aug 24, 2007
    #3
  4. Donchano

    BTMO Guest

    "Donchano" <> wrote

    > In view of Telecom's announcement about compensation to users over the
    > weekend's email fiasco (http://www.stuff.co.nz/4176846a10.html), I
    > would file this under "Too Little Too Late."


    Xtra is one of those funny companies that believe that the market is peopled
    by idiots, and that the customers should be glad to get anything.

    Boneheads...
     
    BTMO, Aug 24, 2007
    #4
  5. Donchano

    Matty F Guest

    On Aug 24, 2:30 pm, Cima <> wrote:
    > >Important - Your Xtra Email Settings need to be checked and possibly
    > >reset.

    >
    > Hmmm, I was helping someone this morning, and this:
    >
    > In the 'Outgoing mail (SMTP): field, enter send.xtra.co.nz
    > ^^^^
    > didn't work (I changed the ports as per the instructions). Went back tosmtp.xtra.co.nzand it worked.


    Same here. "send.xtra.co.nz" just times out.
    "smtp.xtra.co.nz" still works fine as it has done for years.
    So now 100,000 people are going to mess up their pop mail and there'll
    be another 80 pages of complaints in the Herald about that.
     
    Matty F, Aug 24, 2007
    #5
  6. Donchano

    Geoff Guest

    Jerry wrote:

    >
    > Xtra did away with their news servers, perhaps e-mail will be the next
    > non-essential service to go


    Not only did they junk their news server, if you have their
    "so-good-they-canned-it" Go Large deal, they throttle USENET traffic back so
    hard most alternative servers time out trying to update or even trying to
    download a 3K text-only post !

    geoff
     
    Geoff, Aug 24, 2007
    #6
  7. Donchano

    Old Wolf Guest

    On Aug 24, 3:05 pm, "BTMO" <> wrote:
    > Xtra is one of those funny companies that believe that the market is peopled
    > by idiots,


    If you've ever worked on an Xtra helpdesk, you will understand that
    point of view.
     
    Old Wolf, Aug 24, 2007
    #7
  8. Donchano

    BTMO Guest

    "Old Wolf" <> wrote

    >> Xtra is one of those funny companies that believe that the market is
    >> peopled
    >> by idiots,

    >
    > If you've ever worked on an Xtra helpdesk, you will understand that
    > point of view.


    You know, that cuts both ways. I have had some *bizarre* experiences talking
    to the Xtra helpdesk....
     
    BTMO, Aug 24, 2007
    #8
  9. In message <>, Old Wolf
    wrote:

    > On Aug 24, 3:05 pm, "BTMO" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Xtra is one of those funny companies that believe that the market is
    >> peopled by idiots,

    >
    > If you've ever worked on an Xtra helpdesk, you will understand that
    > point of view.


    So YOU'RE one of those helpdesk people that customers have to suffer every
    time they call...

    :)
     
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 24, 2007
    #9
  10. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 17:15:54 +1200, "BTMO" <>
    magnanimously proffered:

    >
    >"Old Wolf" <> wrote
    >
    >>> Xtra is one of those funny companies that believe that the market is
    >>> peopled
    >>> by idiots,

    >>
    >> If you've ever worked on an Xtra helpdesk, you will understand that
    >> point of view.

    >
    >You know, that cuts both ways. I have had some *bizarre* experiences talking
    >to the Xtra helpdesk....


    Trying to communicate with Xtra's Asian representatives can also be a
    bit of a challenge. They might speak English, but not all of them are
    really conversant in English. The young woman I spoke to over the
    weekend (after being disconnected six times and waiting 45 minutes of
    the final attempt) seemed friendly and enthusiastic, but all she could
    do is spout official platitudes such as "we are committed to bringing
    customers the best service" ... "this is all part of improving our
    email service," ... and the biggest bullshit of all, "this is all
    being caused by everybody rushing to sign up for the new Yahoo/Xtra
    Bubble."

    She finally admitted that their lines were jammed with people with the
    same problem I was describing (not being able to send email), but she
    wasn't able to help me solve it or explain why nothing was posted
    about the problem on Xtra's status report (and never was).

    At least she opened a case number for me so I didn't have to explain
    everything again when I had to call on Monday morning.

    To put it another way, I've spoken with some really great people at
    Xtra over the years, but I've also spoken with some real dolts who
    didn't have a clue what they were talking about.
     
    Donchano, Aug 24, 2007
    #10
  11. In article <>,
    lid says...
    [snippage]
    > In view of Telecom's announcement about compensation to users over the
    > weekend's email fiasco (http://www.stuff.co.nz/4176846a10.html), I
    > would file this under "Too Little Too Late."
    >


    Carefully crafted by a team of experienced spin doctors working through the
    hours when the helpdesk is not available, I see <evil cackle>.

    This gives new meaning to 'avoiding the issue'. A genuine piece of art.

    -P.

    --
    =========================================
    firstname dot lastname at gmail fullstop com
     
    Peter Huebner, Aug 24, 2007
    #11
  12. Donchano

    Gordon Guest

    On 2007-08-24, Donchano <> wrote:
    > By now, many of you will have received the same Xtra email I did
    > earlier today and are probably wondering, like I am, why the braindead
    > wankers didn't send this out BEFORE the weekend's email fiasco - and
    > why it's taken them sooooooo long to send it AFTER it happened?
    >

    Question, Why do so many people go/stay with Xtra?

    To me it is like you are willing to be abused, all too often.

    The irony is, the only way to get this fixed is to get Xtra's market share
    down.

    More irony is displayed by the people who post in these ng, saying that they
    are affected by Xtra's actions. For the people who post to ng are *not* low
    IQ IT/internet aware people.

    Oh well, as my Mother often says, Are not people funny? (Not in Ha Ha but as
    in Why do they do that? )
     
    Gordon, Aug 24, 2007
    #12
  13. Donchano

    Gordon Guest

    On 2007-08-24, Old Wolf <> wrote:
    > On Aug 24, 3:05 pm, "BTMO" <> wrote:
    >> Xtra is one of those funny companies that believe that the market is peopled
    >> by idiots,

    >
    > If you've ever worked on an Xtra helpdesk, you will understand that
    > point of view.
    >

    Idiots or ignorant? Ignorance can be cured
     
    Gordon, Aug 24, 2007
    #13
  14. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    On 24 Aug 2007 06:30:28 GMT, Gordon <> magnanimously
    proffered:

    >On 2007-08-24, Donchano <> wrote:
    >> By now, many of you will have received the same Xtra email I did
    >> earlier today and are probably wondering, like I am, why the braindead
    >> wankers didn't send this out BEFORE the weekend's email fiasco - and
    >> why it's taken them sooooooo long to send it AFTER it happened?
    >>

    >Question, Why do so many people go/stay with Xtra?
    >
    >To me it is like you are willing to be abused, all too often.
    >
    >The irony is, the only way to get this fixed is to get Xtra's market share
    >down.
    >
    >More irony is displayed by the people who post in these ng, saying that they
    >are affected by Xtra's actions. For the people who post to ng are *not* low
    >IQ IT/internet aware people.
    >
    >Oh well, as my Mother often says, Are not people funny? (Not in Ha Ha but as
    >in Why do they do that? )


    Speaking for myself, I've been with Xtra since the beginning. And
    although they piss me off and I have tried two other ISP's (while
    keeping my Xtra account), I've still found Xtra to be the best of a
    bad lot - both in terms of service (when it works) and cost.

    The other reason is that my Xtra broadband is bundled with the rest of
    my Telecom account (phone, call plans, call waiting, phone diversion,
    cellphones, etc). So to unbundle all that would not only cost me more,
    it would leave me with the challenge of what company or companies to
    use instead.

    AFAIC the devil I know is a best option at the moment. But give me
    another, more attractive option and I wouldn't hesitate to show
    Telecom/Xtra the same level of loyalty as they've shown me over the
    years.
     
    Donchano, Aug 24, 2007
    #14
  15. Donchano

    Boppy Guest

    On Aug 24, 2:30 pm, Cima <> wrote:
    > >Important - Your Xtra Email Settings need to be checked and possibly
    > >reset.

    >
    > Hmmm, I was helping someone this morning, and this:
    >
    > In the 'Outgoing mail (SMTP): field, enter send.xtra.co.nz
    > ^^^^
    > didn't work (I changed the ports as per the instructions). Went back to
    > smtp.xtra.co.nz and it worked. I sent a message from my Paradise webmail to them
    > and it ended up in their fuckin SPAM folder on that ridiculous Bubblebullshit
    > Webmail! Total ballsup. She hasn't received any emails all week, a couple were
    > in the spam folder though, but where the hell are the rest of them.


    As you are obviously a helpful person, do you happen to know how to
    get the @officemail.co.nz mail systems working again? It was working
    fine all week and as soon as I changed my personal mail server
    settings, officemail stopped working for my other account. I am up to
    35 minutes on hold now. I must have listened to 5 hours of the same
    Kiwi music CD during the course of this week ...
     
    Boppy, Aug 24, 2007
    #15
  16. Donchano

    joe_90 Guest

    Boppy wrote:
    > I must have listened to 5 hours of the same
    > Kiwi music CD during the course of this week ...


    Well there's grounds for compensation for starters ;-)
     
    joe_90, Aug 24, 2007
    #16
  17. Donchano

    Matty F Guest

    On Aug 24, 6:30 pm, Gordon <> wrote:

    > Question, Why do so many people go/stay with Xtra?
    >
    > To me it is like you are willing to be abused, all too often.


    To be honest, on the two occasions that I have got through to an Xtra
    helpdesk, they have been more than helpful.
    Up until last week their system has usually been very reliable.
    Xtra's helpdesk and service is a whole lot better than ihug, Orcon and
    TelstraClear, who are all abysmal and rude in my experience, and I
    will not recommend any of those three when I install systems for
    people.
     
    Matty F, Aug 24, 2007
    #17
  18. Donchano

    Bugalugs Guest

    Matty F wrote:
    > On Aug 24, 2:30 pm, Cima <> wrote:
    >>> Important - Your Xtra Email Settings need to be checked and possibly
    >>> reset.

    >> Hmmm, I was helping someone this morning, and this:
    >>
    >> In the 'Outgoing mail (SMTP): field, enter send.xtra.co.nz
    >> ^^^^
    >> didn't work (I changed the ports as per the instructions). Went back tosmtp.xtra.co.nzand it worked.

    >
    > Same here. "send.xtra.co.nz" just times out.
    > "smtp.xtra.co.nz" still works fine as it has done for years.
    > So now 100,000 people are going to mess up their pop mail and there'll
    > be another 80 pages of complaints in the Herald about that.
    >


    Got 3 of those "messages" and after hours on the phone was no further
    forward. However finally worked out (in Thunderbird) that if you edit
    the current SMTP by unticking the box 'use name and password' you can
    send mail.

    To adopt the new changes change the SMTP to send.xtra.co.nz and the
    port to 465 as they tell you. BUT ALSO tick the 'use name and
    password' AS WELL AS ticking 'use secure connection'
    "SSL"

    Don't waste your time with the 'help' number quoted in the email (0800
    110 090)it is no use whatsoever.

    At one point in the long discussions I was signed up for this bubble
    crap. but still have not been able to get into it and check whether any
    of the 240 messages they tell me are held as spam, are real or not.

    I was quite happy with the old system, why did they have to F@#$k around
    with it???.
     
    Bugalugs, Aug 24, 2007
    #18
  19. In message <>, Donchano wrote:

    > At least she opened a case number for me so I didn't have to explain
    > everything again when I had to call on Monday morning.


    I wonder if she's going to ... e-mail ... that to their central database so
    it will be ready to be recalled for you Monday morning ...
     
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 24, 2007
    #19
  20. In message <fam57v$ln1$>, Bugalugs wrote:

    > I was quite happy with the old system, why did they have to F@#$k around
    > with it???.


    Possibly because it was insecure.
     
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 24, 2007
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Rôgêr
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    512
  2. Knut Arvid Keilen

    Is it too early - or is it too late.

    Knut Arvid Keilen, Feb 25, 2008, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    468
    dick blisters
    Feb 25, 2008
  3. smackedass

    from the "Too Little Too Late" folks

    smackedass, Jun 20, 2008, in forum: A+ Certification
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,480
    smackedass
    Jun 20, 2008
  4. Obaid
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,633
    Obaid
    Oct 19, 2009
  5. Obaid
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,683
    Obaid
    Oct 19, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page