    Is this because they really can't do it because of
    their set up or are they intentionally blocking it?

    John

    J.Wilson, Aug 20, 2006

  2. J.Wilson

    J.Wilson Guest

    "Peter Huebner" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > In article <>, says...
    > > We have an adsl account with Xtra and a dialup account
    > > with Paradise. We can access our Paradise mail through
    > > Xtra but not the Paradise newsgroups. Paradise helpdesk
    > > say Xtra is blocking access. Xtra helpdesk say it is not
    > > possible to provide access to other Isps news servers
    > > even though I can access Teranews and aioe.
    > > Is this because they really can't do it because of
    > > their set up or are they intentionally blocking it?
    > >
    > > John

    > John, Xtra can do nothing about it because Paradise will have an access
    > limitation on their newsserver that allows only people who are logged in
    > through their system to access the nntp host. This is common practice, and
    > there's nothing whatsoever that _Xtra_ can do about it, because it's

    Paradise
    > locking 'strangers' out. Fair enough too, because otherwise every Tom,

    Dick
    > and Harry from Nepal and Patagonia could use the Paradise news server.
    >
    > Your only option is to ask Paradise very nicely if they could set things

    up so
    > you can log in to nntp via a login and password from outside their

    network.
    > Somehow I doubt that they will want to go to the trouble, but you never

    know.
    > As I said, most news servers are set up so they don't need authentication

    from
    > 'local' users but reject everybody else -- this is the easiest way of

    running
    > it from admin and user ends, both.
    >
    > h.t.h. -Peter

    Nice one. Thanks Peter.

    J.Wilson, Aug 20, 2006

  3. J.Wilson

    Keith Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > We have an adsl account with Xtra and a dialup account
    > with Paradise. We can access our Paradise mail through
    > Xtra but not the Paradise newsgroups. Paradise helpdesk
    > say Xtra is blocking access. Xtra helpdesk say it is not
    > possible to provide access to other Isps news servers
    > even though I can access Teranews and aioe.

    I can't see how Xtra could stop you. You have already shown that by
    saying you can connect to other nttp servers. Let's face it, 99.9% of
    help desk drones don't know what Usenet is. Especially Xtra who no
    longer have an nttp server.

    > Is this because they really can't do it because of
    > their set up or are they intentionally blocking it?

    I'd say Telstra are only allowing logins from there own accounts.

    Keith, Aug 21, 2006
  4. In article <>, says...

    Peter Huebner, Aug 21, 2006