xtra wireless

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by cowboyz, Feb 11, 2004.

  1. cowboyz

    JJD Guest

    On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 08:14:03 +1300, "EMB" <> wrote:

    > At the same time I think your average shop assistant must
    >> have a very hard time keeping up with a bewildering array of quite
    >> complex, technical equipment these days, but then, that is their job.
    >>

    >
    >The average shop assistant should be selling groceries at the corner dairy.
    >Selling specialised items (be they car parts, computer equipment, knitting
    >supplies, or whatever) requires specialised knowledge, and by implication
    >specialisaed sales staff. The sooner vendors realise this and provide pay
    >and training that reflects this the better.
    >

    Well, I think you're right. I have definitely walked out of shops
    without buying on many occasions, simply because the sales assistant
    was so utterly crap.

    I was looking at a widescreen LCD monitor in N**l L**ming, which was
    hooked to the same computer as a standard screen beside it and it was
    playing a movie, but the widescreen just had the same picture as the
    standard, stretched to fit. I asked if it could be set to show the
    picture correctly for widescreen and the assistant's only words were
    "they just come like that". They clearly had no further knowledge on
    the matter.

    The fact that I left had a lot to do with my dissatisfaction with a
    retailer who cares so little about me as a customer, that they hire
    staff on a "cheapest possible" basis. Surely "assistant" has to
    enter into this somewhere.

    JJD
    JJD, Feb 12, 2004
    #21
    1. Advertising

  2. Gordon wrote:
    >>Ring up the idiots at Xtra and tell them to look at their own website about
    >>it. The response you got is pretty unbelievable.


    > NO. Oh NO. The point is my dear Scrooge is that it is believable, all too
    > believable.


    heh, and just because it is on the website doesnt mean that you can tell
    customers about it... I got fired for that.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    We have Hangman, Pacman, and Space Invaders
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 12, 2004
    #22
    1. Advertising

  3. cowboyz

    AD. Guest

    On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 08:34:33 +1300, cowboyz wrote:

    > Another example yesterday ( I am going to avoid going to town soon) when I
    > called into a computer shop (not a department store) and asked if they had
    > a price on a FX5900.
    >
    > "Sound card is it?" was the reply.
    >
    > I said "err. no. " And walked out.


    Could've been worse, at least they didn't ask "Is that a Dell?" :)

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Feb 12, 2004
    #23
  4. cowboyz

    JJD Guest

    On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 08:34:33 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:

    >> The thing is though, there is some fearsomely inaccurate advice out
    >> there and your unfortunate first time buyer is in a pretty unenviable
    >> position when trying to sort their purchase, or subscribe to a
    >> service. At the same time I think your average shop assistant must
    >> have a very hard time keeping up with a bewildering array of quite
    >> complex, technical equipment these days, but then, that is their job.


    >Exactly. It is their job to know. And it is the empolyers/companies
    >responsibility to train them in what they need to know. What if I hired a
    >guy and he put the cups on the cows ears? Who would I have to blame?
    >
    >Another example yesterday ( I am going to avoid going to town soon) when I
    >called into a computer shop (not a department store) and asked if they had a
    >price on a FX5900.
    >
    >"Sound card is it?" was the reply.
    >
    >I said "err. no. " And walked out.
    >
    >Now maybe I didn't explain myself properly but I am not dealing with any
    >company who can't recognise one of the worlds biggest card manufacturers by
    >model number. It's not even like it is an exotic piece of hardware.


    You were in a specialist computer shop, so perhaps they should've
    known, but this does bring up another side to the issue, if you'll
    accept that I'm not suggesting you are guilty of this.

    I have seen, on an alarming number of occasions, geeky types who hang
    out in retail outlets with the sole purpose of catching out the
    assistants. The idea seems to be that you toss the assistant a
    left-field question and then announce loudly that they're all wrong
    and here's the correct answer, thus apparently proving your
    superiority. The fact that nobody cares doesn't seem to enter into it.

    I only want reasonable overall knowledge from retail assistants -
    deeper knowledge is for the techs and specialists. Some larger
    retailers, if they train their staff at all, appear to only train them
    in the zen art of closing sales, never mind sales of what, to whom, or
    for what purpose.

    JJD
    JJD, Feb 12, 2004
    #24
  5. cowboyz

    harry Guest

    cowboyz wrote:
    > "JJD" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 08:21:56 GMT, (A) wrote:

    >
    >>
    >> The thing is though, there is some fearsomely inaccurate advice out
    >> there and your unfortunate first time buyer is in a pretty unenviable
    >> position when trying to sort their purchase, or subscribe to a
    >> service. At the same time I think your average shop assistant must
    >> have a very hard time keeping up with a bewildering array of quite
    >> complex, technical equipment these days, but then, that is their job.
    >>
    >> JJD

    >
    > Exactly. It is their job to know. And it is the empolyers/companies
    > responsibility to train them in what they need to know. What if I
    > hired a guy and he put the cups on the cows ears? Who would I have
    > to blame?
    >
    > Another example yesterday ( I am going to avoid going to town soon)
    > when I called into a computer shop (not a department store) and asked
    > if they had a price on a FX5900.
    >
    > "Sound card is it?" was the reply.
    >
    > I said "err. no. " And walked out.
    >
    >
    > Now maybe I didn't explain myself properly but I am not dealing with
    > any company who can't recognise one of the worlds biggest card
    > manufacturers by model number. It's not even like it is an exotic
    > piece of hardware.
    >
    > Faith in customer service dropped another notch (there aren't many
    > notches left)


    Why didn't you just tell him it was a video card and ask if he could look it
    up ?
    It seems like less trouble than flouncing out like a too precious ubergeek.
    harry, Feb 12, 2004
    #25
  6. cowboyz

    harry Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > "JJD" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >
    > At the same time I think your average shop assistant must
    >> have a very hard time keeping up with a bewildering array of quite
    >> complex, technical equipment these days, but then, that is their job.
    >>

    >
    > The average shop assistant should be selling groceries at the corner
    > dairy. Selling specialised items (be they car parts, computer
    > equipment, knitting supplies, or whatever) requires specialised
    > knowledge, and by implication specialisaed sales staff. The sooner
    > vendors realise this and provide pay and training that reflects this
    > the better.
    >
    > EMB


    Porcine flying training sounds just as likely.
    Strangely enough, the average supermarket droid can't advise you on recipes
    either.
    harry, Feb 12, 2004
    #26
  7. cowboyz

    EMB Guest

    "harry" <> wrote in message
    news:lmSWb.23797$...
    > Porcine flying training sounds just as likely.
    > Strangely enough, the average supermarket droid can't advise you on

    recipes
    > either.
    >

    No, but most of them can have a reasonable go at telling you where to find
    the items that you've failed to spot on the shelves, and do so happily.

    EMB
    EMB, Feb 12, 2004
    #27
  8. cowboyz

    harry Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > "harry" <> wrote in message
    > news:lmSWb.23797$...
    >> Porcine flying training sounds just as likely.
    >> Strangely enough, the average supermarket droid can't advise you on
    >> recipes either.
    >>

    > No, but most of them can have a reasonable go at telling you where to
    > find the items that you've failed to spot on the shelves, and do so
    > happily.
    >
    > EMB


    The DSE staff can do that.
    But you might have to find out for yourself if you want to know more
    technical details.
    Caveat Emptor covers it.
    Let the buyer beware.
    Beware means be aware.
    harry, Feb 12, 2004
    #28
  9. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    "harry" <> wrote in message
    news:bhSWb.23795$...
    > cowboyz wrote:
    > > "JJD" <> wrote in message
    > > news:...
    > >> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 08:21:56 GMT, (A) wrote:

    > >
    > >>
    > >> The thing is though, there is some fearsomely inaccurate advice out
    > >> there and your unfortunate first time buyer is in a pretty unenviable
    > >> position when trying to sort their purchase, or subscribe to a
    > >> service. At the same time I think your average shop assistant must
    > >> have a very hard time keeping up with a bewildering array of quite
    > >> complex, technical equipment these days, but then, that is their job.
    > >>
    > >> JJD

    > >
    > > Exactly. It is their job to know. And it is the empolyers/companies
    > > responsibility to train them in what they need to know. What if I
    > > hired a guy and he put the cups on the cows ears? Who would I have
    > > to blame?
    > >
    > > Another example yesterday ( I am going to avoid going to town soon)
    > > when I called into a computer shop (not a department store) and asked
    > > if they had a price on a FX5900.
    > >
    > > "Sound card is it?" was the reply.
    > >
    > > I said "err. no. " And walked out.
    > >
    > >
    > > Now maybe I didn't explain myself properly but I am not dealing with
    > > any company who can't recognise one of the worlds biggest card
    > > manufacturers by model number. It's not even like it is an exotic
    > > piece of hardware.
    > >
    > > Faith in customer service dropped another notch (there aren't many
    > > notches left)

    >
    > Why didn't you just tell him it was a video card and ask if he could look

    it
    > up ?
    > It seems like less trouble than flouncing out like a too precious

    ubergeek.
    >
    >



    a. I don't flounce.
    b. If I was in a shop like NL B&B DSE HN or one of the other big chains I
    have not listed I would have said "Could you get me a price on a NVIDIA
    GeForce FX5900 Video card. Being as I was in a *computer* shop who offer
    sales *and* servicing I think they should have known what a FX5900 was. An
    acceptable reply would have been "I'll just check that for you" (even if he
    didn't know it was a video card he didn't have to show it). An excellent
    reply would have been "Just over $700, I'll just check the actual price for
    you. No way no how do I find it acceptable that a *computer service* store
    does not know what a FX5900 is.


    Although I conceed I should have known better to go back. The day before I
    purchased 256Meg DDR400. In the process he recommended that I purchase 2
    256Meg sticks because I need 2 sticks to take advantage of dual channel ram.
    I said that I don't have a dual channel board so it is not going to be an
    advantage and already have 256 so I'll just settle for the 256 and have 512
    total. He asked if I was sure I didn't have dual channel capabilities
    because 800mhz FSB have dual channel. I said I don't have an 800mhz FSB.
    He said I must have a 533 Mhz FSB then. I said no again. I have a AMD
    XP2100 with a 266FSB. He said. "oh is that all". I said it does me fine.

    At the end of the day I am done with that store.
    cowboyz, Feb 12, 2004
    #29
  10. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    "harry" <> wrote in message
    news:r2TWb.23808$...
    > EMB wrote:
    > > "harry" <> wrote in message
    > > news:lmSWb.23797$...
    > >> Porcine flying training sounds just as likely.
    > >> Strangely enough, the average supermarket droid can't advise you on
    > >> recipes either.
    > >>

    > > No, but most of them can have a reasonable go at telling you where to
    > > find the items that you've failed to spot on the shelves, and do so
    > > happily.
    > >
    > > EMB

    >
    > The DSE staff can do that.
    > But you might have to find out for yourself if you want to know more
    > technical details.
    > Caveat Emptor covers it.
    > Let the buyer beware.
    > Beware means be aware.
    >
    >


    That is all good in theroy but at some stage people have to take salemans
    advice. Just pick out anything from a toothbrush to a car. I bet you I
    could show you advice that will say it is good and some that says it's crap.

    For example. When I brought my Panasonic LC40 digital camera. It was
    being discussed how easily it can transfer the pics from camera to PC via
    USB. In passing I asked if the transfer would be at the higher rate if I
    plugged it into a USB2.0 port. Sure he said. It's not. Now should I be
    upset? In this instance I'm not because the point is it is not that
    important to me as it doesn't take long to transfer at USB1.1. But what if
    I didn't have USB2.0? What if I spent another $x buying a PCI USB2.0 card
    just to get higher transfer rates? Should I be upset then? How far do you
    go before you stop saying "Well you should have researched it yourself
    rather than taking advice from someone who is trying to sell you something"?
    cowboyz, Feb 12, 2004
    #30
  11. cowboyz

    harry Guest

    cowboyz wrote:
    > "harry" <> wrote in message
    > news:bhSWb.23795$...
    >> cowboyz wrote:
    >>> "JJD" <> wrote in message
    >>> news:...
    >>>> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 08:21:56 GMT, (A) wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>
    >>>> The thing is though, there is some fearsomely inaccurate advice out
    >>>> there and your unfortunate first time buyer is in a pretty
    >>>> unenviable position when trying to sort their purchase, or
    >>>> subscribe to a service. At the same time I think your average
    >>>> shop assistant must have a very hard time keeping up with a
    >>>> bewildering array of quite complex, technical equipment these
    >>>> days, but then, that is their job.
    >>>>
    >>>> JJD
    >>>
    >>> Exactly. It is their job to know. And it is the
    >>> empolyers/companies responsibility to train them in what they need
    >>> to know. What if I hired a guy and he put the cups on the cows
    >>> ears? Who would I have to blame?
    >>>
    >>> Another example yesterday ( I am going to avoid going to town soon)
    >>> when I called into a computer shop (not a department store) and
    >>> asked if they had a price on a FX5900.
    >>>
    >>> "Sound card is it?" was the reply.
    >>>
    >>> I said "err. no. " And walked out.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Now maybe I didn't explain myself properly but I am not dealing with
    >>> any company who can't recognise one of the worlds biggest card
    >>> manufacturers by model number. It's not even like it is an exotic
    >>> piece of hardware.
    >>>
    >>> Faith in customer service dropped another notch (there aren't many
    >>> notches left)

    >>
    >> Why didn't you just tell him it was a video card and ask if he could
    >> look it up ?
    >> It seems like less trouble than flouncing out like a too precious
    >> ubergeek.
    >>
    >>

    >
    >
    > a. I don't flounce.
    > b. If I was in a shop like NL B&B DSE HN or one of the other big
    > chains I have not listed I would have said "Could you get me a price
    > on a NVIDIA GeForce FX5900 Video card. Being as I was in a
    > *computer* shop who offer sales *and* servicing I think they should
    > have known what a FX5900 was. An acceptable reply would have been
    > "I'll just check that for you" (even if he didn't know it was a video
    > card he didn't have to show it). An excellent reply would have been
    > "Just over $700, I'll just check the actual price for you. No way no
    > how do I find it acceptable that a *computer service* store does not
    > know what a FX5900 is.
    >



    Thats up to you.
    It doesn't mean that you couldn't buy the item, just that you set an
    arbitrary condition for the staff that you would deal with.
    You could phone them in a little quiz to save yourself the trouble.
    I buy stuff from Dick Smiths sometimes.
    I accept it as a condition of entry that I will have to deal with min wage
    tards, that may have had their social skills stunted by txt msg cmnctn gamez
    n pr0n. What would you expect ? They have been confined in school with more
    of the same for the last 12 years.
    harry, Feb 12, 2004
    #31
  12. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    harry wrote:

    >
    >
    > Thats up to you.
    > It doesn't mean that you couldn't buy the item, just that you set an
    > arbitrary condition for the staff that you would deal with.


    It doesn't mean I *couldn't* buy from them - that is true. It means I
    don't want to buy from them. It constantly amazes me that with the stiff
    compedition (from home there are no less than 6 differnet computer shops
    within half hour of me and I live in the middle of nowhere) all a shop has
    to do to a gain an advantage over the rest is to get a clue.

    > You could phone them in a little quiz to save yourself the trouble.


    **** that. I'm not spending my day ringing round being dicked around on the
    phone. It is debateable if I would have brought the FX on the spot anyway.
    I only called in cause I was killing time in town cause it was raining. I
    would be just as likely to have brought it if a/ the price was right and b/
    the salesman *sold* it to me. Selling used to be a skill. Nowadays it
    means you stand in a shop with your finger up your arse waiting for people
    to give you money.

    > I buy stuff from Dick Smiths sometimes.


    I do too. I don't see alot wrong with DSE. In fact, every time I have been
    into DSE I either get helpful advice or get told that they don't know and
    will research it for me if I can either wait or come back later. Both
    acceptable replies from a shop with a wide variety of stuff.

    > I accept it as a condition of entry that I will have to deal with min
    > wage tards, that may have had their social skills stunted by txt msg
    > cmnctn gamez n pr0n. What would you expect ? They have been confined
    > in school with more of the same for the last 12 years.


    I expect a pride and interest enough in their job that they learn a little
    (no - alot) about what they are selling.
    cowboyz, Feb 13, 2004
    #32
  13. cowboyz

    nick Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 07:45:20 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:

    >I put my phone number into telecoms "can you get jetstream" webpage and it
    >came back saying that I might be able to get it and to ring a number.
    >Rung the number to find out I can't get it but the salesman suggested I
    >might like xtra wireless and gave me the phone number.
    >
    >I rung xtra wireless and it went like this.
    >


    Think of it this way, at least they're not spending any money on
    quality operators, which would be part of their commitment to cut the
    costs down, which can only be good for the customers : )
    nick, Feb 13, 2004
    #33
  14. On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 11:24:18 +1300, harry wrote:

    >> No, but most of them can have a reasonable go at telling you where to
    >> find the items that you've failed to spot on the shelves, and do so
    >> happily.


    > The DSE staff can do that.


    Occasionally.

    They're just as likely to tell you it's out of stock or that they never
    carried it.
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Feb 14, 2004
    #34
  15. cowboyz

    EMB Guest

    "Uncle StoatWarbler" <> wrote in
    message news:p...
    >
    > > The DSE staff can do that.

    >
    > Occasionally.
    >
    > They're just as likely to tell you it's out of stock or that they never
    > carried it.
    >

    Agreed - they can tell you something's out of stock when you can see it on
    the shelf - and then they won't sell it to you because they aren't meant to
    have it to sell.

    EMB
    EMB, Feb 14, 2004
    #35
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Jeff

    Smilie Xtra Extension

    Jeff, Apr 11, 2005, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    421
  2. LadySpudz

    Smiley Xtra Working??

    LadySpudz, Apr 28, 2005, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    640
    LadySpudz
    May 5, 2005
  3. Mark
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    2,061
  4. T.N.O.

    Xtra Wireless?

    T.N.O., Dec 29, 2003, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    22
    Views:
    934
    Craig Shore
    Dec 31, 2003
  5. BMR

    Telecom Xtra Wireless Connections.

    BMR, Mar 24, 2005, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    435
Loading...

Share This Page