Xtra Wireless?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by T.N.O., Dec 29, 2003.

  1. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    T.N.O., Dec 29, 2003

  2. T.N.O.

    Lebowski Guest

    Lebowski, Dec 29, 2003

  3. Mauricio Freitas, Dec 29, 2003
  4. T.N.O.

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 10:54:33 +1300, Mauricio Freitas wrote:

    > It seems like TNZ response to woosh.

    lol, almost as ridiculous as their response to Ihug ultra and paradise
    cable (jetstream)
    -[Myth]-, Dec 29, 2003
  5. T.N.O.

    ac Guest

    In article <3ff0b260$>,
    says...

    > "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > > How long has this "service" been offered?
    > > http://jetstream.xtra.co.nz/chm/0,5123,203321-202732,00.html

    > 100 bucks a month for a 1gig cap? They can go roger themselves!

    Hey it is $110 a month, don't give them a 10% discount :)
    ac, Dec 29, 2003
  6. "T.N.O." <> wrote in

    > How long has this "service" been offered?
    > http://jetstream.xtra.co.nz/chm/0,5123,203321-202732,00.html

    Probably since Woosh was announced. Would be interesting to see if the
    service actually exists, or whether it's another "Marketing Sizzle before
    the Product Sausage".
    Richard Holmes, Dec 29, 2003
  7. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    Richard Holmes wrote:
    > Probably since Woosh was announced. Would be interesting to see if the
    > service actually exists, or whether it's another "Marketing Sizzle before
    > the Product Sausage".

    I rang 0800getxtra(their sales number) went through to a sales rep, who
    said, he knows nothing of Xtra Wireless, but gave me this number to
    ring, 0800555077, rang them, spoke to a lovely lady who vagely knew from
    my time working there, who took my details and will get someone to call
    me in regards to it.

    It is only really available for people who cannot get Jetstream.

    Get this though, you need a Telecom Phone line to get this product...
    WTF?
    T.N.O., Dec 29, 2003
  8. T.N.O. wrote:

    > I rang 0800getxtra(their sales number) went through to a sales rep, who
    > said, he knows nothing of Xtra Wireless, but gave me this number to
    > ring, 0800555077, rang them, spoke to a lovely lady who vagely knew from
    > my time working there, who took my details and will get someone to call
    > me in regards to it.
    >
    > It is only really available for people who cannot get Jetstream.
    >
    > Get this though, you need a Telecom Phone line to get this product...
    > WTF?

    They will make you buy a phone line anyway that they can.

    I had someone tell me that I needed a landline account in order to get an xtra
    account, and insisted that they charge it to the same account that I used the
    line with jetstart on. I tried to explain that I wanted it billed seperatly
    under a different name but there sales droids had a hard time understanding
    that, and were trying to sell me a second analog line (which I dont want) and a
    second jetstart service on the second line (which I also didnt want).

    Why does it take so much effort explaining that talking on the phone while using
    the internet is not something that I wish to do at any time on there overpriced
    network.
    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Dec 29, 2003
  9. T.N.O.

    Lennier Guest

    On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:26:49 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:

    > It is only really available for people who cannot get Jetstream.
    >
    > Get this though, you need a Telecom Phone line to get this product... WTF?

    Why do you need a landline in order to get a wireless internet service?

    Lennier
    Lennier, Dec 29, 2003
  10. In <> ac wrote:
    > In article <3ff0b260$>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> "T.N.O." <> wrote in
    >> message news:...
    >> > How long has this "service" been offered?
    >> > http://jetstream.xtra.co.nz/chm/0,5123,203321-202732,00.html

    >> 100 bucks a month for a 1gig cap? They can go roger themselves!
    >>

    > Hey it is $110 a month, don't give them a 10% discount :)

    The radio modem costs $1000, and the installation fee is $475!!! For
    $475 I would expect they would paint my roof while they were up there!

    Apple II - FutureCop:LAPD - iMac Game Wizard
    http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~rojaws/
    "This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered
    as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us"

    Western Union memo, 1876
    Roger Johnstone, Dec 29, 2003
  11. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    Lennier wrote:
    >>It is only really available for people who cannot get Jetstream.
    >>Get this though, you need a Telecom Phone line to get this product... WTF?

    > Why do you need a landline in order to get a wireless internet service?

    Dont know, but the lady on the phone says that is how it is, and said
    that she can't see any reason for it either.

    The whole thing smacks of a service being provided by someone else, but
    billed by Telecom/Xtra...
    T.N.O., Dec 29, 2003
  12. "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > Lennier wrote:
    > >>It is only really available for people who cannot get Jetstream.
    > >>Get this though, you need a Telecom Phone line to get this product...

    WTF?

    > > Why do you need a landline in order to get a wireless internet service?

    > Dont know, but the lady on the phone says that is how it is, and said
    > that she can't see any reason for it either.
    >
    > The whole thing smacks of a service being provided by someone else, but
    > billed by Telecom/Xtra...

    Probably because they're moving into a consolidate bill for all services -
    and the only way they can find you is through a phone number... Not, really.
    They do have Acct #, so it should be not needed at all.

    But the drones in the sales will repeat the pitch, and the people in
    development are not "aligned" with customers expectation, it seems.

    --
    Mauricio Freitas
    Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):
    Mauricio Freitas, Dec 30, 2003
  13. T.N.O.

    sal Guest

    On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:44:25 +1300, Lennier
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:26:49 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:
    >
    >> It is only really available for people who cannot get Jetstream.
    >>
    >> Get this though, you need a Telecom Phone line to get this product... WTF?

    >Why do you need a landline in order to get a wireless internet service?
    >
    >Lennier

    Most likely something to do with their billing system. You probably
    need to have a phone line as a base service, and the rule has kept up
    with their new services. Really this company needs to move into the
    21st century, as landlines are not needed any more, especially not for
    a wireless internet service.
    sal, Dec 30, 2003
  14. T.N.O.

    Lennier Guest

    On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 13:14:33 +1300, sal wrote:

    >>Why do you need a landline in order to get a wireless internet service?

    > Most likely something to do with their billing system.

    IMHO, no. When I had my telephone with Saturn I was connecting to the
    WWW via Xtra.

    Xtra did not need a telephone connection - merely a Telecom Account -
    which I had from when I had previously had a Telecom telephone.

    Telstra Clear's service has since become so appallingly bad that I
    cancelled that contract and went back to Telecom.

    At least Telecom can repair network faults within 24 hours. Telstra/Clear
    was going to be 8 days before they could get a contractor out to fix the
    line!

    Lennier
    Lennier, Dec 30, 2003
  15. Roger Johnstone <> wrote in news:20031230124653727+1300
    @news.inv.ihug.co.nz:

    > In <> ac wrote:
    >> In article <3ff0b260$>,
    >> says...
    >>>
    >>> "T.N.O." <> wrote in
    >>> message news:...
    >>>
    >>> 100 bucks a month for a 1gig cap? They can go roger themselves!
    >>>

    >> Hey it is $110 a month, don't give them a 10% discount :)

    > The radio modem costs $1000, and the installation fee is $475!!! For
    > $475 I would expect they would paint my roof while they were up there!

    But Roger ........ The costings ARE GST Inclusive, which staggered me for
    a start.

    RH
    Richard Holmes, Dec 30, 2003
  16. T.N.O.

    ac Guest

    In article <>,
    lid says...
    > In <> ac wrote:
    > > In article <3ff0b260$>,
    > > says...
    > >>
    > >> "T.N.O." <> wrote in
    > >> message news:...
    > >>
    > >> 100 bucks a month for a 1gig cap? They can go roger themselves!
    > >>

    > > Hey it is $110 a month, don't give them a 10% discount :)

    > The radio modem costs $1000, and the installation fee is $475!!! For
    > $475 I would expect they would paint my roof while they were up there!

    They probably do paint your roof with big letters saying "SUCKER"..
    ac, Dec 30, 2003
  17. On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 10:09:52 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:

    > How long has this "service" been offered?

    About a year. It's ridiculously expensive though..

    Just like NZ's hideously overpriced ADSL service.

    Telecom's idea of servicing the customers is similiar to a bull's idea of
    servicing the cows...
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Dec 30, 2003
  18. T.N.O.

    Tim Hogard Guest

    Lennier () wrote:
    : On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:26:49 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:
    :
    : > It is only really available for people who cannot get Jetstream.
    : >
    : > Get this though, you need a Telecom Phone line to get this product... WTF?
    :
    : Why do you need a landline in order to get a wireless internet service?

    It is "one way wireless" just like "one way satellite". You use a
    modem line for the uplink and then get broadband speeds for downloads.
    That gives a much wider range for reception but the radios are not
    cheap.

    Depending on your area, there are cheaper wireless things showing
    up that will be cheaper but someone is going to have to pay $900
    for a good radio and its install. Even over 24 months thats $37.5
    plus GST so there isn't much of a saving over low end ADSL.

    -tim
    http://web.abnormal.com
    Tim Hogard, Dec 30, 2003
  19. T.N.O.

    Lennier Guest

    On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:59:03 +0000, Tim Hogard wrote:

    > : Why do you need a landline in order to get a wireless internet service?
    >
    > It is "one way wireless" just like "one way satellite". You use a modem
    > line for the uplink and then get broadband speeds for downloads. That
    > gives a much wider range for reception but the radios are not cheap.

    Ah!

    Asymmetric wireless.

    Why is it that Telecom always thinks that people are only ever interested
    in receiving material? Why not making material available for others to
    look at or to listen to or to read?

    Lennier
    Lennier, Dec 30, 2003
  20. T.N.O.

    Lebowski Guest

    "Lennier" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:59:03 +0000, Tim Hogard wrote:
    >
    > > : Why do you need a landline in order to get a wireless internet

    service?

    > > It is "one way wireless" just like "one way satellite". You use a modem
    > > line for the uplink and then get broadband speeds for downloads. That
    > > gives a much wider range for reception but the radios are not cheap.

    > Ah!
    >
    > Asymmetric wireless.
    >
    > Why is it that Telecom always thinks that people are only ever interested
    > in receiving material? Why not making material available for others to
    > look at or to listen to or to read?
    >
    > Lennier

    Copyright law ass-bandits perhaps? ;)
    Lebowski, Dec 30, 2003