    bad reports of service, customer service by Slingshot, and what have
    you. Does anyone have any comment here?

    Thanks...

    HêlênsKï KlärK, Jun 14, 2006

  2. HêlênsKï KlärK

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "HêlênsKï KlärK" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > After being a loyal customer to an ISP/Comms Co. for many years now,
    > I'm about to get another provider for phone and data services, because
    > they have removed their Newsgroups/USENET/NNTP facility for their
    > customers and have demonstrated extremely poor judgement in my view
    > resulting in yet another example of their blatent disregard and
    > contempt for the very people that pay them. I wondered if anyone could
    > please comment on the following items:
    >
    > 1. Has anyone heard anything about Slingshot possibly removing their
    > newsgroup server(s)/service?
    >
    > 2. Has anyone had any bad experiences with Slingshot? In particular I'm
    > looking at their broadband service.
    >
    > 3. I am also interested in any exceptionally good, and exceptionally
    > bad reports of service, customer service by Slingshot, and what have
    > you. Does anyone have any comment here?
    >
    > Thanks...

    Slingshot gets it's newsgroup service from ihug - which causes delays in
    posts.
    Slingshot isn't a big enough player to provide a decent newsgroup service
    all of it's own.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jun 14, 2006

  3. > Slingshot gets it's newsgroup service from ihug - which causes delays in
    > posts.
    > Slingshot isn't a big enough player to provide a decent newsgroup service
    > all of it's own.

    Unfortunately Ihug screwed it up big time for me, as I think they did
    for alot of others in the past for me too, and I'm hesitant to go back
    there. A few years ago they made a major stupid move by capping their
    Ultra, and it annoyed alot of people. To add to the annoyance, their
    customer service left alot to be desired.

    Thanks for that though. Appreciate the feedback.

    HêlênsKï KlärK, Jun 14, 2006
  4. HêlênsKï KlärK

    Chris Lim Guest

    HêlênsKï KlärK wrote:
    > 2. Has anyone had any bad experiences with Slingshot? In particular I'm
    > looking at their broadband service.

    I switched from Orcon to Slingshot 2 or 3 months ago because their data
    charges are cheaper. I have found that performance during peak hours
    can be really bad, though I don't know if this has anything to do with
    Slingshot or whether it affects all ISPs (I don't remember having the
    same problem with Orcon but that was before the 2 mbps to 3 mbps
    upgrade so it's hard to compare).

    I also find that I sometimes lose my connection and have to reset my
    router. Seems to happen once every few days, which is pretty annoying.

    > 3. I am also interested in any exceptionally good, and exceptionally
    > bad reports of service, customer service by Slingshot, and what have
    > you. Does anyone have any comment here?

    Their telephone support seems reasonable, though I'm not impressed with
    their online support. I submitted a couple of issues relating to
    performance on their web site and received no reply to either!

    But as I said, my main reason for switching to them was their data
    rates. They charge around $1/gb when you go over your cap, whereas last
    time I checked Orcon charged around $5/gb.

    Chris Lim, Jun 14, 2006
  5. HêlênsKï KlärK

    Tony Guest

    > 3. I am also interested in any exceptionally good, and exceptionally
    > bad reports of service, customer service by Slingshot, and what have
    > you. Does anyone have any comment here?
    >
    > Thanks...

    I'll say it again, if you want dsl and a decent news server go to
    WorldXchange (http://xnet.co.nz/internet/broadband.shtml)

    Tony, Jun 14, 2006
  6. HêlênsKï KlärK

    Crash Guest

    HêlênsKï KlärK wrote:
    >> Slingshot gets it's newsgroup service from ihug - which causes delays in
    >> posts.
    >> Slingshot isn't a big enough player to provide a decent newsgroup service
    >> all of it's own.

    > Unfortunately Ihug screwed it up big time for me, as I think they did
    > for alot of others in the past for me too, and I'm hesitant to go back
    > there. A few years ago they made a major stupid move by capping their
    > Ultra, and it annoyed alot of people. To add to the annoyance, their
    > customer service left alot to be desired.

    Would you consider Orcon? I moved to them from Xtra for exactly the same
    reasons, after getting a commitment from them that offering an nntp server was
    considered a core component of the service offered.

    Crash

    Crash, Jun 14, 2006
  7. HêlênsKï KlärK

    Guest

    > But as I said, my main reason for switching to them was their data
    > rates. They charge around $1/gb when you go over your cap, whereas last
    > time I checked Orcon charged around $5/gb.

    Orcon was the first company to introduce the idea of $10/10GB ($1/GB).
    Slinshot then followed us.

    We were essentially forced to increase our overage pricing when Telecom
    lowered the aggregate data allowance per user from 10GB to 4GB per
    user. If users do over 4GB average then we run into problems.

    Therefore we did the modeling and decided that the best price we could
    set overage at was $10/5GB (i.e. $2/GB NOT $5/GB)

    Cheers
    Seeby

    , Jun 14, 2006
  8. HêlênsKï KlärK

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <newscache$jnfv0j$edb$>,
    says...

    > > 3. I am also interested in any exceptionally good, and exceptionally
    > > bad reports of service, customer service by Slingshot, and what have
    > > you. Does anyone have any comment here?
    > >
    > > Thanks...

    > I'll say it again, if you want dsl and a decent news server go to
    > WorldXchange (http://xnet.co.nz/internet/broadband.shtml)

    They must have improved - or you're one person that's found 'em good.
    How would you rate their reliability (connection dropouts etc)?, and
    service?

    I have a mate that left 'em pretty quick - so his experience has been
    different from yours, presumably.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Jun 15, 2006
  9. HêlênsKï KlärK

    Vista Guest

    > After being a loyal customer to an ISP/Comms Co. for many years now,
    > I'm about to get another provider for phone and data services, because
    > they have removed their Newsgroups/USENET/NNTP facility for their
    > customers and have demonstrated extremely poor judgement in my view
    > resulting in yet another example of their blatent disregard and
    > contempt for the very people that pay them. I wondered if anyone could
    > please comment on the following items:
    >
    > 1. Has anyone heard anything about Slingshot possibly removing their
    > newsgroup server(s)/service?
    >
    > 2. Has anyone had any bad experiences with Slingshot? In particular I'm
    > looking at their broadband service.
    >
    > 3. I am also interested in any exceptionally good, and exceptionally
    > bad reports of service, customer service by Slingshot, and what have
    > you. Does anyone have any comment here?
    >
    > Thanks...

    I switched to slingshots broadband plan about a month ago, and have found it
    ok. There have been 2 outages amounting to about 24 hours of downtime, but
    apparently it was an issue that affected all broadband providers. I also
    find that sometime I have to reset my router as the ADSL gets reset which is
    rather annoying.

    The major thing that lets slingshot down, is that they don't update the
    status page on their website, so you don't know if a problem is at their end
    on not. When they have or have had outages, their status page report 'no
    known problem'. I told them this, and apparently they are looking into it.
    Really there is no excuse for Slingshot not to update their status page, or
    why do they bother having it. Perhaps Annette should look into managing her
    own company properly before investigating becoming Telecoms CEO, as I
    wouldn't have much faith in her as Telecoms boss.

    Vista, Jun 15, 2006
  10. > Would you consider Orcon? I moved to them from Xtra for exactly the same
    > reasons, after getting a commitment from them that offering an nntp server was
    > considered a core component of the service offered.

    Oh really? TelstraClear was difficult to get anything from but agreed
    it was an important service but could not/would not commit to any
    guarantee. Same with Slingshot but much better customer service.

    Did Orcon offer to put that in writing?

    Basically it would be good to get it in writing to say "yes you are
    paying for it" and yes, we will keep it going for another 10 years min
    sort of thing. If you get my drift.

    HêlênsKï KlärK, Jun 15, 2006
  11. > I switched from Orcon to Slingshot 2 or 3 months ago because their data
    > charges are cheaper. I have found that performance during peak hours
    > can be really bad, though I don't know if this has anything to do with
    > Slingshot or whether it affects all ISPs (I don't remember having the
    > same problem with Orcon but that was before the 2 mbps to 3 mbps
    > upgrade so it's hard to compare).

    Excellent feedback Chris. Thanks for that. Does anyone else have any
    feedback on slingshot performance? Perhaps even a graph from a traffic
    modelling app?

    I've never really had a transfer rate issue with Xtra that has been
    noticable. Perhaps Orcon is a little better in some respects that
    Slingshot, but I'm happy to compromise to a degree (so long as it's not
    unbearable) on transfer rate, when there is a significant cost saving.
    The excess data rate is a bigger concern given the larger cost of the
    base charge, but not overly.

    Customer service isn't a big one either, unless it sticks out like a
    sore thumb and there clearly are big problems in that area. It's still
    not acceptable, but I'm higher up the food chain than most users, so
    generally don't require a great deal of help.

    HêlênsKï KlärK, Jun 15, 2006
  12. > I'll say it again, if you want dsl and a decent news server go to
    > WorldXchange (http://xnet.co.nz/internet/broadband.shtml)

    Thanks Tony. Can you provide some info as to why? I have had one
    isolated report about them which wasn't a particularly good one. A
    corporate level issue I won't elaborate on. I don't believe everything
    I hear, but it was a concern to me.

    I must say I did like the idea about dial-up portability. That was a
    little bit of an attraction, though not sure if that applied to
    broadband users too.

    HêlênsKï KlärK, Jun 15, 2006
  13. > Therefore we did the modeling and decided that the best price we could
    > set overage at was $10/5GB (i.e. $2/GB NOT $5/GB)

    Thanks for the feedback Seeby. Much appreciated.

    HêlênsKï KlärK, Jun 15, 2006
  14. > The major thing that lets slingshot down, is that they don't update the
    > status page on their website, so you don't know if a problem is at their end
    > on not. When they have or have had outages, their status page report 'no
    > known problem'. I told them this, and apparently they are looking into it.
    > Really there is no excuse for Slingshot not to update their status page, or
    > why do they bother having it. Perhaps Annette should look into managing her
    > own company properly before investigating becoming Telecoms CEO, as I
    > wouldn't have much faith in her as Telecoms boss.

    Thanks Vista.

    I believe Xtra have been just as guilty in the past, though this
    doesn't excuse Slingshot either. As a result of communications to high
    levels at Xtra, I may have helped with that situation, as they will now
    be looking closely at that process (known issues posted to web page and
    opening messages on the helpdesk phone systems). Here's hoping for the
    rest of you Xtra customers, but it doesn't concern me anymore.

    Take note please ISP's... keep your customers well informed (and
    happier) by update your 'known issues' helpdesk phone system
    introduction messages and web page messages, proactively, and quickly.
    It's a small thing you can do, but means alot to customers!

    HêlênsKï KlärK, Jun 15, 2006
  15. HêlênsKï KlärK

    Guest

    HêlênsKï KlärK wrote:

    > Take note please ISP's... keep your customers well informed (and
    > happier) by update your 'known issues' helpdesk phone system
    > introduction messages and web page messages, proactively, and quickly.
    > It's a small thing you can do, but means alot to customers!

    Thanks for the feedback, this is something that we at Orcon have been
    working particularly hard at lately. We have recently intoduced a text
    message system status service, which we are currently trialling.
    Feedback so far has been really positive, so it looks like something
    that we will retain as an ongong service.

    You can find out more about it here: http://www.orcon.net.nz/help/ or
    here: http://www.orcon.net.nz/company/press/20060516/

    Cheers,
    Duncan Blair
    Marketing Manager
    Orcon Internet

    , Jun 15, 2006
  16. > > Take note please ISP's... keep your customers well informed (and
    > > happier) by update your 'known issues' helpdesk phone system
    > > introduction messages and web page messages, proactively, and quickly.
    > > It's a small thing you can do, but means alot to customers!

    > Thanks for the feedback, this is something that we at Orcon have been
    > working particularly hard at lately. We have recently intoduced a text
    > message system status service, which we are currently trialling.
    > Feedback so far has been really positive, so it looks like something
    > that we will retain as an ongong service.
    >
    > You can find out more about it here: http://www.orcon.net.nz/help/ or
    > here: http://www.orcon.net.nz/company/press/20060516/
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Duncan Blair
    > Marketing Manager
    > Orcon Internet

    Hi Duncan,

    Although I am not an Orcon customer, I thank you for the response, and
    appreciate its public nature. I'm always pleased when customer service
    divisions sit up, listen, and take these matters seriously, and of
    course take the time to respond. But what impresses me most is when
    they actually back this up with action, as Orcon is doing, as you have
    pointed out. It makes a refreshing change to many other organisations
    (sometimes even large corporates) which seem to take their customers
    for granted, going as far sometimes even to treat them with apparent
    contempt, removing services surreptitiously, keeping them in the dark
    (through a lack of communication as pointed out earlier), and even
    telling them there aren't any 'real time' problems when in fact there
    are real and serious issues spanning several days... not to mention any
    names :)

    HêlênsKï KlärK, Jun 15, 2006
  17. HêlênsKï KlärK

    Tony Guest

    > I must say I did like the idea about dial-up portability. That was a
    > little bit of an attraction, though not sure if that applied to
    > broadband users too.

    I have had a server on their network for a couple of years so I have
    good inside knowledge. I have 1/2 dozen users on adsl with them and I'm
    moving another 10 or so on as the service far exceeds Xtra (and they
    have me fixed ip's so I can manager the users remotely). Their news
    server is extremely good, I've been using it for quite some time. They
    have made big improvements in their network (the only full IPV6 network
    that I know of in the country) over the last year.

    Tony, Jun 16, 2006
  18. > I have had a server on their network for a couple of years so I have
    > good inside knowledge. I have 1/2 dozen users on adsl with them and I'm
    > moving another 10 or so on as the service far exceeds Xtra (and they
    > have me fixed ip's so I can manager the users remotely). Their news
    > server is extremely good, I've been using it for quite some time. They
    > have made big improvements in their network (the only full IPV6 network
    > that I know of in the country) over the last year.

    I've already made my switch, but thanks for the feedback, and it is
    appreciated.

    Does anyone (in particular Slingshot staff), have any comment on this
    'router reset' issue? Two different people have mentioned it now.

    HêlênsKï KlärK, Jun 16, 2006

  19. > Does anyone (in particular Slingshot staff), have any comment on this
    > 'router reset' issue? Two different people have mentioned it now.

    Some modems just don't reconnect properly/crash sometimes when they get
    disconnected and they don't try to reconnect.

    Thanks
    Craig
    www.nzdsl.co.nz

    Craig Whitmore, Jun 16, 2006
  20. > Some modems just don't reconnect properly/crash sometimes when they get
    > disconnected and they don't try to reconnect.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Craig
    > www.nzdsl.co.nz

    Thanks Craig. Hopefully I won't have that issue.

    You guys having that issue, what sort of modems are you running?

    HêlênsKï KlärK, Jun 16, 2006