Xtra users using Opera

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Matty F, Aug 21, 2007.

  1. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    The new Webmail/Yahoo system that Xtra has changed their customers to,
    no longer works with Opera. They test for, and allow only IE and
    Firefox. However it allows me to log in using Opera and then logs me
    off without a warning message. If I pretend that Opera is IE,
    everything works OK. So it's not an Opera problem.

    To get around the problem, tell Opera to pretend to be IE when you log
    in to Webmail, as follows:

    "On sites that "sniff" for browsers, it will sometimes help to change
    Opera's identification. Opera identifies as Opera by default, but you
    can change that by editing the site preferences. This can be done by
    right clicking on the page, selecting "Edit site preferences...",
    clicking on the "Network" tab, and selecting another option from the
    "Browser identification" drop down. Identifying as another browser
    keeps "Opera" in the user agent string, while masking removes all
    traces of Opera. Please contact the site in question if you are
    blocked when using Opera."

    The technical people at Xtra are morons.

    Matty F, Aug 21, 2007

  2. On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 23:51:30 -0700, Matty F wrote:

    > The technical people at Xtra are morons.

    Tell us something new! :eek:)

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Aug 21, 2007

  3. Matty F

    Vista Guest

    "Matty F" <> wrote in message
    > The new Webmail/Yahoo system that Xtra has changed their customers to,
    > no longer works with Opera. They test for, and allow only IE and
    > Firefox. However it allows me to log in using Opera and then logs me
    > off without a warning message. If I pretend that Opera is IE,
    > everything works OK. So it's not an Opera problem.
    >
    > To get around the problem, tell Opera to pretend to be IE when you log
    > in to Webmail, as follows:
    >
    > "On sites that "sniff" for browsers, it will sometimes help to change
    > Opera's identification. Opera identifies as Opera by default, but you
    > can change that by editing the site preferences. This can be done by
    > right clicking on the page, selecting "Edit site preferences...",
    > clicking on the "Network" tab, and selecting another option from the
    > "Browser identification" drop down. Identifying as another browser
    > keeps "Opera" in the user agent string, while masking removes all
    > traces of Opera. Please contact the site in question if you are
    > blocked when using Opera."
    >
    > The technical people at Xtra are morons.

    I haven't had a problem using it with opera. They do have both a beta and
    normal version of the webmail console.

    Vista, Aug 22, 2007
  4. Matty F

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 23:51:30 -0700, in message <>,
    Matty F wrote:

    > The new Webmail/Yahoo system that Xtra has changed their customers to,
    > no longer works with Opera. They test for, and allow only IE and
    > Firefox.

    IE, Firefox, or Safari. But only on certain operating systems.

    I was playing with one of those Telecom web phones at an airport today.
    Those Telecom web phones run a kiosk-ized Firefox on Linux.
    The Yahoo/Xtra webmail system said this to the Telecom web phone...

    | Hmm... your browser is not officially supported.
    |
    | We recommend that you download a supported browser.
    |
    | Download a supported browser for free by clicking one of the links below:
    |
    | * Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher (Windows)
    | * Firefox 1.5 or higher (Windows and Mac)
    | * Safari 2.0+ (Mac)

    Hello? Is anyone at home between the ears? How can one "download a
    supported browser" when they don't support any browser at all on the OS?

    It's amusing to see Telecom subsidiary Xtra's outsourcing barf at
    a Telecom product. Own goals are always amusing.

    > The technical people at Xtra are morons.

    It certainly appears moronic. Although it isn't clear to me
    whether the finger should be pointed at Yahoo or Xtra or the
    communication between the two of them.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph